PlayStation 5: Answering your questions on compatible PS4 peripherals & accessories

ziggypossum

47 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

So you can use PS4 controllers for PS4 games on PS5, but you have to use dualsense controller for ps5 games? 

I guess that's one way to ensure Dualsense controller sales...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this was the same for every previous PlayStation. DS1s would play PS1 titles on PS2, but PS2 games required DS2. The PS3 introduced the sixaxis, and then the DS3, but those had a different connector and I don't remember if the DS2s would work on a PS3 game. I have the adapter and DS2 controllers, I'll have to try that out, but I'm pretty sure they didn't work.

PS4 doesn't let you use DS3's on PS4 games either. You need to pick up an adapter to even get it to work and then compatibility was determined on if a game required touchpad input.

I always took the DS4 will work on PS5 as they'll work for PS4 games on PS5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this was the same for every previous PlayStation. DS1s would play PS1 titles on PS2, but PS2 games required DS2. The PS3 introduced the sixaxis, and then the DS3, but those had a different connector and I don't remember if the DS2s would work on a PS3 game. I have the adapter and DS2 controllers, I'll have to try that out, but I'm pretty sure they didn't work.

PS4 doesn't let you use DS3's on PS4 games either. You need to pick up an adapter to even get it to work and then compatibility was determined on if a game required touchpad input.

I always took the DS4 will work on PS5 as they'll work for PS4 games on PS5.

I mean, don't get me wrong. It makes complete sense, and as you mentioned, it's unusual for Sony to allow older controllers on newer systems. I just hope that PS5 games take advantage of the capabilities or it's going to feel like a more expensive DS4. 

• Like 2

Fantastic news!!! It was going to be hard enough getting 3rd party devs to support haptics and reactive triggers given MS dropped the ball on adding these features, but telling devs, especially of multiplayer games, that even PS5 player’s may not have access if using old controllers would have further damaged uptake for these great features.

On 8/3/2020 at 0:00 PM, dzstrpc said:

Nothing about the future of VR. DualSense controller don't seem VR-Compatible to me since it lacks a lightbar.

My guess is they'll announce new motion controllers that will replace the Moves.

There are patents online if you google.

https://hothardware.com/news/sony-patent-for-motion-controller

I'm hopeful for new VR controllers for whatever PSVR 2 looks likes. It was smart of them to repurpose PS3 move controllers for VR use, but the technology and design is showing its age and limitations when compared to other VR headsets. 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know yet if the new PS5 camera is compatible with the PSVR?

Or can you only use the old PS4 camera with the PSVR (but you need that special adapter they were talking about)?

I would get the new PS5 camera if it was compatible with PSVR, otherwise if only the PS4 camera is compatible with the PSVR then I'll probably skip the PS5 camera.

Edited by DysectorZA