griffin123456789

Real talk, this is one of the best games I've ever played.

14 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, griffin123456789 said:

I honestly hate being pulled away from it to do other things. I can't believe how perfect almost literally every aspect of this game is. It's a tragedy more people don't own this game. Hopefully it gets a PS Plus offer or something to get more people to play it. 

The physics, the art design, the music, the puzzles, the terrifying yet adorable tone, the emptiness of space clashed with the insanely well designed planets you can explore. Every aspect of this game just feels flawless. Still need to finish it and get the Hotshot trophy (which I'm really sucking at getting at the moment). But honestly, I'm worried about finishing this game, because then there will be no more stuff to explore. It's one of the few games I've played where I've actively avoided spoilers. Such a great game, hope more of you give it a shot. Mad praise to the developers if any of them have a chance in hell of seeing this post. Seriously, ya'll are madmen.

I've seen gameplay it kind of just looks like another first person exploration game. 

Ignore me I misread this and thought we were talking about Outer Worlds 😂

Edited by hittheroadbucky

I agree it’s great. It’s one those games that don’t really happen anymore. Where you’re just put in the game with no objective, no waypoint, just getting in your spaceship and exploring, and finding out what the games about completely by yourself. I think the reason why it flew completely under radar was because it was an indie game so it wasn’t advertised that much. The only reason I found out about it was because a random YouTube video that I watched years ago was recommended to me. And it was a guy called nerdcubed playing the beta. Then I said to myself “I wonder how’s that game doing” and looked it up, found out it just got fully released and bought it. I hope more people notice and play it. It really is a great game.

Yup, I’m with you. Hell of a game.

It’s basically the antidote to any sort of argument that the bigger the open world, the better the game.

Naysayer: “A space exploration game with only 7 or 8 planets? How can that be any good?”...

Outer Wilds: “Hold my beer...”

Something like No Man’s Sky is huge, but beyond the size of the games universe, there is nothing to it. It’s a mile wide, but an inch deep. Outer Wilds may only be an inch wide, but it’s depths are incredible, intricate, intriguing and vast. 

This is why I praise indie games more in a lot of respects than AAA games.

In this case they took something that hasn't been done much and executed it with good results. Same with Cuphead, the developers took in some new ideas and brought out a quality game.

AAA games, not all but most of them follow a rather cookie cutter formula with a series of checklists for marketing purposes. A bunch of them all feel the same for me more or less, another open world game with collectibles and a boring dull trophy list to go with it. Marvel's Spider-Man is a perfect example of playing it safe, because these giant publishers aren't willing to take big risks anymore.

4 hours ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

I've seen gameplay it kind of just looks like another first person exploration game. 

Footage can't really do it justice. I know that sounds like a hipster d-bag critic thing to say, but it truly applies to this game more than most. The appeal of it is knowing that you can explore any of these worlds at any discretion. There's no upgrades, no objects that improve your capabilities. What changes is your understanding of the solar system and its physics. This isn't an easy walking sim that you just push forward while occasionally tapping X to activate dialog bubbles. If you can't get in the headspace of respecting how gravity works in a vacuum, or learning the different bizarre natural disasters that are happening on different planets, you will die a lot. But you're supposed to die, and even encouraged to because death simply resets the 22 minute time loop you're currently in. The more you learn and experiment, the more you feel like a legit astronaut. You're able to conquer previously daunting tasks and ethereal concepts that most games don't even have in the back of their minds honestly.

One of my favorite examples was going to Dark Bramble and being lost in the fog of the world. All I could see was a red light off in the distance. After avoiding the giant monsters of that world (which I won't spoil how you avoid them) I reached the source of the red light which turned out to be where the creatures laid their eggs... and it wasn't even integral to the plot! But it was this awe-inspiring sight and seeing the crimson eggs slowly come into view through the fog made me feel like I was witnessing something like Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time. There's so many hidden vistas and sights the game doesn't tell you to look for, and may not be necessary for solving the central mystery, but you have no idea until finding it. The game respects your curiosity and always rewards it with either a clue as to what you need to search for on another planet (which you keep track of in your datalog which is a godsend in this game), and even if it's not vital to the plot, the stuff you find is always breathtaking once you lay your eyes on it.

It really is a game about the satisfaction of exploration and not being interrupted by scripted narrative devices. It also so brilliantly explains and paces the different mechanics so that you know how to solve different problems on different planets. If you grew up playing games like Zelda, Myst, Metroid and the like then this will totally satisfy you. It is all about the child like fantasy of discovering something just beyond your horizons and then it tempts you to step even deeper into its abyss. I know it can sound vague and frustrating, but considering most people who have played it have had their minds blown, I think it's indicative of its quality.

I've heard many good things about this game. I'm watching it in my wishlist, just waiting for it to go on a decent sale to pick it up.

Possibly the best exploration game I’ve ever played. The way you explore and pick up clues is just amazing compared to other games that just vomit a bunch of icons on a map. In those games, you’re just looking at an icon on a minimap, following it like a drone, with a quest log that holds your hand like an over protective mother. In this game, you’re exploring, discovering, and the feeling you get when you have an “aha!” moment can’t be beat. You’ll have a lot of those moments and they are profound moments that make you feel like a boss.

it may sound a bit chaotic but it’s really not. Part of the genius of this game is the way it leads you from one thing to another without you noticing. It’s made in a way that one thing leads to another, and all things eventually lead to one of 4-5 very important places that teach you how to complete the story, and (not exaggerating) the secrets of the universe. 

Edited by liquidsol

I come from the future!! This game is included in the new PS Plus Extra tier, so rejoice! In the end, more people will be able to experience it.

I really wanted to play this game, and now I come here and see people praising how good it is makes me want to play it even more!! Currently downloading it :D

On 6/29/2022 at 5:30 AM, zin-hunter27 said:

I come from the future!! This game is included in the new PS Plus Extra tier, so rejoice! In the end, more people will be able to experience it.

I really wanted to play this game, and now I come here and see people praising how good it is makes me want to play it even more!! Currently downloading it :D

Let us know what you think :)

Didn't read the whole thread because of spoilers but randomly started playing this off of PS+ Premium and am absolutely enthralled with the exploration. It's so nice picking up some knowledge and depositing it into the Ship's Log. I'm slowly discovering more and more about the universe and uncovering new things and it's just a real treat. Picked up the DLC and the Archeologist Edition (currently on sale in U.S. store) to support the game and to get some more content. Auto Pilot to land on the planet so far is a life saver but I'm not very far in 😂