What type of trophy hunter are you? Do you focus on quality or quantity?

usapro2017

Quality for sure. Kinda meaningless to play for quantity, especially in this case.

I'm the completionist type, so whatever I play has to be completed at 100%... A habit left from playing RPG's when I was a kid, which usually helps me enjoy the games more but also sometimes despite them a bit. No garbage for easy trophies or hard games just for "reputation", if it is objectively good difficulty doesn't matter. No duplicate platinums or stacks, every trophy has to be one of kind(or at least as much as it can be).

I try to avoid games that have common platinums. Because in my eyes, anyone can do it and they’re not impressive. If it’s a game that I care about, for example Pirate Warriors 4, then I’ll do it, but otherwise I won’t. When I first started trophy hunting, I got quite a few common platinums, and that was also the period where I had the least fun getting trophies. Lots of them were bad games, like Orc Slayer, and they weren’t rewarding in the slightest. I now try to aim to get rarer platinums, as I believe they are a lot more impressive/ rewarding. Like if you see a list with 20 ultra rare platinums, in my eyes, it’s way more impressive than someone with 100 commons. Normally there are three main factors that I consider when starting up a game. 1. How much I like the game. 2. How many UR/VR/R trophies the game has. And finally, how long the game takes, and if it is worth that time. For example, if the game takes 100 hours, but only has a few ultra rares, is it worth doing? Because in that 100 hours I could do multiple other games, that are more rewarding. I definitely try to stick to the rule of quality over quantity.

I play games that sound like they could be fun and play them until I get the plat even if that may take over 6 years in some cases or I ended up not liking them.  I don't care if they are easy or hard.  Only thing that really deters me trophy wise is online MP required trophies and unobtainable trophies.  Mostly I'm focused on getting my backlog down and completion up so sometimes I'll focus on knocking out some easy stuff and other times I'll focus on getting a longer and harder one out of the way. 

I also don't consider quality to have anything to do with rarity.  3 of my UR plats are games I'd not recommend to anyone unless they are a masochist who loves grinding.  I'd consider a common plat for a game that was far more fun to be more worthwhile than the plat for games like Omega Quintet, Sorcery Saga and MeiQ that were boring grindfests.

A golden rule I set for myself is to not spam my profile with Ratalaika Games. One day I might try one or two of them, but for now they are a piss stain.

I can set my seven year old niece down, who doesn't know jack about video games, have her play a Ratalaika game, and get the platinum trophy for me. That is how embarrassingly easy they are.

Now, from time to time, I'm a sucker of point and clicks. Let's be honest here, with the internet age anybody can get the platinum in most point and clicks. But at the least they make you play them to the end. Some like Deponia, The Little Acre, Clockwork Tales of Glass & Ink and Day of the Tentacle Remastered were quite enjoyable. I have no issue with an easy platinum here and there or even often, but they have to be stuff that isn't going to insult my intelligence or isn't just a chore to get done.

My profile has a lot of easy games, however since 2017 I've focused mainly on doing games I want to do. The result is trophy hunting became a lot more enjoyable. Doing Sound Shapes six times was just a waste of time and energy. I was wanting to reach platinum #100, and I had no fun going for that milestone.

Quality over Quantity. Which means no competing on the leaderboards.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

Quality over quantity all the time. If a game is good and easy (like Concrete Genie) it is great but I do not aim for these games. It just has to tick some boxes and the developers have to put some effort into it. The games OP mentioned I could never play, cause they are simply shit and despite their old school look they are not even close to the quality games had on the NES or SNES. The only purpose for these games is the easy platinum but they are barely functional games. So yeah, for me it always should be a game that was not done in 3 days :)  .

• Like 1

I guess quality.  I have a lot of games that take like 50+ hours for a normal playthrough.  Going for the plat can double or triple that.  Like I'm playing Last Recode and I'd have probably beat the main story if I didn't stop to finish the books at the end of every disc.

8 hours ago, Copanele said:

I think the definition for me is Casual Trophy Hunter. I only aim to play games that I find interesting or are part of a franchise that I love. I don't aim to be in any Leaderboard top and I only occasionally care for milestones and backlog (I like the completion rate percentage not gonna lie :D ) . 

That's why my list is a bit of both : while I do have some decent platinums like SF5 and MK9 I also have stinkers like Devil May Cry 2 and Lords of the Fallen. Basically if the game looks fun I will play it. But in general yeah I aim towards quality. 

Me too, dude! I am in the same boat as you. I have no love for leaderboards but I absolutely hate multiplayer.

• Like 1

I just try to get the 100% completion in games I really want to play.

For games that I don't want a completion in, mainly because they have online features like sports games, I play them on my other account. 

But what you do find is that no matter how amazing a game can be, so few devs know how to put in an interesting trophy list. I can't play games without trophies as its like playing with a toy, but at the same time so many trophies actually wreck  an otherwise awesome experience. 

I'd say I've had about 200 games at 100% completion since 2008 or something, but I can probably count on one hand the amount of games that used the trophy features to its fullest potential as a positive experience towards the 100% completion. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

I play the games I enjoy. Trophies are a nice bonus. I'm not going to waste hours on mindless, repetitive, boring tasks I would do for the sole reason of getting a trophy. I don't use trophy guides unless I'm really stuck and struggling. Playing the game for the first time and following a guide is the worst gaming experience for me. Yet I see lot of people here doing so. Do you play the game just to get trophies? Often doing so you can't avoid spoilers, even minor ones. Why would I play Until Dawn following a guide or reading about all the trophies before I actually get to play the game? I understand people play games differently and for different reasons, it's just sometimes they take it to extremes.

There are so many people claiming unless you get 100% you didn't do everything the game had to offer. Yet at the same time, these people usually do the bare minimum to get 100% and ignore all the in-game challenges rewarding no trophies.

Sometimes I actually miss older consoles/PC games when trophies/achievements didn't exist.

• Like 2

Both. I have fun with the numbers and I enjoy the quality. To help me save time and money, I don't region stack at this time. So many games to play with limited time and money. Strike your balance.

• Like 1

I would never get the platinum for a game that don’t like. It’s a waste of my time when I could be getting trophies for games I like. Also some games I like, but won’t get the plat for like Skyrim. I play the game, complete everything I can, finish it and then decide whether I’m going to platinum it.

Mostly I just play what I want. usually doesn't do me wrong... other than Energy Invasion, I'll never stop hating that game with every fibre of my being. I don't understand how you mess up a brick attack game... I'm more careful now lol. I don't mind an easy plat, I have plenty. If I like a game I'll get the plat again if possible [how I wish Okami on PS4 had it's own list]. Been doing more Steam Achievements just to play through some of my favorites again and get all the achievements there. It's fun to earn some of them again.

I do have a few platinums of games I didn't really like that much, but they initially interested me. Like Gone to the Rapture. It's just not a good ~game~. I thought the narrative was interesting, the music was fantastic, although I didn't like the graphics. They're technically nice, but artistically dull to me. Other than how gorgeous the rain looks, but that's in the ugliest part of the game. And the little ghost fragment particles are neat. Feel like the way the game is designed it would've made more sense in VR. Although little interactivity with the world, like a lot of vr is known for, it would have made the story more immersive and the things they were doing to tell the story would work better if you're "in" the game instead of divorced from it in a flat version. Deracine scratched the itch I had hoped Gone to the Rapture would. Not just that it's VR, but just in terms of how it handled progression, story telling, characters and overall game design. But I digress.

That's why I like trophies. It really keeps your experiences with games in a neat little profile and at least for me, makes it easier to remember a bunch of useless stuff about the games you've played. Sometimes I just look at the games I've played and it takes me back to when I was playing them a lot, and realizing I earned more in the trophies than I thought. Like Crash Commando which was one of the first games I played from PSN. Or, the experience of getting the platinum. Sometimes it's a long journey of twists and betrayals like Mini Ninjas. Sometimes it's a breeze. Sometimes it's just a lot of fun, or it's really rewarding.

There are so many games I would likely have never gone back to if not for trophies. X-Blades [regretfully ;p], TMNT Re-Shelled, Sound Shapes [ugh death mode], Legend of Korra [bending minigame ugh], Color Guardians, 3 on 3 NHL Arcade [eh... lol]

And sometimes, I just overcome something I would have otherwise never bothered with. Like getting the platinums in Bayonetta [PS3/PS4]. Didn't think I'd be able to do it, but trophies motivated me to try to play more than just finishing the story on normal. I sure wouldn't have tried beating the time trial thing in Titanfall 2 if not for trophies. Or getting SCVI's platinum, I likely wouldn't have even finished the story mode at all if not for trophies. I'm bad at fighters. Never would have finished Spec Ops The Line on hard or FUBAR if not for trophies motivating me to go back.

I kind of miss shorter games having 100% though. I don't personally mind a 100% game. So long as it's not insane to get some crappy bronze trophy, that's always sad. Just feel like some games don't need a platinum. But Sony don't care and there's nothing I can do about it.

The easier games are a nice break from a harder one. I was incredibly stressed after the Soul Calibur VI platinum. I cannot overstate how bad I am at a fighting game and how stressful it was for me to not just win online, I choke hard, but also that one crap in the single player with the stupid OP rules even using a cheesy character wasn't easy for me. After that I followed it up with multiple easy licensed games. I know tons of people assume people who play them only do it for trophies, but I enjoy a mediocre game that's just some mindless fun with simplistic mechanics. I play LEGO games after all.

tl;dr - Fun first.

• Like 2

Both. Why not have the best of both worlds? I play for trophies and in that I play great and bad games. Don't really care, helps me experience a wide array of games and experiences. 

After all without aiming for quantity how will I ever reach my lifetime goal of 500 plats? Haha. 

But without also playing for quality, how would I ever have come to experience some of the best series I love to death (Star Ocean, Disgaea, Final Fantasy, etc)?

You can have it all if you really want too. 

• Like 2

I play boring games and good games just to collect trophies but I buy the boring games when there a good deal very cheap discount, I will not waste my money buying games I don't like with $40+

I search for games by myself I don't like the kind of people only chasing good graphics games. I only care about platinum my favorite games, but I don't have time to play all my beautiful games, while I'm busy with work and family I play the easy platinum games to save my time and Leveling up my precious profile. when I have free time I play my favorite games. I like to discover new games and unknown companies it's so fun to find a beautiful game by yourself no one telling you about that game, making a trophy guide for that unknown game more enjoyable.

Edited by Naomie_Len

I only buy games I know I'll enjoy. I have a couple of ps+ games that I have no intention of platinuming like heavy rain or Detroit become human. Ya it was fun to play through them once or twice, but I see no point of going back and getting the plat. I go after platinums in games I love, regardless of how hard or easy they are. I don't have time to waste on stuff I hate, and honestly I don't get it why some folks would choose to do that.

I always try to go for 100%, don't play easy games except episodic ones like Telltale or LiS and don't support titles that unnecessarily add multiplayer. At first I look at the trophy guide a bit, but my initial playthrough is blind, unless game has missables and is 200h long.