Trumpet_Boi_208

More or Less Difficult Than Furi?

22 posts in this topic

I'd like to hear y'all's opinion on this question. This can apply both to game difficulty and platinum difficulty.

I personally thought this game was more challenging than Furi. Platinum wise, I’m not sure, as I haven’t tried to get the plat for Cuphead.

Just checked Furi’s guide, and apparently you have to quit the application every time you mess up? That alone makes it worse than Cuphead

I think both of them are easy once you get the hang of it and know what you are doing!

Furi has "speed run" trophy and overall it feels more stressful. Cuphead is hard but with instant restart, it's just about how fast you can learn the patterns. Personally I would say that Furi was harder but maybe it's caused by the "difficulty hype" around Cuphead. Don't get me wrong, IT IS HARD :D but the way people talk about it like one of the hardest games ever raised the expectations for me and I was surprised in a positive way. If they would add S-rank all bosses trophy, it would be a different story for sure. I'm a bit worried to see DLC trophy list... this can easily be one of the additions.

Posted (edited)

I've only just beaten the game and I have more done in Furi than Cuphead (I only need to S Rank Furier which is an absolute bitch) but so far I'd say for first playthroughs I would say Cuphead is a tad harder. I'll have a more informed opinion when I beat Expert vs Furier(S Rank) though.

Something folks forget about though is that there are certain things you can do/ equip to make certain things much easier. For instance, using charge shot on the Rugged run n gun makes it cake.

Edited by hishomie1

I'd like to try it for it's style, but I know I'll get no where in the game before having to give up, so I doubt it's worth it.

7 hours ago, BENJAM1N_LINUS said:

I'd like to try it for it's style, but I know I'll get no where in the game before having to give up, so I doubt it's worth it.

If you endured the BS that's Overwatch's platinum, then I'm confident you can persevere through Furi. Unlike the teammates and enemies you face in OW, Furi is actually predictable once you learn the patterns.

16 hours ago, Trumpet_Boi_208 said:

If you endured the BS that's Overwatch's platinum, then I'm confident you can persevere through Furi. Unlike the teammates and enemies you face in OW, Furi is actually predictable once you learn the patterns.

here's an example: i struggled and barely beat the first (tutorial?) boss in dark souls 3 and then couldn't get past the next samurai-like dude (who I assume was just beefy, but normal enemy- not some boss) and just dropped the game.

i'm generally competent at games, even possibly kinda good at few. by and large I'd say I'm average though, and i rarely challenge myself. i have little patience and will usually not put extra effort into "learning".  if i hit a roadblock, i quit lol.

i do think cuphead could be fun with friends on the couch so you can laugh while you rage. playing alone I just know I would get angry and not want to play haha.

So, looking at the %, am I wrong in saying this is another game, which difficulty has been extremely overhyped by gamingtm "journalists" to hide the fact they don't have a functioning brain? I might end up buying it when on sale as the game looks fun and old school-ish, I also need it to 100%  my Dark Souls Saga.

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

So, looking at the %, am I wrong in saying this is another game, which difficulty has been extremely overhyped by gamingtm "journalists" to hide the fact they don't have a functioning brain? I might end up buying it when on sale as the game looks fun and old school-ish, I also need it to 100%  my Dark Souls Saga.

I just got the plat yesterday and IMO, I would only give it a 5/10, maybe 6 at the most d/t the damn Pacifist trophy. Once you figure out what loadout works best for your playstyle and learn the boss patterns, it's really not too bad! Expert mode just gives the bosses more health and speeds things up, for the most part. I say give it a shot once you finish DSS 😉

Sorry to say tho OP, I've never played Furi so I can't compare the two!

Edited by integra_93GS-R

I've got the platinum for Furi and only played a little of Cuphead with a friend when it released on Switch. It's also hard to compare two different genres. Can't give an honest opinion on Cuphead but with Furi it's probably one of the hardest action games to platinum. The fanbase for Cuphead is much larger though so there's probably a lot more sharing of ideas and strategies to make it easier for newcomers.

If you grew up with shooters like Contra and Mega Man, Cuphead isn't that hard.  It's all pattern recognition just like the old NES games.  The difficulty was definitely overhyped because kids today didnt grow up with those old school trial and error games.

1 hour ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Well the % don't give you much since the game is Technically 3 years old. Alot of people put 100 hours on Pc already and know what they were doing. 

I will rate when i finish Cuphead. 

Furi is definitely harder. 

Speedruns, harder to get perfect ranks, no character upgrades/loadouts, more playthroughs, boss fights are way longer and harder to reset.

On 8/14/2020 at 3:53 PM, scemopagliaccioh said:

Tons of people are using exploits to pop the trophies. That's why it's so high.

So I am trying to platinum both Cuphead AND Furi this year. I WILL give my personal review plat wise and difficulty wise for both games and compare them. do note, it may be a while before I get back to this topic as I have only bought Cuphead today and have played Furi on and off for about 2 years or so. I have Beaten Furi but not got the plat yet

On 2020-08-14 at 11:11 PM, Vergil said:

Well the % don't give you much since the game is Technically 3 years old. Alot of people put 100 hours on Pc already and know what they were doing. 

I will rate when i finish Cuphead. 

Im gonna go ahead and say Furi is harder. Does not mean Cuphead is easy but Furi has more to do. 

On 28/8/2020 at 8:42 AM, aZombieDictator said:

Speedruns, harder to get perfect ranks, no character upgrades/loadouts, more playthroughs, boss fights are way longer and harder to reset.

No mate, when I asked that, the trophy rarity was also very high, and it was before such exploit was found.

In my honest opinion, from my brief experience with Cuphead and having platted Furi, I think Cuphead is harder plat-wise.

• The time trials are pretty lenient. I finished the speedrun in less than an hour, and it was kinda messy.
  • The S rank trophies are solely dependent on your KOs. If you have less than 20 total, and skip all cutscenes, then the other requirements aren't a problem. Cuphead's high ranks aren't dependent on one sole category.
  • Furi's fights are longer, but you have a MUCH larger margin for error. You have 3 tries at a phase before you fail, and you get your health back at the beginning of a phase.
  • Furi is more predictable. Some of Cuphead's bosses involve RNG deciding what phase/attack they'll do. Ex: One run, the boss could launch cluster bomb projectiles, while in a different run, they could just hurl projectiles at you.

Again, just my personal opinion.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:42 PM, aZombieDictator said:

Speedruns - The speedruns are actually quite easy. As long as you’re not getting too many game overs, then you will beat the time.

Harder to get perfect ranks - Not really. If you think about it, there are nine bosses in Furi, and the requirements for an S rank on Furier is 600 hits, 3 hours, and less than 30 KOs. If you do a little math, you can get hit roughly 66 times per boss, and even more so if you take far fewer hits than that on prior bosses. Plus, getting less than 30 KOs can fulfill the hits and time requirement on its own, so it’s not as daunting as many believe.

No character upgrades/loadouts - That is understandable, but you do have all the tools you need for success from the get go, if you look on the bright side.

More play throughs - Having to complete more playthroughs doesn’t exactly make a game more difficult to platinum.

Boss fights are way longer and harder to reset - The bosses may be longer in Furi than in Cuphead, but you have WAY WAY more margin for error than in Cuphead. For example, parries restore health, bullets can be parried, you get all your health back at the beginning of a phase, you get three tries at a boss before you have to retry the fight, and those tries get restored as you complete phases. I’ve never done the reset exploit during my time with Furi, so I can’t comment on the reset issue.

Sorry if I sound rude by saying this. I’m just nitpicking at how Furi isn’t as bad as many believe.