Considering a new account, did you ever think about that too?

YonahFuriae

TL;DR: Have you ever considered starting over due to not being happy with a few titles/milestones in your profile?

I didn't start quite well with trophies, my parents got me the PS3 on release date back in 2007, and as you guys know there wasn't trophy implementation yet. Played Genji, MGS4, Disgaea 3 etc. while waiting for more JRPG titles to come. In 2010 I got the 360 mainly because of Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu, I got it with Last Odyssey, and besides every game here having achievements, there was something that always bothered me on PS3, and it was the sawtooths, especially noticeable on Mirror's Edge on Faith hands and any border. Surprisingly there wasn't any of this on 360, after researching I was playing on a monitor/TV, and turns out the PS3 doesn't do the scaling, the TV does it, but I had a monitor, and these don't do scaling, since the PCs are the ones who manage that, 360 worked the same so it was fine with a monitor. So for that reason I got all my multiplatforms for 360, it lasted 2 years, until The Last of Us was announced and decided to come back to PS3. Got around 55,000 gamerscore in these two years, most of my favorite games I got the platinum again on PSN, Nier, Bayonetta, Fallout 3... But yeah, there's that 2 years gap I didn't do nothing, and when they implementated trophies, it wasn't for all games at first, so I wasn't motivated by that, too.

I regret not creating a new profile when The Last of Us came out, I was around level 12-13. I came from 360 after being used to complete all my games to at least 80% if not 100%, and wanted to do the same for PS3. I found this site and started planning my milestones since the 10th platinum, which was Demon's Souls, until in 2016 I got a missing timestamp on Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls, I didn't even know about these, turns out my Vita was inactive for some time, and after I got to it again there wasn't an update I didn't notice, I earned a single trophy on the game, and my milestones got screwed. This demotivated me a lot as I really love this site and how it shows the profiles and milestones. In 2016 I started college too, yet I kept doing the platinum for the games I loved, such The Witch and Hundred Knight, Labirynth of Refrain, Yomawari... And again something happened, I wanted Persona 5 to be my 50th platinum, for some reason I still regret I was playing Shenmue when I had 49. I had read there might be some trouble getting all the gacha, and when I beat the game I got the Platinum without noticing I had the rest of the trophies, I was sure I was missing gacha or secondary ones, but turns out the game didn't have that many. So I was on my second play on P5 with all social links maxed and all ready to get the Platinum, yet this happened, which I hated too since the platinum image and title for Shenmue was too lazy. A generic trophy image and the most generic title, unrelated to the game and that a lot of other lazy games use "Full Cabinet". 

Kept playing, got FFVII Remake Platinum on release week, P5 Royal, VII, VIII, Death Mark... And then I got motivated to hunting again and aim for at least a 90-95% completion. Sadly I have games such a Uncharted 2, 3, TLoU and Burnout Paradise which I didn't do the online for. This got me to another problem, there's undesirable games on my profile. Two of them played by friends while at my house while I wasn't into trophy hunting on PSN so I didn't care what my profile had, CoD with a couple trophies, and Raging Blast 2 with one. Also Lord of the Rings Conquest with maybe a couple. So I was playing Trials of Mana and Sakura Wars, games I enjoy, but so I could forget of these other games and never go back to them, I stopped to get the platinum and let them bury on my profile. Finished the Platinum of FarCry 3 and 4, Infamous 1, beat CoD2 on Veteran so I just need the Special Ops, and was working on Raging Blast 2, but I'm really not enjoying this. I'm being forced to play games I don't like, and I can't just leave them be since I want to have a good completion rate, and having to worry about them in the future. Another thing is all the games I have to almost platinium, I force myself to hold off the Platinum because of these games I don't like yet I want to finish first so they're on the bottom. BB Calamity Trigger I can get to the platinum in under an hour, for the rest, BBs, Persona Arenas, GGs, Under Night, I have finished story mode and just need one sitting to platinum all of them except for Persona and GG. 

Other things I'd lose, a 110h Disgaea 3 save, with characters at 9999 ready to platinum, yet I would play these from the start again anyway. Same for Danganronpa series, I've beat all of them, but just need additional playhtroughts/cleanup. A Star Ocean: TLH 125h save where I got the 100% spaceship data, 100% treasures (not the achievement since I didn't do the extra dungeons yet) both Ni no Kuni, first one ready for plat, second with it. MHW, probably got around 300 hours there, yet I've played around 800 each MH. More than 200h on each P5, (300 on each really, I like to play them without rushing, never using fast travel, etc.) Plat on Witch and Hundred Knight, beated Revival and just needed cleanup, beaten 2 needed cleanup, Plat on Labyrinth of Refrain. TW3, got all the gwent cards, just needed a little and easy battle trophies and DLCs. And I guess these are the ones I'd have to spend most hours once more, in most cases wasting time, like in Danganronpa that even when I'd replay them anyway, they need multiple playthroughts so I'd already have one plus the one I'm replaying for the experience.

Sorry for such a big wall of text, I have been literally two weeks debating what to do, I created the new account, and across the day my mind switches multiple times between going with the new account or forget about it. I'm sure there must be people here with the same issue, and wanted to know your experience and advice.

With a new account I'd be able to play what I like, forget these titles that my OCD forces me to play even when I don't enjoy them in the slightlest, and also aim for a 100% profile (well, close, as I couldn't help myself from playing hard games because I love them, such as Deception or Ninja Gaiden). One of my fears is wasting so much time replaying my favorite games to have on my profile again that I wouldn't have it to play new ones, or ones I've had pending forever, such all Atelier and Hyperdimension Neptunia.

• Like 3

Yes. This is my new account and @Kristen Danielle 2 is my old one, which is now my alt. I started over when the Dante's Inferno (PS3) servers went down and EA was being a brat about it. They've since come back online, but there's no telling how long that will last, so I'm not going to try it on this account.

• Like 2

Not really, I've never been at such a state where I'm not happy with my milestones or what I've done with my gaming adventures. 

In fact, I really like my profile the way it is now. It does have a ton of games I have started and not played, games with servers that have been closed, games I probably won't ever be able to complete because they are too difficult/boring/grindy/painful, and games that I don't even have a clue how the hell did they even get there in the first place, but above all that, it's been a good record of my silly gaming adventures. My adventures are not perfect and I really don't want to make them look like that either. They come with tons of missteps and bad decisions on my side, and they also come with stuff I have had very little control over, like game losing servers for example.

You see, that's one thing you'll have to contend with when you decide to start a new profile. Sure, you can plan things ahead and only play games you're sure to complete and enjoy but, sooner or later, you're probably going to be hit with a bug or something that prevents you from obtaining a trophy. Or maybe, a game's server could end up closing down forever without you noticing. Frankly, I feel that's too much stress to be worrying about when gaming, so I just go with the current of things. It doesn't matter if it's good decisions or bad decisions, a combination of both are what make my profile believable. I can so look bad on it and reflect on how things went that way, regardless if the experience was good or not.

Take in mind that you also have a reasonable amount of progress on some very grindy games there. I wouldn't throw those away if I were you.

In the end, however, it's your decision. If you want to start from a clean slate, you can do that as well. Just be sure to have fun while gaming. :) 

• Like 4

I mean it’s up to you, I made this account a year ago, and it’s really going nicely

but it is a boring thing to repeat the same games I did before, if you are planning to do that then all I can tell you is good luck on your new account 

• Like 1

No, because that's a slippery slope of never being satisfied with my trophy profile. Life's too short to play games over and over for the same trophies (unless they stack, of course).

Also, I would lose all my cool stats, like my 6-year trends where you can completely tell I'm a student because my trophies-per-month peaks every December and every July/August. 

• Like 1

I started mine 2 years ago even though I had it as an alt since 2014 and I loved that I switched and now I won't even go back to my old account even if Sony let us delete trophies in the future. Because I have platinums in this account that there's no way in hell I would want to plat again. 

Benefits of a new account: 

1) You can pick your milestone carefully.

2) You don't have to finish those old mistakes. 

3) You don't have that (H) on your account if you consider hiding games. 

4) You can re-exprience those old games that you loved once again. 

Cons:

1) You have to finish online trophies ASAP on any game that you start, because it might become unobtainable anytime. 

2) You gonna be spending most of the time playing PS3/PS4 old games more than new titles if you want those old plats/100% again. 

3) There's ALWAYS a chance that a DLC trophy can screw your 100% at any time..for instance Rambo with the unobtainable DLC trophy since it came out. 

- Don't ever skip a game that you believe you'll enjoy playing because you are afraid of that 100% ratio. 

- Even though you'll lose some of those old memories of trophies at certain times, you'll replace it with new ones :)

So my answer is since you are thinking about it for a while now and you are more tilted towards the thought then go for it if you really want to, nobody can change your mind. 

Yeah I have had those thought's especially with this account due to how low the completion rate is but  have decided to just hide the games I don't want shown on my profile. It might be easier to do it that way...even though this account doesn't have my plats I will still aim to complete the old games. At the end of the day its up to you but just remember to have fun

• Like 1

I am also debating starting a new profile now, though for a different reason. I hate my current profile. Well, I don't hate it, but I've already decided I want to start fresh with the ps5. My indecisiveness is between starting a new profile now and carry over with a few PS4 games, or wait and go ps5 only though I'd miss out on the last few PS4 only games (I'm not terribly concerned about that though). My ps4 is slowly trying to kill itself and my patience with it is growing quite thin, so I don't even really want to use it anymore, and I've been playing my switch and Wii more. 

As for advice for you, assuming you are going to just carry over everything if and when you proceed to the next gen, if you feel that strongly towards starting over, do it. In my experience, once you get that little nugget in your head telling you to do it, it is insanely hard to ignore. Though eventually you may find you care less and less about completion and more about just being able to play games and you'll end up with a low completion rate anyways. It's super hard to maintain that due to all the circumstances out of your control ie online stuff, stupid grinds, etc. Also if this is your first and only account, this is your true gaming history regarding trophies and that is not meaningless. Sorry I kind of flip flopped towards the end, but it is a very big decision and you have to consider the time and effort going into the account vs what you want out of a new one. 

• Like 2

No, I was sad for a very long time though that I felt restricted to use my own PSN ID, since there was no name change, but now? its like I got winnngs!

Thanks guys, I'm reading all replies and my mind keeps going from one extreme to the other as I read different opinions. Yet they're helping sorting out my thoughts, I'll keep myself from playing too much until my mind stabilizes so I can go all out wether in my main account or a new one. Hope to hear more replies, reading them is really helpful~

I made a new account and completed a couple games on it, but ultimately decided it was insane to abandon all of my progress just because of an overall completion stat you can't even view on PSN, and the occasional bad game I regret buying. Now I'm just trying to redeem this account, although I like having the alt to try out games I'm not sure about or that are a massive chore I don't want to commit to like FFXIV. 

Thought about a few years ago mostly because I wanted a different PSN name, but never did it since I have too many purchases on this account at this point from PSN avatars and themes mostly. I also got some trophies on my account I would never be able to get again either like the NBA Jam game since I think servers are gone for that game, and I haven't gotten around to trying for rest of the trophies yet.
 And as for changing my PSN I would but heard something about losing purchased items or screwing up other stuff I'm not sure which on that so I haven't done that yet.

The PS3 came out 2 years after I graduated high school. So when they first started to allow you to make usernames. I had 3, Winter_Wonder, Anaheim_Ducks and this account. My main was Winter_Wonder for awhile cause the other 2 didn't work for some reason, so never used them.. But later for some reason I had to call customer service and I got the Anaheim_Ducks and this account activated cause I asked about it. 

I actually played games without worrying about trophies and I had fun. Then they implemented trophies.. 

I legitimately have obsessive compulsive disorder. Which is the reason for this account being very picky about my games. No easy ass games like my name is mayo, no stacking unless it's a different system then I will get the trophies again. 

So yeah, I have thought about it and did it unintentionally since I have 3 accounts since the PS3 came out. This is my newest one and Anaheim_Ducks I use to play games and test out if I can do a 100%

Why not give it a go, make a new account and do whatever you feel like doing. Either you find it a waste of time and crawl back to your old account or it turns out you enjoy your new account more and stop playing your current profile. In the end, you shouldn't rely on other's opinions about whether or not should you do something, especially for something as trivial as a PSN profile.

Try it, you can always go back.

• Like 1