DLC trophy thoughts

Hunt4Platinum

To speak about Permadeth, I suppose there gonna be a few settings, like start from the beginning/Ellie Seattle Day 1/Abby Seattle Day 1/ Santa Barbara (not sure about the last one though). This game is way to big to restart it entirely from the beginning in case of sudden failure. 

Btw, do you think they gonna disable checkpoints in both modes? Doesn't seems like we're gonna be forced to play it in one sit.

50 minutes ago, Bushido_Cypher said:

That's literally the trophy hunting community lol.
I see that shit so much.. "Let's have harder lists!! this is too easy." 
>Makes it harder

"Wow these are too hard, I'm boycotting the dev because they are clearly putting a target on my head over my pixelated metals."

It's a huge yikes.

The "hard" requirements aren't the problem (they probably aren't even that hard, permadeath on very easy and grounded in ng+ shouldn't be much of a challenge). I will definitely do them, because that's how I am. It's 100% only. 

The problem is the way this is handled. 

The platinum trophy is the highest tier trophy in a game, its just completely stupid to don't include difficulty trophies in the 

main list but to  put them in the DLCs. 

Back in the day it was a decent challenge on most games to achieve a platinum. Now they make the plats so easy that everyone can earn them without much effort, but the people who care about completing their games to 100% need still the same effort as back in the day (usually even more because often there are also ng+ DLC trophies), but they aren't rewarded with a plat that not everyone will achieve at the end, now they get a bronze trophy. 

It just feels like the devs who do this have 0 respect for the lifetime of the people who they expect to earn these trophies. 

The platinum trophy of GTA IV says: "Sorry for taking liberties with your time"

Some people of Naughty Dog or Sony should think about that. 

I'm curious when Ghost of Tsushima will receive it's obligatory Hardest difficulty, new game plus and permadeath bronze trophies lol

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

The "hard" requirements aren't the problem (they probably aren't even that hard, permadeath on very easy and grounded in ng+ shouldn't be much of a challenge). I will definitely do them, because that's how I am. It's 100% only. 

The problem is the way this is handled. 

The platinum trophy is the highest tier trophy in a game, its just completely stupid to don't include difficulty trophies in the 

main list but to  put them in the DLCs. 

Back in the day it was a decent challenge on most games to achieve a platinum. Now they make the plats so easy that everyone can earn them without much effort, but the people who care about completing their games to 100% need still the same effort as back in the day (usually even more because often there are also ng+ DLC trophies), but they aren't rewarded with a plat that not everyone will achieve at the end, now they get a bronze trophy. 

It just feels like the devs who do this have 0 respect for the lifetime of the people who they expect to earn these trophies. 

The platinum trophy of GTA IV says: "Sorry for taking liberties with your time"

Some people of Naughty Dog or Sony should think about that. 

I'm curious when Ghost of Tsushima will receive it's obligatory Hardest difficulty, new game plus and permadeath bronze trophies lol

I see where you come from and it is understandable, personally I stopped worrying about "plats" long time ago since Ratalaika and similar devalued them so hard, now I worry more about completion rate and on that department the game is still solid since you need to do this DLC trophies to get the 100%... This kind of remind me of the ribbons proposal for 100% games with DLC trophies...

4 minutes ago, Bushido_Cypher said:

Tbh people are silly to think Devs or Sony give a SHIT about hunters lol.

Yeah, and giving an "easy plat" is not a selling point for a game, people that goes for easy plats won't invest 60US when can get like 20+ plats easily with that money...

Edited by DeepEyes7
  • Like 1

I’m glad I have a reason to play the game again. Grounded difficulty in The Last of Us was really where the game shined the brightest in terms of gameplay. So, let’s hope this game’s grounded mode offers the same.

As far as Permadeath, this is definitely something giving some people anxiety. From the sounds of the trophy description and the fact that it is a bronze trophy, I don’t think it will be a full run of the entire game on one life, regardless of difficulty. And yes, it being a bronze trophy isn’t a 100% guarantee of anything. However, the description of the trophy combined with the fact that it is a bronze should be some sort of relief for those worried. 

I believe a big reason for some players frustration is the lack of information we have on these new difficulty features. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bushido_Cypher said:

Tbh people are silly to think Devs or Sony give a SHIT about hunters lol.

They do. There is a point in the Sony-owned AAA titles having similar trophy lists or philosophies, like leaving out difficulty-specific trophies for the DLC. Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, TLOU 2, Ghost of Tsushima. Platinums that are for everyone, which is better than catering to hardcore gamers only. Other games have the same idea like Strange Brigade.

While it is still up to the devs, trophies slow down the game's way to the second-hand market just enough to have them in the first place. There are exceptions like Order 1886 or Hellblade, yes.

Besides Sony added trophies back in 2008 for a reason. Trophies are enough of a selling point to have developer guidelines for them. And I am glad the times of certain trophies like Lost Planet 2, Move Fitness or Killzone 2 are over.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with the difficulty, it's just having to play through the entire game again (or maybe twice even?) when it's sooooooo long. It already felt like a chore doing the half playthrough for the upgrades for Platinum. Wish they'd just included it from the start and I wouldn't have minded so much.

Hopefully both trophies can be combined and the hassle somewhat diminished by being able to tweak the AI and stuff. Or the ultimate dream, someone finds a way to load up the Epilogue and switch the difficulty and 'bam'! :P

I'll wait for the guinea pigs to go first and find the optimal route!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thrillhelm said:

They do. There is a point in the Sony-owned AAA titles having similar trophy lists or philosophies, like leaving out difficulty-specific trophies for the DLC. Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, TLOU 2, Ghost of Tsushima. Platinums that are for everyone, which is better than catering to hardcore gamers only. Other games have the same idea like Strange Brigade.

While it is still up to the devs, trophies slow down the game's way to the second-hand market just enough to have them in the first place. There are exceptions like Order 1886 or Hellblade, yes.

Besides Sony added trophies back in 2008 for a reason. Trophies are enough of a selling point to have developer guidelines for them. And I am glad the times of certain trophies like Lost Planet 2, Move Fitness or Killzone 2 are over.

I guess about half way through the PS4 life cycle the philosophy changed to not include difficulty trophies in their games. Killzone Shadow Fall, Infamous Second Son, Knack, Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy had difficulty trophies. I am sure I am missing some first party games with difficulty this gen.

I would welcome a Elite difficulty from Killzone 2 again. It was so satisfying to beat. I hope it gets remastered or remade with elite difficulty. Just leave the MP trophies out.

On topic here. As much as I love TLOU part 2 I don't know if I will go for these anytime soon. I have to many unplayed games to keep playing the same game over and over.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, snakebit10 said:

I would welcome a Elite difficulty from Killzone 2 again. It was so satisfying to beat. I hope it gets remastered or remade with elite difficulty. Just leave the MP trophies out.

That's where I differ, the MP trophies in KZ2 added on top of an Elite difficulty playthrough made the platinum so enjoyable.

But that's a relic of the past, and I think having DLC trophies that are difficulty specific is a good solution. After all it's more trophies, but the target audience doesn't get repelled by hardcore trophies.

The Permadeath trophy, going by its description and grade, sounds like a run-of-the-mill "one life only, save data deleted on death" thing BUT allowing us to play on Very Easy with assists and accessibility on.

Grounded is hopefully going to be selectable for a NG+ run, doing it on NG could be even more of a "trial and error" slog.

21 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/the_last_of_us_part_ii_grounded_update

According to this you can activate permadeath mode on a chapter by chapter basis so you would only have to replay the chapter if you die. Assuming you can also play this on Ultra-Light or whatever it was called, this will be a walk in the park.

Oh, thank god! ?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, snakebit10 said:

It does not look like you can combine the 2 trophies together. 

I think you can, it seems that permadeath is a modifier you can apply to any difficulty. We will only know for sure on Aug 13 when it goes live though.

edit: I checked TLOU Strategist's live stream and yes you can do both:

uaDmaoP.png

Edited by SealedCard
  • Like 1