Is it worth buying?

Jermster_91

I hate this question because I don't want anyone to be coming back on me if they end up not liking it after I recommended it. This has never happened to me but i've seen it happen to others so that keeps me from doing it lol. I'll say this much, 85 hours later, its finally over for me lol(for now). Game was fun. Fun gameplay. Good story, good side characters/side missions. I like Jin's character growth through out the game. Boss fights(duels) had great presentation and could get pretty intense at times. Funny enough, they weren't a straight incline in difficulty, some of the earlier bosses were more difficult than the later ones it seemed. One of the best looking open world games i've ever seen even with its shortcomings here and there(can't wait to see what they do with the PS5 version). And it's great that it has arguably the best photmode ever so you can mess around with things. Spent hours doing so.

I had planned on doing a Kurosawa mode run after the first play through but i'm going to hold off on that for a while since I put so much time into this game on first run. I may end up just waiting till PS5 or if we get a ng+ or something. One thing tho, there was too many inari shrine fox missions, way too many of them. I wouldn't have a problem with them if they led to cool locations but often enough they led to you going in between or under some rocks and that's it. F that lol. The Ghost stance was too op also. I just stuck to using my sword most of the time outside of catching runners(did go on a little stealth run there). Finished with the Platinum. I dunno, I can't put a score on this really right now. I've been going from 8.5 to 9 but in reality, a score doesn't really describe the feeling I got playing the game. I really enjoyed this. Most enjoyable open world game i've played in a while. Yes it doesn't do anything new when I comes to open world but it's so awe inspiring in it's visuals/scenery that it made forgot about stuff like that for the most part. Helped out by the fact that the combat is pretty enjoyable too. 

This is my game of the year so far. Then again, I haven't played much new this year so far because i've been pretty lazy on wanting to boot up something new. I credit this game for at least motivating me to break out of my shell. This is my favorite SuckerPunch game now I believe. Infamous 2 was my favorite before this. This game is significant for me and I think a lot of fans who enjoy it because we've been asking for a Samurai or what not game like this for a long time now and I believe SuckerPunch delivered on it even if it's not flawless. I think a lot of the positive reactions kind of feel this way. And this is not a recommendation, this is only my thoughts.;)

Edited by AlphaExGAT
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So far, I am only a few hours into the game. The first hurdle for me was the controls. I just came off from another game where the controls were completely opposite. So, I am guessing that is why I struggled with them. However, I was able to overcome this relatively quickly in the game. About an hour or so into it things started feeling a lot better and I felt like I had more control. The second thing that I had an issue with was the navigation of the game, especially when it came to the open world. That part I am still trying to get used to. Aside from those two things, this game is actually a whole lot of fun. I am really enjoying it. I can't wait to finish it so that I can play it again but this time with the black and white feature. I have been waiting for a game like this for a long time. I thought The Last of Us 2 was going to be it. Which was actually a huge let down. I am so pleased with this game. They do a great job pulling you into the story. You actually want to invest into the side missions and you generally want to help the people. Another feature that I really enjoy is the option to choose between running into battle swords swinging or taking a more stealth approach. They do an amazing job at making it feel like an authentic Samurai experience with several different features. At first, I thought this was one of those button smashing games but it is not. In fact, you actually don't want to smash buttons as fast as you can. You are better off going slow and timing your attacks, blocks and counter attacks. You are an honorable samurai, not some filthy barbarian. This is one of those games that you generally look forward to coming home and playing. If you have not played this and are thinking about checking it out, do yourself a favor and play it. You will not be disappointed. 

48 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Backlog is large.  Will get this discounted down the road (on the PS5).

I would strongly suggest you put this towards the top of your list. You wont regret it. I did the same thing with The Last of Us. I waited for it on the PS4. I really wish that I would have played it on the PS3 so that I could have platinum the game twice. I am sure they will do another release on the PS5. But, almost everyone who beat it on the PS4 will be getting it again for the PS5 just to play it again. It is that great of a game. I can't remember the last time I played a game this good. It is just a well rounded game. 

It has the same formula as a lot of other open world games. Some of it can be really fun and some of it can get tedious very quickly. The main story is pretty good and the side stories are also good, but some of them drag on for a little too long. Combat is solid although I wouldn't put it up there with something like Sekiro or DMC5. If you're tired of open world games then maybe hold off on this until there's a sale or you feel more in the mood for one.

Yes, I would buy it. However, I would wait for the price to drop. It's because realistically, most trophy hunters, including the people who have responded, will only play the game once to get the platinum, then proceed to never play the game again. Unless sucker punch decides to introduce DLC 

31 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

People are too caught up on the new shiny thing to properly judge.

Yeah because suddenly people are going to hate this game six months from now.

I would highly recommend this game any day, not because it’s “new” ?

Bought for the art style, plat'ed it for the funs.

Pros:

That art

Personally, no pacing issues on the main mission

Some really good and emotional side quests

Combat is fun but not too deep. Should try Hard mode from the start.

Jin is very likable. Loved his arc

The loading screens are almost next gen

Ghost Stance

Cons

Some bad side quests. AC style

Too many foxes leading you to not so great vistas. Less foxes, more bamboo strikes pls

I hate saying a game doesn't do something new for the genre, it's a pretty petty argument. Witcher 3 has a side quest about finding a frying pan, and look where that game went..dare I say, it doesn't do nothing new to the open world formula either.

So yea, I'd recommend Tsushima if you're willing to invest in another open world.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kaltezhan said:

The loading screens are almost next gen

The first patch actually made them longer so you had time to read the tips.
Mind-blowing

Granted we haven't seen Cyberpunk yet, I still really think Ghost of Tsushima is a strong contender for game of the year. The last of us part 2 was great and was definitely critic bait (but damn did it drag on in some sections), Ghost was genuine fun for me from start to finish.

1 hour ago, RedSkyKing said:

Yeah because suddenly people are going to hate this game six months from now.

I would highly recommend this game any day, not because it’s “new” 1f644.png

Nobody has said anything about hating the game, don't put words in someone's mouth,  in a few months people won't hate the game, but you'll find less people suddenly rushing in to defend it from any (real or perceived) criticism, like you now.

I'm aiming to platinum this game (beat the game yesterday) and I've had a ton of fun!

I would say go for it. I don't regret at all getting the special edition (first steelcase I've ever gotten), even more so now since it seems the special edition is sold out everywhere! 

The setting in this game is amazing, Sucker Punch did really well with that. The story is decent too but outside of that the gameplay didn't really offer anything new. It's just your standard "clear the map" type game where you have to do the same 3 or 4 things over and over again and that got a bit tedious for me. There's only so many fox dens I can see before the cuteness and novelty wears off. Combat was very repetitive towards the end as well.

For an open world game it was also not very memorable in a sense that while looking good, it had no distinctive landmarks or towns or anything that really stood out. As a comparison, I still remember clearly riding in to Valentine for the first time in RDR2 or Strawberry or Saint Denis for that matter. I can picture them all clearly and have great memories of each of them. RDR2 nailed the open world setting. I feel Ghost falls very short on this front, albeit while looking pretty.

It's the setting that is selling so many copies, I feel. We need more games set in feudal Japan!

I am a few days and several hours into this game and I am still enjoying it. They have a way of making it feel entertaining even while you are working on collectibles. I goal is to chase down the platinum. However, I seriously can't wait to start the game over so I can play it with Kurosawa Mode enabled. I think that is going to be a ton of fun to run through the game in an old style black and white setting.