Fearless0610

Favorite Playstation Console?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Playstation Console?

• Playstation
    • Playstation 2
    • Playstation 3
    • Playstation 4

I don't know if this thread has been made before but with the PS5 just around the corner. I'm curious to know what's everyone's favorite PlayStation console and why. It's hard to believe Sony entered the gaming world back in 94 and changed the industry forever. But my favorite is and always will be the PS2. I have soooo many great memories with that console. I still consider 2001 to be the greatest year ever for gaming. You had Grand Theft Auto 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, Ico, Jak & Daxter, Devil May Cry, Halo: Combat Evolved, Max Payne, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Silent Hill 2, Animal Crossing, Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec, the list goes. A lot of these are widely considered to be some of the greatest games ever made and a lot of them were from the PS2. The console also made DVD's super popular and really paved the way for gaming being the biggest thing in entertainment. So yeah it holds a special place for me but to be honest all 4 consoles are incredible and have provided wonderful games for all us

I was originally going to add the PSP and Vita but mainly wanted to focus on the consoles 

Edited by Fearless0610

Split between PS1 which brought large scale 3D gaming, and PS4 which brought VR and had trophies day 1. 2 was great for software but didn’t bring real change. 3 brought online, but I got it very very late in the day (not long before I got my launch PS4).

Ultimately...I’ll say PS4 very closely followed by PS1.

My first Ps console was the Playstation 1, and while I really enjoyed that I preferred the PS2 over it. The PS2 just was a massive improvement, the games were amazing, so many good co op games you could play the whole day with your friends, so many different types of games, visually stunning (for the time) games like MGS3 I still can't believe ran on such an old console. PS1 and Ps2 are both still functional. The PS4 is good as well, but it comes nowhere near it for me, which admittedly is not entirely the consoles fault. The Ps3 is a piece of shit though, so much so that it pushed me away from Playstation and towards the PC, for years I played PC or old PS games instead, and to this day I refuse to buy a PS3 even though there are still games I would like to play that are only playable on this fucking thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nighcisama said:

My first Ps console was the Playstation 1, and while I really enjoyed that I preferred the PS2 over it. The PS2 just was a massive improvement, the games were amazing, so many good co op games you could play the whole day with your friends, so many different types of games, visually stunning (for the time) games like MGS3 I still can't believe ran on such an old console. PS1 and Ps2 are both still functional. The PS4 is good as well, but it comes nowhere near it for me, which admittedly is not entirely the consoles fault. The Ps3 is a piece of shit though, so much so that it pushed me away from Playstation and towards the PC, for years I played PC or old PS games instead, and to this day I refuse to buy a PS3 even though there are still games I would like to play that are only playable on this fucking thing.

Bit harsh. The PS3, and especially the original fat model, was such a feature rich device. Not my favourite (PS4 takes that, largely for PSVR) but why the PS3 hate?

I really can't decide between PS2 and PS4 so haven't voted as yet.

I never had a PS1 because I got N64 instead and was always loyal to Nintendo until I got a PS2 in 2007, so can't comment on that one.

PS3 however is the worst console (as in hardware-wise) that I've ever owned. It has an amazing library of games though, especially the exclusives, so in that regard it's great and I can't fault it there.

I was honestly going to pick PS Vita as my fave though! I absolutely adore that little guy!

I have some thermonuclear levels of nostalgia for PS1, but I have to pick the PS2. The main reason is because that generation has all my favourite games, and the greatest library in general, IMO. 

Burnout 1, 2, Takedown, and Revenge

Devil May Cry 1, 2, 3

Final Fantasy X, XII (maybe not the best gen for FF, but still)

Gran Turismo 3, 4

God of War 1, 2

GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas

Hitman 2, Contracts, Blood Money

Jak 1, 2, 3, X

Katamari Damacy, We Love Katamari

Kingdom Hearts 1, 2

MGS 2, 3

NFS Underground 1, 2, Most Wanted, Carbon

Prince of Persia SoT, WW, TTT

Ratchet 1, 2, 3

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, RE4

Silent Hill 2, 3, 4

Sly 1, 2, 3

SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1, 2, Persona 3, 4

Soulcalibur 2, 3

Tekken 4, 5, Tag Tournament

... and so on. Many of these series had their best games on the PS2 generation. Many were so good, they were remastered for the PS3 and the PS4.

The PS3 had a great library, but In my opinion it doesn't compare to the PS2's. In terms of hardware, the PS3 was probably the worst. The developers have often said that the PS3 was difficult to make games for. For example, Kazunori Yamauchi has said that GT5 took so long to make because of it. Also, the multiplatform games often looked better on Xbox 360. The PS4 is great in terms of hardware, and the games are awesome, but the library is still not as good as on the PS2.

• Like 1

PS2 has most of my all time favorite games on it and is the home of many JRPGs which is my most favorite genre. That and the fact it can also play PS1 games (which also has a lot of JRPGs) makes it my favorite. I don't care for all the hardware advances and "cool" things the PS3 and 4 can do. I only care about the games it can play and they're both tied in that department for me.

Sony actually entered the gaming world in 1989.

I don't know that I would qualify any as my favorite. I would say my least-favorite is PS1. Mainly because at that point in time I was still playing a lot of SNES and sorry, but I sank more time into CIV II than any console games during PS1's prime-time. In fact, I didn't even play a lot of PS1 games until I got my PS2 and then played them mostly through there.

If anything, I've probably put in more hours on my PSP than any of the other consoles and my Vita is second, but still a distance from my PSP.

As much as I enjoy all of the systems throuought the years and even the PS3 later on its life cycle. I have to pick the PS4. It's almost no competition.

The PS4 has had some of my favourite games and some of THE best games of all time.

Persona 5

Yakuza 0

Nier Automata

Bloodborne

The games I just listed are some of my favourite games of all time and Thats just to name a few but a lot of games from each era has had a port or remaster or even a reamake some sort with games like The Last of Us Remastered, Resident Evil 2 and even the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy.

I wouldn't say it's been the best overall but you can't argue with the quality of games that have been released.

If I had to order them. With ports/remakes and all that considered, then it go:

PS4 - PS2 - PS3 - PS1

Edited by The_UW_98

5 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Sony actually entered the gaming world in 1989.

I don't know that I would qualify any as my favorite. I would say my least-favorite is PS1. Mainly because at that point in time I was still playing a lot of SNES and sorry, but I sank more time into CIV II than any console games during PS1's prime-time. In fact, I didn't even play a lot of PS1 games until I got my PS2 and then played them mostly through there.

If anything, I've probably put in more hours on my PSP than any of the other consoles and my Vita is second, but still a distance from my PSP.

I know but I meant with the Playstation brand. Should have been more clear

I could not give another answer: Playstation 2. I really like the PS4, but the PS2 was much more revolutionary at its time. On a more personal level, it was the console that I played the most number of titles and spent the most hours, and was the console that set my standards for what to expect of other games.

Call me old but for me PS1 is where it's at.

PS4 is a close second since it's the one I spent most time with trophy hunting and stuff, but while I value memories of borrowing a friend's PS2 to indulge in the Jak games and the first two Star Wars Battlefronts, it feels like it's gargantuan library has also a lot of trash and it isn't enticing when I can only get my hands on faulty PS2s in the wild that refuse to read games and give tons of trouble when trying to make them work. PS3 I feel even more lukewarm on since I went through like four of them, all yellow-lighting after being pretty new back when they released, but thankfully it was all in warranty-range, and the experience made me switch to 360, the latest model that didn't come with the red-ring of death "feature".

But I still remember fondly being a kid in my uncle's house during a hot summer, sweating from intense Tekken 3 sessions with my little sister, plus, once I became an adult and was able to revisit the system, all the models I got work perfectly, but most of all, it just feels like a very daring console. Yeah, because people barely understood 3D you got some trashy games with bad controls for a 3D enviroment but I'm willing to argue that it was precisely that feeling of going into uncharted territory that gives the PS1 it's charm. Games like LSD: Dream Emulator, Jumping Flash!, Bushido Blade, Ape Escape... even if you don't exactly enjoy the gameplay the wide range of odd, clunky titles filled with charm that tried to look at the system's capabilites and controller are something to be cherrished. I think the PS1 has this very experimental feel to it that only increases the more obscure you get with region-locked games, weird gimmicks and the birth of many beloved game developers during that crucial moment of gaming. Even some games that aren't my cup of tea look interesting enough and can't be denied for their merits. Stuff like the Abe games, the long list of PS1 RPGs I'm sure many RPG fans regard highly, the Resident Evil franchise, a variety of good racing games, your odd puzzle games, the first steps into stealth games with MGS, and a load of platformers I will need to one day try for myself.

It also helps that my second favourite game ever (Gex: Enter the Gecko) is best enjoyed on PS1, and stuff like Ape Escape, Tekken 3, Bushido Blade and LSD: Dream Emulator also rank pretty high for me. So yeah, PS1 is best, Sony better release PS1 Classic 2 with a better library and overall emulation. Yeah, we can all dream

• Like 2

Grew up on PS2 and PC . great memories and a lot of fun BUT PS4 is the most consistent console with the best exclusives line up ever IMO.

In the future it'll be remembered as the greatest sony generation (until 2020 ) in terms of exclusive quality and great 3rd party support.

TLDR ; my list is: 

1.PS4 

2.PS2 

3.PS3 

4.PS1