Mgs4 compared to Mgs1-3

a10j12

Hey everyone awhile ago I played mgs 1-3. There were really great games my favourite is between 2 and 3 however for story it’s 1. I recently bought the 160 gb ps3 because when I went to download mgs4 on my old ps3 believe it or not I didn’t have enough gbs even when I deleted all other games. Anyway yesterday I fully downloaded it, Now from what I’ve heard I know it ain’t going to be as good but I would like to know how it is compared to the others before playing it. So is it like massively disappointing or is it a meh it’s alright just not as good as the others?
See you all later

8 minutes ago, SHADOW-KILLER-S2 said:

In my opinion MGS4 is the best of them. (excluding MGSV as i haven't played that yet) 

Most ppl hate on MGS4 cause of the long cut-scenes but if you like good stories then its great. Gameplay is similar as mgs3 IIRC and the graphics look still amazing for a 2008 game.

It ties all the previous games together and wraps up the story nicely so its definitely a good game.

If you go for the platinum however, its gonna take 8 playthroughs of which some can be tough but when i finally got it i felt so satisfied.

How hard would the platinum be compared to 2? Because I got that and it was easily the hardest plat I ever got mostly because of those stupid vr sniping missions (I still can’t forget that box sniper mission). Yeah I heard that it currently has longest cutscene ever put in a game. I don’t mind how long they are as long as the story’s good. 

9 minutes ago, a10j12 said:

How hard would the platinum be compared to 2? Because I got that and it was easily the hardest plat I ever got mostly because of those stupid vr sniping missions (I still can’t forget that box sniper mission). Yeah I heard that it currently has longest cutscene ever put in a game. I don’t mind how long they are as long as the story’s good. 

Imo, 4 is easier than 2

• Like 2

Mgs2s plat was only hard due to the VR missions iirc. Mgs4, gameplay wise, is the best of the 4. I have no issues with the cutscenes, but if they'd have increased the gameplay amount it would have been much better. Plat wise, id say it's more of a case of how many times you need to complete the game than anything for the ranks. The big boss run isn't too hard with save spamming. 

• Like 3

It's not a disappointment, but yes, it is a step down from the previous titles ( at least, i think it is).

Story - wise, it has its moment, especially in the last 2 acts, but i've always found the first half of the game kinda meh.

As for the gameplay, there's not too much of it in the game, but it is quite good and fun.

In terms of platinum, from what i've read ( never had a ps3, only played casually on another account) it's more about replayabilty than difficulty to obtain all the emblems. But, as i said, the gameplay is fun, so that shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Edited by Capukkion23

1 hour ago, a10j12 said:

MGS4 is easier to plat but thats only because the VR missions in MGS2 are harder. I didnt even bother with the VR missions in MGS2 cause i think theyre annoying but i still found extreme pretty hard with the 20 Metal Gear RAY fight. The bike chase on Big Boss extreme in MGS4 was tough for me too but that was the only hard thing on the highest difficulty, so if you have platted MGS2 you can plat MGS4

From a pure gameplay perspective, MGS4 is second only to 3, even if it took me a fair few playthroughs to appreciate it. As a story, it's a bloated convoluted mess, but at least the ending is a lot more satisfying than that of 2, which just loses any cathartic appeal thanks to Kojima's insistence on audience-insulting metatextual twists.

...They're all infallible masterpieces compared to 5, though.

MGS4 was my first taste of the MGS series and I love it. When it first came out I played it 8 times back to back. Yes the cutscenes are extraordinarily long but even being a newbie to the story I was hooked on it. I eventually went back after the trophy update and played it another 8 times for the Platinum. I recommend doing the 40 hour run for the first playthrough and getting the solar gun for your BBE run.

I have since played 1, 2, 3, and 5. IMO 4 and 5 handle the best control-wise. 1-3 were very hard for me until I learned the controls but would love a full remaster/ remake a la RE2 or FF7. Story-wise, it is one of my favorite despite all the nanomachines.

Edited by da-Noob123
  • Like 1

Wrote a wall of text about MGS games... Deleted it... Enjoy MGS4, it's an amazing game. You can like it or not because gladly all MGS games are kind of different and unique, everyone has different opinions as you can see so the only way to know it is playing the game... Hope you like it.

P.S. Sadly you are too late to enjoy MGO2 (Technically you can still play it but have to do a lot of extra things) that was an amazing experience...

• Like 1

MGS4 is probably my favourite of the entire series - and that's saying something, because I adore 1 and 2 as well. Truthfully, there's not a whole lot of game here, but the way MGS4 takes a "celebrated war hero" and turns him into an old and fragile man is just phenomenal. Like MGS2, the best parts of the narrative are unspoken - the best parts are what you take away from the game months, maybe even years after you originally played it. That's how MGS4 was for me.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I would say it's the weakest of the 4 games but still a very good game. Gameplay was I have no gripes and the long cutscenes don't bother me. What somehow irks me (not in a way that I actually dislike the game but definitely in a way to feel a bit *meh* which I never felt for the other three games) is the B&B squad. I don't know what it is about them but something just doesn't make me like them as I liked the bosses in the other game. And another thing that annoys me is that (as silly as it might sound) is some of the acting in the cutscenes. I literally mean the performances and not the content of the cutscenes themselves.

But all that aside it's just gripes that make me rank the game lower then the three previous installments which were all stellar games. Now if you really want a shit MGS experience play the Phantom Pain. That one to this day is the biggest piece of shit I've ever played and I mean every word of it. Best just don't play it at all. I never hated a game as much as that one.