Vault-TecPhantom

The story has too many plot holes.

10 posts in this topic

So I platinumed Erica. It's... OK. My first playthrough was blind. I befriended and saved Tobi, killed only Dr. Lucien and left with Tobi and Kirstie so I was quite proud to get the good/best ending on my "true" playthrough. The way the game handles choice is great, even the small choices that shape the main character's personality and thus dictate the actions and dialogue options that are later available to you. 

i do think the way the story is told though is heavy handed in places and treats players like we're idiots (the flashback sequence connecting all the dots about the oleander was cringe worthy)

There's also some mediocre to poor acting. The lead , Tobi and Dr Lucien were probably the best of the lot in that regard. The rest...eesh, especially Blake. Almost felt like he was in a spoof at times. 

My main gripe with the game though is that the story has some plot holes that become harder to ignore with each subsequent playthrough. These are just some I realised but there's probably more (spoilers, obviously):

• Was Blake in on it or not? On the one hand, Mia insists he was but we see in one spy location he is questioning Dr. Ballard seemingly clueless as to what is going on, and then in another spy location which reveals him heading into the basement with Dr Lucien where Erica's mother is being kept captive. Then on the 'tell him the truth' playthrough he acts like he doesn't know what's going on again and even warns you against being too near to the drugs.

• In the 'prisoner' ending Dr. Lucien sedates Erica because he knows she has killed people prior to their confrontation, presumably via Erica's mother. If he has a 'butterfly' that can see the future why didn't he intervene sooner and prevent all the deaths?

• The timeline of how quickly the women die is inconsistent. For instance, Mia is still alive and only just dying when we first meet her despite having been a patient at delphi house years ago. Erica breathed in oleander her whole life, as explained by Mia, and is still alive so why did Hannah die so quickly?

There's also some dumb or just straight up out of character moments for the sake of dramatic effect or moving the plot forward:

• Mia says, "I would never hurt you" to Erica while pointing a gun at her...

• Why did Mia send the medallion with the severed hand without even a note to say where the lock was and then complain that Erica "threw it away"? What did she think Erica was going to do but report it to the police? 

Anyway, these are the things that bugged me. Maybe other posters who platinumed the game or have done a few playthroughs can shed some light here because to me these are glaring issues that reek of the director tying himself into knots.

14 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

So I platinumed Erica. It's... OK. My first playthrough was blind. I befriended and saved Tobi, killed only Dr. Lucien and left with Tobi and Kirstie so I was quite proud to get the good/best ending on my "true" playthrough. The way the game handles choice is great, even the small choices that shape the main character's personality and thus dictate the actions and dialogue options that are later available to you. 

i do think the way the story is told though is heavy handed in places and treats players like we're idiots (the flashback sequence connecting all the dots about the oleander was cringe worthy)

There's also some mediocre to poor acting. The lead , Tobi and Dr Lucien were probably the best of the lot in that regard. The rest...eesh, especially Blake. Almost felt like he was in a spoof at times. 

My main gripe with the game though is that the story has some plot holes that become harder to ignore with each subsequent playthrough. These are just some I realised but there's probably more (spoilers, obviously):

• Was Blake in on it or not? On the one hand, Mia insists he was but we see in one spy location he is questioning Dr. Ballard seemingly clueless as to what is going on, and then in another spy location which reveals him heading into the basement with Dr Lucien where Erica's mother is being kept captive. Then on the 'tell him the truth' playthrough he acts like he doesn't know what's going on again and even warns you against being too near to the drugs.

• In the 'prisoner' ending Dr. Lucien sedates Erica because he knows she has killed people prior to their confrontation, presumably via Erica's mother. If he has a 'butterfly' that can see the future why didn't he intervene sooner and prevent all the deaths?

• The timeline of how quickly the women die is inconsistent. For instance, Mia is still alive and only just dying when we first meet her despite having been a patient at delphi house years ago. Erica breathed in oleander her whole life, as explained by Mia, and is still alive so why did Hannah die so quickly?

There's also some dumb or just straight up out of character moments for the sake of dramatic effect or moving the plot forward:

• Why did Mia send the medallion with the severed hand without even a note to say where the lock was and then complain that Erica "threw it away"? What did she think Erica was going to do but report it to the police? 

Anyway, these are the things that bugged me. Maybe other posters who platinumed the game or have done a few playthroughs can shed some light here because to me these are glaring issues that reek of the director tying himself into knots.

What can you expect from a 2 hour game lol

9 minutes ago, Thalactus24 said:

A good story that is solely based on that? Lol, what kind of dumb question is that? :D 

40 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

From what I read, the theory is that Mia was never there and Erica was just imagining her without realizing that she actually committed the murders. It is supposedly supported with the "Prisoner" ending. That begs the question, how was the police not able to figure out it was Erica with so much evidence that would be left behind.

I honestly stopped carring after my 3rd playthrough, cause the story was really confusing and I didn't care enough to put it all together. It's funny, cause I finished the game recently and I forgot so much already. :D 

I think that you shouldn't overanalyze. 😁

It's just a B-Movie. Maybe if it was just a story with one ending it could have worked better, but with the various choices and endings something conflicts with other things and some plot holes are more evident. 

By the way, for what I have understand, I think that maybe Erica is the killer, and she has a double personality. Mia is dead, all the characters tell her that to Erica, and when the killing happens, she is always alone, like in the chief inspector house, or the house near her apartment. There is also the "it was you, it was always you" phrase that the dead father and Mia says, meaning that Erica is the real killer. How can she use a gun so well in the end? 

That's my opinion. 

Sorry if there some errors, English is not my language. 

1 hour ago, MarcusPunisher said:

A good story that is solely based on that? Lol, what kind of dumb question is that? :D 

From what I read, the theory is that Mia was never there and Erica was just imagining her without realizing that she actually committed the murders. It is supposedly supported with the "Prisoner" ending. That begs the question, how was the police not able to figure out it was Erica with so much evidence that would be left behind.

I honestly stopped carring after my 3rd playthrough, cause the story was really confusing and I didn't care enough to put it all together. It's funny, cause I finished the game recently and I forgot so much already. :D 

Could you link the analysis you read, please?

Also, you make a good point about there being too much evidence to use against Erica for the police to have not caught her sooner which is why the whole, "it was all in her head" theory makes the story even more nonsensical. Additionally, if you kill characters and not Dr. Lucien he will sedate Erica but if you don't kill you get the 'happy family' ending. So that means Dr. Lucien would still have to know that Erica murdered/didn't murder people beforehand - how did he know that if not for the butterfly/Erica's mother? And how can you get the 'happy ending' family if it's presumed that Erica was responsible for all the murders?

Why were all the girls getting nose bleeds and warning Erica about the strange things happening at delphi?

I agree with the plotholes and go a step further. The layout of the "hospital" confused me. How is the underground so damn secret you need a special key to unlock hidden walls, yet that one girl, Kirstie, just walks about freely. Also, the little hole in Mia's apartment. There's no way in hell it could see into Erica's apartment. None. 

On 8/8/2020 at 1:10 AM, Thalactus24 said:

It's like saying "What can you expect from a 2 hour movie", considering this game is basically a movie. 

By the way I agree, didn't enjoy the story at all, really forgettable.

I liked some of the characters and the acting wasn't that bad

other than that, this game is pure garbage, especially the story

would only recommend to someone who has a few hours free for an easy plat (with guide!)

On 07/08/2020 at 11:42 PM, Vault-TecPhantom said:

My take on it - and in particular regard to the above questions:

Spoiler

- I understood that Blake was told by Lucien to investigate Erica because Lucien was convinced she knows more than she is letting on. And he was also told to be careful not to incriminate anyone at Delphi House (e.g. the AJ journal that Blake took away with him). In other words he's only aware of the superficial details and not the full extent of what is going on there.

- Lucien: I would just assume that he has found out about the dead guard that Erica/Mia killed. He now has a gun pointed at his head. So unless Erica manages to convince him that it was someone else, the logical assumption for him is that she is the killer. He didn't know if/whether she was involved in the others.

- Mia: I believe she died years ago as the story says, and that the Mia we see is in Erica's head.

- Mia again: she would say this if it was Erica's inner voice/other personality.

- Mia again: only makes sense to me if Mia and Erica are one and the same. You could perhaps look at them as the classic 'angel on one shoulder, devil on the other' voices whispering to her.

Beyond all that, some other odd things people have pointed out in other threads/fora:

- Why does Erica's stomach look all bruised when she wakes up after the first night in Delphi House? My theory - she had gone upstairs after seeing the night manager alive for the last time in the game. After she goes to bed, 'Mia' personality takes over. The bruises she gets are from the night manager resisting her and/or possibly from carrying his body as she killed him that night. As to how his body ended up in the flat opposite, maybe he lived in the same block/nearby. Maybe it was his flat even, though it seems unlikely. Would need to look at the photo of his flat in the game and look for clues I guess. Anyway, she then cuts his skin off and puts it in a parcel with her doll to send to 'good Erica'. Then wanders back to Delphi House. This is mostly dependent on the locations being reasonably close to each other, which does seem to be the case judging by the relatively small amount of time that passes in game between scenes.

- Why does Mia disappear briefly in the red corridor near the end? If we assume it's part of Erica's personality, then she's disappearing because Erica is finally starting to accept who she is and that she (in my view) killed her father. She then has a moment of panic because 'Mia' disappears, and she comes back again to save her from Blake. Having done that (or if Blake isn't there, it just happens naturally), she strengthens her resolve (in the game, by taking the gun) and Mia disappears for good. Kirstie says there was nobody in the corridor afterwards and nobody else ever sees or hears Mia, including the phone calls.

- The '...it's always been you' line by both Mia and Erica's dead father can only to my mind be Erica's inner voice, suggesting that she was the one that killed her father. Most likely she was off her face on drugs at the time thanks to her father's experiments. Shortly after, she created the Mia character based on the real Mia she likely knew at Delphi House as a child, as a sort of coping mechanism with the trauma and guilt. She then convinced herself that this Mia was the killer.

- The codebook (AJ Journal): I suspect someone will have the patience to fully decode this, but from a partial translation in another thread it seems like it is just a list of patients. Probably to do with susceptibility to the drugs and/or suitability for the cult rituals (if indeed these are real, which is another discussion!). It may also link to bodies that have gone missing of patients.

Overall, my plot summary is:

- Erica's dad experimented on his wife and child. Wife tragically dies. Child develops mental disorder.

- Erica kills her father whilst hallucinating. She creates alter ego Mia.

- She grows up having convinced herself that Mia, now a shadowy assassin, was the real killer. 

- She sees somebody (the soon to be dead guy maybe, or someone/something that triggered the Mia personality) go into the flat opposite. 

- She goes looking for the guy (I forget the name), kills him and mails herself his hand with the medallion to remind her other self of her past.

- She goes to Delphi House, meets the night manager and sees the trigger symbol tattoo. The phone rings (enter 'Mia').

- She goes to bed, kills the night manager.

- Meeting the other patients the next day and receiving the skin of the night manager act as further triggers for revenge against those involved. 

- Whilst with Blake and finding the night manager's body, the phone rings again ('Mia' reinforcing her presence, or Erica justifying her actions as protecting herself).

- At the Chief Inspector's house, Erica is conveniently left alone with him. Another one down.

- The last act of the game is then Erica accepting (or not) Mia as being part of herself, aka accepting what she has done. They are close together as they discuss the best way forward, and then become one when Erica accepts her.

- The endings vary depending on what she then does as the new Erica-Mia. Does she embrace her delusions of the cult, does she ask Lucien for help, or does she try and burn down and destroy her old life.