PS4 unrecognizable disc help

Ultraxian

So my PS4 has been doing this weird thing when I put a disc in then comes up as unrecognizable. I made a video of it doing it and was wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be. The black disc grabbers are good and don't stick on anything and the rollers and the little white stick between are in the right place and it's starting to annoy me. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Ultraxian said:

So my PS4 has been doing this weird thing when I put a disc in then comes up as unrecognizable. I made a video of it doing it and was wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be. The black disc grabbers are good and don't stick on anything and the rollers and the little white stick between are in the right place and it's starting to annoy

does it do it to only that one game or just all discs? as it might be the disc of the game you got if not then it might be a problem with the ps4 not holding the disc in right as it keeps making them random sounds that they only make if the inside of it does not do unless there is a harddrive failure or the disc drive problem. but it is more a disc drive failure.

This happened to me a couple of years ago. I have read that for some people something got stuck in the driver. For me this was not the case, so I had someone take a look at it and he said it probably wasn't fixable and at least for me,  the cost for someone to actually try to fix it would not be that less expensive than buying a new PS4 (the slim version, that is) so I ended up getting a new PS4 because of this, but hopefully you can get it fixed somehow.

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

Could possibly be an issue with the BD lens. Testing a DVD or CD would definitely help troubleshoot the drive.

I've had PS2s that can't read dual-layer DVDs (AKA most larger games), and my PS3 currently can't read DVD discs, unsure about blu-ray. xD

13 minutes ago, NERVergoproxy said:

I think your PS4 is tired laying down, try standing it upright....

And this actually helped with the PS2 I had sometimes. I have many PS2s though.

• Like 1

I have this actually, and the only thing that helps is to slap it while it is reading the disc to start a game (or after inserting it)

Irritating, but works, been doing this for a year now so not life-threatening to your ps4 or anything like that...

6 hours ago, Ultraxian said:

So my PS4 has been doing this weird thing when I put a disc in then comes up as unrecognizable. I made a video of it doing it and was wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be. The black disc grabbers are good and don't stick on anything and the rollers and the little white stick between are in the right place and it's starting to annoy me. 

Cheers

Have you tried other game discs?

I know it wasn't an auto-eject issue, but have you tried this method? ?

Thanks for all your support. It mainly does it with crash n sane trilogy other discs are a bit temperamental. I have heard and seen a few videos that say/show having the PS4 standing up or at a slight angle help it. I will try the method in the video and g t back to you.

3 hours ago, Allejohan said:

the cost for someone to actually try to fix it would not be that less expensive than buying a new PS4 (the slim version, that is) 

This sounds like you were being lied to - getting a hold of a replacement disc drive is easy online, usually for around $40-$60, and can be replaced at home for the cost of a couple of screwdrivers and an hour of your time.

• Like 3

not an expert on this and this never happen to me on ps4 nor ps3, I don't know what is causing this but it doesn't seems to be the BD lens is dying since it's still managed to read the disc although ( Unrecognizable ) because in terms of a dead or dying lens the ps4 or ps3 will not gonna read stuff at all as the consoles will just gonna make some clicking noises, eject and pull the discs back to re-read it again and then shows you the error message of make sure the disc label is on the top or try another disc stuff.

this screen only shows to me when I put a ps4 disc on the ps3 or vice versa.

This happened to me on my pro - really annoyed me. Simple and cheap fix - replace the disc drive. I got mine off Amazon new for around £20 - installation was easy enough, just open the PS4 and literally swap it out. Took about 25 mins to replace and it's worked perfectly since.

If you do this though, ensure you buy the right drive as the phat, slim and pro all have different models - but they're not married to the board, so swapping them out is fine.

9 hours ago, turniplord said:

This happened to me on my pro - really annoyed me. Simple and cheap fix - replace the disc drive. I got mine off Amazon new for around £20 - installation was easy enough, just open the PS4 and literally swap it out. Took about 25 mins to replace and it's worked perfectly since.

If you do this though, ensure you buy the right drive as the phat, slim and pro all have different models - but they're not married to the board, so swapping them out is fine.

That might actually be just what I end up doing. I'll check eBay for a slim disc drive and replace it. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/8/2020 at 5:23 PM, Ultraxian said:

Cheers

I'm facing the same exact issue. I managed to find an easy, yet no definitive neither long-term solution as is to tap the upper part of the console while reading the disc. However, I'm considering sending it to an official Sony customer support to see what it is and to fix it. Bad side is that cost around $135 USD, so not really sure if it'll be worth. Also, I'm not so good with technical and FIY stuff. 

Did you find a solution into this problem? What I'm amused more than nothing, is the potential that the console will eventually scratch the discs and thus making them rubble due this. Would like to see if in the time somebody came to a solution to this.