Fall/Winter 2020-2021 Backlog Challenge

Unfortunatelly, job got the best of me these last days and i did not get any progress. Just chipping away at missions in Borderlands Pre Sequel and that's it. So the thing goes like this:

1.- Borderlands: 74%

2.- Borderlands: The Presequel: 7%

3.- Borderlands 2: 0% (Will commence when i finish the main story of Pre Sequel).

4.- Rage: 1%

5.- Tomb Raider: 0%

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Update time from me -

Assassin's Creed Valhalla is finally done

150 hours....so.....many.....hours. I ended up clocking in at just under the entire runtime of AC Odyssey + all DLC. It's massive. The only other game I can think of that exceeded that runtime was Wolfenstein 2 and all the hours of practice i put in to get Mein Leben.

I still don't really know how to feel about this entry into the franchise. I've written lot's of thoughts in my previous posts. But to boil it down to basics - The Viking setting, story and gameplay has been great and ancient Britain has been really beautiful to explore. The present day story has jumped the shark a bit though. They are going to have to go extra hard in the DLC to fill in the plot holes and gaps it's left. It's a shame because the concept is awesome, it's just being fumbled in it's handling. It's a massive massive time commitment though.

I have lot's of specific feelings on why I think the present day story is now a bit of a mess after this game. But I'll have to save that for a spoiler thread somewhere :) It just really feels like they have no cohesive story vision for the present day stuff and each game gets handed to a different bunch of storytellers with no regulation. It's what the Marvel cinematic universe would look like if they didn't have overseers like the Russo Brothers and Kevin Feige. 

If you intend on platinuming this, get prepared and ready for some hardcore gametime. I would actually recommend not doing this in one consistent period of days / weeks - have another game or two on the side you can work on and jump into when you get gametime fatigue in Valhalla.

150 hours i pretty insane, I hate it that the new cool is making games bigger and bigger, I just love a 10 hour roller coast ride too. Why is almost every development studio thinking that big is always beautiful? Let alone DLC and new game + modes.....I bought it but I am still doubting to start it as it so massive...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gladiatorrrrrrr said:

150 hours i pretty insane, I hate it that the new cool is making games bigger and bigger, I just love a 10 hour roller coast ride too. Why is almost every development studio thinking that big is always beautiful? Let alone DLC and new game + modes.....I bought it but I am still doubting to start it as it so massive...

Yeah things seem to be getting bigger and bigger now, Ubisoft definitely seem to be going in that direction. No data to back this up - but I definitely feel like gamers are starting to get a bit exhausted by giant multi-hundred hour game environments - I would love to see hard data on how many PS owners bought the game and what percentage of those actually finished games with this run-time. I don't think it would be very high nowadays. Maybe all this is just a sign of me getting old though ?

I think that's why I love the Yakuza franchise so much, the world is actually incredibly small compared to something like an AC game. But they pack the living hell out of that environment with content and fun diversions.

2 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Yeah things seem to be getting bigger and bigger now, Ubisoft definitely seem to be going in that direction. No data to back this up - but I definitely feel like gamers are starting to get a bit exhausted by giant multi-hundred hour game environments - I would love to see hard data on how many PS owners bought the game and what percentage of those actually finished games with this run-time. I don't think it would be very high nowadays. Maybe all this is just a sign of me getting old though ?

I think that's why I love the Yakuza franchise so much, the world is actually incredibly small compared to something like an AC game. But they pack the living hell out of that environment with content and fun diversions.

never tried Yakuza ...probably shame on me ?. But first I need to get rid of a part of my backlog....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Yeah things seem to be getting bigger and bigger now, Ubisoft definitely seem to be going in that direction. No data to back this up - but I definitely feel like gamers are starting to get a bit exhausted by giant multi-hundred hour game environments - I would love to see hard data on how many PS owners bought the game and what percentage of those actually finished games with this run-time. I don't think it would be very high nowadays. Maybe all this is just a sign of me getting old though 1f602.png

I'd disagree that overall gamers feel this way because one very common complaint you'll see about some games is that they are too short.  I don't think it is so much that gamers want long games, but it's more that gamers expect that they'll get about an hour of entertainment for every dollar spent on a game.  Anything lower than that and people deem the game too short or not worth the money even if the game is otherwise good.  For your average retail release, players expect top notch graphics and enough gameplay time or replay value for them to feel their money was well spent.  If they feel their money wasn't well spent, they aren't going to be inclined to buy DLC or a sequel and they will be more inclined to leave bad reviews and tell friends to avoid the game or wait for it to get a deep discount.  Shorter games are only really accepted if the price tag is lower.  Personally, I agree with you that I'm getting sick of all these long games and I find it a shame that Ubisoft seems to have stopped bothering with shorter unique games for lower price tags like Child of Light and Valiant Hearts: The Great War.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ladynadiad said:

I'd disagree that overall gamers feel this way because one very common complaint you'll see about some games is that they are too short.  I don't think it is so much that gamers want long games, but it's more that gamers expect that they'll get about an hour of entertainment for every dollar spent on a game.  Anything lower than that and people deem the game too short or not worth the money even if the game is otherwise good.  For your average retail release, players expect top notch graphics and enough gameplay time or replay value for them to feel their money was well spent.  If they feel their money wasn't well spent, they aren't going to be inclined to buy DLC or a sequel and they will be more inclined to leave bad reviews and tell friends to avoid the game or wait for it to get a deep discount.  Shorter games are only really accepted if the price tag is lower.  Personally, I agree with you that I'm getting sick of all these long games and I find it a shame that Ubisoft seems to have stopped bothering with shorter unique games for lower price tags like Child of Light and Valiant Hearts: The Great War.

Yeah definitely all good points there and there are of different preferences with lot's of different factors that influence it. Totally agree that price and value for money are a big factor in it all, 70 - 90 euros on a 10 hour game would be scandalous nowadays. It really feels like pricing is all over the place at the moment in general too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Yeah definitely all good points there and there are of different preferences with lot's of different factors that influence it. Totally agree that price and value for money are a big factor in it all, 70 - 90 euros on a 10 hour game would be scandalous nowadays. It really feels like pricing is all over the place at the moment in general too.

that is also a good way to look at it (also @ladynadiadprevious post). I am purely selfish (I can afford it)  if I say I would pay 70 euro for a roller coaster ride of 10-12 hours instead of buying  a game that drags on for 25+ hours. Great shoot outs on smaller games like Child of Light...loved that on the VITA. I am also not into replaying games but that is me.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2020 at 5:53 AM, Crispy_Oglop said:

Update time from me -

Assassin's Creed Valhalla is finally done

150 hours....so.....many.....hours. I ended up clocking in at just under the entire runtime of AC Odyssey + all DLC. It's massive. The only other game I can think of that exceeded that runtime was Wolfenstein 2 and all the hours of practice i put in to get Mein Leben.

*Side eyes the large amount of games I've played over 150 hours * 

I guess it depends on the type of game you're playing but for me 150 is a good, solid game haha!

• Like 2