[POLL] What type of trophy do you dislike the most?

Shenka

What type of trophy do you dislike the most?  

517 members have voted

1. 1. What type of trophy do you dislike the most?

• Collectible Trophies
    • Difficulty Trophies
    • Online Trophies
    • DLC Trophies
    • Speedrun Trophies
    • Grindy Trophies (Of any variety)

Online trophies but more specifically and not on your list .. leaderboard specific trophies. Trophies that are like be within the top 5% of players of the day or something like that. ModNations had one called Hot Lap that was like that and there were always lifers that would pop up everyday to drop a fast time. Guess there was a similar trophy in some boxing games I remember reading about here where there was a top position and some guy kept trading it back and forth with alts until the servers shut down. Rayman for the Vita where you had to get a platinum time on a daily challenge level so I didn't touch that version with a 10 foot pole. It helped that version wasn't ever PS+. :awesome:

A lot of the times I find out about a game because it's shutting down and good luck getting a leaderboard trophy when there's a big clamor for everyone to finish up in three months.

Grindy trophies can be enjoyable but when the game itself is bad and you're pushing through only because it's an easy plat. That's the worst time imo. 

Also, the last of us part 2 plat is mentally challenging. I just can't playthrough that game again. 

Online trophies (if the game is not online oriented of course).

Absurd Grinds trophies (there are acceptable grinds or even fun ones but generally the most are absurd a boring to do be cause when you grind something this don't add anything new to the game so doing it several times just get tedious).

And I don't hate them but I will love if all games gaves the option to buy like a tesure map where you can find collectibles in the map or the level be cause sometimes I find a bit off to have to use a guide to find those but I don't hate them they are mostly of the times easy and straight foward.

Ahhh but you all forget the WORST of all trophies!! 

The unobtainable trophy due for a glitch, bug or servers closing....

• Like 1

I voted grindy trophies since they usually involve doing shit that expands playtime beyond what feels natural for a game. I'm sure there are worse, but the trophies for getting Sora and Riku to level 99 in Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories are absolute bullshit- you can comfortably beat the story on any difficulty at Lv 50 which you naturally reach, but there are no superbosses that pretty much require you to be at a higher level. I stead, you spend almost as long as the game takes again grinding up. Ridiculous, a big reason as to why I disliked the game (and I did it twice).

I also don't really like online trophies, especially when they're tied to a mode that is tacked on to a game that should have just been a single player game (BioShock 2 on PS3, I'm looking at you!), but they are mostly things you would accomplish by naturally playing and progressing anyway. But the most egregious ones are those that actually require you to get a well-coordinated group together to pull off some tedious feats such as in Batman: Arkham Origins and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood on PS3. You're very, very unlikely to pull off all that stuff naturally so you actually need to externally organise stuff. Not fun.

Edited by Lan Stee
  • Like 1

Hard to answer but could really be any type depending on how they are implemented.

I voted grindy but some grinds are fun if they come from just playing naturally and you enjoy the game.  But some grinds on the other hand...  my time is too precious. 

Edited by djb5f

I've grown to really detest collectibles, especially when they add nothing to the game and exist solely to make you run around like a total idiot looking for every glass bottle or plastic duck that exists (looking at you Alice: Madness Returns and Rise of Insanity.) Collectibles only work if you want to collect them, because they add to the story or enable you to unlock new abilities or something. 

I voted online trophies. I hate online trophies in the base game list because after some years the platinum is gone for good. Obviously my reasoning doesn't involve multiplayer based games.

Edited by Tecnal1
  • Like 1

To add one type that isn’t on that list but is becoming my new favorite to hate on.

VR “shoot this ball into the hoop” trophies. The tracking of PSVR is not great for fast movements and the physics are always off for this in every game. Worse in games that make you do it multiple times, like Trover’s trophy for making 100 baskets.

We get it, it’s VR, you can throw things. Please stop.

Edited by DoctorDrPepper

Although they're not exactly listed in this poll, I most hate trophies that have certain requirements that span an entire playthrough. For example, the Dead Space "One Gun" trophy where you have to beat the entire game with the ONLY the plasma cutter. What I hate most about them is you don't know if you fulfilled the requirements until the very end. You could have unknowingly messed up 15 minutes into the game, only to waste a 10 hour playthrough when you were already locked out of the trophy.

See All Endings and Missable trophies should be on the list.

My answer is grind based trophies. As bad as online and collectible trophies can be, grind based trophies are the absolute worse. Online trophies are usually at their worse because of a grind . . . and then server closure many years after launch (usually). If the grind factor is removed or reduced, online trophies would see a tremendous difference in difficulty and attainability. There's already a lot of games that require non-demanding conditions to earn their online trophies, like Titanfall 2 and Team Sonic Racing. It's not a big deal at all. But the grind ones are atrocious, stealing so much of our burrowed human time and delaying us from starting or completing other games, in addition to causing fatigue and burnout that wouldn't happen from the simplest of online trophies. The worse of online trophies can also be drastically reduced in time and effort by boosting or playing with master level players, whereas grinds require impatient players to result to exploits and bugs, some of which still don't cut down the actual hours enough or barely do at all.

About 10yrs into trophy hunting, somewhere close to 200 platinums, I've found myself recently being most annoyed and almost completely turned off by grind based trophies. I've been able to deal with them for a decade or so, but it has started to become unbearable. They just has far too many negatives, and it only gets worse the older one gets. So the worse trophies are usually grind based, whether it be the absurd amount of collectibles required, getting all equipment or other things (typically in RPG) games, playing a game over many times to get different endings, getting to a certain rank (grind) or needing a certain amount of kills in multiplayer (grind), etc.

• Like 1