Fearless0610

Favorite Playstation Console?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Playstation Console?

• Playstation
    • Playstation 2
    • Playstation 3
    • Playstation 4

PS2 is my favourite console of all time and I actually still have my original fat version that still works perfectly (I had to replace the AV cable but that’s it). It was the PS2 that got me into gaming seriously and it was my first proper console. Two of my all time favourite games are from that generation (Jak and Daxter and the Precursor Legacy & San Andreas). My experiences with the PS2 are definitely what I can attribute to being an avid gamer today so I have a lot of love for that console ?

• Like 1

https://www.gamesradar.com/playstation-documentary-coming-this-september-with-devs-from-god-of-war-metal-gear-crash-and-more/

I am super hyped for this documentary. Looks good and talk about perfect timing by Sony with the PS5 only a few months away. This is going to be the ultimate nostalgia trip for sure! 

I'm also surprised the PS1 is not getting more love within the community. Currently it only has 2 votes which is weird considering all the classic games released on that console 

• Like 1

This is a tough one. I had to go with the original PlayStation. That thing was the bee's knee's when it first came out. I remember playing FF7 on that thing and thinking that it can't get any better than this. Not to mention, that console could take one hell of a beating. I remember a time that it fell off the top of my entertainment stand and hit the ground. The console was fine. The disc inside was scratched. My second choice would be the PS4. I just think that there are so many more options for games on the PS4. Most of the best games can be found on the console. 

• Like 2

It used to be the PS2 due it its amazing library, but as much as it pains me to say it, I think it is now the PS4.

Not only were most of the PS2's greatest gems remastered for the PS4, we've also got brand new gems to marvel at. It's also a very practical console, being able to go into sleep mode (no more dependence on save points!) and to stream to most devices being sold today, meaning, you can actually play it even if you're not home (assuming you have a good internet connection... but it's still more than what the PS2 did).

I think the only way the PS2 beats the PS4 is in its controller. I'm a real sucker for good rumble and it's just impossible to beat the Dualshock 2 in that regard. That said, the Dualshock 4 is wireless, so it evens out.

PlayStation 2 definitely.

This generation has been a joke compared to what the PS2 era gave us. Epic games, fantastic exclusives for all three consoles (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube), great variety and perhaps best of all, original titles that paved the way for future games.

The PS4/Xbox One generation has mostly copied from the PS3/360 generation, with a number of touch ups including 1080p resolution and eventually 4K. Now you have only a few genres that are hitting it big. Stuff like survival horror, real time strategy, mech games (anyone played Armored Core?) are either dead in the water or have become very niche.

Every other open world game these days I feel like I've done a thousand times over with past games and it has become incredibly boring and tiring. Ghosts of Tsushima I will definitely get at some point because it looks great and the Japanese samurai theme was always fascinating.... but it's yet another open world game. Everything is focused on graphics and realism. Just look at the new Spider-Man game with Miles. It just looks like a bunch of bling bling and Michael Bay type graphics.

Game development pretty much became "let's look at the most popular things right now and shove that into our game, regardless of genre". Horror games pretty much turned into shooters because a wider audience and demographic is drawn to that.

On top of it all day one DLC is common. You 're basically buying an unfinished product (in most cases) at full price and then have to pay extra for the rest. It's insane. And people are fine with that... You can bet your money that Assassin's Creed Valhalla will have a fuck load of DLC with an Ultimate Edition priced at $119.99.

It's not just the actual games themselves, it's the entire gaming "infrastructure". It's pretty normal to have to pay to play online, under pretence that it makes for a better online experience, such as better servers. Everything is moving towards milking as much as possible, without giving anything substantial in return.

Ain't nothing like some of those truly mind blowing and awesome games from back in the day like Diablo, Diablo 2, Command and Conquer: Red Alert, Rainbow Six and Deus Ex. Blizzard Entertainment is a complete joke now compared to what it used to be. We were supposed to get a proper remaster/remake of Warcraft 3, but they went and fucked it up. Thankfully the nice people who were once Westwood Studios developers have given us a remaster of Command and Conquer/Command and Conquer: Red Alert on Steam.

I don't know, but I just hate the state of gaming as it is today. Shameless remasters and remakes, microtransactions and lootboxes, you guys all know this.

• Like 1

I have to vote for the PS2.

In the time that I had the system I would have purchased many games good and bad that I enjoyed thoroughly! 

The PS2 shaped the type of genre that I eventually ended up stayed with but in all honestly, I would played anything on that system. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely ps4. I have never played this many games on one console and still counting as i have plenty more. 

But with so many 2d games out there and shmup games for PS4. Which i love since its what i grew up with. Just games like Ikaruga, Dariusburst, Cuphead, Furi and many others. Not to mention. FF7 original and Remake. 

Its without a doubt my favorite console of all time 

• Like 2

I had some awesome gaming with the PS1 from what I can remember. 

The PS2 had the greatest games I had ever played up to that point and a few still hold strong to this day. The gaming exploration by devs was incredible and no matter how niche your favourite things might be, you can bet there could be a PS2 game for it. I loved horse racing and the PS2 was blessed with amazing horse racing titles. 

The PS3 stuff bored the shit out of me. I was on the 360 straight from the PS2 days and didn't get a PS3 until around 2011, by which point every multiplatform game seemed to work better on 360, and i didn't rate the PS3 exclusives at the time.

PS4 has given me some awesome gaming moments, but at the same time been a real struggled to buy games I like. 

So in order from best to worst I would go for...

PS2

PS4

PS1

PS3

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I had some awesome gaming with the PS1 from what I can remember. 

The PS2 had the greatest games I had ever played up to that point and a few still hold strong to this day. The gaming exploration by devs was incredible and no matter how niche your favourite things might be, you can bet there could be a PS2 game for it. I loved horse racing and the PS2 was blessed with amazing horse racing titles. 

The PS3 stuff bored the shit out of me. I was on the 360 straight from the PS2 days and didn't get a PS3 until around 2011, by which point every multiplatform game seemed to work better on 360, and i didn't rate the PS3 exclusives at the time.

PS4 has given me some awesome gaming moments, but at the same time been a real struggled to buy games I like. 

So in order from best to worst I would go for...

PS2

PS4

PS1

PS3

You make some pretty good points. That would probably be my ranking as well

• 3 weeks later...

PS2 the sequel, hands down.

I was shocked on how big of an improvement it was from the PS1. Also the DVD drive with the remote accessory. 

And so many games..

Majority of the time I was obsessively playing mostly Socom 2 multiplayer with my friends and Battlefield 2: Modern Combat multiplayer by myself just sniping the entire time lol. 

• Like 1

PS3. More specifically, the original model with backward compatibility which gives you the PS2 and PS1 libraries.

Namco shined on PS3 with Ridge Racer 7, Tekken 6, Time Crisis 4, TC Razing Storm, and Deadstorm Pirates (which is included with TCRS... good deal!). Now on PS4, Time Crisis and Ridge Racer didn't get any love. TC5 is arcade exclusive even now, and I am fairly sure... no, make that freaking positive that the Ridge Racer series got killed, probably due to the ice cold reception of PS Vita Ridge Racer.

Crysis 2 and 3 on PS3 are decent ports. Some scaling down had to be done to fit them into PS3's hardware, and you lose the 60 FPS frame rate of the PC versions, but even so, the end result is very good. There are occasional frame drops but I don't notice tearing. I haven't tried the port of the first one, but it's a bit late for that now with the PS4 remastered version coming right up.

Microtransactions in the PS3 generation are not near as bad as today. This generation, I'd say they have gotten egregious. Then again I never cared for Madden, FIFA, etc. EA, give me Crysis 2/3 (PS3) and Battlefield 4 (PS4) and keep your damn microtransaction besmirched sports games. Also, PS4 loses a point for no backward compatibility.

• Like 2

Gotta be PS2 for me. My top 10 favorite games of all time go like this:

1.PS2

2.PS2

3.PS2

4.PS2

5.PS4

6.PS3

7.PS3

8.PS1

9.PS4

10.PS2

Not going to reveal which games for each though lol. Also, the reason I consider my favorite console to go along side my favorite games is because I've never cared about what a console can do, other than what games it can play. I don't how powerful a console is, fps it can do, etc..... it all means nothing if it can't play my favorite games.

• Like 2

PlayStation 3. I have so many good memories of some of the best exclusives that ever came out for that generation of games on the PS3.

LittleBigPlanet was one of the titles that got me hooked to my PS3 for so long, always had people over my house to play 4 player co-op.

Resistance 2 multiplayer and co-op was so much fun.

Killzone 2 was so intense and unlike anything I have ever played or seen.

inFAMOUS scratched that superhero itch very, very well.

God of War 3. Those boss fights were just next level stuff.

Heavy Rain was interesting and weird, never played anything remotely close to its style at all.

The Last of Us was just so moving with how it handled character interaction, I loved every second of it.

and of course, my #1 favorite game of all time came out that gen, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Nothing to this day has beat that title for my #1 spot.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...