Covid19 killed my interest in Vita

You

That's my feeling on handheld/mobile gaming in general. If you stay home, there is rarely a reason to play on a weaker device on a smaller screen that does not get the same level of support.

I think the Vita was great, but at no point would I ever want to play it over a home console if I was given the opportunity.

• Like 4

I drive to work so I cannot play games while commuting.  However what I do is I play handheld games (Vita, 3DS, Switch) on weeknights for 1-2 hours, and on weekends where I can dedicate gaming for a few hours in a block, I will play my main console (used to be PS3, now PS4).  It breaks up the samey-ness of playing the same game too much in too short a time and it helps that a lot of handheld games can be played in small chunks.  There are exceptions to this habit of mine, such as if I want to finish a lengthy JRPG quicker, I will play it on weeknights as well.

Edited by ccase137
  • Like 1

I play the Vita more now than I do my PS4. So many great RPG's and games in general. 

Just recently got into the Danganronpa series absolutely loving it. I would still keep the Vita for when yes life resumes to a normal-ish level. Best console ever. (second to PS2)

• Like 1

I'm the complete opposite! Lockdown came in which meant I had to be at home 24/7. I work in a bar so no working from home for me.

I'm lucky enough to have a garden, a small one but a garden nevertheless. We locked down in the UK towards the end of March and a few weeks later the weather changed for the better. I really wanted to play games but I couldn't bear being inside when the sun was shining so I rediscovered my Vita after about 3-4 years of not touching it. To almost self protect, I fell into a lockdown routine of doing some bits of gardening, then sitting down with the vita for about 4 hours in the afternoon until the garden lost the sun, then I'd make some dinner and pop on the PS4. This was pretty much every day for 4 months and I started and finished some amazing VNs that I'd never considered before (zero escape, root letter, p4g). I'd rarely play the Vita in the evening or inside at all when the weather was miserable, but just wanting to be outside and play games in the nice weather seriously resurrected the handheld for me! Maybe that's because I'm from the UK so when we get a little bout of sun, we're all over it because we don't know when it'll come again! I just can't wake up to lovely weather and sit inside all day! It really is interesting to hear how people's routines have changed due to Covid and how this has effected people's gaming among other things. Ironically, I've stopped reading actual novels because the only time I did so was when I was working a 2nd job and staying at a mate's for a week at a time, but that's now stopped due to the pandemic.

Also, i have to say mate, 50-100 platinums standing up? That's got to be some kind of record, outstanding!

• Like 3

I can perfectly relate, something suddenly/abruptly changing your so loved routine. 

There are routines I consider sacred and will make me feel off if missed, and it's horrible.

I've stopped doing certain things because their respective routines just didn't feel right anymore, because they were overlapping with other routines. 

I hope the vaccine/treatment gets to everybody quickly so we can go back to semi-normal with no problems at all

• Like 1

Many thanks for all your stories I have enjoyed reading all of them, I was not expecting this many replies lol

13 minutes ago, Stanners316 said:

Also, i have to say mate, 50-100 platinums standing up? That's got to be some kind of record, outstanding!

That is a very cute way of putting it. haha. I had not thought of that, but yes every single game on this list I played stood on a train to work. Also waiting at the platform to switch trains, buses on rainy days etc.

https://psnprofiles.com/enaysoft?completion=complete&pf=vita

It is nostalgic looking at them, I think Gravity Dave and Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition were the hardest games.

Gravity Daze has really annoying flying time trials that require you to rotate the vita around, very hard to do on a moving train and very easy to mess up if suddenly the train brakes. Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition I love but for some reason it gave me terrible motion sickness which the original did not. Oh and Metrico some of those trophies I had to do at home, many were impossible to do on the train. Most of the Warriors games are about 150-300 hours each.

Hardest thing about Vita on a train is not having access to a guide, I am not joking when I say I would use the same Vita to take 50-100 snapshots of my PC screen to put a guide in it. So I could XMB to the photo section on my Vita to look at a guide and then switch back to the game. Grim Fandago springs to mind.

(Eventually I would look at.save guides to my smartphone from 2018)

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

I've always played my Vita at home for the most part anyway. It's nice having that freedom of portability, being able to play from anywhere in the house, especially in bed. Nothing quite like reading a visual novel on a handheld before going to sleep. ? Plus, I find myself playing Vita whenever I'm short on time because of how quick and simple it is to get back to what you were playing. The Vita's sleep mode still impresses me to this day. Going to my entertainment centre and turning on my TV/consoles is more of a hassle in comparison.

• Like 3

I play it whenever I am watching a tv series/movie.

Sometimes as a Remote Play device. 

Keep it, you never know when you will get back to playing on it. 

Good device when you are taking a #2. 

Edited by Kishnabe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

With everyone else at home with me, I play the Vita more now so they can use the TVs and I can do my thing.

Yep this is what I have ended up doing. I even dug out my PS3 so I can play that while others are using the main TV and console. I do understand where TC is coming from though.

• Like 2

You don't go to the washroom anymore? :P

I certainly play less as well for the same no-commute reasons, but as @DaivRules was saying, with the family at home, and the kids being drawn to the screen like moths to a flame whenever I play the PS4, I find myself playing the Vita in bed whenever I need to take a break (yes, double standards with screen time...). I still have so many games in my backlog that I should be good for a while, though it's turning more and more into jrpgs and hard as hell games now...

• Like 1

I've been thinking about selling my vita. I just bought another one of those picross games that I adore, but now have no willpower to actually play it. I have my vita sitting on my desk right in front of me when I'm working, and I still won't play it. I only really played my vita when I was in university waiting for my classes to start and that time is long gone. It and my PS3 console are probably going to get sold soon due to how little interest I have in them now. 

I used to take my Gameboy color, and later my GBA out a lot with me when I was a kid. I'd play it in the car, on the bus, while with my mother while she was waiting in a queue at a bank or for an appointment or something, etc. Since the DS though, I kinda just stopped taking my handheld consoles out with me all the time. I think it's just because I started having less time to play them. Pretty much the only time I'll ever take a handheld out with me nowadays, is when I'm expecting a lot of downtime or an extended break at college (which I haven't been at for months now anyway), or when I'm going on vacation.

I do kinda understand the feeling that you "should" play your handhelds when not at home, since they're one of their main "purposes" I guess, but honestly to me it just doesn't really matter. If there's something I wanna play that I can only play on a handheld console, I'm gonna play it. On one hand, I actually sometimes prefer playing a handheld to one of my home consoles, since I can't really binge on them. I have a 3-6 hour limit until the battery is at half or less and then that's it, time to put it away and charge it. I have had a habit of losing track of the time before when getting really into a game, playing for like 8+ hours on the weekend without even realising it, and at least a handheld console mitigates that. I'd rather not take out my handhelds with me any more anyway in case they get damaged, stolen or lost or whatever.

COVID19 has personally only made me play my Vita more, as well as other consoles I've been neglecting for far too long (Wii U and PS2). It's actually my Switch I've neglected the most these past few months (though I basically never use it in handheld mode anyway), there have been games releasing it for it that I'm interested in, but I've been more focused on trying to get through a lot of my older games during the lock-down rather than focusing on new releases.

Unless they release new titles for the Vita (which it won't, or they'll get released on other systems as well anyway), I'll probably be done my Vita backlog in the next 2-3 years or so, and then yeah, I'm probably near really going to use it again unless I really want to replay something on it, but a lot of its former best exclusives have since been ported anyway, and I've generally re-bought the games I really enjoyed for PS4.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Unless they release new titles for the Vita (which it won't, or they'll get released on other systems as well anyway),

They just released two Yumeutsutsu titles a few days ago. At $67 and $86 CAD apiece, I thought Sony was... enthusiastic.

4 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Keep the vita for when life gets back to normal. No big deal. My issue is that I’m running out of games I want to play on it. Don’t really care about AAA games, but the JRPGs are now not being ported by third party devs.

Oh, and I buy everything via my phone app. Much easier.

Life wont Become nornal Kill or be Killed will Become Relevant soon

• Like 1

If Vita only interests you when on a transport, there is not to be done besides waiting. Of course I dont know when, but things will go back to normal at some point, and then you can enjoy the Vita again. Or get over this feeling and try to start playing a little, maybe this will rekindle your interest over time.

Personally I never played with my Vita outside, so I dont have this kind of problem. I bought it thinking about the exclusives, that only later I found out that werent many, but the japanese catalog made the buy worth, even if some of them are also on PS4. I even think some of those games look better on Vita. I also share the neck pains, because if I raise it to eye level my arms get tired, so I have to put it down. 

I also have memories of playing on a handheld console while on subway, but it was the PSP, while I was still on school. Playing KH, FF and Tekken 6 almost made my miss the station many times. 

• Like 1