Square Enix announced another add-on for Final Fantasy XI

Astray404

I feel like I've heard my FC in FFXIV talking about a mobile version of FFXI.  Maybe they're drumming up interest in the game to make way for something like that.

Otherwise I'm not sure why they'd continue supporting FFXI.  All that'll do is leech players from FFXIV, which is the game they're probably dumping the most resources into at the moment.

3 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I feel like I've heard my FC in FFXIV talking about a mobile version of FFXI.  Maybe they're drumming up interest in the game to make way for something like that.

Otherwise I'm not sure why they'd continue supporting FFXI.  All that'll do is leech players from FFXIV, which is the game they're probably dumping the most resources into at the moment.

Because FF11 and FF14 are two totally different games, like FF4 and FF8. People who have already played FF14 are welcome to play FF11: The story, the characters, the battle system, the bgms, most of them are totally independent (although FF14 has some FF11 seasonal collaboration events), hence I would describe switching to FF11 as a brand new experience. There are millions of FF14 players worldwide, and every one of them will potentially become a FF11 player if he/she would like to expand his/her game list. SE continues supporting FF11 to provide players an opportunity to experiencing the world of FF11, so "leeching" may not be a proper word.

33 minutes ago, Astray404 said:

Because FF11 and FF14 are two totally different games, like FF4 and FF8. People who have already played FF14 are welcome to play FF11: The story, the characters, the battle system, the bgms, most of them are totally independent (although FF14 has some FF11 seasonal collaboration events), hence I would describe switching to FF11 as a brand new experience. There are millions of FF14 players worldwide, and every one of them will potentially become a FF11 player if he/she would like to expand his/her game list. SE continues supporting FF11 to provide players an opportunity to experiencing the world of FF11, so "leeching" may not be a proper word.

I could be wrong but they are separate monthly subscription fee's right?  People will most likely pick one, not pay for both.

Playerbase in an MMO is important, multiplayer games without people to play with don't amount to much.  It's less important (not important at all) in games like FF4 or FF8.  It's one thing if a game like World of Warcraft does something that encourages gamers to leave their MMO of choice to try it out, that's just life when it comes to competition in the MMO space.  It's another thing for SE to cannibalize itself.

Not that I'd expect FFXI to make any serious dent in FFXIV's playerbase, but any dent is enough to make me wonder why they're doing it.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

I could be wrong but they are separate monthly subscription fee's right?  People will most likely pick one, not pay for both.

Playerbase in an MMO is important, multiplayer games without people to play with don't amount to much.  It's less important than say... FF4 or FF8.  It's one thing if a game like World of Warcraft does something that encourages gamers to leave their MMO of choice to try it out, that's just life when it comes to competition in the MMO space.  It's another thing for SE to cannibalize itself.

Not that I'd expect FFXI to make any serious dent in FFXIV's playerbase, but any dent is enough to make me wonder why they're doing it.

Yes, the subscription fees are paid separately.

Speaking of the player base, FF11 nowadays is way much solo-friendly than decades ago, so the player base is not an issue anymore. Most main story related contents are solo-able except the last boss of Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, which is an add-on released in 2015. It's tricky but still kinda solo-able with specific Faith NPCs. For those who are only interested in the story, it won't take more than 3 months to finish the main game and all expansions & add-ons.

To be honest the large popularity and the fast pace routines of FF14 sometimes could make players hard to breath and wish to take a break. The community of FF11 (so far as I know) is much more friendly and less salty than FF14 maybe because (1) According to my personal experience, most players I've meet, no matter what language they speak, are pretty nice. It's almost impossible to have such a multi-lingual community in FF14, think about the notorious Tonberry server; (2) You don't have to deal with random players as often as FF14 (say the daily roulette and hunting targets) and (3) It's not that difficult to find a Link Shell or a Discord channel. It is necessary to make such a "dent" for some "light-core" players (like me), or they will no longer be a customer of SE

30 minutes ago, Astray404 said:

Yes, the subscription fees are paid separately.

Speaking of the player base, FF11 nowadays is way much solo-friendly than decades ago, so the player base is not an issue anymore. Most main story related contents are solo-able except the last boss of Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, which is an add-on released in 2015. It's tricky but still kinda solo-able with specific Faith NPCs. For those who are only interested in the story, it won't take more than 3 months to finish the main game and all expansions & add-ons.

To be honest the large popularity and the fast pace routines of FF14 sometimes could make players hard to breath and wish to take a break. The community of FF11 (so far as I know) is much more friendly and less salty than FF14 maybe because (1) According to my personal experience, most players I've meet, no matter what language they speak, are pretty nice. It's almost impossible to have such a multi-lingual community in FF14, think about the notorious Tonberry server; (2) You don't have to deal with random players as often as FF14 (say the daily roulette and hunting targets) and (3) It's not that difficult to find a Link Shell or a Discord channel. It is necessary to make such a "dent" for some "light-core" players (like me), or they will no longer be a customer of SE

I mean, in fairness FFXIV is probably one of the nicest communities I've played in as far as MMO's go.  If people don't like certain parts of FFXIV, then I'd think SE's priority would probably be finding ways to improve the newer game, with millions of players, and where a lot of their resources are going... versus randomly trying to revive the older MMO and cannibalizing XIV's playerbase.

I get why you're probably excited about it, FFXI is special to a lot of XIV players and I'm sure they want to see it come back too.  But that's kinda my point about subtracting from XIV in the process.

EDIT: If there's a lot of people out there vocally telling SE that either they need to start supporting FFXI with new content again or they quit... then I guess it makes sense (it'd have to be A LOT of people).  It's also an ode to the lengths SE will go to make their fans happy.  It's kind of a tough thing though, because you have to know they can't keep on supporting FFXI forever.  If they do another multiplayer Final Fantasy followup to XIV in the future, that'll be three MMO's they have to keep going all siphoning from the same player pool.

Edited by Dreakon13

3 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I mean, in fairness FFXIV is probably one of the nicest communities I've played in as far as MMO's go.  If people don't like certain parts of FFXIV, then I'd think SE's priority would probably be finding ways to improve the newer game, with millions of players, and where a lot of their resources are going... versus randomly trying to revive the older MMO and cannibalizing XIV's playerbase.

The thing is, for some community issues, they couldn't because the environment varies a lot. The Primal DC where I used to stay is fine, but my friends in Elemental DC always complain a lot about the community. The Tonberry discrimination issues in FF14 has been for years, but SE still refuses to add another DC or did some player transferring for Asian/Australian players who could only speak English.

Besides, FF11 has a pretty stable community. There's no need to revive, it's still alive and there are around 100k active players. And SE doesn't randomly update FF11: There are monthly updates adding new contents and events. This time it's an episode-based add-on patch

5 minutes ago, Astray404 said:

The thing is, for some community issues, they couldn't because the environment varies a lot. The Primal DC where I used to stay is fine, but my friends in Elemental DC always complain a lot about the community. The Tonberry discrimination issues in FF14 has been for years, but SE still refuses to add another DC or did some player transferring for Asian/Australian players who could only speak English.

Besides, FF11 has a pretty stable community. There's no need to revive, it's still alive and there are around 100k active players. And SE doesn't randomly update FF11: There are monthly updates adding new contents and events. This time it's an episode-based add-on patch

Fair enough, I was under the impression that content for FFXI has slowed down since its last expansion pack.  It doesn't really change the fact that FFXIV is the money maker at the moment though and probably warrants building on if there are issues to address.

I think the English-speaking Asian/Australian thing is a very specific issue that probably wouldn't spur SE to start spending more than usual on an entirely different MMO to tackle.

Edited by Dreakon13