What has been the hardest boss on expert for you so far?

Samakin_Pie

4 hours ago, BloodyRutz said:

To be honest I'm kinda bummed about how I'm struggling with basically every boss on Expert. I did not expect to finish them on the first try but it makes the whole A-Ranking the game on Regular pointless since it feels like I'm basically learning all of them from scratch again. I'm thinking about just giving up on the trophy since finally defeating the boss I already played multiple times after several hours hardly feels like an achievement anyway.

Don't give up! You can do it.

Wally was the boss requiring the most resets to get through, therefore it probably was the hardest boss on expert for me.

But I want to talk about Cala Maria: This boss is pure bullshit with that purely RNG based petrifying attack.

It it just based on luck how many HP you lose during those attacks, no skill involved. That made me want to quit a few times...

I love the game, bought it three times now on PC, Switch and PS4. But that boss is simply no fun. Like at all.

For me: #1 ROYAL HONEYBOTTOMS, with a close #2 THE DEVIL and #3 PHANTOM EXPRESS

...I tend to choke and they have the WORST final phases. Can’t tell ya how many times I got to a final phase with full HP, only to DIE in absolute SHAME!!! Literally wanted to hit the controller across my face until one or the other broke!

Seems the most common is WALLY WARBLES, or the plane related boss fights. We should of had a public vote % board.

• Like 1

Probably that dickhead bird tbh. I don't even know how. Somehow he gave me more trouble than the robot, dice, devil and bee. It took me something like 2 hours to finally beat him and I still don't know why it was so difficult. The first phase with the 5-way eggs and the never-ending stream of green trash mobs are just a nightmare to deal with.

On 05/08/2020 at 9:20 PM, Spinosaurus Rex said:

I'm done with expert, and it's hard for me to choose one hardest boss, because every boss fought in plane gave me some trouble (suprisingly, except Cala Maria which I beat on second attempt, but the fight is pretty RNG heavy so I was lucky there) - Wally Warbles, Djimmi The Great, Dr. Kahl's Robot, even Hilda Berg I found harder than some later "normal" bosses, mainly because of a bit unprecise controls and lack of homing shots which you can somewhat abuse on most "normal" bosses. From "normal" bosses, King Dice was probably the hardest due to the length and difficulty of the last phase.

Definitely enjoyed going for the trophy. I'm more surprised there's no thread about Pacifist Runs, because they're pure bulls**t and one of the most frustrating things I've recently attempted. Almost made me hate the game.

Weird, I had the same experience with Cala Maria, meanwhile all the other plane ones were a total nightmare, especially the bird. It also didn't help that the mode felt like a tagged-on after-thought and had little to no sense of achievement for me

Surprisingly bosses that were super hard on my first playthrough like Cala Maria and Dr. Kahl's Robot were not hard at all on expert, and bosses that were pretty easy on my normal playthrough were super hard on expert, for example Hilda Berg and Wally Warbles.

My top5 toughest bosses on Expert is:

1-Wally Warbles

2-The Devil

3-King Dice

4-Hilda Berg

5-Grim Matchstick

Edited by Lezonidas

I had the most trouble with Cala Maria on expert difficulty. I kept messing up and taking a hit or two when she would do the pufferfish and ghost combo which almost always left me with 1 life during her last phase that I was, and still am, horrible at.

Edited by Eldrick84
Incorrect boss name

On 31/07/2020 at 3:33 PM, Ptirle said:

Be sure to shrink around the eggs, didnt pose much as a problem, and with twin hearts it is pretty doable. Wonder how much damage is lowered with twin hearts as I dont seem to see the difference with or without them. 

I watched a tutorial on Youtube (I think the channel is 'the inhuman one') , single heart lowers your damage about 4% and twin hearts about 9%.

• Like 1

For me the most difficult bosses in general were all those of the airplane phases, except for Cala Maria, which is the easiest depending on the randomness of its attacks. The airplane phases are difficult because unlike the phases on the ground, in airplanes you receive attacks from all possible points. But speaking of the toughest boss, I must mention Wally Warbles, he was the one that took me the longest, his first phase is very difficult, especially because of the attacks with the egg, his second phase is difficult at the beginning but after many attempts it becomes easy, although there is always a margin of error. The third phase is the most complicated, that of the chick in the ship, I managed to perfect the first two phases and overcome them without taking damage, but whenever I arrived with the chick, I lost all my life points. It took me many attempts to discover the pattern to emerge more or less unscathed from that phase. The last phase is the least complicated, but it became difficult because it almost always arrived with very few points of life to it. The second most difficult boss would be Dr. Khal's Robot, but I don't take as many tries as Wally Warbles. The Difficulty of the Robot is the last phase that lasts forever, but the first two phases are easy when you discover the technique to overcome them quickly, and its last phase is very similar to the second phase of Wally Warbles, so when you discover the pattern don't It is so complicated, you just have to reach that phase with all the life points.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finished the game last month and had a great time playing it, but certain phases of some bosses were a nightmare. 

1. Wally Warbles (the eggs and the chick) 

2. Dr. Kahl's Robot (bullet hell though it was not much worse than Normal)

3. Djimmi the Great (the pyramids with lasers)

4. Cala Maria (floating Medusa head in the coral reef)

5. Hilda Berg (Sagittarius and Moon) 

Edited by flugurnarrr

• 2 weeks later...

The Devil took a while for me. I found the flight levels easy, a few attempts each at most. Now I only have the easy ones one island 1 and 2 left but some reason I got stuck on Beppi the Clown and haven’t been able to bring myself to pick up the game again. Will finish it someday. 

• 1 month later...

Just got my platinum! Super rewarding, and I strongly suggest anybody thinkin about it just go for it. Expert was definitely rough, but some bosses were pleasant surprises in how little of a boost they got from regular while still being interestingly different. My list of the hardest probably isn't TOO different from most...

5. Djimmi the Great. Hell of a jump in the challenge with him, I thought. Took a while to get through the first phase unscathed. Second phase requires serious concentration, and the third isn't too bad as long as you don't get too confident with the pattern, but the fourth one can be tough. That pinocchio killed me more times than I'd care to admit, but once you can make it past him the last stage is surprisingly easy, as the pattern appears to be exactly the same as it was on regular.

Funny story - after my third and final quit (this one was after the first Wally encounter; not a rage quit but a resigned one, like a young person who gives up on love because they just can't meet the right person... but for a video game. SAD.), I did acid and for whatever reason firing this game back up felt like the most sensible thing in the world. I proceeded to completely finish isle two, with only Wally giving me much trouble. Probably pulled it off because I was too high to be frustrated or angry, more busy giggling about how damn cool this game is. Anyway, let's move on!

4. Hilda Berg. This was my first taste of real difficulty spike in the expert run, and my second rage quit (after Grim on regular mode, who bizarrely was super easy on difficult. Go figure). Those green motherfuckers are the worst, and it was here that I learned my most valuable lesson on expert - don't be greedy with doling out damage! As fight refs say, protect yourself at all times! Unless you're one of those overachievers makin the rest of us look bad with their expert S runs, survival is the most important thing. And dear lord, that final phase is tricky and it just doesn't want to end!

3. The Devil. Tons of peeps are sayin he was easy, and well, y'all are much better at this game than I am. First phase is horrible, your timing needs to be impeccable and losing focus for a split second will cost you. Second phase is a breeze once you get down the patterns of the birds, goons, and falling chips. There seem to be way more tears on expert though, I wasn't prepared to have to parry multiple times and I went from five HP to one real quick?

2. King Dice. Might could be me but the dice seemed a bit faster, the parryable cards were fewer and farther between, and the mini bosses were just that much more annoying. I was doin okay til he got me down to one HP after I made a careless mistake and panicked, and I freely admit to cheesin the last few card rollouts hiding behind his hand.

1. Wally Warbles, which seems pretty close to unanimous to me. Took forever to learn how to survive the first phase, the third phase is super irritating - even when you master zipping in and out of those eggs, it's still waayyy too easy to make a mistake. Last phase isn't too bad but it kinda just keeps goin and if you've got two or less HP, good luck.

Wow. Props to anybody who read all that!

• Like 3

There were a few that weren’t nearly as tough for me on expert like Grim, Dr Khal and Cala Maria. Still hard, but the ones I had the most trouble with were the Devil, Hilda berg, Phantom express and oddly enough Werner wermans 2nd phase was killing me. Didn’t find Wally all that bad for some reason.. All I’ve got left for the plat is brineybeard and then the passive runs, but I have enjoyed this game and the challenge immensely 

• Like 2