HDMI cable on my PS4 keeps turning on and off (please help)

SelectiveGamer

I'm having trouble finding answers to this from Google and I apologize for asking here but I just don't know what else to do right now.

This wasn't happening a few days ago but now all of a sudden... my HDMI on my PS4 will turn off and go black for a few seconds and then turn back on. I tried to play with the cable and that didn't work and I tried a completely different HDMI cable and the exact same problem occurred. It turns on and off constantly now and games are pretty much unplayable.

I don't know if it's my TV, my PS4, or something else entirely. If it's my TV or PS4 I'm in major trouble because that means I need a replacement and I don't know if I'll be able to find one right now. Particularly a PS4 as I don't want to lose all of my saved games that are still in System Storage.

Can someone please help me out with this ASAP? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

Hm. For now, maybe use the Remote Play app on whatever you're using to browse here?

There's versions for Windows and Mobile. That should at least let you stream your PS4 screen to them.

It's not great, but could do the job until you find a fix

7 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

NEVERMIND

I just went up to check and my TV screen is all pixalted right now

My TV maybe?

I just tried a second HDMI cable with my cable box. Still pixelated

seriously...did you try a different cable?. ugh...And is the tv all pix-elated without an HDMI device displaying a picture?

Edited by homleshobo

1 minute ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I just tried another TV in my home with HDMI. It seems to be working okay.

So... TV... maybe...?

wow..pretty sure you figured it...All by yourself...seriously..if you tried different devices and a different HDMI cable with the same results AND everything works on a different TV then yes your other TV is bad

26 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I'll try connecting my Switch to the problematic TV right now

Same HDMI turning on and off issue with my Switch. This has GOT to mean it's my TV... right?

Yeah, totally your TV. I remember when Watch Dogs busted my TV with that brightness effect that appears when you active your phone. It busted a upper left LED and caused a flicker effect making the TV unusable. I repaired it, and then again the same problem. 3 repairs so far. And I think I'll need to repair it again soon.

On 7/25/2020 at 0:06 PM, DaivRules said:

I have a older TV that does something similar every once in a while. 

Pull the plug from the TV and let it sit unpowered for 30 seconds. Plug it back in. Should work fine after that.

Okay I'll try that too

BTW all... after trying the new HDMI cable I bought... I had my PS4 on for around 20-25 minutes and no issues. I'll keep an eye on it but if the problem reappears I may have to just assume it's my TV

FINAL UPDATE (hopefully/probably): The issue started reoccurring. Luckily when I bought the HDMI cables, which I got at my local Best Buy, I bought a new TV as well to cover my bases. So yeah. I had no choice but to use the new TV.

Edited by SelectiveGamer

On 7/25/2020 at 2:43 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

Okay I'll try that too

BTW all... after trying the new HDMI cable I bought... I had my PS4 on for around 20-25 minutes and no issues. I'll keep an eye on it but if the problem reappears I may have to just assume it's my TV

FINAL UPDATE (hopefully/probably): The issue started reoccurring. Luckily when I bought the HDMI cables, which I got at my local Best Buy, I bought a new TV as well to cover my bases. So yeah. I had no choice but to use the new TV.

NOTHING wrong with a new TV..Hope you got a good one!!!!!!!

I was gonna ask what was your TV brand/model that kept doing that, but since you already purchased a new TV, then problem is solved I guess. xD Good luck, and may you have the best gaming again!

Edited by NERVergoproxy

Great you have this sorted now.

I had this issue too on my PS3 like 7-8 years ago, it was due to the HDMI cable, it was a cheap one.

But with the PS4 pro i've had since launch i've used the HDMI cable it comes with and it's never had any issues.

Anyway the point is don't buy very cheap HDMI cables lol.