Indie Publisher Says Smaller Games Aren't Selling on PlayStation 4

ShadeSplit

17 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

More choice? Listing just before plus and now release games? Visibility of marketing?

2 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Don't know what he was expecting, 25 for a shitty indie is already too much, in my experience, indie devs tend to be much more greedy and with unreasonable expectations than AAA developers, sometimes  you get a diamond in a rough, such as hollow knight, furi, hotline miami etc, but there's a reason they've not caught the eye of established gaming companies in the first place.

These^

If the marketing wasn't borderline non-existent and the price wasn't set at a level that's too high for a punt, then maybe these games would sell better.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

It's an indie procedural generated card game. Those are becoming a dime a dozen ever since Slay the Spire hit it big. What does his game bring to the table that others in the genre don't?

Ya I honestly wanted to try Nowhere prophet and was going to wait until I finish the 2 games I am currently working on but apparently there are some extremely annoying game mechanics I saw in reviews that I would rather avoid.  

There are really good Roguelike card games out there like Monster train and Slay the spire but there is a lot of crap. I have 10-15 roguelike card games on PC and maybe 3 of them are worth playing over and over like Roguelikes should be, the others are usually fun for one run then I am over it.

Unless you built a way better game, filled a void or put a pretty good twist on an existing idea, just making a fairly polished game while following the money isn't going to sell. Just because it isn't broken, looks nice and plays alright doesn't mean it will sell thousands of copies.

• Like 3

I've only recently gained an interest in CCG on the PS4 and although i've no experience with them have made a note to try Nowhere Prophet at some point in the future.

I'm certainly waiting for a sale as my current backlog is big enough but the completely offline platinum has me interested, if anyone else has offline CCG suggestions on the PS4/Vita please let me know.

5 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

I don't usually do this but I'm tempted to send this dude the thread

I have a feeling he's too close to the situation to look at it objectively. By blaming PS4 owners, he's shown just how out of touch he is with reality.

35 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

What does his game bring to the table that others in the genre don't?

His game comes pre-loaded with self-righteous entitlement. I think there's plans for some transphobic DLC down the line.

Edited by Helyx
  • Like 1

The guy's Twitter is obnoxious (no offense to him)

He released his game on sale on other consoles and not PSN and his Playstation Store page was bare-bones and had outdated information on it according to people responding to his tweet. 

If you get a deal with Sony or Microsoft to promote your game, then that is great publicity for you as an indie game. But, at the end of the day, you are in charge of marketing your own game. :dunno: 

• Like 4

Well i linked him this thread maybe he will learn a thing or two about why people are not parting with there money.

This below explains why no discount on PS4

We weren't allowed to do a launch discount on PS4, because they told us they're too busy to be able to add such a thing right now :\\

Edited by The_Retro_Maniac

I do buy a lot of indie games, but this just doesn't look like the kind of game I would play, can't buy every game.
And you look on like 50+ pages on Playstation Store you could probably tell how many indie games probably don't sell too well.
I mean Dust Elysian tail I believe was made by a small indie team could be wrong, but I do believe that game sold well.

Two things come to mind when Indie games don't sell well. 

Either they want too much money, or they don't advertise their game that well. A lot of AAA games put their budget towards marketing, in some cases outright lying to draw in buyers.

21 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

The guy's Twitter is obnoxious (no offense to him)

He released his game on sale on other consoles and not PSN and his Playstation Store page was bare-bones and had outdated information on it according to people responding to his tweet. 

If you get a deal with Sony or Microsoft to promote your game, then that is great publicity for you as an indie game. But, at the end of the day, you are in charge of marketing your own game. :dunno: 

This was his reply for it not being on sale on PSN

Edited by lordzeze

4 minutes ago, lordzeze said:

This was his reply for it not being on sale on PSN

That strange considering Dragon Marked for Death got a launch discount just a few weeks ago. Maybe the representative he talked to didn't want to go through the steps to do a discount.

Edited by Wavergray
  • Like 1