Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Guiding lands and investigations Gold crowns

Hey everyone been farming for crowns since my last post and I have a few questions for the guiding lands and investigations. Here they are:

I recently found out you can make your own lures using guiding alchemy at the elder melder, will using these specific lures affect me getting a gold crown? Just want to be sure before using my items because they cost a lot of melding points.

Second this is mostly because of one monster, the Silver Rathalos and the investigations. I just can’t seem to be able to get investigations for it. Here’s what I’ve done so far, I captured him in the guiding lands and then killed him in the special arena, I then went and collected tracks in elders recess. So far I’ve only gotten gold rathian and other monsters investigations. I’ve used up all my lures on him, so is there an easier way or is this just the way it is? 

And that’s pretty much it I’ve been farming for gold crowns for a total of 240+ hours and my entire playtime is 948 hours so I’m not trying to speed through this game (this is just Incase you all think I’m way too reliant on other people’s help). I now have 6 monsters left. So yeah I’m gonna go back to killing silver Rathalos. 
See you all later.

I don't believe GL has inherent higher crown chances. Best chances are tempered investigations with 5 rewards, then 4. Normal investigations with 2s/3g or 1b/4g seem to be best chance.

As for getting investigations, that is another set of rng. Breaking parts can get you investigations as well, so try to do that if you can. And what you are doing seems to be what you need to do.

There is just so much RNG in the game, it's ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Squirlruler said:

I don't believe GL has inherent higher crown chances. Best chances are tempered investigations with 5 rewards, then 4. Normal investigations with 2s/3g or 1b/4g seem to be best chance.

As for getting investigations, that is another set of rng. Breaking parts can get you investigations as well, so try to do that if you can. And what you are doing seems to be what you need to do.

There is just so much RNG in the game, it's ridiculous.

Really? That’s just how it is? Damn well hopefully those silver Rathalos investigations will start popping up soon. I find it highly annoying because even if I do get those investigations it’s still a very small chance I’ll even get a crown. This is just crazy I’m not even sure I’ll be able to get these last ones. 

Yea. I think it's like 6% for a crown under best circumstances. I know I killed 80+ Kirins for my crowns for that one...

Oh, also, the more monsters in an investigation, the better the chance for crowns. Other things that help is reduced time limit, reduced feints, reduced people. I am pretty sure all that increases crown chances.

Need to get back into it. Down to like 8 crowns left lol.

You will be able to get them. The chance will happen. Just keep at it! GL.

• Like 1

Just as Squirlruler said, it's RNG, again :D
Fight Silver Rathalos when you can, try to break parts, collect tracks wherever you can and hope to get an investigation. You can use all guiding land items, so just keep at it and fight monsters, it's all useful! Basically you can fight a Great Jagras and get a Silver Rathalos lure if you're lucky. Fight in groups of 4, that way you get the 'lures' other members of the group get when killing a monster, collecting signs of turf wars or breaking parts.
Or try to go into other peoples' guiding land quests, maybe even put Silver Rathalos as a filter search. Most likely the groups popping up are fighting him at least once.

Btw, what crowns do you still need? Maybe you could get one from events!

Edited by PraiseTheFluppi
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Squirlruler said:

Yea. I think it's like 6% for a crown under best circumstances. I know I killed 80+ Kirins for my crowns for that one...

Oh, also, the more monsters in an investigation, the better the chance for crowns. Other things that help is reduced time limit, reduced feints, reduced people. I am pretty sure all that increases crown chances.

Need to get back into it. Down to like 8 crowns left lol.

You will be able to get them. The chance will happen. Just keep at it! GL.

Oh no! Don’t remind me of the Kirin. That one took me 192 kills ?. Guess I’ll keep going making topics like this really encourages me to keep going. Well this should take me awhile.

6 minutes ago, a10j12 said:

Oh no! Don’t remind me of the Kirin. That one took me 192 kills 1f604.png. Guess I’ll keep going making topics like this really encourages me to keep going. Well this should take me awhile.

Ooomph. yea... I have no idea how many I actually checked. Lol. Don't forget to save scum if you get several good investigations for a specific monster :D

14 hours ago, PraiseTheFluppi said:

Just as Squirlruler said, it's RNG, again :D
Fight Silver Rathalos when you can, try to break parts, collect tracks wherever you can and hope to get an investigation. You can use all guiding land items, so just keep at it and fight monsters, it's all useful! Basically you can fight a Great Jagras and get a Silver Rathalos lure if you're lucky. Fight in groups of 4, that way you get the 'lures' other members of the group get when killing a monster, collecting signs of turf wars or breaking parts.
Or try to go into other peoples' guiding land quests, maybe even put Silver Rathalos as a filter search. Most likely the groups popping up are fighting him at least once.

Btw, what crowns do you still need? Maybe you could get one from events!

Yep I’ve done all the events where you get five monsters and the crown chance is higher which took me quite awhile. With other events I haven’t had much of anything with the other events. For example I did the scarred Yian garuga event 40+ times which took 15+ hours and only got the large crown. Then when I did the investigations I got the small on my 2nd try. So I don’t think events are good enough.
So far I need large crown silver Rathalos and the other ones are, velkana, Namielle, blackveil Vaal hazaak, ruiner nergigante, deviljho and lunstra. Oh that’s 7 ?. I’m leaving deviljho and lunstra last because I can just kill them quickly in high rank. 

I’ve been doing guiding lands for countless hours at this point, going in, firing a flare and killing monsters it was fun but now it’s getting really boring and tedious. Anyways thanks for the advice guess I’ll be seeing how long this takes. 

Edited by a10j12

On 03/08/2020 at 1:52 PM, Squirlruler said:

Look for the event with two of them. One will be large crown and the other small crown :D " The Heart of the Nora " is the quest name.

Thanks for letting me know. I’ll check it out. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 11:17 AM, a10j12 said:

Hey everyone been farming for crowns since my last post and I have a few questions for the guiding lands and investigations. Here they are:

I recently found out you can make your own lures using guiding alchemy at the elder melder, will using these specific lures affect me getting a gold crown? Just want to be sure before using my items because they cost a lot of melding points.

Second this is mostly because of one monster, the Silver Rathalos and the investigations. I just can’t seem to be able to get investigations for it. Here’s what I’ve done so far, I captured him in the guiding lands and then killed him in the special arena, I then went and collected tracks in elders recess. So far I’ve only gotten gold rathian and other monsters investigations. I’ve used up all my lures on him, so is there an easier way or is this just the way it is? 

And that’s pretty much it I’ve been farming for gold crowns for a total of 240+ hours and my entire playtime is 948 hours so I’m not trying to speed through this game (this is just Incase you all think I’m way too reliant on other people’s help). I now have 6 monsters left. So yeah I’m gonna go back to killing silver Rathalos. 
See you all later.

How has your progress been since then? 

GL is indeed a bit better so if u still need crowns, i'd put your save on the cloud(turn off auto upload) or put it on a USB and repeat making lures for whichever monster you need crowns for and lure an banish them til u believe its large enough/small enough..If you run out, just redownload the save. I only recommend doing this when u r doing nothing but crown farming for a few hours.

This rule also applies to the investigations, they r very rare so if you get a gold rath or silver rathalos tempered or gold/silver reward versions..I'd keep them and usb/cloud transfer every time to see.

Edited by Kal-El457
  • Like 1

On 04/09/2020 at 11:41 PM, Kal-El457 said:

How has your progress been since then? 

GL is indeed a bit better so if u still need crowns, i'd put your save on the cloud(turn off auto upload) or put it on a USB and repeat making lures for whichever monster you need crowns for and lure an banish them til u believe its large enough/small enough..If you run out, just redownload the save. I only recommend doing this when u r doing nothing but crown farming for a few hours.

This rule also applies to the investigations, they r very rare so if you get a gold rath or silver rathalos tempered or gold/silver reward versions..I'd keep them and usb/cloud transfer every time to see.

Well I took a big break from the game since this post and have been playing other games. The 240+ hours really made me wanna quit. This might sound stupid but I’m kinda against the whole usb/save cloud thing so you have pretty much have infinite try’s. I remember other people saying stuff like save scumming an investigation. To me I just don’t like doing things by doing sort of tricks to make it more easy. I wanna do it legit even though I almost gave up after making this post. I’m still on silver ratholes but got a handful of investigations for it recently so I might give it go later this week. This is such an annoying trophy I sometimes find it hard to believe how rare some of these crowns are. 

Edited by a10j12

9 hours ago, a10j12 said:

Well I took a big break from the game since this post and have been playing other games. The 240+ hours really made me wanna quit. This might sound stupid but I’m kinda against the whole usb/save cloud thing so you have pretty much have infinite try’s. I remember other people saying stuff like save scumming an investigation. To me I just don’t like doing things by doing sort of tricks to make it more. I wanna do it legit even though I almost gave up after making this post. I’m still on silver ratholos but got a handful of investigations for it recently so I might give it go later this week. This is such an annoying trophy I sometimes find it hard to believe how rare some some of these crowns are. 

I don't think save scumming is a requirement. While I don't have the platinums yet, I already have all the crowns and I never ran out of investigations. Hell, I ended up deleting tons of them.

18 hours ago, a10j12 said:

Well I took a big break from the game since this post and have been playing other games. The 240+ hours really made me wanna quit. This might sound stupid but I’m kinda against the whole usb/save cloud thing so you have pretty much have infinite try’s. I remember other people saying stuff like save scumming an investigation. To me I just don’t like doing things by doing sort of tricks to make it more easy. I wanna do it legit even though I almost gave up after making this post. I’m still on silver ratholes but got a handful of investigations for it recently so I might give it go later this week. This is such an annoying trophy I sometimes find it hard to believe how rare some of these crowns are. 

I mean, thats fine but you will have a much harder time getting certain monsters. Silver Rath for example only has that 1 quest I believe where u fight both SIlver and Gold so it will be very frustrating to do that compared to luring them in GL and checking/repeating..If you have 10+ Lures of silver rath lets say, thats 10 tries of measuring in 1 instance without load screens which is the big advantage. You wouldn't have to do the USB save as often but its up to you man.

At your time invested, i'd be burnt out on the game and just only wanna plat and delete it. I plat both with 350hrs total played and thats with me farming Safi'jivva and Kulve etc. I have the best gear in the game, I have a build for every element. I actually recently redownloaded my save and reinstalled the game to do alatreon just cuz but yea..all up to you man. It'll feel insurmountable if you don't use the USB trick because the game has terrible mechanics all around. Load screens r everywhere, the game has so many slow pop up screens b4 you can load again, failing a hunt doesnt have a restart option, things like that.

I tried to be as efficient as possible with the legendary dragons and non regular event quest monsters. If you still enjoy the game, u can play it casually and maybe eventually you'll be lucky and get the crowns i guess haha

Investigations are completely random btw, thats why ppl do the USB trick. When i played in May-June they didnt have the ability to create lures at the melder and I had literally found just 1 Silver Rath investigation with silver/gold rewards. If you get a lot of those then that's lucky and u wont need to do the usb but otherwise i'd just lure in the GL

Edited by Kal-El457
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Kal-El457 said:

I mean, thats fine but you will have a much harder time getting certain monsters. Silver Rath for example only has that 1 quest I believe where u fight both SIlver and Gold so it will be very frustrating to do that compared to luring them in GL and checking/repeating..If you have 10+ Lures of silver rath lets say, thats 10 tries of measuring in 1 instance without load screens which is the big advantage. You wouldn't have to do the USB save as often but its up to you man.

At your time invested, i'd be burnt out on the game and just only wanna plat and delete it. I plat both with 350hrs total played and thats with me farming Safi'jivva and Kulve etc. I have the best gear in the game, I have a build for every element. I actually recently redownloaded my save and reinstalled the game to do alatreon just cuz but yea..all up to you man. It'll feel insurmountable if you don't use the USB trick because the game has terrible mechanics all around. Load screens r everywhere, the game has so many slow pop up screens b4 you can load again, failing a hunt doesnt have a restart option, things like that.

I tried to be as efficient as possible with the legendary dragons and non regular event quest monsters. If you still enjoy the game, u can play it casually and maybe eventually you'll be lucky and get the crowns i guess haha

Investigations are completely random btw, thats why ppl do the USB trick. When i played in May-June they didnt have the ability to create lures at the melder and I had literally found just 1 Silver Rath investigation with silver/gold rewards. If you get a lot of those then that's lucky and u wont need to do the usb but otherwise i'd just lure in the GL

Yeah I understand why people use that trick but I just wanna do it properly, I dunno it’s just me. Oh I definitely agree the loading screens can become unbearable at times and losing a fight against what looks like a gold crown (Which has happened to me a couple times actually) makes me wanna throw my controller to the wall. Anyways I been making some progress got a few investigations and a handful of lures so I’m gonna see how they work out. 

Edited by a10j12

Sending your tailraider safari out to elders recess seems like your best bet getting silver rathalos investigations. In terms of gold crowns tempered investigations with 4 or 5 rewards offer the best chances like others have said, i got a mini gold crown from this and a large gold crown from a lure.

Edited by mastiingwerf

• 1 month later...

You should try some online investigations with randoms. I got a lot of crowns this way, including crowns for Silver Rathalos and Gold Rathian. When you see a high level hunter doing some investigation, there is a good chance that he found a crown. I personally would call a SOS flare when I saw a gold one during my hunts.

• Like 2

Yeah that’s what I’ve been doing as well, unfortunately no one seems to want to fight silver ratholos because 9/10 times I attempt this nothing shows up. I do investigations and guiding lands. What I find irritating is that silver ratholos can be kinda unfair sometimes like when it pushes you at a wall and keeps flying and doing that fire breath move constantly. And if it looks like a big crown I’m thinking if I screw this up does this mean I’m I gonna have to kill this another 100+ times to have another chance? (don’t know if it’s like that but if it is I wouldn’t be surprised). Anyways appreciate the advice but I’ve already done and still doing that. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2020 at 1:17 PM, a10j12 said:

See you all later.

I just finished getting the plat and I wish I would have did all my crown hunting with lures (besides monsters with event quests with higher chances), after switching to that method it went SO much faster. Lure monter measure kill or banishing ball re-lure.

As far as I know guiding land monsters have the same crown rate as expedition monster, even with a lure, which would be 2% for small and 1% for large (correct me if I'm wrong). I've always found high quality/risk investigations to have a tremendously better chance of spawning crowns. When I couldn't get an investigation for a monster, I would jump into either an event with that monster or the guiding lands to collect tracks. One of my last monsters was the scarred garuga and I killed 27 of them in the guiding lands without any noticeable sizes. After farming for an investigation (4 purple) I got the crown within 4 tries. 

It sucks having to rely on rng until u have a good investigation only to spend more time crown sniping, but I do prefer it over fighting them in the guiding lands. Having the monster in the same spot with the same routine made measuring a lot easier for me.

Edited by Lil-Gocee

1 hour ago, Lil-Gocee said:

As far as I know guiding land monsters have the same crown rate as expedition monster, even with a lure, which would be 2% for small and 1% for large (correct me if I'm wrong). I've always found high quality/risk investigations to have a tremendously better chance of spawning crowns. When I couldn't get an investigation for a monster, I would jump into either an event with that monster or the guiding lands to collect tracks. One of my last monsters was the scarred garuga and I killed 27 of them in the guiding lands without any noticeable sizes. After farming for an investigation (4 purple) I got the crown within 4 tries. 

It sucks having to rely on rng until u have a good investigation only to spend more time crown sniping, but I do prefer it over fighting them in the guiding lands. Having the monster in the same spot with the same routine made measuring a lot easier for me.

I had the same last one and was the exact opposite lol

On 06/12/2020 at 6:14 PM, Lil-Gocee said:

I doubt it’s even 1% I’ve done investigations and guiding lands and have killed it a total of 150 times and still no large. I’ve given up on farming it for hours a day. Now I just play and kill it a few times every now and then, like once a week, sometimes longer. Also the measuring is just way too precise, there are many times where I’m like that has to be a gold crown and isn’t. The silver ratholos on investigations is in elders recess so the ground is too bumpy to even measure properly. I eventually stopped measuring and just went to kill it until it shows. I may never get it but with how long it’s been taking me I don’t care anymore. The rng is just too ridiculous, the reason I went to try and get this achievement is because people said the crowns were easier compared to world but from what I’ve experienced there just as bad. If I knew it was this bad I wouldn’t have even tried. 
WOAH I just realised I kinda ranted for a bit. Thanks for tips but like I said I’ve tried EVERYTHING so who knows maybe some day I’ll get it. 

On 8-12-2020 at 9:10 PM, a10j12 said:

I doubt it’s even 1% I’ve done investigations and guiding lands and have killed it a total of 150 times and still no large. I’ve given up on farming it for hours a day. Now I just play and kill it a few times every now and then, like once a week, sometimes longer. Also the measuring is just way too precise, there are many times where I’m like that has to be a gold crown and isn’t. The silver ratholos on investigations is in elders recess so the ground is too bumpy to even measure properly. I eventually stopped measuring and just went to kill it until it shows. I may never get it but with how long it’s been taking me I don’t care anymore. The rng is just too ridiculous, the reason I went to try and get this achievement is because people said the crowns were easier compared to world but from what I’ve experienced there just as bad. If I knew it was this bad I wouldn’t have even tried. 
WOAH I just realised I kinda ranted for a bit. Thanks for tips but like I said I’ve tried EVERYTHING so who knows maybe some day I’ll get it. 

If it's mostly the Silver Rathalos u can hit me up on ps messages and I can see if I can crown snipe it. I know for a fact that I still have some good investigations for that bastard. 

• Like 1

REALLY APPRECIATE IT! I’ll send you a message, also silver ratholos isn’t my only one left it’s also the other elder dragons. The reason I’m trying to get the silver ratholos is because I heard it’s one of the hardest crowns. I also have trouble fighting it, sometimes it even kills me which is why I don’t do tempered investigations.