Fearless0610

Favorite Playstation Console?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Playstation Console?

• Playstation
    • Playstation 2
    • Playstation 3
    • Playstation 4

Likely will be Playstation 1, silky smooth 60fps Tekken 1, 2 and 3, Wipeout2097, Parappa The Rapper, all the Beatmania, Guitar Freaks games from Japan, and of course my favourite game of all time FFVII and many other RPGs by Square, like Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Cross.

Also where I discovered Resident Evil and SIlent Hill. I also really loved Parappa The Rapper, Um Jammer Lammy, Bust A Groove and especially Super Pang Collection. Wrestlemania (1995) arcade conversion, me and my friend played Pang Collection and then Wrestlemania first everytime he came round to my house for years before playing anything ele.

I experienced so many new genres in the Playstation 1 era too.

Of course I love Playstation 2, 3 and 4 too but by the time I got Playstation 2, I was an adult and had a lot less time to play games. So maybe I am a bit biased. The fact not many RPG seem to come out on PS2 is maybe what makes me favour PS1

Edited by enaysoft

I don't feel like the PS2 really had much for me.  I loved GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas... then Final Fantasy X... looking at some general "best PS2 games" lists though and they're fine games but mostly nothing I really played or cared to.  PS3 had some stellar games too like the Uncharted series, TLOU, Portal 2, GTA IV and V, Heavy Rain... but not much that has genuinely left a lasting impression on me.  I look over at my shelf and I have a single row of PS3 games that encompasses what I believe to be the "must haves" of the generation and I could probably cut it in half if I got rid of the "obligatory" must haves versus my personal preference.  PS2 would probably have even less.

I'd say PS1 is 1st place for me, with PS4 a close second.

PS1 because it was the humble beginnings of some of my favorite series (Resident Evil, Tekken, Tony Hawk Pro Skater), as well as some of the best entries in those series (Resident Evil 2, Tekken 3, THPS2)... plus some of my all time favorite games period like Final Fantasy VII & VII.

PS4 maybe only because it has games like Hollow Knight and Celeste... which are indie, cheaper and obviously don't take advantage of the hardware necessarily, but are a few of a small amount of games over the years that have managed to eek their way into my all time favorite list and don't exist on the other Playstation systems.  And it had P.T... as silly and small as it is for me to include it, that 2-3 hour teaser single handedly revived horror games for me and totally deserves its place in history.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 8 months later...

BIG BUMP

I have very fond memories of the PS1. Tekken 3, Twisted Metal 1 & 2, Resident Evil Directors Cut, Gran Turismo, etc. The nostalgia is through the roof. Having said that, I have to go with the PS3. Dead Space trilogy, Uncharted trilogy, Resistance trilogy, Bioshock series, FEAR series, Killzone series, Far Cry series. Gems like Enslaved, Vanquish, Binary Domain, Mirror's Edge, Singularity, Lollipop Chainsaw, Shadows of the Damned, The Saboteur, Spec Ops: The Line. It's all about the games, and after having not gamed for close to a decade, I was blown away. My favorite console of all time.

• Like 3

As a big fan of the indie scene, the only real answer can possible be :The PS4

Big tent-pole games are all well and good, there have been great ones on every generation, but it was only towards the second half of the PS3 generation that the indies began to compete with the bigger games - but they really came into their element, and completely outpaced 'Triple A' development in terms of quality on the PS4.

Prior to the PS4, I could always expect the bigger games to generally be the 'best'.

On PS4, and going forward, now, I can't discount any kind of game - the best ones could be anything from a massive 'Triple A' title, to a 10 quid never-heard-of-this-game indie - and it's more often the indie one!

That makes it the most exciting Sony console of the lot, in my eyes - hopefully the PS5 will keep up that trend!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Playstation 1 was amazing for its time. 

Playstation 2 blew the gaming world right open for me. The likes of GTAIII, Devil May Cry, God of War.. it was incredible. 

Playstation 3 for me was a bit of a miss hit because I had the 360 for so long that I never really got anything from the PS3. 

Playstation 4 was a slow start for me, but the last couple of years have been some of the best gaming experiences I have had or will likely have ever again. For me personally I doubt it will be topped. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

I’ve enjoyed each generation of gaming more than the previous.

PS4 >> PS3

It is very hard to go back and play PS3 games at this point, between the shallow gameplay, clunky controls, and dated graphics.  Even more so with PS2.  

I tried to play an old Star Wars game (Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast), such a chore.  It was critically acclaimed at the time of release too, an 89 on Metacritic, lol, how.

Looking forward to PS5 for sure.

Clearly the PS2

Remember the old times, where you could PLAY a game? Nowadays you buy the game, install it, download a huge ass update and then you can play it (at least a while before it crashes for no reason)

Edit: The PS1 was also cool but you could play these discs on the PS2 as well... UNLIKE SOME OTHER CONSOLES ON THIS LIST

Edited by Isle-of-Miku

As an experience, PS2 (which is what I voted for). It was my first ever console, and it took up most of my childhood past the age of 9. Extremely fond memories of so many games, including series that I'm still a fan of today. I can't say my time in front of a television was always well-spent, but all those gaming moments on PS2 obviously had a huge influence on me. It was my childhood.

As an actual console, I'd probably say PS4. I've had mine for about 6 years now, and it's proven to be extremely reliable. In terms of speed and multitasking, the system software makes it difficult to even imagine going back to PS3, and the only multimedia feature PS3 had which PS4 doesn't is the ability to copy music onto the hard drive - something I've since stopped doing even on PC and mobile, due to streaming.

And as for library, it'd be PS1. Tomb Raider, Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy VII, Wipeout, Ridge Racer... so many utterly amazing games, and so many series that started on PS1. I don't think there's ever been an era where so many games felt so different from one another. Compared to today's trend of Unreal Engine and photorealistic graphics, the mechanical and artistic variety is sorely missed. 

Big love to PS3 too, though.

• 3 weeks later...

1. PS2

2. PS1

3. PS3

4. PS4

All of the consoles are good and serve a different purpose, but the PS2 seemed to have the majority of quality titles that really influenced even how modern game worlds are constructed.

Survival Horror and jRpgs were my shit on the PS1. In hindsight, I was a little young at the time and didn’t get to truly enjoy those games though until I was a teenager. The platform games were perfect for me back then though.

PS3 had a lot of games I enjoyed as well but the PS4 has mostly been multiplayer games and I’ve always been more of a story/gameplay gamer. This isn’t to say that I don’t appreciate the awesome single player experiences that have been released on the PS4, I just don’t personally enjoy them as much as the ones from past gens.

I don’t see the PS5 making the top of my list in the future either with how loosely the word “service” is being thrown around. Battle Passes have never appealed to me either and I could honestly care less about cosmetics in an online game. Take my $60, give me an original and creative game and then leave me the hell alone.

I'm going to probably say the original Playstation.  It was the only console I ever bought day 1.  It had so many awesome games.  Final fantasy 7 started here folks, and that was my 7th FF by that point having played since the original.  Those 4 discs that was so ridiculous.

The PS2 was incredible as well and the graphics really made a jump yet I can't say a specific title that had me more hooked than things like The Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Vagrant Story.  This was the golden age of the RPGs, then the PS2 was switching to more open world and then the PS3 went full force with 1st person shooters.

I'm sure the other systems are fantastic as well yet even having played the PS3 and enjoying many of the games it just has not been thr same since back in the day.