arcanehornet_

We should appreciate Trophy Guide writers more

32 posts in this topic

Definitely, I have always used trophy guides and they are so helpful! However, I do not like guides that post videos, I prefer a proper walkthrough, boss strategies and collectable guides. The Final Fantasy trophy guides were great, as were the Tales ones. 

Posted (edited)

On 7/31/2020 at 11:52 AM, Hanamaru Kunikida said:

Personally, I found my own way to show the guide writers my appreciation for their hard work: If they post amazing guides but aren't premium members for some reason, I simply gift them a lifetime premium membership. And when they notice and post about it on their profile, I know I did a good thing. I never reply to these status updates, but in my mind I always say "You're welcome, but I am the one who should be thankful".

Having a guide writer background myself, I also know how good it feels to see someone simply say "Thanks for the guide, it really helped me out" or something along these lines. Even if you can't gift anything, a few words of appreciation can go a really long way. Especially when you went above and beyond to write the, in your opinion, perfect guide or walkthrough for one of your favourite games. The Yakuza Ishin guide is a perfect example for that, putting the entire thing together must have taken months. The same person also wrote guides for the PS3 remasters of Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2, which are similiar extensive (and obviously very good).

And yes, I was the one who paid for their premium membership. It was a no-brainer after having read through the Ishin guide. With that being said, there's one more thing left to do: Thank you for your guides @soliunasm, I really look forward to using them in the future.

I was wondering why I all of a sudden got a golden name. Thank you very very much, I greatly appreciate the generosity I just didn't know who to thank.

If you want some background for my various guides the Ishin guide was something I was doing as I was playing the game myself and took about two or so weeks to fully write out in between doing the things I was writing about. I also spent my entire first playthrough meticulously watching the bosses. I was immensely grateful that KHHSubs had such good guides himself and without him and Salty Yen I don't think I could have finished the game with the enjoyment that I did, but he basically just gave you the general gist of things and told you to go do stuff. I was finding it hard to find any English information outside of his guide and was basically just running around like a headless chicken at times. This was an issue for some minigames or how to actually get to the weapons you needed and I had to constantly switch over to Japanese guides to get the proper information I was looking for. His weapon, armor, and materials section was also more confusing than it should have been which led to me making all those diagrams for the weapons themselves to make them visually more understandable. Some of the stuff I included were also methods I figured out myself, the Dharma farming method for example was something I had to figure out for myself and I had to share that to save people time, same deal with things like the best way to do minigames since nothing I saw was really that helpful most of the time.

Yakuza 1 and 2 were because I saw no complete guides at all for the PS3 trophies specifically and I wanted to save people time who were going to attempt doing the playthroughs. There was an incomplete trophy guide but it only helped to get a basis, and no one explained the missables or anything else you had to look out for. They were my first playthroughs of the games as well outside of a couple hours of the PS2 version of 1 a couple years back which prompted me to actually buy the compilation in the first place (Which is why I knew of the missable issue). It's also why those two guides are such a mess of formatting and information in my opinion. There were obviously guides and video walkthroughs to do said things, GoggleBoxFairy (@AD_1983) and his videos were nothing short of a godsend for me to actually make them possible as were The_Patrick's and HeeroXXXG-01W 's guides on GameFAQs. So many things are missable, you have to be really careful, and there's lots of little things you have to know about to do things reliably and optimally so I wanted to make it crystal clear how to follow things. It also works if you're just going for a 100% run normally, I find myself turning back to my own guides while replaying 1 just so I don't miss stuff.

Fist of the North Star was also something I did as I played but I already was prepared for the grind and stuff I had to highlight and explain since I was looking at the Japanese guides when Hokuto ga Gotoku released months prior. There's so much with the minigames and Destiny Talismans in that game that had to be explained, the minigames are somewhat difficult, the amount of items you have to gather and the most efficient ways to do so were never explained by anyone so I had to wing all that, etc. The materials were especially a pain since Japanese guides were incredibly vague on how you find pretty much any of them in any reasonable quantities.

Kamen Rider: Climax Fighters was just because I felt like doing a simpler one and the game itself wasn't that involved. Don't buy that game or Climax Scramble, they're awful. Buy the Battride Wars instead. I wish I had it in me to do guides for the Battride War games as I was playing them but Yakuza 1 was really what pushed me to start doing them and I forgot a lot of what went into those games or the tricks I did for some trophies so I held out on doing them.

I'm looking at maybe doing Yakuza 7 though I haven't decided yet since it's probably going to take weeks or more to beat it let alone explain a lot of stuff and then there's the New Game Plus DLC that has to come out a couple months after release that would need to be done as well. I think I might just stick to Japanese or Asian games when it comes to guides though since finding English guides for those is typically the equivalent of pulling teeth or they're barebones and the more people that can get help the better. Super Hero Generation is another one I've been thinking of doing but that's so text-heavy and it's an SRPG to boot so you need to know stats so I'm mulling it over.

Personally I am simply happy that people are getting help from the guides, they do take a lot of time but if even one person is helped by it then it's done its job and I'm satisfied.

Edited by soliunasm

Yeah i think there should be more of a reward for writing guides. As of now, I've made 8 guides because i enjoy making them, and i am currently working on 2 more, but there's not much of a reward for it. People used to get given free premium memberships for life for making guides, but then they stopped giving that out. That's about the only reward that they can give out. They could give you a three month membership per guide or something, but i can't really think of any other rewards.

Appreciation wise, i feel like a lot of people do appreciate the guides by giving them favorites and ratings. But just because a guide has loads of favorites, doesn't mean it's the best. Because any AAA game that gets a guide will normally get around 100 favorites, even if its not that good. And any Plus game will also get lots of favorites, for example my Foul Play guide, which i would say is one of my worst guides, is by far my most favorited. 

@soliunasm

You're welcome. And thanks for the insight in your guide writing process, appreciate it. Looking forward to any future guide you may write. 👍

I like guide writers, props to them.

But also props to the people who upload walk through videos with actually decent, occasionally funny, non-annoying commentary, and who play the game in a way that it’s easy to follow and clear the gamer actually knows what they’re doing. 

Writing guides should earn you a double platinum, just putting it out there

A guide that's helping hundreds and hundreds of players for years to come? They don't get nearly as enough credit epscially when they take time out of their day to make it happen without any form of payment in return, true MVPs in the gaming world.