Assassin's Creed's Clunky Movement Controls

I recently decided to give the Assassin's Creed series another chance after boycotting it for many years due to Ubisoft's refusal to fix their clunky movement controls. I'm glad I did. I've been having a blast with Origins and I'm looking forward to most likely moving onto Odyssey next. However, the clunky movement controls that led me to boycott the series in the first place still persist and persist in a big way. How have Ubisoft STILL not fixed this? I just don't get it. It totally takes you out of the moment when your character does something completely stupid that you didn't intend for them to do, and it happens so often. Plenty of games, even older games, have managed to implement a smooth, fully functional parkour system... Dying Light springs to mind... but Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed series has been plagued with these issues for years and it doesn't seem to be getting much better. Can the folks that have played Odyssey tell me if it's any better in that game? I can't imagine that it would seeing as it only came out a year after Origins. I've also included a clip that I just captured from Origins that led to me making this topic, but I have so many other examples of this happening, it's ridiculous. Let me know your thoughts on the matter and feel free to share examples of your own.

It's not perfect but it's fine for the most part. I've done the leap of faith by accident in origins too while getting to a sync point, had to reclimb the tower. Only happened once in the whole playthrough.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, xh117 said:

It's not perfect but it's fine for the most part. I've done the leap of faith by accident in origins too while getting to a sync point, had to reclimb the tower. Only happened once in the whole playthrough.

You're lucky, it happens to me quite often.

13 minutes ago, Hunter226444 said:

If you think Origins had clunk you clearly didn't play the other games lol. Arno from Unity controlled like a motorized bar of soap.

I made it clear in my original comment that I had played some of the earlier games before boycotting the series. I had previously played Brotherhood, 3, Black Flag and Rogue, all of which had clunky movement control issues. My point was that I boycotted the series for years, came back to it with Origins and Ubisoft STILL haven't sorted their shit out.

2 minutes ago, ImMagnetz said:

I made it clear in my original comment that I had played some of the earlier games before boycotting the series. I had previously played Brotherhood, 3, Black Flag and Rogue, all of which had clunky movement control issues. My point was that I boycotted the series for years, came back to it with Origins and Ubisoft STILL haven't sorted their shit out.

I mainly said what I said because while Origins does have some clunk I don't think it has nearly as much clunk as some of the previous games. Idk just picking this game of all of them to complain about clunk is just weird to me.

Just now, Hunter226444 said:

I mainly said what I said because while Origins does have some clunk I don't think it has nearly as much clunk as some of the previous games. Idk just picking this game of all of them to complain about clunk is just weird to me.

I'm more talking about the series as a whole but posted it in this game's forum section because it's the game that I'm playing right now and it's the game that I took a clip from for my example.

Yeah, I have not played Origins or Odyssey but I thought they had largely corrected the clunky movement (parkour) and gameplay that has plagued the series since its inception.

It immediately turned me off and why I only played Black Flag (loved the Naval battles and open world). The scripted stealth missions and clunky movement I could do without.

• Like 1

Just now, djb5f said:

Yeah, I have not played Origins or Odyssey but I thought they had largely corrected the clunky movement (parkour) and gameplay that has plagued the series since its inception.

It immediately turned me off and why I only played Black Flag (loved the Naval battles and open world). The scripted stealth missions and clunky movement I could do without.

It may not be as bad as it was but it's still very much an issue, I'm afraid. Also, I loved the naval warfare in Black Flag too. You should check out Rogue, it's essentially a carbon copy of Black Flag, so if you're down for more of the same, it might be worth looking into.

• Like 1