[POLL] What type of trophy do you dislike the most?

Shenka

What type of trophy do you dislike the most?  

517 members have voted

1. 1. What type of trophy do you dislike the most?

• Collectible Trophies
    • Difficulty Trophies
    • Online Trophies
    • DLC Trophies
    • Speedrun Trophies
    • Grindy Trophies (Of any variety)

Online for me I think everyone will agree as once the online is dead and there is no way to get the plat dies with it. I mean a game with co op is kind of fine as you can do it with another controller but more cases then not it is bs the trophies made for online. I mean look at Farcry2's online trophies or bad company or even homefront's it is not fun to grind at all just annoying more than anything.

@Shenka 

Echoing some others, there's definitely some extra categories you could throw in:

• Accessory Requirement Trophies (PS Camera & Move, 4 controllers, etc)
  • RNG / Luck based Trophies (Anything related to random drops, or rolls)
  • Skill / Challenge Trophies (Random challenges, eg 100 headshots in a row)
  • Viral Trophies (Play with a person who has this trophy already)
  • Missable Trophies (if you miss it, you have to play the game a 2nd time)

Anyway, collectibles is my vote for sure. I hate them. They make me feel like I need to be glued to a guide.

Online trophies, especially the ones that ask you to do impossible things on public matches, if they are just trophies like "Play X number of matches" or "Reach X Level" then no problem... And another thing bad of online trophies is that your plat or 100% depends of the availability of servers...

And other kind of trophies that I'm not very fond of are the speedrun/survival trophies...

• Like 1

Honestly, for me, it depends on the game. Difficulty trophies are easier if the gameplay is solid. Grindy trophies are better if you have a lot of small milestones along the way. All that being said...I hate the fact that dlc trophies automatically populate in your profile even if you do not install them. Online trophies make me the most anxious because it seems like it is always a struggle finding someone to play with, or worrying about the servers going down, or worrying about the multiplayer sucking so it dies super fast etc. 

21 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

@Shenka 

Echoing some others, there's definitely some extra categories you could throw in:

• Accessory Requirement Trophies (PS Camera & Move, 4 controllers, etc)

Gotta love Singstar. Not only do you you need to buy some mics (you can now use your phone as mics though), you also need a camera to upload 20 bits of media for a single trophy. The amount of media (including mine) where it is just 20 pictures of the same thing... gotta love that!

I tend to stay away from games that need multiple playthroughs (White Day suggests a whooping 20 playthroughs!)... would this be considered as grindy?

Also, collectables that are not needed at all. I absolutely hated Just Cause 4 because of this, and collecting feathers and other things in Ass Creed is something I also despise. 

One last thing, I wish they had online trophies separated from the trophy list needed to get the platinum (listed like DLC, but obviously listed as online). 

Edited by NZBigC

Collectibles in games that aren't platformers because they're literally never fun. Speed runs I usually cheese in some way and hard modes are never that bad if they're not stupid.

All though it seems to be the least disliked by everybody, I actually hate difficulty trophies the most.  When difficulty playthroughs don't stack and/or a difficulty is unlocked by first completing a game on easy then another playthrough is required, that really annoys me.  It's not too bad when I really love a game and a second complete playthrough would be enjoyable, but unfortunately that usually is not the case and a second playthrough is painful.

Ironman trophies, the ones that demand you to do something like playing through parts or even the entirety of a game and never die, or even get hit aka making a single mistake, sometimes combined with the highest available difficulty to make it cheap or heavily reliant on rng to get a clean run once. Those are pretty damn annoying and they seem to haunt me for some reason.

Since that option is not available I say speedrun. Speedrunning is the shittiest, most unnatural and perverted way to play any game that is not a racing game, it is downright disrespectful towards the game and the developers. I feel disgusting for doing it whenever I try to earn a speedrun trophy, but thankfully they are not too common and usually somewhat easy or exploitable.

Online trophies are hit and miss, but they can be good, while the other two categories I mentioned always suck.

1 hour ago, Zircon_Lotus said:

Maybe it is under the grindy category, but what I hate most are annoying random miscellaneous trophies, the kind that makes you do X action an unreasonable amount of times for no reason other than annoy. 

I almost put that in there. I call them "Circumstantial Trophies" - Trophies that require a random mission to complete for the sake of existing. I left it out because it felt super vague.

I definitely agree though. Particularly with the CoD games. That post-Veteran clean up always kills me.

1 minute ago, Allan55- said:

O que eu menos gosto são os troféus online que muitas vezes você tem que chegar em um nível altíssimo ou ganhar uma quantidade grande de partidas sendo que muitas vezes há poucos jogadores...

Used Google Translate to read your post, but I agree! Online grinding is insanely tedious.

Online trophies.  By online I mean the ones that require you playing with or against another player, not trophies that make use of an online feature, can also be done with local MP, or are made easier with online features but are still doable without them.  Plain and simple, I don't want to have to rely on another player to cooperate with me for me to be able to earn my trophies.

The thing I dislike the most is trophies that require a tedious task that is far beyond what complete the game otherwise requires, whether that be max level, playing for long beyond what you'd need to finish things, killing tons more enemies than you'd need to max your stats, etc.  It's no biggie if there is a trophy for max level and finishing most of the tasks gets you close, it's another thing when you have a trophy for killing 30k monsters and you've finished everything else and barely hit 10k.  These aren't as bad if there is some way to speed battles, automate them, and/or summon an encounter though.

• Like 1

im actually kinda ok with online trophies, as it helps me figure out if going for the plat is worth it/an option before starting, and i like working with people to get it done. But speedrun trophies put me under an amount of pressure that i seriously cannot handle.

1 hour ago, eigen-space said:

Of the ones posted, definitely Online Trophies.... but I think I dislike RNG trophies more.

Rng trophies are the worst agreed

If it was in the poll it would win by a landslide

They aren't in every game, but when they are... ?

My pet peeve trophy type isn't an option on the poll: trophies that force you to play badly, such as Suicidal Tendencies. I can't stand having to repeatedly kill myself after already beating a game, just because I wasn't terrible enough to earn the "die 100 times" trophy (or whatever) naturally.

Of the poll options, it's a tie between collectibles and online (I voted for the former). I actually really enjoy speedrun trophies, though.

• Like 1

I knew majority of hunters would hate the online trophies but for me it’s DLC. I’m not willing to pay so much for such a little amount of trophies ? unless they are free of course which is very rare but all the rest? I actually don’t mind you know because challenging myself is really fun for me.
But now some may if you want a challenge, you should try difficult games like Super Meat Boy and games alike but there is fine line between challenging and stressing to the point of pulling my hair out (not that I have any anyways) and breaking everything around me

Edited by ShahinMiah

Online, firstly, I don't buy PS+, secondly, I prefer playing alone, thirdly, they are fckin grind like Assassin's Creed or Uncharted 4 Survival. I don't mind if this is something like "revive 5 teammates" or "complete 3 matches", but when they give us shit like "reach lvl 50" or "kill 10000 opponents" I pass.

I'm not sure why people hate online trophies. If you bought the game and wanted to enjoy it and go for trophies then why would you dislike that. A lot of the times they give you something to go for. Street Fighter V and Dragon Ball Fighterz are some good examples.

Grindy trophies I'm not a fan of simply because a lot of the times they aren't hard at all. They just waste your time and I usually avoid going for them and just do the rest depending on the game and what I'm doing.

Collectables are my least favourite since on most games it's highly recommended to use a guide and I hate using a guide. I don't want to watch a video and pausing the game every 5 mins just to get all collectables. Again, It's dependent on the game but a lot of the times, if the game wasn't good enough or collectables I wouldn't of gone for otherwise without a trophy, then I don't go for it.

Last one that doesn't have a topic that a hate the most.

- Easy games that are blatantly bought and played purely for the trophies alone.

This has never made any sense to me. I will say this. I'm guilty of doing this on a few games many years a go but the amount of people that have stacked games and have terrible games like them Word Search games on the Vita is just ridiculous.

Why would you want to play them because everyone will admit that they wouldn't of played them otherwise without it having a plat and it being easy.

I've always saw trophies as a way to get more out of a game or show that that game was worth spending that extra time to complete it to it's fullest.

Quality over quantity.

• Like 2