Can we all agree this game is still a classic and better than Part II?

I was extremely disappointed with the sequel. I personally don't understand how naughty dog could go from a game like this to part 2. I honestly feel like they rushed it (it certainly feels rushed) but I don't believe that this game deserves scorn based on how awful the second one was. This game will remain a true classic for me and i consider it to be far better than the second one.

I’m not gonna lie though, after playing part 2, it did kinda make me forget about how much i enjoyed the first game and made me think less of it at first, but you are absolutely right. This game is phenomenal and it doesn't deserve any less praise because of how terrible the second game is.

Edited by royal642award
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ARH65512 said:

I'm posting here because I feel the Part II forum is toxic right now. I was so disappointed with the sequel. The first game is quite possibly my favorite game of all time (I was always debate with that or Witcher 3) and I'll always cherish no matter what. 

Now, if you liked the sequel and disagree with me, that's fine. But it couldn't hold a candle to the original. 

well duh, there were some awesome set pieces in part II but all around, the story is way more enjoyable in 1 plus even though the first game can be bleak at times, it was an actually enjoyable game when it comes to stories moments while in part II, nothing was really "fun" like it was in the first game with joel and ellie

Edited by Stevieboy
clean up for edited post
  • Like 1

Loved the stories in both.  I would have made some minor changes for my personal tastes but the overall framework was great.

Where I enjoyed the first kind more was that it had multiplayer, which was really well done.  

To be perfectly honest though I just wish we had more games like these that are targeted at an adult audience. They don't pull any punches. A dark, gritty, bleak setting. It's meant to be uncomfortable at times. It's not a "nice" game and if you don't like what happens it doesn't give a shit. I can't think of anything that comes close? I'm open to suggestions though if you have anything!

Just now, djb5f said:

Loved the stories in both.  I would have made some minor changes for my personal tastes but the overall framework was great.

Where I enjoyed the first kind more was that it had multiplayer, which was really well done.  

I heard a rumour Factions was coming back as a standalone, not sure how true this is though. I really enjoyed Factions in the first game!

• Like 1

I haven't played part 2 yet cause lack of funds atm but what I really appreciate it did was create conversation. Not the toxic stuff happening atm but I've had some really deep and meaningful convos from people about it which I feel like most games don't really do. 

The game was never going to be as good as the first one because for most people because we all built such high expectations on it from how great Part 1 was - so I personally appreciate that they went in a very different path for part 2. 

but yea that's my two cents :) 

I probably should replay the first game, but IMO it was pretty safe and predictable story-wise outside of a few powerful moments and the having one of the best prologue's in all of gaming.  It's probably 10-15 hours shorter than Part II and I still felt bored through big chunks of it.  Where Part II took some huge risks in terms of story, which were more miss than hit for some people... but respect to ND for "going there" and overall I found myself more engaged in what was happening.  I think the cast outside of Joel and Ellie got more screen time and were more interesting than many of the throwaway side characters in the first game.

Graphics and gameplay it's no comparison IMO, Part II was better.  But that's to be expected 7 years later.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

I was never the biggest fan of TLOU, but after the insult that was TLOU Part 2, it made me really appreciate the story of the first one and it will always be easily the better one. The first one feels like it was made with passion and second feels like made by people who actively hated what came before, which is strange if we believe Neil wrote the story.

It's a shame really, cause the graphics really look outstanding and some of the best on this generation, the music and voice acting is also great, it's just the story is badly written and characters don't behave like they were established. 

Still, if some people liked it, that's fine, cause liking something is subjective and more power to them, but you can't justify this being a 10/10 masterpiece like some fanboys out there are saying. 

• Like 3

I think people have trouble with Part II because a character we have loved for 7 years (Joel) was actually shown to be a villain and not really a good guy. I enjoyed Part 2 and think its wonderful in its own right and Abby was awesome. It also shows Ellie in a not so favorable light.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

I think people have trouble with Part II because a character we have loved for 7 years (Joel) was actually shown to be a villain and not really a good guy. I enjoyed Part 2 and think its wonderful in its own right and Abby was awesome. It also shows Ellie in a not so favorable light.

He was no villain, just a flawed hero.  It makes him even more relatable and while I loved his character, I was perfectly fine with his fate.  It just amped up the stakes that no one was safe.  Made it more compelling and seeing the whole there are two sides to every story (with a lot of grey) instead of the overdone good vs. bad.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I think the whole point was to make Abby into the worst villain the series has seen in the first few hours, then spend the rest of the game trying to build her up and find a way to redeem her a little in the fans eyes.  It's uncomfortable, it was a bold af move on Naughty Dog's part.  I think it worked, and even if it didn't they get my respect for doing the opposite of playing it safe.  They just underestimated how petty and stubborn gamers are though, and it came on the heels of quite a bit of controversy prior to release (the dev crunch, LGBTQ stuff, leaks, etc) so the story and the risks they took became an easy target for anyone with an axe to grind.

My personal problem with part 2 wasnt necessarily the story or the characters. Yes I think they are considerably weaker than part 1 but nowhere near as bad as certain people claim. Personally I would give it a 7/10 while story/characters in part 1 were a 9/10 or 9.5/10 for me. My biggest problem was the horrible pacing, abbys section was just too long and a rather big part of the game  kinda felt like filler. Gameplay is good ( but gets a bit repetitive because the game is so fucking long) but level design, sound and graphics are definitely a 10/10. It is a bit hard to give it a score but I think part 2 is somewhere between 7.5/10 and 8/10.

Edited by GoDBoss173

11 minutes ago, GoDBoss173 said:

My personal problem with part 2 wasnt necessarily the story or the characters. Yes I think they are considerably weaker than part 1 but nowhere near as bad as certain people claim. Personally I would give it a 7/10 while story/characters in part 1 were a 9/10 or 9.5/10 for me. My biggest problem was the horrible pacing, abbys section was just too long and a rather big part of the game  kinda felt like filler. Gameplay is good ( but gets a bit repetitive because the game is so fucking long) but level design, sound and graphics are definitely a 10/10. It is a bit hard to give it a score but I think part 2 is somewhere between 7.5/10 and 8/10.

I liked it and I'd still give it 8/10 mostly due to the pacing too tbh. Not that I thought the game or Abby's section was too long though, just that it was constantly jumping around perspective wise and timeline wise. Which wasn't necessarily confusing, but it killed momentum on at least a few occasions and made it easy to miss or forget little details by the end.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

Some people will agree, others will disagree.

I think it'll take time for some of the fans of both games to settle on which game they think is better. Part II has been out for less than two months, too early for some people to really settle on whether its better or worse than the original. 

You have such an inspiriting signature

Edited by guy who says bruh
  • Like 1

For some reason people tend to feel the need, or think they have to hate something to validate their "love" for the other, you can find singularities, positive and negative points everywhere, and that imperfection doesn't necessarily makes something "bad" or unworthy of being a masterpiece.

Seeing Heather avatar reminds me the note on TLoU that was a clear SH reference, I loved that so much, especially since I found similarities between TLoU and SH3 from the very first moment, the most superficial one being both bring their respective consoles to their limits, in fact SH3 was somehow way beyond the limit, haven't seen similar work on the textures and facial expressions that are so close to human beings until the release of TLoU, ten years after SH3. Most either don't care about that -and they don't need to since the majority of their themes aren't about the human heart- or others that try to be too realistic end up being creepy and everything but human such as L.A. Noire, yet as I said, I won't hate it just for that, as I love noir cinema and thus greatly enjoyed the game. 

I think most people just got brainwashed due to a lack of critical thought by the massive exposition to opinions by people who didn't even play the game, as these were going around even before the game released I think. For me all I knew about the game was the first teaser and the cover, I wonder how being exposed to all that, and having the spoilers I heard about after finishing the game would have affected my experience, luckily everything was a surprise to me.

Edited by YonahFuriae
  • Like 2

Throughout Part II I felt a tonne of emotions, and most of them were ones I didn't expect to feel playing a video game. When I finished it for the first time, I hated it. I couldn't believe ND took my favourite characters and broke them down to nothing. Then after about 3 weeks I stopped being so emotional about it and I was able to see the story for what it truly is. I realised all the emotions I felt throughout my time with it, were the ones I was supposed to feel; sadness, anger, grief, exhaustion, hopelessness etc. and it made me really appreciate it. It's a ballsy fucking move what ND did and now that I'm over it, I'm so glad they did it.

I haven't gone back to it yet (finishing Ghost of Tsushima first) but I'm looking forward to going through it again to see things in more of an objective light, and not be completely blinded by emotions. And I think that's the main problem, I see a lot of people saying things like "Joel is made out to be a villain and Abby is made out to be a saint" but I honestly don't think that's the case, it's all down to perspective, which is the point. I think most people just can't see the forest for the trees, and I know what it's like cause I felt the same for a while too.

Back on topic though; Yes, Part I is better than Part II, in my honest opinion. It is one of my favourite games of all time and I will stand by it no matter what. But, Part II is good too, just for entirely different reasons. Although, I do agree that its too long, a bit gratuitous and has major pacing issues.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Although, I do agree that its too long, a bit gratuitous and has major pacing issues.

If you mean about Joel's death, we knew it would -and had- to happen if there was a sequel, in fact the twist in the first one was that both of them survived, magistrally making an even bitter ending as if any of them died the way things turned out.

So if we all agree he had to die, the only thing we can argue is the timing, which for me it was shocking due to not expecting it so soon, and that's why I think it made total sense to do it right at the begining, as everyone knew Joel had to pay for his selfishness and actions, we expected his fate, but probably we'd expect it by the end of the game, and maybe another great move by them was showing Joel in the trailers, making people think he has a major role -at least I've read he appeared a lot in the trailers after I beat the game and looked at people poor arguments against the game-, so yeah, without knowing anything about what was going on in the media until after I beat it, minutes or maybe a few hours after the initial shock I understood that was the only and best way of doing it, to have a bigger emotional impact and shock, as the game strikes you before you have time to even think.