Do you think we’ll finally be able to change PSN region with PS5?

DarthPhoenix7

I haven’t played any PS games since 2011. I used to live in another region country and created my account there, all my trophies are there for the PS3.

I am now getting back into PS gaming but am conflicted whether to use my old account or just make a new US region account. Because of course Sony, unlike all the other majors videogame companies, won’t let you change your country/region. So you need to have multiple accounts.

I am thinking of just using the old account because maybe when the PS5 comes, Sony will finally let you change the region? 

Why? I just don’t like having the old account’s country flag next to my username in multiplayers games and online boards.

Edited by DarthPhoenix7

This should already be an option for people who move to a different country.

they could easily implement it so that you can only change your region, like this, for example: 

-Only can change it once per year.

-Any currency in your wallet will either be removed or converted to other countries' currency.

-Purchased Games will remain in the region you bought them and they'll have the country code near their name when hovering on them e.g. NA, EU,  AU, etc and if you by DLC for a game that you previously bought in a different region you'll be given a warning and asked if you'd like to purchase the DLC from the store with the compatible region

If someone can think of anything else that should be added to the list. Go ahead and suggest.

• Like 2

I think it's unlikely they'll change their stance on this.  It's not a hardware issue, it's not even really a network issue.  It's more of the legal agreements that they set in place for selling digital products in different countries.  Even though they could simply implement a "once a year" change or something, they likely won't.  They find it easy enough to just tell people to make a new account.

11 minutes ago, YORGOS_PB said:

I really hope so, been trapped with a USA account since PS3 was released

Same, US since Croatia was not available until years later

And I would be top 30ish here with the trophy count I have

Tired of running two accounts just to have PS+/buy games on one and play everything anyway on my USA one

Region change is long overdue

• Like 2

A little question now that we are in the topic....

If I have two accounts one with my country and the other one with the country I had to select first (USA) be cause I was living there and this one have de Ps Plus. I can buy games on the account with my real country put it principal and when I'm playing with my main account but with USA region I still can use Ps Plus to download and play games?

18 minutes ago, NordicSaiyan said:

A little question now that we are in the topic....

If I have two accounts one with my country and the other one with the country I had to select first (USA) be cause I was living there and this one have de Ps Plus. I can buy games on the account with my real country put it principal and when I'm playing with my main account but with USA region I still can use Ps Plus to download and play games?

If I understand your question, yes you can. You need PS+ on the account that you are downloading and installing the games from. But once the game is installed, you can log out of the PS+ account and play the game under any account on that console.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Unlikely. International Intellectual Property treaties and control would forbid Sony from ever making that call themselves.

Nevertheless Microsoft allows to change region of xbox live account, once in six months IIRC. As well as Steam Store.

On 24/07/2020 at 1:46 PM, Valkirye22 said:

Same, US since Croatia was not available until years later

And I would be top 30ish here with the trophy count I have

Tired of running two accounts just to have PS+/buy games on one and play everything anyway on my USA one

Region change is long overdue

I'm in the exact same train, it took them like 11 years to let you change your PSN ID so I expect we'll be able to change region by the end of the PS5 era

On 7/24/2020 at 1:45 PM, JediOniram said:

I think it's unlikely they'll change their stance on this.  It's not a hardware issue, it's not even really a network issue.  It's more of the legal agreements that they set in place for selling digital products in different countries.  Even though they could simply implement a "once a year" change or something, they likely won't.  They find it easy enough to just tell people to make a new account.

It's not quite that.  Like it was mentioned, other platforms do allow changing region.  However there are legit issues that arise from that ability.  One is abuse from people changing to a region that allows them to access more content but isn't one they actually live in.  Another is that people do it in error or a hacker does it without their permission.  There are legal areas that cause issues as well, and that can result in purchased content no longer being available on an account.

To be honest, I prefer Sony's route of not allowing it.  No potential of abuse.  No potential of people changing their region in "error"  or for their region to be changed due to a hacker.  No people getting mad because content they purchased is not playable in the new region and so on.  It's a support nightmare that seemed to cause more problems than it solved thanks to stupid people and abuse.  Trust me, even a limit of once a year doesn't work well when you then have to tell someone they have to wait a year to change back because a hacker changed their region or they weren't paying attention and changed their region in "error".  No amount of warnings about what it is about to do stops people from being dumb and not reading what they are accepting.  What you suggest may sound reasonable, but it fails to take into account the fact that many users are indeed that dumb.  That's why I feel it is better to just not allow it.

16 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

It's not quite that.  Like it was mentioned, other platforms do allow changing region.  However there are legit issues that arise from that ability.  One is abuse from people changing to a region that allows them to access more content but isn't one they actually live in.  Another is that people do it in error or a hacker does it without their permission.  There are legal areas that cause issues as well, and that can result in purchased content no longer being available on an account.

To be honest, I prefer Sony's route of not allowing it.  No potential of abuse.  No potential of people changing their region in "error"  or for their region to be changed due to a hacker.  No people getting mad because content they purchased is not playable in the new region and so on.  It's a support nightmare that seemed to cause more problems than it solved thanks to stupid people and abuse.  Trust me, even a limit of once a year doesn't work well when you then have to tell someone they have to wait a year to change back because a hacker changed their region or they weren't paying attention and changed their region in "error".  No amount of warnings about what it is about to do stops people from being dumb and not reading what they are accepting.  What you suggest may sound reasonable, but it fails to take into account the fact that many users are indeed that dumb.  That's why I feel it is better to just not allow it.

Honestly since I've been playing online (PS3) I had one out of hundreds of people we played with at any given point having been hacked or with such issues - and that guy way trading account passwords on forums for sharing games. People can be as stupid as they want all Sony needs to do it write a cohesive TOU no one will read where it says if you switch regions you might not have access to certain games (and pop a list based on your library). People can already have multiple accounts if they want some niche games from far-off markets. 

Otherwise a lot of countries lagged with being available, some still aren't, and considering the trophy hunting aspect it makes sense to stick to your account. For example PS Now is still not available for me.

In the end, people move all the time and might want to update their region/store. For every example of abuse there are thousands of legitimate reasons players would want to change the region/country they are in. As long as they have all the facts (cancelled wallet funds, game access, limited switches) pointed out it should be their choice.

• 4 weeks later...

If the problem was about been afraid of been hacked or change because people did that as an error, changing their psn name as they can do now would not be possible, but i did not hear anyone with those troubles. If sony were able to change psn names, they are very capable to change the country region. They can even implement something like: You can change back to your first store region if you did not bought a game or dlc in the new store (in case someone hacked or pressed by mistake) and after that wait a year before they can change again. And i would not even bother if they put something like the first change of store was free, and the others changes only if you pay like 9 dollars or 4,99 if you have plus just like the psn name 

On 7/24/2020 at 10:53 AM, DarthPhoenix7 said:

I haven’t played any PS games since 2011. I used to live in another region country and created my account there, all my trophies are there for the PS3.

I am now getting back into PS gaming but am conflicted whether to use my old account or just make a new US region account. Because of course Sony, unlike all the other majors videogame companies, won’t let you change your country/region. So you need to have multiple accounts.

I am thinking of just using the old account because maybe when the PS5 comes, Sony will finally let you change the region? 

Why? I just don’t like having the old account’s country flag next to my username in multiplayers games and online boards.

This is one of the reasos why I want Playstation to keep supporting physical copies of games for future consoles. 

2 hours ago, Mr-ttaM said:

I personally would love if regions were a thing of the past. I know how controversial that is, because of how many people like region stacks 1f605.png

Not likely to happen any time soon because of all the legalities involved in releasing to multiple regions.  Having region tied only to account is a huge improvement over the past of region being tied to console, but there are too many differences between each country's laws to be able to ditch regions entirely.    Regions ensure that devs and Sony remain in compliance of laws and do not knowingly sell games to people who they cannot sell the games to.  Sony actually is a bit more generous than other companies that actually base it on IP and block the ability for someone to sign up for an account in another country or block the download of purchased content if the IP indicates they are not in the account's region.  Many services out there would actually require someone to use a proxy or vpn to do what many people on this site do to obtain games from other region's stores.  Some will even ban users who use a vpn or proxy to bypass regional restrictions.  The best we can hope for is that Sony doesn't grow more strict about enforcing regional restrictions, but as long as there are so many variances in the legalities, regions can't go away entirely.

• 3 months later...
On 22/08/2020 at 11:52 PM, ladynadiad said:

Sony actually is a bit more generous than other companies that actually base it on IP and block the ability for someone to sign up for an account in another country or block the download of purchased content if the IP indicates they are not in the account's region.  Many services out there would actually require someone to use a proxy or vpn to do what many people on this site do to obtain games from other region's stores.  Some will even ban users who use a vpn or proxy.

Does anyone think Sony will crack down on those that have multiple region accounts on one system? I saw an article where they were banning systems and accounts where people were selling access to their library. Obviously that's one end of the spectrum, just hoping solo users won't get put in the same category.