Ghost of Tsushima becomes fastest selling first-party original IP on PS4

Redgrave

Didn't want to create another thread but patch 1.05 is suppose to go live today. Includes a new difficulties. One called Lethal.

Later today, patch 1.05 for Ghost of Tsushima will be released, bringing new combat and text options.

This patch includes the following new updates:

New difficulty level: Lethal

• – Enemy weapons are more deadly, but Jin’s katana is also more deadly
  • – Enemies are more aggressive in combat
  • – Enemies detect you faster
  • – Tighter Parry and Dodge windows

Patch 1.05 will also include the following new options in the accessibility menu:

Lower Intensity Combat

Lower intensity mode is meant to maintain the heart and feel of Ghost of Tsushima combat while relaxing several timing-specific elements. Combat is less intense, giving you more time to react. Stealth settings are more forgiving, and enemies take longer to detect you.

• – Most enemy attacks which are normally unblockable become blockable when Lower Intensity is enabled. Blocking with L1 will keep you safe from more attacks than standard combat, though some attacks must still be dodged.
  • – Enemies break off their attack combos after damaging you, giving you a chance to recover before the next wave of attacks. In addition, your heavy attacks will interrupt attacks from Brutes, giving you another way to stop their combos.
  • – Enemies will not attack you while you’re using Resolve to heal
  • – Enemy awareness builds more slowly, giving you more time to recover after being spotted

Text changes

• – Large Text option: Increases text size of subtitles, mission objectives and interact prompts by 150% when enabled
  • – Added option to turn speaker name off when subtitles are enabled
  • – New subtitle text color options in addition to white: Yellow, Blue, Red, Green

Patch 1.05 also includes additional bug fixes.

https://www.suckerpunch.com/ghost-of-tsushima-patch-1-05-details/

• Like 1

Yakuza Director Praises Ghost of Tsushima, Says Japan Should have Made It

To be honest, we [Japan] were beaten,” he replied with a chuckle. “Yeah, of course, we’re losing. Honestly, I think that’s a game that should be made in Japan.” But, he continued, you can tell that the developers did a massive amount of research.

The Kurosawa Mode doesn’t simply change the colour [to black and white], but has more of a technical approach by properly changing the number of frames to that in old movies.

Foreigners who tickle the fancy of Japanese people more than Japanese people are…rather amazing, no?” Nagoshi added, “There’s like a notion that Westerners don’t understand things (about Japan), but that hypothesis itself is mistaken.

I don’t know the actors who did the motion capture, but the care given to their expressions is impressive,” Nagoshi continued, adding that he performances were outstanding. He was also impressed with the glances and looks the characters give during the cutscenes. He pointed out that, at Sega, this was something his team aimed for, explaining that this sort of detail of time-consuming.

“The protagonist [Jin] isn’t a particularly handsome lead, don’t you think? At your typical [Japanese] company, if you showed concept art for a character like him, I don’t think it would be approved.” The marketing team, he continued, would offer all this data stating why such a lead character was a bad idea, and that would be the end of a lead like Jin. Nagoshi thought it was amazing that such a protagonist was the lead character.“All this money and development time is being spent on this middle-aged dude.” He applauded the resolve to entrust things in such a character.

There are numerous things I bow my head to, like aiming at setting a game in that time period…I could go on and on,” said Nagoshi. “I feel an earnest sense of a job well done.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/07/yakuza-director-praises-ghost-of-tsushima-says-japan-should-have-made-it/

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 9:24 PM, griffin123456789 said:

I'd still argue that inFamous is the best thing they made. The story of that game and the twists are so phenomenal. 

inFamous 2 was my favorite Sucker Punch game until this one. I'm really enjoying this experience. Yes, it's another open world, it has many of the same elements that we see in other games, and there's a lot of repetition (too many fox dens), but the setting is beautiful, the story is interesting, and the side characters are better developed than in most games. The combat is fun but not too difficult to master, and overall, it's just a fun game.

I'd love to see another inFamous game at some point (maybe they find a way to bring Cole back), but I would equally look forward to a sequel to Ghost, because it's been a surprise to me how much I've liked this game.

Edited by NeilBefore_ZOD
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, NeilBefore_ZOD said:

there's a lot of repetition (too many fox dens)

Disagree~ those are the best. I love following a fox around.

I'd say there's too many banners and other similar collectables, but those thankfully aren't 100% required for plat.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Disagree~ those are the best. I love following a fox around.

I'd say there's too many banners and other similar collectables, but those thankfully aren't 100% required for plat.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the foxes. Maybe it's because I had so many left to do all in a row to finish them off. It's a neat idea, and I thought it was cool at first, but there are 49 of them in the game. I think it would have been fine without about half of that number.

I agree on the banners, though I find the mongol artifacts and records somewhat interesting because they give some background on the Mongol invasion, and insight into some of the story.

Overall, there's not a lot to complain about in this game, and I think it might be what ends up as my personal game of the year. I just think slightly less repetition would have made it even better.

4 hours ago, NeilBefore_ZOD said:

Overall, there's not a lot to complain about in this game, and I think it might be what ends up as my personal game of the year. I just think slightly less repetition would have made it even better.

I wish that was the case for all open world games to be honest 

12 hours ago, NeilBefore_ZOD said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the foxes. Maybe it's because I had so many left to do all in a row to finish them off. It's a neat idea, and I thought it was cool at first, but there are 49 of them in the game. I think it would have been fine without about half of that number.

I agree on the banners, though I find the mongol artifacts and records somewhat interesting because they give some background on the Mongol invasion, and insight into some of the story.

I didn’t feel that 49 at all, I only had like 2 or 3 missed by the end and was always happy to see one. I wish I could’ve felt that way about the bird, but it being attached to the banners and a bunch of other things, plus being glitchy in it’s flying just didn’t do it as much for me. 

To each their own. 

On 7/24/2020 at 7:52 PM, djb5f said:

While it is only 60% of what TLOU2 sold in its first three days, it is still pretty impressive.

TLoU2 is not only a sequel, but a sequel to one of the most acclaimed games of all time, with years of hype leading up to its release and one of the biggest marketing campaigns for a video game I’ve ever seen behind it. Ghost of Tsushima is a brand new IP with no legs to stand on. I’d say by selling 60% of the amount TLoU2 did, Ghosts of Tsushima did pretty damn good. I’d have to imagine for Sucker Punch and Sony it exceeded sales expectations by quite a lot. I’d be truly surprised if either of them had anticipated it selling this well.

In contrast, the 4 million copies The Last of Us 2 sold in 72 hours is very impressive no matter how you cut it. But considering the first game sold 17+ million copies during its lifetime, that’s potentially upwards of 14 million consumers who didn’t rush out to buy the sequel on release, at a time when most people are stuck at home with nothing to do but play video games and blow their stimulus cheques.

It’s still a huge win for Sony and Naughty Dog regardless, but I can’t help but wonder if behind the scenes they were expecting higher numbers. If a regular old nobody like me is curiously wondering why those 14+ million people weren’t converted into sales of the second game, I’m sure some of the big wigs are also wondering the same thing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

In contrast, the 4 million copies The Last of Us 2 sold in 72 hours is very impressive no matter how you cut it. But considering the first game sold 17+ million copies during its lifetime, that’s potentially upwards of 14 million consumers who didn’t rush out to buy the sequel on release, at a time when most people are stuck at home with nothing to do but play video games and blow their stimulus cheques.

It’s still a huge win for Sony and Naughty Dog regardless, but I can’t help but wonder if behind the scenes they were expecting higher numbers. If a regular old nobody like me is curiously wondering why those 14+ million people weren’t converted into sales of the second game, I’m sure some of the big wigs are also wondering the same thing.

They got the game digitally through the PS Store. Much safer than going out in the real world with COVID-19 still on the loose.

All the big wigs care about is money and sales. Nothing else matters to them. I will admit both The Last of Us Part II and Ghosts of Tsushima are high quality games that a lot of people should play. Right now I'm broke and I can't afford to pay for a $60 game, so I will wait for the price tag to drop.

• Like 1

I'm excited to hear it did so well. I had zero hype or expectations going in, and was only convinced to give it a shot by some glowing reviews from people I generally trust. Biggest surprise for me in a while, and definitely my personal game of the year so far too. It wasn't terribly innovative but it did everything it set out to do extremely well.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Spaz said:

All the big wigs care about is money and sales. Nothing else matters to them. I will admit both The Last of Us Part II and Ghosts of Tsushima are high quality games that a lot of people should play. Right now I'm broke and I can't afford to pay for a $60 game, so I will wait for the price tag to drop.

Thankfully I’m not broke right now, but that doesn’t stop me from being a cheap ass. ?

I’m not gonna lie.. I really hate buying brand new games. Occasionally I will, but a brand new game is $80 here in Canada, or almost $90 if you buy a physical copy in store. It’s criminal. As badly as I wantEd to add both of those games to my trophy cabinet on release, it’s just not worth it. I’ve had to settle for watching long plays and clocking some hours in at my buddy’s house for now lol.

I dropped almost $300 on games this month, which seems like a lot of money at first until you see how far that money stretched. Between a handful of digital PS4 titles in the summer sales and a huge stack of physical PS3 games, I got 30 games for that money. 30! 

One source I use for brand new games sometimes is my local library. Those guys are surprisingly quick to pick up new PS4 games on release (usually within the first week). I couldn’t believe it but I’m actually first in line for both TLoU2 & GoT. The only problem is that Covid-19 is really slowing things down though so as to when my copies will arrive idk. They’re still on order right now.

Do you have a library near you? You should check it out and see if they have a good catalogue of PS4 games. Could save you some cash!

9 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I’m not gonna lie.. I really hate buying brand new games. Occasionally I will, but a brand new game is $80 here in Canada, or almost $90 if you buy a physical copy in store. It’s criminal. As badly as I wantEd to add both of those games to my trophy cabinet on release, it’s just not worth it. I’ve had to settle for watching long plays and clocking some hours in at my buddy’s house for now lol.

I've bought a number of AAA games this generation at full price and within the first week. Fallout 4, Marvel's Spider-Man, God of War 2018, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Assassin's Creed Origins, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and Middle Earth: Shadow of War. Spider-Man was the last game I paid $60 for.

To me it's just better to wait a bit for the price. $80 is far too expensive, $60 is still too much for me to afford right now.

Haven't been to the library in forever. Prior to COVID-19 I spent a couple days last summer shopping around in Walmart looking for a PS4 game to pick up. Some were already in bargain bins, managed to get The Evil Within for incredibly cheap.

Ghosts.... going to have to wait for a sale. I bought Assassin's Creed Odyssey for $29.99 for all DLC including Assassin's Creed III Remastered and Assassin's Creed Liberation Remastered, so I was satisfied.

22 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I bought Assassin's Creed Odyssey for $29.99 for all DLC including Assassin's Creed III Remastered and Assassin's Creed Liberation Remastered, so I was satisfied.

I got this exact same deal a few months ago. Satisfied is right! ?

That reminds me I need to actually dust it off and play it lol. It’s the last remaining AC game in the series that I haven’t played yet.

On 25.7.2020 at 4:52 AM, djb5f said:

While it is only 60% of what TLOU2 sold in its first three days, it is still pretty impressive.

Yeah true. But Last of us 2 would sell good regardless after the success of the first one. For a new IP its always harder to sell a lot on launch day.

Congrats to Sucker Punch really well done.

Must feel really good if you work on a project for so long and then its received so good by the fans and journalists.

Edited by Storfl_92

• 2 months later...