[suggestion] Ban Self-Advertising (Threads)

It might be a unpopular suggestion here, but punishing someone with a ban because they made a specific post is WAY too much.

Nothing happened to those people that constantly create "help me with boost" topics when they certainly know there is a Game Session tab to create those. Those are simply deleted. So if something has to be done with the threads you mentioned, deleting them is enough. 

Edited by TurtlePM
  • Like 1

Just now, TurtlePM said:

It might be a unpopular suggestion here, but punishing someone with a ban because they made a specific post is WAY too much.

Nothing happened to those people that constantly create "help me with boost" topics, they are simply deleted. So if something has to be done with those threads you mentioned, deleting them is enough. 

I don't mean ban the person, I mean ban the threads. I'll make that clearer in my OP. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

I don't mean ban the person, I mean ban the threads.

I guess I'll be that guy. Do you mean like how you're advertising your YT channel in your signature? Or are you only against people promoting guides hosted on other domains?

14 minutes ago, Helyx said:

I guess I'll be that guy. Do you mean like how you're advertising your YT channel in your signature? Or are you only against people promoting guides hosted on other domains?

Ban threads.

Signatures, profile pages, PSN description boxes, etc. - I am fine with people advertising there. I'm just advocating against the threads whose main post is a link or a video that the person created - usually, they are trophy guides but occasionally there are other types. 

EDIT: I clarified my position in the title

Edited by Kittet3

16 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

Ban threads.

Signatures, profile pages, PSN description boxes, etc. - I am fine with people advertising there. I'm just advocating against the threads whose main post is a link or a video that the person created - usually, they are trophy guides but occasionally there are other types. 

EDIT: I clarified my position in the title

I agree with this. It doesn't help that most of the videos I've ended up clicking on have been all but unwatchable. I don't think anything of value will be lost by banning these threads. I have no problem finding the quality content by other means.

• Like 4

I too dislike threads made just for a video guide. Any kind of guides should be in the guides section with a written guide attach with a video if needed.

Not that it bothers me too much I'll stress over but just something I dislike like too..

there's a lot of other things I dislike too ?.

Just now, DaivRules said:

I'm expecting this to be super-unpopular, but can you just not click on the thread? There are currently:

And it's not like everyone must click every one of those. These get posted, and generally within an hour, they're buried. At least the ones seemingly referred to.

I have very bad self-control :P

More seriously, I actually tried to time this thread when there wasn't a self-advertising thread in the "new threads" list so I wouldn't look shady and I had to give up because there's always at least one. At one point, I remember 8 threads being posted in short succession of each other at the peak of the issue and now the material is getting to be lower and lower quality with more ambiguous titles.

I'm also with knoef here - ya'll went and banned his URL. How is that different than the youtube/whatever-other-site-that-people-use-for-those-text-guides? It's the same concept- they are taking traffic away from this site and our guides as well as clogging up the homepage.

I like it for games like the ones @IBadDriverI did some where he post the entire trophy platrough be cause are short games.

Also more than 1 one time some of those threads have save me time with another strategies that are not explained in the guide of the site.

So I don't have problem also If I don't like it I don't openned it simple. But still I respect your opinion just don't think the same

Edited by NordicSaiyan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, NordicSaiyan said:

I like it for games like the ones @IBadDriverI did some where he post the entire trophy platrough be cause are short games.

Also more than 1 one time some of those threads have save me time with another strategies that are not explained in the guide of the site.

So I don't have problem also If I don't like it I don't openned it simple. But still I respect your opinion just don't share it.

I love his video guides! I go search him up on Youtube whenever I want a video guide instead of a text one since they are done in a way that is easily follow-able. However, if he wants to advertise his videos on this site, he should make formal guide like others do- lots of people make games guides as poor guises to push out their youtube videos within the guides and I'm fine with that. It's fair and it doesn't clog up the forums. 

When I look up Rime, there are at least 20 youtube video guides. Do we really want 20 individual threads promoting these guides? Yes, we aren't at that point yet, but without clear regulations on self-advertising, we will slowly get there. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be easier if there was an option to submit a video as THE trophy guide? That way it'll be placed in the guides section and not in the forum?

Although, it should still require them to fill out the info at the top of the guide and basic info on each trophy.

I think what I'm getting at is, can't the video uploaders be made to actually write an official guide on the site and then place their video inside of it?

I will admit, I rarely will make a thread talking about a game and post a link to my review, but that's nothing to do with guides, it's just so people can find out more about the game if they wish to. I wouldn't link to a guide, if I made any, because this site is for guides so it seems like a conflict of interest. So yeah, I think I kinda agree with the OP from a business stance.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

By that same logic, why delete any thread? It will just get buried.

Well the content of a removed thread (Which is actually rare) is content that contributes to an environment that isn’t wanted here. 

Does this content truly have that same impact?

Just now, turniplord said:

Wouldn't it be easier if there was an option to submit a video as THE trophy guide? That way it'll be placed in the guides section and not in the forum?

The problem with that is the video content can be changed later and there is no way to verify it’s that same content whenever someone views it later. Also, ensuring every video has the same format and content like is done for written guides would be a nightmare. 

7 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

Do we really want 20 individual threads promoting these guides? Yes, we aren't at that point yet, but without clear regulations on self-advertising, we will slowly get there. 

Multiple threads with the same video guides for the same game have been getting merged Into one thread for some time now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turniplord said:

Although, it should still require them to fill out the info at the top of the guide and basic info on each trophy.

I think what I'm getting at is, can't the video uploaders be made to actually write an official guide on the site and then place their video inside of it?

I will admit, I rarely will make a thread talking about a game and post a link to my review, but that's nothing to do with guides, it's just so people can find out more about the game if they wish to. I wouldn't link to a guide, if I made any, because this site is for guides so it seems like a conflict of interest. So yeah, I think I kinda agree with the OP from a business stance.

I honestly would love it if each game could have a text based and a video based guide. That way people could pick their preference and we stop getting text-guides that are just pushing videos at us. But that's probably an unpopular opinion for a different day.

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Well the content of a removed thread (Which is actually rare) is content that contributes to an environment that isn’t wanted here. 

Does this content truly have that same impact?

The problem with that is the video content can be changed later and there is no way to verify it’s that same content whenever someone views it later. Also, ensuring every video has the same format and content like is done for written guides would be a nightmare. 

Multiple threads with the same video guides for the same game have been getting merged Into one thread for some time now. 

When new members come here and see threads with little interaction and a video or text link, they will automatically think spam. It also discourages trophy guides to be made on this site - I'm not going to make a trophy guide and waste my time for someone already linked one in a thread and is getting that trophy guide clout. This is especially true to people who do embed their OC in their guides. This is even worst for the threads that are literally a link to offsite for a game review or something. I'm not clicking on that sketchy link, especially if you don't even summarize your point of view.

You can't change youtube videos once you upload them besides cutting them down to be shorter. 

That's actually good to know. Doesn't change my stance, but I like that improvement.

Also, moderation is still inconsistent with these types of threads and that's just plainly unfair. 

On 7/30/2020 at 4:35 PM, Kittet3 said:

When new members come here and see threads with little interaction and a video or text link, they will automatically think spam. It also discourages trophy guides to be made on this site - I'm not going to make a trophy guide and waste my time for someone already linked one in a thread and is getting that trophy guide clout. This is especially true to people who do embed their OC in their guides. This is even worst for the threads that are literally a link to offsite for a game review or something. I'm not clicking on that sketchy link, especially if you don't even summarize your point of view.

I can’t speak to the speculation about how every new member thinks the first time they visit the site, but on your other points:

The games that typically have video guides posted generally don’t have anyone claim interest in creating a guide. In the (two that I can remember) instances that someone creates a written guide for the site for those games, any video guides threads had been removed. 

We have also been reaching out to thread starters who only post a link to have them embed their content and give some context. 

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 1

I mean... I wasn't really doing mine for self promotion honestly... I mostly do mine for fun/because I want to. I never got into YouTube/Twitch streaming to become popular. That was never my goal. It was, again, because I felt like it and was mostly for fun. Whether you choose to believe that is up to you I guess.

As long as I can continue to do mine in some form or another... without too harsh of a consequence... that's fine by me honestly. If I have to keep to the Studio area... that's fine too.

I don't know what the mods want to do about all the old threads I made with it... unless they want to combine them all into a new thread in the Studio area. lol.

Regardless if this is implemented I'll just make a new thread in the Studio area where I'll post them from now on.

Keep me posted I guess.

I've come and gone on this. I think that they can be useful, but I really wish that they at least had to put "video" somewhere in the title. It's extremely annoying to click on a thread that says "trophy guide" and then see that it contains nothing but an hour-long video.

Either post a mini-guide in your thread, or make it clear in the title that it's a *video* guide.

• Like 1