What game(s) brought your completion streak to an end?

DaveMcDamage

Hi everyone, and apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Wasn't sure if it was suited to this of off-topic. 

Anyway. Basically its all about those gamers who go for completion streaks but eventually see it all come crashing down. 

Now since the 360/PS3 era I sort of made my own entertainment with the trophy/achievement system. Sport game profiles, FPS profiles, RPG profiles etc etc and all with the intention of getting 100% completion for trophies/achievements on the games. Most times it ends in failure and mostly because some games just suck so much that I couldn't bare to finish them. Only 3 games ever caused me to quit simply because they were just way above my game skills.

First it was CoD Modern Warfare. Could never get that Mile High finished. Second game was Ninja Gaiden 2. Now that I sort of hated but I also have to admit that I didn't stand a chance against it. 

Now the third game which has caused me to call it a day is Judgement from RGG. Now whats super sucky about this is that this was my very last profile which I wanted to get 50 games done to completion from single player only games (with the exception of Hitman games and No Mans Sky containing online trophies). Now I swore I would never touch another RGG game after finishing Yakuza 6. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the franchise overall, but it was way too samey. So when I found out about Judgement being in the same location, same mini games, same moves and whatnot I said no. That was until the fantastic summer sale which is currently on. Oh how that fantabulous bargain has destroyed me. 

Now whilst I can say I wasn't blown away by what I played, I would have kept going none the less if I could progress, but lack of skill and luck against RNG has caused me to quit. Couldn't beat Virtua Fighter 5, couldn't beat Viper Fighters, couldn't beat pinball but what truly wrecked me was Puyo Puyo. I can cry all day long how unfair that game is and how its structured, but others have done it and so I have to simply admit I suck monkey balls at it and after 20 hours on that mini game alone, I accept defeat no matter how much it guts me. 

Despite my games for the most part being at 100% completion, I have never considered myself a good video gamer. I've used guides here or there and most of my completions came from perseverance rather than actual skill.  And I definitely never considered myself a completionist as that implies I would attempt anything, I considered myself more of a gamer who wanted the 100% from the games he really wanted to play. Also. Age is starting to definitely show with gaming. Long gone are the days when I could button mash with ease lol. 

Now you could ask why not play the games and not go for trophies. Well again this comes down to age for me. Since I'm an older gamer, for me there is a line between entertainment and playing with a toy. Now the trophies give me goals, and whilst I have to do the same as every other gamer to obtain them, it feels a bit more grown up to have goals. Where as just dicking about on a game like wrecking shit for hours on end, thats more like a toy and way to young minded for me. 

So what games caused you to either end your streak or put you off trophies altogether?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Overwatch about 3 times lol. Every few months i play with my bro on it. Got around 60 percent trophies on it and its always when ive had a good run of games completed

Yeah I was the same with CoD (more like OCD the amount of times I tried).

But kudos to you. I mean Overwatch is an online shooter right? With that in mind even the shittest of gamers can be more challenging that the most advanced AI because you cannot learn there patterns. They could do any crazy shit and mess you up. And increase that 10-fold when going against great gamers who love shooters and then attach trophies to it. So I'm gutted that it crushed your soul from within, but at the same time its totally understandable. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spacey_dweeb said:

I never had much of a streak, but theoretically I can achieve every 100% still, except Orcs Must Die Unchained. I started it near when it's server closure was happening and just couldn't put in the time it needed before it was too late. Stuck at 50% on it forever.

Yeah I had an issue like that with a game. That game with Jack Black in. Awesome fun game but when trying to get the online trophies I could never find anyone. A major reason I hate the online trophies.... Gah!

• Like 1

My battle with Asmodee Digital and their dumpster fire of a game Munchkin: Quacked Quest is still ongoing, but I'm pretty sure they'll never fix the issues keeping people from getting 100% across all four platforms. This is the only PS4 game (except RE7) that I haven't been able to complete this generation...thanks for reminding me.

6 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah I had an issue like that with a game. That game with Jack Black in. Awesome fun game but when trying to get the online trophies I could never find anyone. A major reason I hate the online trophies.... Gah!

You mean Brütal Legend? I love that game to death. Really great soundtrack.

Did you try making a session for it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Helyx said:

My battle with Asmodee Digital and their dumpster fire of a game Munchkin: Quacked Quest is still ongoing, but I'm pretty sure they'll never fix the issues keeping people from getting 100% across all four platforms. This is the only PS4 game (except RE7) that I haven't been able to complete this generation...thanks for reminding me.

Any info you need for Resi 7 give me a shout. I suck at games but I did get that done. Ethan must die was the toughest though, but every doable once you know how. 

• Like 1

I have about 10 incomplete games and i'm pushing 200 played.  The one that made me decide i wouldn't go for 100% completion anymore was Fallout 76.  I hate the world, the game play , the lore, and just about everything else about this stupid game and draw the line.  I won't put myself through it.  I could do it just won't.  I also have Red Dead Redemption Which I find too boring, the Dooms day heist in GTAV which I find unreasonably demanding in terms of putting people together to do it.  I hate the fact I have to complete it with 3 people and 4 people and 2 people, just so stupid of a requirement. In most case It is just too much to go through not necessarily a difficulty thing.  The one difficulty related Game that is not 100% is Nex Machina.  I feel like I could get this someday but I' have to be in the mood which i never am.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roronora_Zoro666 said:

You mean Brütal Legend? I love that game to death. Really great soundtrack.

Did you try making a session for it?

Yeah I tried loads of stuff mate. Even making request threads back then. I think because the online gameplay was a strategy game as opposed to the hack & slash of the main game, it was a little too different for most gamers and so they ditched it.

1 minute ago, steel6burgh said:

I have about 10 incomplete games and i'm pushing 200 played.  The one that made me decide i wouldn't go for 100% completion anymore was Fallout 76.  I hate the world, the game play , the lore, and just about everything else about this stupid game and draw the line.  I won't put myself through it.  I could do it just won't.  I also have Red Dead Redemption Which I find too boring, the Dooms day heist in GTAV which I find unreasonably demanding in terms of putting people together to do it.  I hate the fact I have to complete it with 3 people and 4 people and 2 people, just so stupid of a requirement. In most case It is just too much to go through not necessarily a difficulty thing.  The one difficulty related Game that is not 100% is Nex Machina.  I feel like I could get this someday but I' have to be in the mood which i never am.  

GTAV. The greatest game ever made, but one which sickened me so much I dumped an entire profile with 23 complete games on it at the time. Its only of only a handful of games I could play even after getting the 100%, but when they released that doomsday heist pack, two things pissed me off. Adding trophies after 4 years of release, but the worst was how designed the whole thing around selling shark cards. Putting requirements for the heist in the main lobby where its hammered with kids or arseholes just there to wreck your game strategy. When I saw that I was so sickened by it that I couldn't bare to have that game on my profile any longer and went to extremes a little bit, one might say lol. 

15 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Any info you need for Resi 7 give me a shout.

I let a friend borrow my copy 3 years ago and just recently got it back in May. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually...right?...right? :dunno:

Also velocity 2x and days gone have nakered my run. 

I kinda new velocity 2x was going to with it being a difficult plat but i wanted a decent game to play on my vita and its very good

Days gone on the other hand i had 100 percent on that but then they added they darn challenges. Frustrating when there is a easy enough plat to a game but then they add a difficulty spike dlc or new game plus trophies to a pretty long game

Edited by dannyswfc9

I don’t really have a completion streak as such because game percentages don’t really interest me, I just find the pop of a platinum satisfying. I have been on a platinum streak that’s still ongoing though. I ended up trying Burly Men At Sea back in 2018 and it was my first platinum in ages and pushed me to finish up some of the games I was close to, so I ended up getting like 3 other platinums in December alone. For 2019 I made myself a “gaming goal” for the year to earn 5 platinums and play 9 games through to completion (because I have the really bad habit of starting something and then jumping to something else). I was making really good progress and in the end my goal changed to earning 1 plat a month for the year. Some months I earned multiple, but from December 18 until now I’ve consistently earned at least one platinum a month so I’m pretty proud of that ?

My overall profile completion percentage is only like 46% or something though so you could say most of my games have stopped my streak ?

Edited by hittheroadbucky

7 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Also velocity 2x and days gone have nakered my run. 

I kinda new velocity 2x was going to with it being a difficult plat but i wanted a decent game to play on my vita and its very good

Days gone on the other hand i had 100 percent on that but then they added they darn challenges. Frustrating when there is a easy enough plat to a game but then they add a difficulty spike dlc or new game plus trophies to a pretty long game

Assuming you have a PS4, you can go back and  forth for V2x between the 2 consoles. The touch screen on Vita is really helpful for the flight heavy sections where you need to jump around a lot. I did find the on foot sections much easier on the PS4 using a standard controller. Fantastic game. Certainly a plat to be proud of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diskdocx said:

Assuming you have a PS4, you can go back and  forth for V2x between the 2 consoles. The touch screen on Vita is really helpful for the flight heavy sections where you need to jump around a lot. I did find the on foot sections much easier on the PS4 using a standard controller. Fantastic game. Certainly a plat to be proud of.

Thanks for the tips. I might try the foot sections on the ps4. Level 50 even on the vita is a real pain. A short level but cant seem to get the 2 ships at the right levels to hit the switchs and make the time limit

2 hours ago, diskdocx said:

Theres not enough upvotes i can give you for this. I have no idea how you use the touch pad and shoot at the same time on the ship but you made me download this on the ps4 and ive just done level 50. I very nearly gave up and cursed you a few times for making me start this addictice game again. Ive not played this game since february but thought i would give it another try. 

Ive gold all crit urgency levels so the plat seems a bit more doable now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Theres not enough upvotes i can give you for this. I have no idea how you use the touch pad and shoot at the same time on the ship but you made me download this on the ps4 and ive just done level 50. I very nearly gave up and cursed you a few times for making me start this addictice game again. Ive not played this game since february but thought i would give it another try. 

Ive gold all crit urgency levels so the plat seems a bit more doable now

Way to go! Absolutely loved this game, and it is definitely one of my proudest plats. Very hard, very skilled, but also very fair IMO. If you stick with it you can do, and I always felt like when I missed the time, it was due to error on my end, not something cheap from within the game!

15 minutes ago, sk_lp_him said:

It will be RDR 2 when I come around to start it. I will totally not go for the platinum, just the story and side mission stuff.

Becarefull. This is exactly what i said before sinking 200 hours into it

28 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Way to go! Absolutely loved this game, and it is definitely one of my proudest plats. Very hard, very skilled, but also very fair IMO. If you stick with it you can do, and I always felt like when I missed the time, it was due to error on my end, not something cheap from within the game!

Yeah its a very fair game. Im quite confident i will get the plat now at some point. The perfect critical urgancy levels trophy gave me my second rarest trophy so i was pretty chuffed at that 

8 hours ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

Judgement was amazing. Luckily, I am not too anal about completion and I enjoyed Judgement but would not ruin my enjoyment of the game by going back and Platinuming it. I do want to really get into the Yakuza series after playing Judgement

Judgement feels like a major step back when it comes to Yakuza. I'm not just bitter because I couldn't beat Puyo Puyo, but playing the game I just felt like everything they had learned from the Yakuza went out of the window and they couldn't even be bothered with this game. 

I will always recommend Yakuza Zero as a must play game. The completion can be taxing at times, but its fair and all about learning and gaining skills as opposed to Judgement being completely luck based against cheap RNG when it came to the mini-games. 

Just now, DaveMcDamage said:

Judgement feels like a major step back when it comes to Yakuza. I'm not just bitter because I couldn't beat Puyo Puyo, but playing the game I just felt like everything they had learned from the Yakuza went out of the window and they couldn't even be bothered with this game. 

I will always recommend Yakuza Zero as a must play game. The completion can be taxing at times, but its fair and all about learning and gaining skills as opposed to Judgement being completely luck based against cheap RNG when it came to the mini-games. 

Again, seeing how difficult the Yakuza series is to Platinum, I see no need to do so. Again, Judgement was absolutely amazing and was my GOTY of 2019