So. Xbox Live Gold is...*not* Free.

Starcade_Legend

I haven’t had an Xbox Live Gold subscription active for I don’t know how long, now.  As I was playing Gears 5 campaign on my One X, I clicked on multiplayer mode (loosely by accident).  Lo and behold...I was able to get online and play a match!  I instantly tried a number of other online games, and...they all worked!  Shots fired by Microsoft before the State of Play?  ?

Anyone else notice this?

P.S.  I don’t have an Xbox Live Gold nor a GamePass Subscription.

Edited by DaivRules
Grammar/Punctuation

6 minutes ago, evs_castro said:

If i remember correctly, they had reported a few days ago that they would make Multiplayer free for everyone, not requesting a Gold membership anymore.

So this is it, this is their direction, I guess.  Anyone think SONY will follow them?  ? I don’t think it’s likely, but I DO see them rolling PS+ and PS Now into a nice little ‘one complete package‘ price, in response...?

21 minutes ago, Starcade_Legend said:

So this is it, this is their direction, I guess.

It was only rumored and MS has already said they don't plan to change XBL Gold, just yesterday.

This is most likely some unannounced free weekend thingy or a glitch. A mexican user on resetera says MP is not free in his region.

EDIT.

Also seeing reports that it only works with Xbox One games, 360 games still require gold.

Edited by HAILtoSTARSCREAM
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Starcade_Legend said:

So this is it, this is their direction, I guess.  Anyone think SONY will follow them?  1f633.png I don’t think it’s likely, but I DO see them rolling PS+ and PS Now into a nice little ‘one complete package‘ price, in response...1f914.png

6 hours ago, HAILtoSTARSCREAM said:

As expected, just a one off thing. Gold ain't going nowhere.

https://www.xbox.com/en-au/xbox-game-pass/big-gaming-weekend

The idea of Microsoft, who implemented requiring Gold for MP a generation before Sony did suddenly making it not required anymore got a laugh out of me.

• Like 2

Microsoft will never make online play free - they've been gouging people's wallets for years, that's what they do best. While Sony had their online services for free, Microsoft found a way to rip people off. Sad thing is, stupid people like me never knew what Sony was offering and simply coughed up the subscription year after year after year because we just assumed it was how it is. Unfortunately though, because Microsoft had been getting away with it for years, Sony then had to implement it too. Thank god I eventually saw the light though when Microsoft announced the "always online" Xbox One. And now seeing how they're trying to push this Game Pass thing, I'm so glad I shifted across to Sony. I'm not saying Sony are a perfect company by any means, but compared to Microsoft just about ANY company is better.

Edited by A_Tennis_Giraffe
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

If they keep this going for the new Xbox it alone could be a good reason to go back to Xbox. Providing this time around they make some great games worth going back to the console for. 

What...like the cell-phone/easy-stream/micro transaction-riddled version of their flagship title, Halo Infinite?  I’ll pass...but I WILL be there Day One if Microsoft decides to make a Gears of War  1 Ultimate Edition on PS5.

Free Online, Games-As-A-Service, ‘Play Anywhere On Anything’...it will never be enough to dominate the home console market.

On 8/18/2020 at 6:46 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

If they keep this going for the new Xbox it alone could be a good reason to go back to Xbox. Providing this time around they make some great games worth going back to the console for. 

What do you mean? Them removing the 12 month Gold subscription and forcing people to use the more expensive monthly subs or ultimate and still not removing f2p games from the online paywall is making you want to go back to Xbox? 

Cool.Cool. Cool.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

What do you mean? Them removing the 12 month Gold subscription and forcing people to use the more expensive monthly subs or ultimate and still not removing f2p games from the online paywall is making you want to go back to Xbox? 

Cool.Cool. Cool.

This is totally spot on. Microsoft deciding to remove the cheapest way of buying gold and forcing people to either fork over more money or go with game pass ultimate is such a scummy move. That’s not even getting into the fact that their exclusives are pretty much terrible these days and all are available on PC where multiplayer is free. There’s literally no reason to own an Xbox anymore. 

• Like 4

On 8/21/2020 at 2:29 PM, ZJW44 said:

This is totally spot on. Microsoft deciding to remove the cheapest way of buying gold and forcing people to either fork over more money or go with game pass ultimate is such a scummy move. That’s not even getting into the fact that their exclusives are pretty much terrible these days and all are available on PC where multiplayer is free. There’s literally no reason to own an Xbox anymore. 

Thank You! Somebody finally gets it.

I loved the Xbox 360. But now? Not interested in their upcoming Xbox console. Didn't get the Xbox One due to the debacle Microsoft had.

Phil Spencer..... you are a clown.

• Like 2