Indie Publisher Says Smaller Games Aren't Selling on PlayStation 4

ShadeSplit

Indies should usually be cheap. Because there is ALWAYS sales where well known titles /franchises are £$10 or so. The majority of gamers will leave it alone regardless of quality.

They gotta fight for attention via the "look im cheap take a chance on me" way because most cant afford major advertising. 

The diamonds in the rough are great when you find them, but i dont wanna spend all my money/time looking.

Plus the game in question looks meh. Stop moaning. Use that energy to make something better. 

• Like 1

Just now, RedDevil757 said:

If you base your opinion purely on graphics then you'll miss some fantastic games

Price is more important to me, and twenty five bucks is a lot to gamble on a game that looks underwhelming to me, personally.

• Like 4

its an indie rouge-lite procedural generated game with card game elements.

we have had slay the spire for over a year now anyone who wanted that in a game has already got it. 

i also heard nothing about this game and i'm pretty into the indie scene of games and know others are as well. there's just also a major lack of marketing for it. 

I'm not going to buy this junk for $33 when I can buy something like Judgement or Control right now for cheaper. There are also mobile games that look far better than this that I would rather play. Games like Cuphead and Hyper Light Drifter are indie and I'm sure they sold well enough because those are good indie games that people actually want to play.

• Like 1

From reading what he said it seems some of the games they were talking about and complaining about it is kind of dum, I mean looking seeing from what others said and looking on the psn store it is just being salty as the type of game he is trying to sell and the price is abit too much, not many people like them kinds of games unless it is a AAA game or something that has a name that a lot of people pick up like Xcom or Command and Conquer the price needs to be cheaper than £27.99 or £17, if you want to make people come it should be around like around £10 or £7.99 as it makes people more willing to take a chance and so on.

This dude is acting like bloodly Phil Fish in the way he is acting. I mean all games on steam that is indie are cheap and they know that trying to do something cheap will bring in people to buy their game bitching and moaning about it to people saying that ps4 players are not up buy their game and so on is just being childish.

Edited by KANERKB
  • Like 2

I saw that on twitter, and the fact you have to dig to even find out what game he’s talking about is funny. To me that says most of it. They’re really bad at marketing their own game, also poor timing given Cuphead came out on PS4... And it’s cheaper than this game. 

not their fault Cuphead dropped out of nowhere, but that was all over the place prior to even being confirmed. I literally never heard of their game before, not even on Steam. And I actually check that store. 

I do think PS Store is god awful for browsing games though. The organization is terrible, it’s functionally slow, unstable and inconsistent. Sony should fix that with PS5, but UI design is trash all across the board. Everybody sucks at it now. 

• Like 2

I almost only buy indie titles, but then again, I'm also one of those with the most "obscure" trophies in the world I guess. Nowhere near the most mind you, but point is, it's because I play so many of those indie games, and they don't always seem to be selling that much. Put them up decently priced, without a ridiculous trophy list and I know a lot of people here would buy them.

2 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I do think PS Store is god awful for browsing games though. The organization is terrible, it’s functionally slow, unstable and inconsistent. Sony should fix that with PS5, but UI design is trash all across the board. Everybody sucks at it now. 

I buy a lot of games in the store, and I spend a lot of time on it. Finding games you want to buy should be easy. If I'm not interested in the latest hottest AAA, please don't push it on me. I know what I like, so let me filter and sort etc properly. Even the sorting by price doesn't work properly because it doesn't take into consideration discounts and PS+ discount etc, which has always been super frustrating to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I saw that on twitter, and the fact you have to dig to even find out what game he’s talking about is funny. To me that says most of it. They’re really bad at marketing their own game, also poor timing given Cuphead came out on PS4... And it’s cheaper than this game. 

not their fault Cuphead dropped out of nowhere, but that was all over the place prior to even being confirmed. I literally never heard of their game before, not even on Steam. And I actually check that store. 

The PS store UI is miles better than the eShop one. The eShop's UI is utter garbage.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Their games, apparently.

Not sure why so many people feel the need to express their situations as a universal matter.

My thoughts exactly. His game didn't sell well, but the generalization does not seem to be based on any facts. I do wonder about the reason behind the disparity between the sales on Switch and PS4 though. That is a big difference.

5 hours ago, Martain2 said:

I've only recently gained an interest in CCG on the PS4 and although i've no experience with them have made a note to try Nowhere Prophet at some point in the future.

I'm certainly waiting for a sale as my current backlog is big enough but the completely offline platinum has me interested, if anyone else has offline CCG suggestions on the PS4/Vita please let me know.

If you haven't tried Slay the spire it is the best you can get on the PS4 for offline card games, honestly probably the best on PC as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wavergray said:

$25 is a steep risk to take on any game, and at this point i'm sure a lot of ps4 players have plenty of games to play so why take the risk?

Exactly. I typically won't even purchase AAA games until they drop below $20, and my HDD is full to bursting already.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iGGTheEnd said:

If you haven't tried Slay the spire it is the best you can get on the PS4 for offline card games, honestly probably the best on PC as well.

I'm completely new to them and haven't tried a single one, do you know if all the trophies are offline and if there's plans for any/anymore DLC?

56 minutes ago, Martain2 said:

I'm completely new to them and haven't tried a single one, do you know if all the trophies are offline and if there's plans for any/anymore DLC?

There is one trophy for finishing a daily challenge which I think needs internet connection but it is single player.

They just recently added a DLC character after a year but her trophies can be done in an hour I don't know if they plan on more characters but if they do add more they should only take an hour to do.  I doubt there will be more characters as it took over a year just to add the newest.

• Like 1

ps4 users are so busy with Ghost of Tsushima and all of these exclusive and other recent stuff like Destroy All Human Remake Fall Guys, Cuphead etc. no one is having time to spend with these cloned card battle games and over saturated market of 8-bit style indie games unless if the price is right, but selling your super small game for around $25 is ridiculously high for what you're selling, Cuphead is also comes out around that time on the ps4 and a lots of people went and grabs it.

i'm pretty sure the ps4 have way too many games to chose from in the store more than the XBONE and Switch and it's hard to notice a specific game in the store unless it was trending like crazy in the Internet and gained more attention.

I saw this GOTY of his and no offense, it's really mediocre! aaaannnd it's a card battle game, Go Figure! ?

to me this gener is the bottom of the barrel least favorite type of games, the only card battle game I ever played for around 60 hours was Qurare Magic Library back in 2017 when we first got the ps4, the real reason why I played that is due to it being free to play and also we got the ps4 with no game so I went downloading anything says Free in the store and the reason why I sunked around 60 hours into it is because the daily prizes and I was trying to get some of the grindy trophies for it... now the server for Qurare have been shut down and there's no point in keeping it on my ps4.

he claims that even on the XBONE his game is selling better ( without telling how much ) which is weird since the XBONE is mostly about shooters and online gaming , not to mention it's install base is really small now days,  and only god knows what have pushed switch owners to buy this game like crazy, I mean they're not that desperate... the game actually looked like a mobile game and this is probably felt at home on the switch so there's that.

seriously, Marvel's Spider-Man Game of the Year Edition is $19.99 on the NA PS Store right now, with that $25 you can go get spider man right now instead if you haven't played it yet. 

Edited by yellowwindow7
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Am I the only who mainly uses the PC storefront instead of the console one?