What type of trophy hunter are you? Do you focus on quality or quantity?

usapro2017

Quality is what I go for all the way, I can't find the appeal in spending money to get ridiculously easy platinums and not have much fun while doing so, power to the people who do it but it's not for me. I'm not a huge trophy hunter myself, which is probably what plays into it, but I really enjoy getting platinums and trophies that are challenging or just require me to go and do things I usually wouldn't which can often help better appreciate the game.

I play games that I know I'll enjoy and if I can get them at a decent price and see as a good recommendation from this site etc and it takes my fancy I'll buy something different also. 

If it has a platinum that I believe that I can get then I'll do that but I'll never buy games for platinum sake, although I have a few cheap platinums it's either because I wanted to see them for their quickness due to hype or wanted to try the game.

I regret slyde though as that was far to cheap and easy and knocked my fastest platinum which was legit out the water.

I mostly play games, I don't bother looking up trophy lists beforehand.

If it interests me, I'll play it. If the Platinum is possible, I'll give it a shot. If it's boring, I won't play it again. Simple approach, really.

I am definitely am a quality trophy hunter,  I usually go for plats that are obtainable to me,. As I have a huge backlog I do what I can in a game to please my satisfaction. If that satisfaction is getting the plat then that fine. With me playing a ton of jrpgs then that can make it difficult to get the plat but if it obtainable then it worth it.

Simple question for me:

"The one that still see games like what they are... games and still want to have fun and if in the progress I feel or want to get the plat I go for it if not I don't care not having a 100% on any game if I already had the fun I want or need it with it."

There are few times when I obligate myself to a get a plat I didn't enjoy and that was more be cause a challenge or be cause I wanted to prove that I can doit, or simply have that particular one that something else for example I didn't enjoy to much the insane run on Outlast 2 but but my ego and pride made me accept and front & succes the challenge.

Edited by NordicSaiyan

Like most people, I always go for games I enjoyed. Right now, I'm taking a break or slowing down because I already reached 100. As much as I love trophy hunting, sometimes you need break from something. I might go back with games like Ghost, Spongebob, and if it gets released, Cyberpunk. And perhaps other games in my backlog. I gave up doing easy plats for the sake of easy plats because they're just not fun. Something like Telltale I don't mind because I genuinely enjoy those games, but Rat games. Nah. 

• Like 1

On 24/07/2020 at 5:37 PM, usapro2017 said:

I get that trophy hunting is a lot of fun but for me, I could never devote my time and money playing awful games just for easy trophies.

I love hunting trophies but ONLY in good/great games I actually had fun playing with. The types of games I would happily play if trophies never existed.

My first playthrough of a game is always going in blind and playing just for fun.

If I liked the game, I‘ll then look at the trophy list and work on the Platinum/100% on my second playthrough. These are the types of games I would still happily play if trophies never even existed.

Personally I could never buy garbage like Crash Dummy, Little Adventure On The Prairie, Slyde, Orc Slayer, Toro, Eekeemoo etc just for easy Platinums. For me, it’s a waste of money and more importantly my precious time that I will never get back.

We are all different in how/why we trophy hunt. So are you hunting more for quality or quantity?

Completely agree with you. Thank God that there is someone else out there who has the same mentality.

Too many people on here play games they wouldn't otherwise or play terrible/easy games just to add to their list which never made any sense to me. 

It also annoys me when people are complaining because they're trying to glitch or cheap a certain trophy and someone just tells them to do it properly and they take offense ?

All jokes aside. After reading a lot of these replies. They do seem to be more on the quality side so it's all good.

Edited by The_UW_98

I want to think that I am a well rounded trophy hunter. I play games that I want to play for the most part. I sprinkle in some easy platinums here and there but I don't devote a lot of time on them. I do have a vita so I tend to also double dip on the Ratalaika games. I don't go crazy with changing regions or anything but if I own it, I'll go for it.  I am an older gamer so when I see easy quick platinums it is more appealing with limited time to budget.  I still like to work on what many would consider legitimate platinums. 

I've changed my approach to trophy hunting considerably over the last few years.  I find most aaa games boring and find getting easy trophies on rata games way more fun.  My approach is play a free game from plus for a challenge but then stack the hell out of rata games.  Only if they're on a good sale though.  

I play what I like, and try to get 100% at it, including DLCs. Blind walkthrough at first, avoid "free" platinums, and hate multiplayer grinding. I think that completion rate and obtained percentage average talk enough about our trophy collection and the kind of players that we are.

Never bought a game because of the platinum. Even Everybodys Gone to The Rapture, which I tought would be interesting, but ended up being a hot pile of junk.

Even though I always boot up a game with the intention to platinum it, I don't always do. If the skill/time required is way beyond my grade, like Hollow Knight and DMC5, which I loved, I don't mind shelving it. One more reason to go back to these games for years.

I'm also not into the genre that usually gets stackable lists. My games are usually the next AAA hit or some colorful indie platformer..I think i's just my gig, not really interested on trying some jrpgs or other stuff with NA, EU and JP lists.

I think I'm quality over quantity, even though quality is a personal term. Anyway, I'll get to 100 platinums eventually, and It's gonna feel great.

I play whatever I want. I don't care much for trophy completion percentage. If I want to plat it I will but mostly I just want to enjoy my time with a game. However I am also not opposed to grinding my face off for a platinum. Nor am I opposed to buying those cheap cash grabs with easy plats. 

I usually play triple A games I'm interested in alternating long or difficult games with quick games, even indie ones, that got generally positive reviews. Even doing this, some trophies manage to piss me off, can't imagine the pain if the same would happen while playing crap just for trophies.

I definitely focus more on quality. I'll go for a tough Plat like Dead Space 2 or The Evil Within(arguably the 2 hardest Plats I have, I'd say) because of how much I love those games over a MUCH easier Plat for a game that I don't like. That's why I have so many games that only have like 25-75% trophies, cuz if I don't enjoy the game enough to go for the Plat, or hell to even play the game again after beating it, then I'm just not gonna do it......for the most part anyways. 

• 3 years later...