Is it worth buying?

Jermster_91

It used to be that I would play open world games such as Assassins Creed or GTA often and enjoy them. However as I have gotten older, I have played less and less open world games. I guess doing the same thing for the 5th time or going from A to B and taking 5 mins of running or traveling to get there starts to become annoying. 

I know that Ghost of Tsushima has been heavily praised by critics and fans alike and was considering getting it but have me doubts since it is a open world game.

Please give your thoughs.

Really conflicted on this one. This is by far the most beautiful open world game I've played. But going for the platinum was exhausting at times. The stealth isn't that great and so most encounters lead to melee combat, and the melee system is really shallow. Every fight is won by switching to the "correct" stance to use to counter each enemy type. Using the wrong stance gets you nowhere, so experimentation is heavily discouraged. When you are in that correct stance, you break an enemy's guard by mashing triangle, then you can kill them by mashing square or triangle. This is how a majority of combat encounters ended up for me. The great exceptions to this were the one on one duels which were a lot of fun and I wish were a bigger focus. The side missions themselves were a mix.

The side missions are also a mixed bag. The ones given by your allies that tell a long story over the course of the game were really interesting. Also the legendary missions where you find new armor or a new technique were really great. However, a lot of the basic side missions are pretty generic AC level content. They sometimes involve you finding someone, accepting their missions, going out and doing it, and when you come back the person who gave you the mission is dead. And every mission just involves killing people, there's not a lot of variety to gameplay either.

I think if you aren't going for 100% completion and just want a great game to play, then yes play this. Get as much out of the side content as you want, but when it becomes stale, just do the main story. It's a decently good story and the enemies get more difficult at a great pace. The tedium happens when you are fully exploring the first and second areas and you've seen every trick the enemies have to offer.

• Like 2

If you are worried about having to move from one location to another, just know this is probably the best fast travel system that I have ever seen in a game. You can use fast travel without consuming any resources or without  having to be in a particular place. The loading screen takes only 5 or 6 seconds. There are so many locations you can travel to across the map, you never have to ride your horse for more than a couple of minutes if you really want to avoid travelling.

Unfortunately it does get a bit repetitive if you go for the platinum, but in my opinion that is unavoidable in open world games.

Worth buying? Yes, worth every penny if you ask me.

Edited by nrgjak
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, nrgjak said:

If you are worried about having to move from one location to another, just know this is probably the best fast travel system that I have ever seen in a game. You can use fast travel without consuming any resources or without  having to be in a particular place.

Sometimes the game will consume half of your ghost and ranged ammo for fast traveling.

Edited by BlackSabre500
  • Like 1

Yes absolutely, one of the best open world games I've played this entire generation. I do love the setting though, which helped to keep my interest. I would say look into the gameplay and see if that is something you would enjoy doing. The plat will probably take 30-40hrs for most people, but it probably took me close to 60hrs as I was in constant awe over how beautiful the game is. I spent a few hours in photo mode alone.

• Like 1

It's a good open world game no doubt.  However, I don't see how it's any different than playing Assassins Creed.   It's basically Assassins Creed set in Japan.   It almost mimics Assassins Creed in every way.  The Side missions are very bland and repetitive.  They are an exact copy of the formula used for missions in AC there is no originality whatsoever.  You go and talk to a quest giver.  You go to a location.  You investigate usually three clues by interacting with them.  You follow some tracks to find a bad guy and you slash them down.  At this point you go back to the quest giver for completion of mission.  You then repeat this process about 60 times.  I followed tracks in this game probably 25 times.  It's not that great or anything original at all.  they even go as far as to use many of the same types of gadgets you would have in AC like hallucinogenic darts and such. You clear outposts either stealthy or head on combat just like AC.   I joked at one point that a bug occurred because all my AC odyssey progress carried over.  Lmao

My advice is if you are bored and tired of open world game I don't see how this reinvents them in any way.  I was very disappointed to find myself in a AC odyssey type of mission scheme and I was bored mostly.  They did a few cool things for sure.  The game is beautiful for sure.  So aren't most open world games theses days.  The collectibles are done nicely no need for a guide.  Honestly though if I waited this long I'd at least wait for a sale and maybe plan on playing this instead of AC valhalla.  I know I won't be picking that up because I can't do another open world fetch quest style game for a while now.  I can only take so much. 

• Like 2

it’s a great game that I would rate somewhere around an 8 or 8.5/10. Doesn’t do anything new or groundbreaking but you can tell it’s an open world game that was crafted with care. Combat is great, the world is beautiful, side quests aren’t on the same level as the Witcher 3 but they ain’t terrible ones where you have to find some old ladies cat either and the story is serviceable although it only picks up about halfway through. 

My biggest faults with the game is that the stealth is so unsatisfying compared to the melee combat which is a shame in a ninja/samurai game and the story doesn’t live up to its full potential. You have great moments like the final boss fight or his transition into becoming the “ghost” but those moments are few and far between. As someone said above, if you’re tired of open world games this might not reignite your love for the genre but it’s still a game worth playing regardless. 

I'm gonna have to say no.

If you're tired of open world games, then you probably won't like GoT.

It's pretty much a generic AC style open world game except it's set in Japan. It doesn't really do anything different to all the other hundreds of open world games out there. 

Edited by Azaan60
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 11:34 PM, nrgjak said:

you never have to ride your horse for more than a couple of minutes if you really want to avoid travelling.

Thats good because ive found the horse travel in this game very clunky. Maybe because ive been used to the newer ac games and recently spent about 100 hours on rdr2 but when you gallop its like hes strangling the horse

1 hour ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Thats good because ive found the horse travel in this game very clunky. Maybe because ive been used to the newer ac games and recently spent about 100 hours on rdr2 but when you gallop its like hes strangling the horse

At least the horse doesn't run into trees like in RDR2 but yes, not the best horse gameplay we have ever seen.

• Like 2

I'll just tell you that .... I think it's the only game that makes me regret that I sold my ps4 in the ideea that ps5 appears, ok it was Last of Us 2 ?as well, but this game is clearly a reason  in addition to loving video games, and their ability to feed your soul!

I'm telling you this after watching consistent gameplay, which I'm not tired of!?