Monster Hunt 2020 - Concluded

Yeah, sorry, should have mentioned that. About half of the games were mentioned in our team thread. Once the winner was announced, we didn't really keep up with the thread so anything in October I looked up. Like I said, it's not a huge deal, I just wanted to have a nice, finished Bounty List to throw on the events section of my Trophy Checklist. It really isn't the end of the world if we don't get it. Let me know what questions you had. I think our card only had like 5 checked off when I started looking into it so I wasn't sure what was already claimed. Thanks for all your due diligence with the event!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Briste said:

Yeah, sorry, should have mentioned that. About half of the games were mentioned in our team thread. Once the winner was announced, we didn't really keep up with the thread so anything in October I looked up. Like I said, it's not a huge deal, I just wanted to have a nice, finished Bounty List to throw on the events section of my Trophy Checklist. It really isn't the end of the world if we don't get it. Let me know what questions you had. I think our card only had like 5 checked off when I started looking into it so I wasn't sure what was already claimed. Thanks for all your due diligence with the event!

No problem. Also, I need to apologize for a delay. I fell asleep right after work yesterday and then didn't remember it when I woke up. Right now, I'm super tired again, I'm about to lay down for a much earlier nap and will set a reminder t analyze your list fully today.

I have a few bounties. They can be kind of subjective.

Mass Effect: Andromeda -  Evil Humans -  Magic User: Any and all Biotic enemies.

I mean being honest biotics is basically space magic (including powers like telekinesis, magical barriers, magical missiles, etc), potencial for these powers are brought about from exposure to 'element zero' which releases 'dark energy'. 

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime - Beasts - Aquatic: Cetus

Big sea serpent type monster, I understand if this one doesn't really counts as I played the first level starting August, but before I even saw the event.

Here They Lie - Incorporeal - Specter: Almost everything the game (but you only fight/defeat one)

This would be the EZ game and where my logic is more flimsy, since the game is basically a dreamscape/hellscape "vision" and despite the enemies feeling very corporeal I think like everything was just an allegory of human existence and it's merit or lack thereof continuing to exist with most dangers you face being representations of our worst qualities turn up to eleven. Even though you spend most of the game hiding and running away from the "enemies" you are obligated by the story to kill at least one, and there a few other optional kills along the way. I would consider this game enemies to be so sort of "maniaes" or a manias (spirits of insanity/frenzy)

I mean it doesn't really matter at this point but these were the few games I did finish as I got a bit disheartened and tangled up in real life things, i was sort of expecting to be alone but I dumbly hoped that the whole tracking chart would have remain empty without random games filled in even though that was right there on the rules, still... even if it meant trying and obviously failing to fill everything, I just didn't have or want to play anything that was left... so an empty tracker might have inspired me to finish more of my games (not that is anyway the event's fault or that I would have actually finished more stuff). Despite my gloomy disposition I did enjoy the event and the whole concept behind it, and totally appreciate the effort put into running it along with all the pretty artwork that was made for it. Sorry if my rambling got too long.

Edited by dark_moon689
Clarity
  • Like 2

I might have a bounty for Specter kind of monster from Atelier Ryza. Most of the Knight type monsters are living armor(heck the first knight is called Living Armor then the 2nd is called Ghost Armor), the one Knight type monster that sounds most like a ghost is the Large Knight type monster Noble Paladin as the description in-game on it made it sound like the lingering will of the Paladin that wore it in the past before he disappeared(might have actually died fighting those "bugs" from the underworld since I found Noble Paladin at places those "bugs" have been).

I don't mind it don't count as a bounty since I don't know if Living Armor is a Specter kind of monster or just a Object-like/Human-like monster.

Now to at least try and get the Goblin bounty before the event is over.

Edited by Leon Castle
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Briste said:

Ok I had the chance to look it over. I didn't see the conflict that I thought I did the other day. I think I was thrown off by the two different stacks of Cosmic Star Heroine. After checking things out more closely, the only one I have an issue with is Cuphead for @Kent10201 the majority of it was done in the last couple of days in August. He had signed up for the event with enough notice to know not to start early. From what I can tell, only two hours of Cuphead were done during the event, so I want to reject it for being staged. Meso has MHW with some in August and Sardavanua has a lot of Nioh in August, but I recognize those games are time-consuming, so I don't feel bad about letting them slide because a significant amount of effort had to be made during the event dates. So you guys are now in second place with aquatic and human-like creation remaining to be completed. 

I apologize for the delay again. I wanted to get around to this yesterday and it just didn't work out because I fell asleep early in the evening. 

2 hours ago, dark_moon689 said:

I mean it doesn't really matter at this point but these were the few games I did finish as I got a bit disheartened and tangled up in real life things, i was sort of expecting to be alone but I dumbly hoped that the whole tracking chart would have remain empty without random games filled in even though that was right there on the rules, still... even if it meant trying and obviously failing to fill everything, I just didn't have or want to play anything that was left... so an empty tracker might have inspired me to finish more of my games (not that is anyway the event's fault or that I would have actually finished more stuff). Despite my gloomy disposition I did enjoy the event and the whole concept behind it, and totally appreciate the effort put into running it along with all the pretty artwork that was made for it. Sorry if my rambling got too long.

I understand the frustration. I did give a window of time where you could have let me know about your conflicts and I would have moved things around from the random sampling. I was trying to simulate that you team members that were also handing in bounties. If you had plans, you would have been able to talk to them about what bounties you wanted etc. I'm not sure if you missed that but it could have been worked around at the time when they were randomly drawn. As far as your other games go, they look okay to me. There is a bit of stuff on Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime in August but I haven't been super strict on that, with one exception which is in the comment above because it looks like they just did a couple of hours of their game during this event window. 

Edited by Spacey Dweeb

1 hour ago, Leon Castle said:

I might have a bounty for Specter kind of monster from Atelier Ryza. Most of the Knight type monsters are living armor(heck the first knight is called Living Armor then the 2nd is called Ghost Armor), the one Knight type monster that sounds most like a ghost is the Large Knight type monster Noble Paladin as the description in-game on it made it sound like the lingering will of the Paladin that wore it in the past before he disappeared(might have actually died fighting those "bugs" from the underworld since I found Noble Paladin at places those "bugs" have been).

I don't mind it don't count as a bounty since I don't know if Living Armor is a Specter kind of monster or just a Object-like/Human-like monster.

Now to at least try and get the Goblin bounty before the event is over.

I think ghost armor works for the category. Like I said in the rules, there's going to be some monsters that kind of are a blend of categories. So as long as it reasonably fits you should be good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spacey Dweeb said:

Ok I had the chance to look it over. I didn't see the conflict that I thought I did the other day. I think I was thrown off by the two different stacks of Cosmic Star Heroine. After checking things out more closely, the only one I have an issue with is Cuphead for @Kent10201 the majority of it was done in the last couple of days in August. He had signed up for the event with enough notice to know not to start early. From what I can tell, only two hours of Cuphead were done during the event, so I want to reject it for being staged. Meso has MHW with some in August and Sardavanua has a lot of Nioh in August, but I recognize those games are time-consuming, so I don't feel bad about letting them slide because a significant amount of effort had to be made during the event dates. So you guys are now in second place with aquatic and human-like creation remaining to be completed. 

I apologize for the delay again. I wanted to get around to this yesterday and it just didn't work out because I fell asleep early in the evening. 

Alright guys. Only 3 days left for 2 bounties. 

Unfortunately I have very busy evenings this week with a free Friday and saturday, so I can try to finish evoland. But I still need to put a lot of effort into it. 

That should count for both aquatic and human-like. Just need somebody that can do the same for the other one. 

@Briste

@Kent10201

@Sardavanua

@Mesopithecus

Edited by Bumperklever
  • Like 2

First of: I'm glad our games were accepted (with only a few minor changes).

@Spacey Dweeb You're absolutely right, I spent quite some time in Nioh on August, that's because I thought I can do it in August, but oh boy was I wrong lol. I didn't start playing the last DLC till the beginnig of September and I still had NG+ and NG++ left, that's were the majority of time went into anyways. If anyone wants to dispute that feel free to.

@Bumperklever Good luck with that bounty. I just went trough my backlog and I couldn't find a game for those bounties that I could finish in three days. So maybe one of the other Ghostbusters can help out here?

Also congrats to Mystery Incorporated!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Spacey Dweeb said:

I understand the frustration. I did give a window of time where you could have let me know about your conflicts and I would have moved things around from the random sampling. I was trying to simulate that you team members that were also handing in bounties. If you had plans, you would have been able to talk to them about what bounties you wanted etc. I'm not sure if you missed that but it could have been worked around at the time when they were randomly drawn. 

I did see it, but a little late and felt silly requesting changes when I had not even started the games for those bounties. Is really on me for not speaking up at the time and convincing myself it wouldn't bother me later *shrugs*. I am alright with the progress I did make :)

Thank you! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spacey Dweeb said:

How is doing an entire playthrough on hard, going through all of the run and gun levels without killing an enemy and doing all of the harder miscellaneous tasks on the first day of the event not “a significant amount of effort?” If a game only takes 10 hours and I do over 5 when the event starts it should count, especially when people are allowed to lock in DLCs that take 20 minutes. Not sure where you’re getting 2 hours from. 

Edited by Kent10201
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kent10201 said:

How is doing an entire playthrough on hard, going through all of the run and gun levels without killing an enemy and doing all of the harder miscellaneous tasks on the first day of the event not “a significant amount of effort?” If a game only takes 10 hours and I do over 5 when the event starts it should count, especially when people are allowed to lock in DLCs that take 20 minutes. Not sure where you’re getting 2 hours from. 

Ok so I looked at it again and I did miss one trophy from Sept 1st that you popped around 5:43 PM. I was originally counting from your trophy around 7:00 PM and you finished the platinum around 9:00 PM. So that's why I was saying about two hours. I was wrong there because you are closer to 4.5 hours between trophy timestamps. And I'll take what you said literally and say, you spent over 5 hours, so I'll give you credit in my brain as if you did 6. 

This issue is honestly why my event had such a long write up of the rules. The logical and literal side of me wants to be very black and white and just ban any game with any timestamp from August, but in real life I'm not that big of a dick. I want people to have fun and realize that rejecting their games is frustrating and ruins their fun. But allowing blatant disregard for rules will feel unfair for everyone else who planned things out and waited until the event actually started and ruin their fun. It's written out very clearly that you should not have worked on games in August. I also discussed in the rules, if you had simple DLCs or just a couple trophies left to knock off because you worked on the game pre-August, it was allowed. You were just "lucky" due to circumstances. Like a hunter who goes hunting only to have your prey walk out right front of you, it happens. So your comment of people being "allowed" to finish 20 minute DLCs and count games is pretty irrelevant to me. I already thought about it and decided it was OK and made a provision for it in the printed rules. I didn't want people to have to buy games or have start from fresh for everything. I felt that would be asking too much and for a lot of people events are a way of getting motivation to clear old games from their backlog.

I haven't checked the fine details of every hunter's bounties. But since Briste essentially posted 20 new claims at once, and most were not even games he played, I felt the need to validate it; especially since I thought I saw an issue at a glance the first time. So let's go over the exceptions I did make. Sardavanua has a Nioh exception. They did two full DLCs in September and a little bit of the base game. So if I had to guess based on times quoted in trophiy guides, they would have had to have put in roughly 40-50 hours during the event timeframe. Mesopithecus has Monster Hunter World and from what I can tell based on the trophy pattern, they have probably spent an average of 2-3 hours a day on the game for almost the entire event. So we are looking at at least 100 hours during the event. So those two I felt were significant enough to grant an exception to based on hours. Lastly we have Dark_moon689 with Lover's in a Dangerous Space Time. That trophy guide says 10 hours, and I see they spent roughly two pre-event start date. So that is 20% pre-event, 80% during the event. But also a key factor for me is they popped the trophies in August BEFORE they asked to sign-up. You started your game 3 weeks AFTER you singed up and knew the rules, and you did ~6 hours required for your game during the event, you are like 80% pre-event and 20% during the event. So you don't have a significant hour investment, didn't do most of your game during the event, and started it after you signed up. So I feel 100% justified in saying it shouldn't be allowed.

With all that being said, the only reason to be a stickler was because there were these gift cards on the line. However, no one is disputing Mystery Inc's win, so pretty much from here on out we're all just in it for the fun of it. So if you ask nicely for an exception, I'll give you credit for Cuphead and add it to your team's tracker. Like I said above, the only reason I even bothered to check it out was because I felt it necessary to validate what Briste handed in. Otherwise, I would have just saw you posted the bounty and added it. If you want to fight me on my logic about what is or isn't allowed and dispute further. we can just escalate it to a vote among the VHA. You know how I will vote, but there are four other individuals on the team and each will have their own opinion. It's up to you. 

Edited by Spacey Dweeb
removed pronouns that assumed gender and corrected spellings of user names.

@Spacey Dweeb But time stamps don't really indicate how much time was actually spent on a game. While the guide states Cuphead takes 30 hours, it only took me 11 as it is incredibly skill dependent. You can see that is the case by looking at how fast the fastest achiever times are. With that being said, over half of the time I put into the game was on that final day and so it wouldn't be a 20/80 split, more so 60/40. 

Your last paragraph paints it as though I've been nasty to you in some way and so I have to perk up like a puppy dog to gain your forgiveness and have it count. In reality, I simply disputed your dispute and was met with a thesis statement in response. So if you really feel it's necessary to have a vote on it go ahead. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Spacey Dweeb said:

Mesopithecus has Monster Hunter World and from what I can tell based on the trophy pattern, they have probably spent an average of 2-3 hours a day on the game for almost the entire event.

Just to kind of support Kent's point about timestamps not being indicative of time spent in the game, I was spending 8-10 hours on MHW per day which is how my save file is over 300 hours.  Some days I wasn't even getting trophies, I'd spent 2-3 hours per day just measuring one particular monster alone looking for a crown for my friend and I :giggle:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kent10201 said:

@Spacey Dweeb But time stamps don't really indicate how much time was actually spent on a game. While the guide states Cuphead takes 30 hours, it only took me 11 as it is incredibly skill dependent. You can see that is the case by looking at how fast the fastest achiever times are. With that being said, over half of the time I put into the game was on that final day and so it wouldn't be a 20/80 split, more so 60/40. 

Your last paragraph paints it as though I've been nasty to you in some way and so I have to perk up like a puppy dog to gain your forgiveness and have it count. In reality, I simply disputed your dispute and was met with a thesis statement in response. So if you really feel it's necessary to have a vote on it go ahead. 

That wasn't my intention. I wish there was a better way to get tone of voice. I wasn't expecting any kind of apology. Just expecting something like, "Yeah, I feel the game should count. Please make an exception." I wasn't accusing you of being combative, just trying to discourage more argument about it, since it's not really a sticking point with me. I also agree with what you say about timestamps not being indicative of the actual ime, I was just using it as a tool to make educated guesses.

Edited by Spacey Dweeb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spacey Dweeb said:

That wasn't my intention. I wish there was a better way to get tone of voice. I wasn't expecting any kind of apology. Just expecting something like, "Yeah, I feel the game should count. Please make an exception." I also agree with what you say about timestamps not being indicative of the game, I was just using it as a tool to make educated guesses.

Then I apologize, that was just the way it came off when first reading it. Tone of voice is definitely hard to get across through text. Really not trying to argue I just know that the game wasn't staged. If you could make the exception based on my time stamp argument I would appreciate it.

• Like 2

I'll hop on the apology train too lol My post was meant to make things easier not harder. Didn't intend for it to eat up so much of your time! Anyways, I appreciate you taking the time to double check my work. If your bounty list didn't look so cool I wouldn't want it lol I actually want that more than I would have the cash prize.

6 hours ago, Briste said:

I'll hop on the apology train too lol My post was meant to make things easier not harder. Didn't intend for it to eat up so much of your time! Anyways, I appreciate you taking the time to double check my work. If your bounty list didn't look so cool I wouldn't want it lol I actually want that more than I would have the cash prize.

It's not actually a problem. Thanks for putting it together. Also, just so I don't leave it vague by liking his post and not commenting, I am counting Cuphead. 

@Kent10201 I just read your comment again and saw you mentioned my "thesis" statement. I made me lol for real. I didn't see catch that the first time. It wasn't there to damn you, I was just trying my best to show there was context and actual thought happening when I was deciding. I wasn't arbitrarily being like, "Nope not that one" without a reason.

Time to throw in one more for Clan Belmont. Even if it doesn't matter anymore, I'll want to help where I can!

1Laed705.png

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Mythological - Hybrid Humans

This is another one of those games that could have counted for anything really. I would have gone for Vampires, but it looks like Cassylvania already beat me there, and fittingly enough, with another Castlevania game. I'm choosing hybrid humans because you fight a lot of werewolves in this game, even including a werewolf boss as the first lord of shadow you fight. I did think it was weird they started with werewolves and didn't end on vampires given the nature of the series, but this is already a pretty major departure from the formula anyway. It's a decent game I guess. Fun gameplay, WEIRD story, though the spookiest thing about it is that the DLCs are still both TEN DOLLARS each. It's just three levels in the first one, and TWO in the second! Super overpriced and a downright scam if you ask me. Horrifying.

This was a great event. Kinda sad everything lost steam after Mystery Inc. won though. Maybe if you do something like this again, every team who fills out their cards completely could get some sort of reward? That might keep people biting at it for longer. Maybe first place gets the PSN cards, but everyone else could get a special badge or something. I don't know, I'm far from an expert, haha.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, SpaceCoresDad said:

Even if it doesn't matter anymore,

I don't really understand why people are saying this.  I get that technically my team has come in first place, it just seems to me like saying this means people were only in it for the prize.  If that is true it makes me sad.  I truly enjoyed this event and had good time getting to know a few of the many people who call this site home.  I hope it is just the late night air and I am reading into it more than I should be. 

Honestly,  I got a chance to clean up some of the games I had shelfed for a long long time, and thought I would never get back to.  I got to work with a team of people who supported and cheer each other on, and read the posts and sometimes the wonderful About me pages that people like @Leon Castle had put out there. Sorry @Leon Castle didn't mean to single you out I just really enjoyed reading about your adventures with your games.  Even if there was no prize, no customized participant's badges to proudly display on our forum pages/posts.  I would gladly have signed up for this event again.  I think @Spacey Dweeb and the other VHA members all did an awesome job on this event, and I personally would like to say Thank you, for all the fun and good times.  I hope to meet more people like you here in the forum and on this site. 

It is truly an honor to have gotten to know you all these past few months through our mutual joy of gaming, that goes for everyone.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SpaceCoresDad said:

This was a great event. Kinda sad everything lost steam after Mystery Inc. won though. Maybe if you do something like this again, every team who fills out their cards completely could get some sort of reward? That might keep people biting at it for longer. Maybe first place gets the PSN cards, but everyone else could get a special badge or something. I don't know, I'm far from an expert, haha.

Thanks. It definitely was an experiment and I have some ideas on making it better if I do another one in the future. The biggest part of what made it unusual was having team mates and needing to coordinate. I wasn't sure how it would go. Ultimately, I think it did okay, but I would do less pre-defining everything. Maybe divide everyone up evenly and then let them make team names themselves and figure out logos etc later.

I also started way to early for people to be that interested a Halloween event. So I think I'd wait until September next time and scale it down so it's like 15-20 per team with the reduced timeframe. The VHA was also pretty cool. We weren't that busy with disputes and moderation, but they've been super helpful in other ways and it was nice not to feel alone and have people to bounce ideas off of etc. They have been able to see designs early and steer me away from most of the bad ones. They are helping figure out the event badges right now. And just some quick words from @Inuty turned my initial draft into a much more fun concept.

Edited by Spacey Dweeb
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Spacey Dweeb said:

I also started way to early for people to be that interested a Halloween event. So I think I'd wait until September next time and scale it down so it's like 15-20 per team with the reduced timeframe. The VHA was also pretty cool. We weren't that busy with disputes and moderation, but they've been super helpful in other ways and it was nice not to feel alone and have people to bounce ideas off of etc. They have been able to see designs early and steer me away from most of the bad ones. They are helping figure out the event badges right now. And just some quick words from Inuty turned my initial draft into a much more fun concept.

I think as a runner of the event you did fantastic, honestly. You were really active in the thread, and the idea behind it was super solid. If you're worried about timing, I've done a couple winter/holiday events, and I generally keep the timing about the same. Since the "christmas month" is December, i give it two weeks on either side of it. So, it starts halfway through November, and ends halfway through January. That way people have time on either side if they get busy with stuff, and it still feels like the time of year it should happen. In terms of announcing it I've generally gone with two weeks to a week and a half ahead of when the event starts, and then allowing more people to join for a little while into it. Obviously doesn't really work when you have teams, but it's just an idea.

But yeah! This was still great. Good luck with the badges, I'm looking forward to updating my signature again. 

• Like 3

On 10/28/2020 at 5:01 AM, Spacey Dweeb said:

I think ghost armor works for the category. Like I said in the rules, there's going to be some monsters that kind of are a blend of categories. So as long as it reasonably fits you should be good.

Those Knight type monsters was kind of "Ghosts in Armor", so if at least Knight type monster Ghost Armor works then all I have left is Goblin bounty.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:21 AM, Spinacheq said:

read the posts and sometimes the wonderful About me pages that people like @Leon Castle had put out there. Sorry @Leon Castle didn't mean to single you out I just really enjoyed reading about your adventures with your games.

That's fine, it's nice to hear you liked my About me page.

On 10/28/2020 at 0:50 PM, Sardavanua said:

@Bumperklever Good luck with that bounty. I just went trough my backlog and I couldn't find a game for those bounties that I could finish in three days. So maybe one of the other Ghostbusters can help out here?

Well it took me like a year. (no not really seems like my savefile is 24 hours. and I thought evoland 2 would only be 10 hours long, which actually now is 20 hours xd)

But here it is:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/7732-evoland/MvP-BumperKlever

This would just like cuphead vink of aaaaa lot of monsters in the monster hunt. But obviously it would be human-like as earlier discussed.

Though the ' monster' that I beated in this zelda clone (but actually just beated in bejewelled (lol)) is J.(on) Snow

55Lbf4f52.png

Just aquatic left then. I am not gonna make another plat, so I hope 1 of my teammates can carry us through it :P

• Like 4

One more for Clan Belmont...LEGO Jurassic World (Vita) to knock off Abominations.

Here's my logic...Indomitus Rex is not a "natural" dinosaur but a designer dinosaur, hence it is a Creation.

As a Creation, it is neither human-like or object-like, thus rendering it an Abomination (everything else).

It's probably a stretch but I think the logic makes it work.  Hoping I'll get another done tomorrow, working on Riddled Corpses EX for either zombie or skeletons but not sure if I'm going to make it.  I finished Layers of Fear earlier in the month but I don't think it applies to any of our remaining bounties.

Overall, it's been a lot of fun and I just wish I could have played more consistently to get Clan Belmont all the way through the card.  Still one more day but I think I've gotten done as much as I can.  Thanks to our host @Spacey Dweeb for a great event!  Congrats to Mystery Incorporated and all the other participants who did what we do best and had fun playing great games! ???

• Like 1