Real talk, this is one of the best games I've ever played.

griffin123456789

47 minutes ago, griffin123456789 said:

I honestly hate being pulled away from it to do other things. I can't believe how perfect almost literally every aspect of this game is. It's a tragedy more people don't own this game. Hopefully it gets a PS Plus offer or something to get more people to play it. 

The physics, the art design, the music, the puzzles, the terrifying yet adorable tone, the emptiness of space clashed with the insanely well designed planets you can explore. Every aspect of this game just feels flawless. Still need to finish it and get the Hotshot trophy (which I'm really sucking at getting at the moment). But honestly, I'm worried about finishing this game, because then there will be no more stuff to explore. It's one of the few games I've played where I've actively avoided spoilers. Such a great game, hope more of you give it a shot. Mad praise to the developers if any of them have a chance in hell of seeing this post. Seriously, ya'll are madmen.

I've seen gameplay it kind of just looks like another first person exploration game. 

I agree it’s great. It’s one those games that don’t really happen anymore. Where you’re just put in the game with no objective, no waypoint, just getting in your spaceship and exploring, and finding out what the games about completely by yourself. I think the reason why it flew completely under radar was because it was an indie game so it wasn’t advertised that much. The only reason I found out about it was because a random YouTube video that I watched years ago was recommended to me. And it was a guy called nerdcubed playing the beta. Then I said to myself “I wonder how’s that game doing” and looked it up, found out it just got fully released and bought it. I hope more people notice and play it. It really is a great game.

• Like 1

This is why I praise indie games more in a lot of respects than AAA games.

In this case they took something that hasn't been done much and executed it with good results. Same with Cuphead, the developers took in some new ideas and brought out a quality game.

AAA games, not all but most of them follow a rather cookie cutter formula with a series of checklists for marketing purposes. A bunch of them all feel the same for me more or less, another open world game with collectibles and a boring dull trophy list to go with it. Marvel's Spider-Man is a perfect example of playing it safe, because these giant publishers aren't willing to take big risks anymore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

I've seen gameplay it kind of just looks like another first person exploration game. 

Footage can't really do it justice. I know that sounds like a hipster d-bag critic thing to say, but it truly applies to this game more than most. The appeal of it is knowing that you can explore any of these worlds at any discretion. There's no upgrades, no objects that improve your capabilities. What changes is your understanding of the solar system and its physics. This isn't an easy walking sim that you just push forward while occasionally tapping X to activate dialog bubbles. If you can't get in the headspace of respecting how gravity works in a vacuum, or learning the different bizarre natural disasters that are happening on different planets, you will die a lot. But you're supposed to die, and even encouraged to because death simply resets the 22 minute time loop you're currently in. The more you learn and experiment, the more you feel like a legit astronaut. You're able to conquer previously daunting tasks and ethereal concepts that most games don't even have in the back of their minds honestly.

One of my favorite examples was going to Dark Bramble and being lost in the fog of the world. All I could see was a red light off in the distance. After avoiding the giant monsters of that world (which I won't spoil how you avoid them) I reached the source of the red light which turned out to be where the creatures laid their eggs... and it wasn't even integral to the plot! But it was this awe-inspiring sight and seeing the crimson eggs slowly come into view through the fog made me feel like I was witnessing something like Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time. There's so many hidden vistas and sights the game doesn't tell you to look for, and may not be necessary for solving the central mystery, but you have no idea until finding it. The game respects your curiosity and always rewards it with either a clue as to what you need to search for on another planet (which you keep track of in your datalog which is a godsend in this game), and even if it's not vital to the plot, the stuff you find is always breathtaking once you lay your eyes on it.

It really is a game about the satisfaction of exploration and not being interrupted by scripted narrative devices. It also so brilliantly explains and paces the different mechanics so that you know how to solve different problems on different planets. If you grew up playing games like Zelda, Myst, Metroid and the like then this will totally satisfy you. It is all about the child like fantasy of discovering something just beyond your horizons and then it tempts you to step even deeper into its abyss. I know it can sound vague and frustrating, but considering most people who have played it have had their minds blown, I think it's indicative of its quality.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Possibly the best exploration game I’ve ever played. The way you explore and pick up clues is just amazing compared to other games that just vomit a bunch of icons on a map. In those games, you’re just looking at an icon on a minimap, following it like a drone, with a quest log that holds your hand like an over protective mother. In this game, you’re exploring, discovering, and the feeling you get when you have an “aha!” moment can’t be beat. You’ll have a lot of those moments and they are profound moments that make you feel like a boss.

it may sound a bit chaotic but it’s really not. Part of the genius of this game is the way it leads you from one thing to another without you noticing. It’s made in a way that one thing leads to another, and all things eventually lead to one of 4-5 very important places that teach you how to complete the story, and (not exaggerating) the secrets of the universe. 

Edited by liquidsol
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I come from the future!! This game is included in the new PS Plus Extra tier, so rejoice! In the end, more people will be able to experience it.

I really wanted to play this game, and now I come here and see people praising how good it is makes me want to play it even more!! Currently downloading it :D

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 5:30 AM, zin-hunter27 said:

I come from the future!! This game is included in the new PS Plus Extra tier, so rejoice! In the end, more people will be able to experience it.

I really wanted to play this game, and now I come here and see people praising how good it is makes me want to play it even more!! Currently downloading it :D

Let us know what you think :)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Didn't read the whole thread because of spoilers but randomly started playing this off of PS+ Premium and am absolutely enthralled with the exploration. It's so nice picking up some knowledge and depositing it into the Ship's Log. I'm slowly discovering more and more about the universe and uncovering new things and it's just a real treat. Picked up the DLC and the Archeologist Edition (currently on sale in U.S. store) to support the game and to get some more content. Auto Pilot to land on the planet so far is a life saver but I'm not very far in ?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well after seeing the reviews and some people saying its great i just spent a few hours on it... Hours i won't get back, i don't get it, imo its a right load of sh*t! Exploring and it resetting while you're doing something is just annoying, i was doing some puzzle and was at the very last bit and it reset.... Deleted, rubbish!

Doing some searching i can see a lot of others who don't get the love for this and agree it's extremely overrated. 

Edited by GUDGER666
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Exploring and it resetting while you're doing something is just annoying, i was doing some puzzle and was at the very last bit and it reset....

It can be a little frustrating when this happens, but it takes a minute or two maximum to get back to whatever you're doing, and even less time to complete it since you already know most of the solution this time around. It can be a little daunting in the beginning but the beauty of the game is that if you're ever stuck on something or are getting frustrated with a certain section, you can pack up and go to any other planet/location. If you're not having fun then I don't blame you for deleting the game and moving on, but I'd hate to see someone else read this and be put off from playing it because of what seems to me like a really minor complaint.

I started it a few years ago. Game looked promising, I really wanted to explore the system... until I stepped into the spaceship. I struggled so much with the controls, I couldn't figure out how to move correctly, the ship was never going where I wanted it to, and I didn't even get to explore a single planet because I was crashing all the time when I was trying to land. After at least 2 hours this frustrated me so much that I gave up and deleted the game. I get that the vacuum and gravity are realisitic, but there's a limit. Here it's so awful that it's not funny anymore.
I should probably go back to it and try again someday, but the motivation and excitement I had for the game is gone.

• 2 months later...

I found this game extremely frustrating to play and was eager to just get through it, but now that the dust has settled, I'm really glad I played it. Even though I never would have figured out any of the puzzles on my own and had to resort to a walkthrough for all of the ship logs, just the sheer determination to see through the end of the journey and experience the story for myself was worth it. The initial promise of being a "relaxing" game about exploration was thrown out the window when I had to keep repeating entire sections over and over due to the abrupt time loop cut-off, and the stressful in-game physics and variation in gravitational pull had me tearing my hair out.

For someone with a lot of patience and time, I can see why figuring this stuff out for yourself would be rewarding, but I'm clearly not smart enough to understand all the obtuse clues the game throws at you (especially in the Echoes of the Eye DLC) and the sheer scope of each planet is way too intimidating to enjoy blindly. Also, the achievements are dogshit and that Hotshot trophy (which took me all of 3 days) made me resent the developers. It's kind of like Death Stranding for me, which was a game I hated due to the monotonous and grinding gameplay, but I loved the overall storyline. Also, the music was great and that End Times theme is forever etched in my mind.

Spoiler

The ending itself was devastating to consider and the implications of the eventual heat death of the universe gave me existential pause. That feeling will always stay with me.

Days later, I still find myself thinking about it and humming those tunes...

Edited by bud-arc
Added spoiler tag

• 11 months later...

This is a once in a lifetime experince kind of game. I've just recently finish it and I'm just sad that I'll never get to experience the game again as theres nothing left for me to do, nothing left  for me to find or explore. I even did most of the endings just so I can experience everything the game had to offer. The game is like nothing else in the market and I'm willing to bet that no two players had the same exact experience on their playthrough. From a technical stand point the game goes against everything the videogame industry has programmed us to believe. That go here do this to progress the story, get this item, upgrade this and that, all of it is not here at all so if you are like me and are used to the game telling you exactly what to do and how to do it or constantly look at guides to get a platinum out of the way then this game can be very frustrating to you initially that was my biggest critique on the game and yet it ends up being one of the best things about it as each time you overcome and make progress on your knowledge that sense of accomplishment not even the hardest plats will give you. Every single piece of information you get is a clue for something else, the game makes you think to progress. If you are claustrophobic, fear of heights, fear of the unknown, fear of space the game will make you face those fears. It can be uncomfortable at times and this is why it provides a unique experience like no other, no game is like this and I doubt there ever will be another one like it.

I have so many good things to say about the game yet it might spoil the experience for others all I will say is that the game leaves you with a deep feeling that no other game has left me with and I will carry it for some time. Leaves you with an understanding about death, about how small and insignificant everything truly is, about how nothing lasts forever and yet despite all of that being sad it also leave you with a beautiful feeling that I will cary for the rest of my life. A feeling that the knowledge you possess, the places you have been, the friends, family and relationships you make on the road are all that matters in the end.

I strongly believe this game has the potential to change your life and your view on things, take it as a 20 hour mushroom trip through space. And if the game clicks with you and you allow it to talk to you then its higly likely that this game will be in your top 10 forever. Truly a masterpiece I had to make it my 200 platinum.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I already tried this game ten times and can’t seem to get into it. I really tried to push through. But it’s possibly the most boring game I’ve ever played in over 3 decades of gaming. I don’t get why people keep championing this game. I’ve put in over ten hours and don’t get the point how to progress. Maybe I just don’t get it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BeWanno said:

I already tried this game ten times and can’t seem to get into it. I really tried to push through. But it’s possibly the most boring game I’ve ever played in over 3 decades of gaming. I don’t get why people keep championing this game. I’ve put in over ten hours and don’t get the point how to progress. Maybe I just don’t get it.

See, you started off fine, some games aren't for everyone I get that, but then you say it's the most boring game you've played in 3 decades and then I immediately disregard everything you say because I can't help but feel your comment is in bad faith.

12 hours ago, BeWanno said:

I'm not going to throw shade about people's trophy hunting habits - we all do things our own way - ...

...but I do think that if someone has gotten used to playing thousands of "game-like-software" that spit out platinums after just pressing X over and over for 60 seconds...

...a game like Outer Wilds, that doesn't guide the player, doesn't spit out trophies quickly, isn't in the business of hand-holding or "set-path-ing" and simply leaves them to explore and poke around and discover the lore and narrative at the pace they determine will likely feel slow and boring by comparison.

It doesn't make the game itself boring though - it's an experience unlike most other games, and one that really resonates with a lot of people - including myself.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but I really didn't get the hype for this game. Don't get me wrong, the ending was excellent, but for me, a lot of the puzzles were really dull to sit through. I can't count the number of times I had to just wait for several minutes doing nothing for the ash to lower enough for me to do anything, and that's with the ability to wait at the campfire too. It's frustrating when you know the answer to a puzzle, but you're timegated for it so you just have to wait around for no reason. That's not to say it was bad, it was fine, but I've certainly played a lot better.

I try to get into it. I gave this game a chance but it didn't click for me but knowing that this game will leave from PS Extra gives me the motivation to play it again. Let's see if I will enjoy it. I will make a post again when I have finished or gave up on this game

Plus don't know If I will platinum this game. Just Wanna see the ending without any hints or tips.

Edited by ShadyWARcotix