Ghost of Tsushima becomes fastest selling first-party original IP on PS4

Redgrave

I don't buy the hype.

Truthfully I'm drifting away from these modern AAA games as time goes on. Even the reveal of the new God of War game on the PlayStation 5 isn't really making me happy. And this is coming from a guy who got the original God of War on the PlayStation 2 back in early 2005, within a couple days of its release. I am a veteran of the franchise.

Ghosts of Tsushima probably has the best theme that I've seen out of the PS4 open world exclusives. God of War 2018, not a huge fan of the Valkyrie/Game of Thrones/Viking theme. Horizon Zero Dawn carried a primitive and futuristic theme to it, so it was a bit interesting. Marvel's Spider-Man has a pretty boring and bland theme. New York City and Manhattan, with everybody's favorite and most popular Marvel superhero Spider-Man himself.

I won't play this game until early 2021 at the least. I got far too much crap on my backlog to just jump on the latest PS4 exclusive. I'll be getting this game at a reduced price, which sounds a lot more appealing than the $60 I would have to pay if I bought it right now.

Record selling sales, impressive 4K graphics. I don't know. I just feel like an old guy who is not impressed with a lot of today's offerings.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I don't buy the hype.

Truthfully I'm drifting away from these modern AAA games as time goes on. Even the reveal of the new God of War game on the PlayStation 5 isn't really making me happy. And this is coming from a guy who got the original God of War on the PlayStation 2 back in early 2005, within a couple days of its release. I am a veteran of the franchise.

Ghosts of Tsushima probably has the best theme that I've seen out of the PS4 open world exclusives. God of War 2018, not a huge fan of the Valkyrie/Game of Thrones/Viking theme. Horizon Zero Dawn carried a primitive and futuristic theme to it, so it was a bit interesting. Marvel's Spider-Man has a pretty boring and bland theme. New York City and Manhattan, with everybody's favorite and most popular Marvel superhero Spider-Man himself.

I won't play this game until early 2021 at the least. I got far too much crap on my backlog to just jump on the latest PS4 exclusive. I'll be getting this game at a reduced price, which sounds a lot more appealing than the $60 I would have to pay if I bought it right now.

Record selling sales, impressive 4K graphics. I don't know. I just feel like an old guy who is not impressed with a lot of today's offerings.

Not a bad choice.  After finishing the platinum, I think the game is good, but I still only think it ends up being around a 7 out of 10.  It is pretty much just another open world game.  I enjoyed it more than Marvel's Spider-Man since Ghost of Tsushima at least didn't get quite as repetitive doing the side content. The characters and atmosphere of the game are generally well done, but I started to get pretty bored doing all the mongol camps.  A lot of the side content just ends up giving you more vanity options which isn't something I care that much about. 

Almost all of your combat options, save a few ghost techniques and a couple sub-weapons, are unlocked before the end of Act 1 if you're thorough and the rest of the game is just acquiring techniques and charms that raise your killing speed.  Enemy toughness scales in each act so it doesn't feel like you're progressing that much though.  The game is pretty easy so it doesn't really matter, however.  I did 90% of the game in the traveler's attire which is the worst armor in the game for combat/stealth and didn't lose any fights on normal difficulty except a couple duels in Act 1 before I had most of my techniques.  The game basically forces that armor on you if you want to find the collectibles though.  It sorta felt like a bad game design decision since most of us would have preferred to use a better armor and not have to keep pausing the game every fight to put on something else unless you were too lazy to do that like me.

Stealth wasn't that interesting to me and felt too slow and largely a lot less fun than just going samurai mode and perfect parrying my way through everything.  You can't move bodies or do anything that fancy we haven't already seen in other games here.

The story's main conflict is obvious within the first few hours of the game as well.  Overall the game plays it extremely safe and nothing ends up being much of a shocker.

Edited by Elegy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Golden Devil Gamer said:

Idk if Spider-Man would be considered as a new IP or not, since that sold over 3 million in three days. That being said, Spider-Man's pretty much a brand and the fact that GoT came close to those numbers just shows how strong the pre-release hype for this game was. Sucker Punch deserves it though. They've departed from their cartoony/comic-book style to what is basically uncharted territory for them. And not only is the game something so different from what they've worked on before, but they have made what is arguably their best work yet.

I'd still argue that inFamous is the best thing they made. The story of that game and the twists are so phenomenal. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, reiner- said:

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but the most impressive thing about this game is the load times.

What kind of sorcery is this?

It's funny during a load screen how there is the option to see "next hint". There's barely enough time to press the the button for next hint let alone read the hint. 1f602.png

Man the load times were the greatest, I always thought I didn't like open world games but Ghosts made me realize it was only because load times and travel.  Since Ghosts had 2-3 second fast travel it made it feel like I was playing in a smaller world because I didn't have to wait for a 1 minute loading screen or walk across the map.  

Honestly this game broke into my top 3 of the generation up there with Bloodborne and Nier.  I really hope the whole "Mainland" hints through the end of the game end up being a sequel.  

When I saw the original trailers for this game I thought "Just another open world game." Which it is but it still had me hooked and it has me extremely excited for PS5 load times.

Edited by iGGTheEnd
  • Like 1