Hardcore and NG+

naotsugulh

1 minute ago, naotsugulh said:

So would you recommend doing 3 playthroughs for the plat (NG, NG+, and HC)?

I think mine took 3.5-4 playthroughs. I went into NG++ on my normal run before going into HC.

For XP, I just kept playing the campaign missions since the Map Works didn't seem to give much experience even on higher difficulties.

I started on Hardcore and will end it on Hardcore just to play as less playthroughs as possible. I'm in NG+ as of this post and so far it's been more than manageable with the Outlander class following this simple build https://levelskip.com/rpgs/Torchlight-2-The-Deadly-Dual-Pistol-Outlander-Build-Guide and making sure to remember to back up my save often. Admittedly I died twice but the first time I don't blame myself as I shot a ton of stuff all bunched together not realizing that it goes kablooey. So yup, buh-bye character and had to resort to a backup save. The second time was my stupidity. I had no business rushing into an overpowered mob thinking I was gonna go walking out of it still alive. Since that second death I've played a bit more cautiously and kicked the "run-and-gun" method to the curb, lol. 

If you (or anyone else reading this for the first time looking for advise) really just wants to play it safe and not have to constantly worry about dying and backing up your save from the beginning of your platinum journey until the end than yes, I would recommend probably starting a normal runthrough just to get a feel for the game and what to expect and keep at it until you pop your trophy for reaching level 100. Once that's done move on to your Hardcore run and be sure to play it on Casual difficulty. Also (and what players often neglect), try to really build up your resistances to all of the elemental attacks (poison, fire, ice and electric). I've noticed that the game doesn't really favor one particular element over another when it comes to enemies so try to have them all on an even keel. 

Luckily the game isn't too long and there really isn't a whole lot to do. For an RPG it's very light on the side quests and storyline missions. Take it slow on Hardcore, don't run-and-gun like I was originally doing because it'll backfire on you eventually! ?

Edited by MrTacoNinja

Just a little update:

Don't use that horrible Outlander class or that shit build guide I linked. This build sucks. It's weak, it's skills suck and it's survivability is fucking terrible. I'm currently in Chapter 3 and since the start of New Game+ I've died a million goddamn times already. This useless, pussy build can and WILL die in one hit. Useless class, useless build.

Edited by MrTacoNinja
  • Like 1