FC5 and its DLC seem not great...

Kizer26

I like Far Cry as a series, it's a fun game to just run around a get into gun fights, take over a base or do some side missions. The DLC for these games are always weirder, but that's a part of their charm for me, going from "look out for bears" to "look out for yetis" was pretty fun. Far Cry 5 as a whole never thrilled me as much as the others to be fair, mostly because of the story structure. Essentially being told to "faff about" enough before the story comes and gets me isn't my kind of thing, If I want to do the story, I have to mess around, if I want to do side missions, I get dragged away, it's always against that I want to be doing. Sometimes this is really funny, like when I did a side quest to learn how to fish and this angered the zealot of that region so much he sent hunters after me to drag me away into a story mission, but usually it's just annoying. 

As for the DLC, when you get rid of the story structure it seemed pretty good. Hours of Darkness was pretty cool, I liked the focus on stealth, the game did that well. I found it annoying the game tells you your friends have permadeath as they're dying as oppose to when they tell you to save them, but a quick reload and the more you know. Also weird that you can just sprint to the end, but it made the 3 required playthroughs easy, so no complaint. All in all, not bad! Lost on Mars was pretty good too, I didn't feel like Nick was a great player character, but the PC in the main game didn't even talk so I guess it's an improvement (besides, it's Hurk who steals the show there). Go around, collect stuff, take over bases towers, a good Far Cry experience with a quirky DLC twist, pretty good!

I hated Dead Living Zombies. I'm still going through it for trophies, but I actually hate it. I knew of the zombie enemies from playing the ARCADE mode, and I didn't like them there either. They don't seem to fit the gameplay well, and most of the zombie mechanics seem designed to be annoying. You walk into a room, thirty zombies spawn and sprint at you, and when they're close you can't even see them as they press against you. They tank hits except headshots, but headshots on an uncommon number of them spew fire which makes the tiny corridors a hazard. Melee attacks stun single enemies but deal little to no damage, and a core gameplay mechanic is destroying machines that are immune to all damage but bullets (melee and explosives do nothing to them). It could easily be me, but the zombies are the worst thing in a Far Cry game, I'd rather fight the eagles from FC4 and that's saying something.

dhole-3_2.gif

• Like 1

Far Cry 4's DLC wasn't anything great either. You're mostly defending a base until it's time to leave. Fighting the Yetis was the best thing about the DLC.

Vietnam, Mars and fighting Zombies in Far Cry 5's DLC seems a lot more intriguing and fun.

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

Far Cry 4's DLC wasn't anything great either. You're mostly defending a base until it's time to leave. Fighting the Yetis was the best thing about the DLC.

Vietnam, Mars and fighting Zombies in Far Cry 5's DLC seems a lot more intriguing and fun.

I thought the Vietnam and Mars DLCs were pretty good, but Zombies seem more annoying than fun. The idea is good, but I wish it took more of an Undead Nightmare from RDR approach than the fire-spewing rage hordes 

2 hours ago, hittheroadbucky said:

I haven’t played the DLC for Far Cry 5 yet but I really enjoyed the main game. It can be a little annoying if you get dragged off by the story if you’re wanting to do something else but it’s not like you can’t go back to what you were doing after ?1f3fb.png‍♀️ 

Getting dragged off in my opinion was more cumbersome than anything, because it always happened when I was invested in a series of side quests or taking over a base. I don't think it would bother me if I had the option to do the story mission and if I didn't it dragged me to it, but having to mess around to fill a bar so I can do a story seemed faulty. That might also be because I wasn't super invested in the story, since the four baddies were all dullish religious folk. They just didn't strike me like Vaas and Citra, or Pagan Min

I quite liked it. I enjoyed the base game, i mostly rolled with the peaches and cheeseburger supremely overlevelled, did the hard mode ng+ legit on my own, really enjoyed it, loved the dlc weapons, the martian one was the best and i was pleasantly surprised to get those ridiculous af op guns for the base game, made the hard mode a bit easier but it was still really tough. the vietnam dlc was a bit of a letdown and the ai must have had surgically fitted binoculars to see you that fuckin far away.

all in all I really liked far cry 5, zombie dlc sucked solo having to scrutinise the kills for extreme points just to pass it. did it on xbox 1 x, only thing i really didn't like was the sluggish frame rate even for the 1x it felt slow and aiming was unresponsive dunno bout pro.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

Agree the DLC was a letdown.  Actually, I quite enjoyed the Vietnam one.  But Mars was boring AF and have not been able to get into the ZOMBIES one.  They should stick with what works and not the nonsensical add-ons.

I liked the base game a lot; it is better than FC4 IMO but they still missed an opportunity to make it even better as the political landscape was ripe for commentary but they played it relatively safe.

Looking forward to FC6 on the PS5!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

I quite liked it. I enjoyed the base game, i mostly rolled with the peaches and cheeseburger supremely overlevelled, did the hard mode ng+ legit on my own, really enjoyed it, loved the dlc weapons, the martian one was the best and i was pleasantly surprised to get those ridiculous af op guns for the base game, made the hard mode a bit easier but it was still really tough. the vietnam dlc was a bit of a letdown and the ai must have had surgically fitted binoculars to see you that fuckin far away.

all in all I really liked far cry 5, zombie dlc sucked solo having to scrutinise the kills for extreme points just to pass it. did it on xbox 1 x, only thing i really didn't like was the sluggish frame rate even for the 1x it felt slow and aiming was unresponsive dunno bout pro.

I stopped playing the Zombies DLC and started my infamous NG+, definitely tough but yeah some of those Mars weapons are way to OP, and I got Cheeseburger as by brute and Boomer scouting enemies for me ?

Out of all 3, Hurks dialogue saved Lost on Mars for me, Hours of Darkness was probably the most boring one albeit still fun for the three playthroughs required and Dead Living Zombies was the best one imo.

I feel like if you're not going to add to the main story, using the engine to create alternate stories within the universe is a good way to go and Ubisoft did that here pretty well.

They are just lazy. When Ubisoft does a good DLC they decide to sell it as a standalone game. Can't complain for the price though, SP is on sale all time for £9.99 and you get loads of in game items, 3 DLC and Far Cry 3. 

Edited by GUDGER666

12 hours ago, Cobbsquatch said:

Imagine thinking the jumping simulator of the Mars DLC was fun, but not the L4D clone DLC :(

For me at least, the Mars DLC was basic but worked well enough, Hurk was funny and the new enemies were interesting enough to fight for the short length of the DLC. I've never played L4D so I can't compare it to that. I didn't mind the structure of the DLC, mostly the enemies felt good in concept but annoying in play, but to each their own ?

I'm still on my way to platinum, but so far this is my favourite Far Cry game. Love the more "northern" atmosphere, cult villains and overall setting. Planes and helicopters are fun and convenient. Maybe I took a long break after FC4, but FC5 never feels like a chore for me, unlike almost all others Ubi games — I'm really having fun this time. Not looking forward for DLC's and Arcade trophies though. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Arcade trophies weren't bed tbh, Me and a buddy goofed off on some maps and it took less than a day. Some trophies only require you to play X number of maps, not win, so you can suicide and quit which makes it easier with some of the player made content. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's annoying too how the game just decides to drag you to a mission that you wasn't doing. You would just randomly drop on the ground and then it takes you to a hallucination and you end up elsewhere when you're back in reality. Very annoying, it even happens in the middle of a side mission or when you're looting a house. I like the game... but not solo. I'm glad I have a coop partner or I would not play this. The story is interesting but all of the side quest stories? Don't care about them all, I skip the dialogue like 95% of the time. Also I'm not trying to be that chick but they went a bit over the top with some missions and trophies such as: killing a bull with your bare hands (trophy), killing bulls is a mission, killing pigs is a mission objective, seeing cows getting blown up to then see dead animals everywhere in a side mission, it's all a bit too much... I get that killing animals is a necessity in some games like Far Cry Primal, Horizon Zero Dawn, ... but in this game it feels unnecessary. Also I noticed some animal magazines have sexual information underneath it like the "Deer Hunting" magazine, I just think... "Why? That's so weird to write under an ANIMAL magazine...?" But hey, that's just my opinion.

I do not own the DLC so I can't comment about that. I won't get it either.

Edited by LoveInHell

18 hours ago, LoveInHell said:

I think it's annoying too how the game just decides to drag you to a mission that you wasn't doing.

My favorite was during my run on the higher difficulty, I wanted to do it quick and I found a great way to rack up the You-Can-Play-The-Story-Now meter was to destroy the towers/silos/etc in each area. So I would spawn in a helicopter with missiles and do drive-bys, until suddenly one of the hunters shot me with a drug arrow while I was IN THE HELICOPTER and I watched as I slowly drifted asleep in the middle of a falling helicopter, only to awake in a den to "Cull the herd."

1 hour ago, Kizer26 said:

My favorite was during my run on the higher difficulty, I wanted to do it quick and I found a great way to rack up the You-Can-Play-The-Story-Now meter was to destroy the towers/silos/etc in each area. So I would spawn in a helicopter with missiles and do drive-bys, until suddenly one of the hunters shot me with a drug arrow while I was IN THE HELICOPTER and I watched as I slowly drifted asleep in the middle of a falling helicopter, only to awake in a den to "Cull the herd."

Lmao this happened to me and my bf too. It was really odd, so... yeah that happens. ?

I'm not a huge fan of DLC that doesn't extend the main game. I mean if I wanted to play a different game I would buy a different game.

With that said, I enjoyed the Vietnam DLC a lot. The space one with Hurk I kinda hated but loved the dialog. The 3rd was entertaining to me personally but hated the scoring system and how a decent number of areas enemies just materialize right around me because I went too fast through something or that so many areas you all but had to cheese.

I'm still working through 2 of the zombie maps that sound like I need to do a co-op session for because they sound near impossible for me personally solo (the one on top of the buildings, and the one where your racing around in a jeep). The trophy for the 5000 kills is the type of trophy that should never exist IMO. Just a grind for DLC that has really nothing to do with the main story just so they can probably say that people are still playing the game.