PS4 PRO loud fan noise

18 minutes ago, PETMAN3000 said:

Am I the only one ? My console is loud when playing ... especially when playing the third mission "Cliffhanger" (snow/ice mountain)

I had similar issues with multiple games (Horizon, God of War, most of the latest ones, actually), especially ones using HDR or 4K. The reason was dried out thermal paste on CPU - after I changed it it was as silent as it can be.

Edited by Raveniteh

53 minutes ago, Raveniteh said:

I had similar issues with multiple games (Horizon, God of War, most of the latest ones, actually), especially ones using HDR or 4K. The reason was dried out thermal paste on CPU - after I changed it it was as silent as it can be.

Hey, did you change it yourself? I have the same problem but I afraid to do it myself.

1 minute ago, anilcanballi said:

Hey, did you change it yourself? I have the same problem but I afraid to do it myself.

Yeah I did. I had to buy special screwdriver (T6A should be code for it, it's like a star shape with hole in the middle) for it tho. I was also a tad afraid, but it wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be. I used this video guide to do it and it worked out well. It went from vacuum cleaner loud to stealth mode quiet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raveniteh said:

Yeah I did. I had to buy special screwdriver (T6A should be code for it, it's like a star shape with hole in the middle) for it tho. I was also a tad afraid, but it wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be. I used this video guide to do it and it worked out well. It went from vacuum cleaner loud to stealth mode quiet.

It's actually a Torx T8H screwdriver

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Raveniteh said:

8 minutes ago, PETMAN3000 said:

It's actually a Torx T8H screwdriver

Thank you, guys. I am gonna try it tomorrow wish me luck :) 

4 hours ago, Estivee said:

Mine always sounds like a bloody jet taking off.

Doesn't even matter what game I am playing. Happens whether I'm playing GTA: San Andreas or some modern AAA game.

Then you really should change your thermal paste. 

Mine only got loud in last of us 2, god of war, days gone & modern warfare 2

this game was literally killing ps3s back in the day. same with twisted metal. the ps3 phats couldnt handle it.

what happens is the game is pulling alot of processing power at once and so your console is heating up. the fans blowing like a jet isnt really a bad thing, it means they are doing their job getting the heat out of your console. but in ps3 phats case they had bad soldering due to a restriction of not being able to use a better material so they would easy ylod if they were already prone to it

also dont change your thermal paste, its most likely ok on ps4s. people overexaggerate the use of thermal compound 

Edited by melodicmizery
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6-9-2020 at 8:49 AM, closertim said:

Mine sounded like it was going to take off the other day.  And it was in the pause menu.  

Most of the time that happens to me as well

Mainly on my previous platinum (uncharted 4) it would get extremely loud booting up & at the menu, a bit more silent during playing (but still loud enough, i dont like the tv being loud & i couldnt even hear any dialogue because my ps4 was actually louder still)

On codmw2r its not that extremely loud anymore but still 'a tad more than it used to', nonetheless since i started the game i get weird problems with my ps4, alot of 'database is damaged' popups (honestly after it being in sleep mode it starts up with like... 20 of these popups, i dont even have time to shut it off) & irregular internet connection losses, accompanied with a extremely laggy menu, only workaround seems to be to shut it off entirely, restart it (immediately reconstructs database again) but after a while it comes back

Idk if this is due to cod, but if i do anything else i never get those problems

• Like 1

I have a normal ps4, i let it be cleaned and have new thermal paste last month but some games just need a lot of power so the console gets really loud. It's annoying in games TLOU II in which i can't understand the dialogues from TV speaker but have to use Headphones instead :(

And yesterday while i played a lot of Monster Energy Supercross the console even showed a warning to turn it off cuz of heat reaching critical level. I played 10 hours with some 1 and 2 hours breaks. Room Temperature normal. Humidity also. I was a bit shocked when i read thos message. I checked the console but was dust free outside...

I really hope that the ps5 has a better = less noisy cooling system

• Like 1

It's prolly been said but I had this issue and it was getting so bad I struggled to play.. I phoned a repair guy near me and for £30 he deep cleaned and changed the thermal paste.. Now my pro is silent. Best £30 I ever spent. 

Edited by Kwotey