Ghost of Tsushima becomes fastest selling first-party original IP on PS4

Redgrave

• 2 months later...
On 7/24/2020 at 9:15 PM, Elegy said:

Not a bad choice.  After finishing the platinum, I think the game is good, but I still only think it ends up being around a 7 out of 10.  It is pretty much just another open world game.  I enjoyed it more than Marvel's Spider-Man since Ghost of Tsushima at least didn't get quite as repetitive doing the side content. The characters and atmosphere of the game are generally well done, but I started to get pretty bored doing all the mongol camps.  A lot of the side content just ends up giving you more vanity options which isn't something I care that much about. 

Almost all of your combat options, save a few ghost techniques and a couple sub-weapons, are unlocked before the end of Act 1 if you're thorough and the rest of the game is just acquiring techniques and charms that raise your killing speed.  Enemy toughness scales in each act so it doesn't feel like you're progressing that much though.  The game is pretty easy so it doesn't really matter, however.  I did 90% of the game in the traveler's attire which is the worst armor in the game for combat/stealth and didn't lose any fights on normal difficulty except a couple duels in Act 1 before I had most of my techniques.  The game basically forces that armor on you if you want to find the collectibles though.  It sorta felt like a bad game design decision since most of us would have preferred to use a better armor and not have to keep pausing the game every fight to put on something else unless you were too lazy to do that like me.

Stealth wasn't that interesting to me and felt too slow and largely a lot less fun than just going samurai mode and perfect parrying my way through everything.  You can't move bodies or do anything that fancy we haven't already seen in other games here.

The story's main conflict is obvious within the first few hours of the game as well.  Overall the game plays it extremely safe and nothing ends up being much of a shocker.

Not exactly sure how I missed this post from last summer. Guess it sort of fell to the wayside like a lot of notifications I get.

Ghost of Tsushima is among the best looking open world games I've ever seen. But like so many others it becomes your daily 'clear out this enemy camp' routine that gets boring real quick.

Whether people want to admit it or not, I think every other open world game is basically copying the Ubisoft formula. Assassin's Creed II practically started the formula of having a boring to pretty okay story with a lot of padding added onto it. Most open world games borrow an element or two from Assassin's Creed II, and that game in particular borrowed a few things from GTA IV and GTA: San Andreas before it. I don't recall anything over a decade ago that you could say was like a Grand Theft Auto type of game because the open world genre was still in its infancy.

Now with Cyberpunk 2077 still getting controversy because of broken promises and it being yet another open world game, I feel like every other game is considered really good, while the next game is considered okay to forgettable.

I guess I'll just never understand it at this point.

Edited by AJ_Radio

Interesting - though sales are not always an indicator of quality - I'm one of the suckers who bought this game, but uninstalled it after an hour due to it being....

...you know what...

Nevermind.

Let's keep the negative stuff out, it's tiresome.

Let's just say, I am one of those sales numbers, but I was less than impressed.

21 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Interesting - though sales are not always an indicator of quality - I'm one of the suckers who bought this game, but uninstalled it after an hour due to it being....

...you know what...

Nevermind.

Let's keep the negative stuff out, it's tiresome.

Let's just say, I am one of those sales numbers, but I was less than impressed.

Yeah, honestly same. I plat'd it, but didn't really enjoy it. I thought the characters, except 2 that I remember, were incredibly bland, the missions (especially the terrible side missions) were almost always the same thing of following person/following steps then kill guys, and I even found the combat of a bit stiff for my liking. I also usually like the check-it-off-the-list kinda games, but this one didn't click. But god damn is the game gorgeous. I totally get why people love it, so more power to them.

• 1 month later...

I think Ghost of Tsushima really deserved the GOTY award from 2020 instead of The Last of Us Part II. The Last of Us Part II is an amazing game, but I personally think Ghost of Tsushima is way better in most aspects. I just think it's a shame that such a legendary game hasn't earned the the Game of the Year title because it really deserved it.

Edited by SKhesraw

On 4/20/2021 at 3:08 PM, Solid-Fisch said:

Never used the word 'exclusive', I recommend to read my statement again.

Point being, the era of the PS4 is ending. Just because it’s still supported with third party multi platform games doesn’t mean “the PS4 era” is still going strong. What people will reflect and remember as “the PS4 era” is officially ending