Mandatory delisting warning on PSN

6 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

Been looking at certain DLC's to buy and I found out that it was delisted long ago. 

Anyone else feel like they should give you a warning right when you sign on to the PSN?

Ie:

This is your last chance to buy (whatever game or dlc) before it's delisted and gone forever on ##/##/####

probably wont happen, because these delistings come out of nowhere most of the time. Main reason is the publisher has lost the trademark rights.

Yeah, but doesn't PlayStation get a notice from a developer to take it down? 

Cant they leave it in the store and put an announcement till it hits 12am and then take it down since it's the next day?

Or when they do announce it in advance a lot of people like me don't really keep up with gaming news. Not now cause of COVID. I have time now.

3 minutes ago, Mori said:

Which games are we talking about here?

I was wondering the same thing. He's asking for a warning from the PS Store, but wont mention a single game or DLC he was looking for that was supposedly delisted.

6 minutes ago, Mori said:

Which games are we talking about here? PS3 games that are old as f, or more recent games like 2-3 years old?

I was looking for Ultimate Alliance 2 dlc and some other game DLC's.

Edit: Plus it doesn't matter what I'm looking for. I just wish there was some way to get this idea to Sony and not be waved off. 

Edited by The_Mighty_Ducks
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

I was looking for Ultimate Alliance 2 dlc and some other game DLC's.

Edit: Plus it doesn't matter what I'm looking for. I just wish there was some way to get this idea to Sony and not be waved off. 

They actually did mention MUA2 DLCs delisting on the psn store the month it was being removed a long time ago, but yea it would be nice that companies or Sony would give a “last call” for whatever game or DLC, there’s only been a few times it’s even happen where there was a notice 

So many things they can do like

- Make atleast a 1 day notice before taking it down and/or e-mail us about it. 

- Make all DLCs as a stand-alone trophy list and not part of the main 100%. 

- Make developers to put an option on obtaining MP trophies for SP..just like Mass Effect where I believe you have the option of reaching level 20 online or level 60 offline. Even though it's triple the requirement but atleast we have an option for after the server closure. 

- Put a message on the app image or upon starting the game that some DLCs are unavailable. 

I can go on and on but like NERV said..if only it was a perfect world.. 

5 hours ago, Helyx said:

Every bit of information matters because it helps everyone.

Lol what more kind of information do you need for a simple "warning for any game or dlc becoming delisted"

Now if you're saying how they should notify users. Then I can understand wanting more information. 

Like do you look at the top right news bar for info or would you rather have a pop up window right when you log onto the PSN? 

5 hours ago, BDevil9 said:

- Make developers to put an option on obtaining MP trophies for SP..just like Mass Effect where I believe you have the option of reaching level 20 online or level 60 offline. Even though it's triple the requirement but atleast we have an option for after the server closure. 

- Put a message on the app image or upon starting the game that some DLCs are unavailable. 

1. A 1 day notice still wouldn't be enough, as many people don't have the money on hand just like that. If they do ever make a notice, I feel a month notice is ideal. That way, even if it isn't discounted, we at least have a chance to buy it in due time.

2. This kills the purpose of it being DLC, and is unfair to the people who got it done. If anything, it would be better if they can make a price cut. I'd be more inclined to buy a game or DLC that was half off rather than at full price, especially if it is in the $15 - $20 price range for DLC, or $40 for a game.

3. The only other game with such a feature is Brütal Legend. I agree that it is nice having an alternative, but the difficulty for one win is enough to put me off. I would rather not start it or leave it incomplete. When you are tasked with 50 wins in MP and your only other alternative is beating the AI on the hardest setting 50 times, the answer is no.

4. I think this is more laziness on the developers part, as they could easily release a patch just stating so. It doesn't take much just to add a small patch update saying its gone in a few days time. I remember when Guitar Hero was still up, they would still advertise the DLC, when it has already been delisted.

7 hours ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

Been looking at certain DLC's to buy and I found out that it was delisted long ago. 

Anyone else feel like they should give you a warning right when you sign on to the PSN?

Ie:

This is your last chance to buy (whatever game or dlc) before it's delisted and gone forever on ##/##/####

If you're talking about PS3, try to search it in the ps store website. 

There are many dlcs that you can't find on the ps3 store from the console directly for some reason, but they aren't delisted. 

If you buy them from the website, you can download them through the download history on your console (even after you bought them they don't show up in the console store) 

5 hours ago, BDevil9 said:

1) I think there should be a Last Chance section in the store for items about to be delisted and their dates.  This won’t work for everything as some items have to get pulled immediately for copyright infringement like Scene It: Movie Night.

2) Changing it at this point would make things more confusing.

3) Don’t think I like the idea of two completely different set of requirements being able to unlock the same trophy, especially where one might be way easier than the other.  But if a developer wants to institute it, it is their option.

4) Don’t want a pop-up message which would clutter.  But a Last Chance section works.  I don’t see this being implemented at this point for PS3 or PS4.  Maybe PS5.  And again, it won’t cover the immediate delistings.

Edited by djb5f

Like they announce for game servers, but for delisting content? (https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/legal/gameservers/)

As delisting is usually the result of failed legal negotiations, many of those negotiations go up to the absolute last minute. Some are known ahead of time, and those are generally posted in the description in the store.

Are you asking for every user who logs into to the store be spammed with delisting messages for content that the majority don't care about? That doesn't really make sense for the incredibly small number of people impacted.

A realistic and useful approach would be to build it into the Wish List and make it a Wish List feature. If you have a game in your Wish List AND there is a date known for it's delisting, email the email address on file as soon as that date is known with that information. Then people will have been given the information as soon as it's known and will have the responsibility of acting on it.

None of this would help that you were looking just now for DLC that was delisted a long time ago though...

19 minutes ago, Roronora_Zoro666 said:

4. I think this is more laziness on the developers part, as they could easily release a patch just stating so. It doesn't take much just to add a small patch update saying its gone in a few days time. I remember when Guitar Hero was still up, they would still advertise the DLC, when it has already been delisted.

Patches aren’t cheap.  They aren’t going to pay for a patch just to put up a notice.  Unless you mean an in-game update that does not require a software update (patch).  Many games do this, Rock Band 4 for example with what songs are about to be delisted.

• Like 1

How is what I suggested not a realistic approach? 

Its not like they delist games and dlc everyday.  And they can add a "Do not remind me again" box until there's news of a different game or DLC being taken down. 

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Like they announce for game servers, but for delisting content? (https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/legal/gameservers/)

As delisting is usually the result of failed legal negotiations, many of those negotiations go up to the absolute last minute. Some are known ahead of time, and those are generally posted in the description in the store.

Are you asking for every user who logs into to the store be spammed with delisting messages for content that the majority don't care about? That doesn't really make sense for the incredibly small number of people impacted.

A realistic and useful approach would be to build it into the Wish List and make it a Wish List feature. If you have a game in your Wish List AND there is a date known for it's delisting, email the email address on file as soon as that date is known with that information. Then people will have been given the information as soon as it's known and will have the responsibility of acting on it.

None of this would help that you were looking just now for DLC that was delisted a long time ago though...

Edited by The_Mighty_Ducks

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I actually think that would be a good idea and think Sony needs to make more use of that as it is and do stuff like email people when stuff on their wishlist goes on sale as well so they don't miss when content they want goes on sale.  It's honestly not that hard and it is going to get people to come to the store when a sale is happening, which is likely to increase sales for little trouble on their part.

However, I also do think players of games with licensed content should be aware that it can be delisted at any time.  That truly can happen with any digital only content, but it's definitely more likely with something that is licensed since they usually only have the rights for a few years and its rare for notice to be given.  Buy the DLC when you can afford it if 100% is that important.  I know I have bought DLC for games I've not even started just to ensure I have it for when I do start the game even though I know those games have a low chance of DLC being delisted.

I'm actually a bit surprised they don't have a last call type warning. I mean, if I was a developer and had paid for a license or whatever, why would I not want as many people as possible to know about the delisting so they could buy it ahead of time?

From a business perspective it makes no sense why you wouldn't want this known to generate sales.

43 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

How is what I suggested not a realistic approach? 

Its not like they delist games and dlc everyday.  And they can add a "Do not remind me again" box until there's news of a different game or DLC being taken down. 

Because that's a rather complex implementation that impacts a really insignificant percentage of users and any system engineer tasked with maintaining the Playstation store would push it down so far on the priority list, it'll never get implemented. 

Also, from a UX standpoint, as of today how many notifications do you get right when you Sign In to PSN? You shouldn't get any because if that is even capability coded into the Sign In process, and I doubt it is since Sony would just email if it's that important instead of waiting for people to Sign In to let them know, using it to sell stuff is a poor experience. Especially stuff that's been on there long enough to be delisted, and from Sonys standpoint, you probably should have bought when you wanted it and it was available.

25 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I'm actually a bit surprised they don't have a last call type warning. I mean, if I was a developer and had paid for a license or whatever, why would I not want as many people as possible to know about the delisting so they could buy it ahead of time?

From a business perspective it makes no sense why you wouldn't want this known to generate sales.

If you were a developer and worried about that, you should talk to your Publisher about negotiating better so your stuff doesn't get delisted. The real question comes down to how much money (payroll at minimum) are you going to spend on something you let relapse to be delisted? I'm betting at the amount of sales generated right before delisting is never going to recoup the additional costs, or it wouldn't be getting delisted in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...