Considering a new account, did you ever think about that too?

YonahFuriae

I'll probably never create another account, im glad with what i have

Even if somehow I lose my 100% completion i still wouldn't change it, my account defines who i am, but since i tend to 'once started play until 100%' its very unlikely that i'll miss out on trophies, ofcourse im a slow player (i could go a month without earning a trophy) so i could actually lose out if the servers shut down of the game im currently playing, but then i'd probably play it more because of that

Being able to change my psn id totally convinced me to not make an entirely new account, i wouldn't even know another name entirely ?

On 11/8/2020 at 6:49 AM, Cassylvania said:

I've been playing Sony games for the past 10 years. For the first five years (2010-2015), I had a very bad OCD problem that led me to creating a new account every few months or so. In September 2015, I decided enough was enough and I'd stick to one account from now on, no matter what. It wasn't easy at first. I had the stupidest reasons for wanting to start over. I remember being upset about trophy screenshots and timestamps. Heck, even as late as 2017, I thought about packing it in. I have a few pieces of advice for you, since I think you're coming from a similar place.

First, your problems won't go away by starting a new account. It's delusional to think they will. I know the idea of "starting fresh" and "only playing games I really love" sounds appealing at first, but how long do you think that'll last? A few days, a few weeks, a few months if you're lucky, but you'll eventually end up facing the same problems you face now. I thought I could avoid all shitty games and only play stuff I like, but at some point, I had to take a chance with some unknown games. That's brought me to some pretty bad (and some pretty great) places. You've already accepted that you won't be trying for a 100% account, which is good, but it's okay to not like every game on your account. I despised Foul Play, Spy Chameleon, and Dead Synchronicity, but they're still a part of my gaming history. Making a new account so their images won't appear on my profile won't change that.

Second, don't create a new account for the milestones on this website. PSNP changed their milestone system years after it was implemented, screwing over many people who enjoyed planning out their milestones. It's a complete mess at this point, and the joy you get from planning out milestones will die a painful death, as you will have to wait longer and longer between each milestone. How long, you ask? I'm about 140 trophies away from 10k. At that point, my next "official" milestone won't be until 15k. That's about two and a half years. Then another two and a half years before 20k. That's two milestones in the next five years, compared to the ten I earned in the past five years. Platinum milestones work more or less the same way. It's stupid, and it's not worth creating a new account over.

Third, you have a good account. You're proud of those trophies. I would be too. If you start a new account, you're going to spend a lot of time replaying those same games. That's time you could be spending finishing up the games you have or playing something new. One thing that occurred to me is that I'm just too old to start over now. I wish I had never done it in the first place. I'm still chasing after platinums I already had and running into the same issues I was trying to run from before. The difference is I've learned to accept them. I would strongly encourage you or anybody else who is thinking about creating a new account to consider that.

God, I even sound old...

This was a great reading. I still have my doubts, literally 10 min ago I was playing Modern Warfare 2 to finish the trophies and forget about that after deciding to stick with my account, and now I just stopped playing because I thought again of starting over. Maybe I'm over reacting, there's only two games on my profile that were played by friends here, Raging Blast 2 and Modern Warfare. The ones I chosed to play back in the day to try them up (a friend told me if I loved MGS3 I'd like Far Cry 3 because it has survival stuff... Uhm...) And I got the FC4 since that's the bundle they had in the shop I went to buy a PS4, I already had GTAV for PS3 and it's not a game I'm crazy about, just find fun the offline part for a while. 

So a few weeks ago I was enjoying completing games, did FFVII Remake, VII, VIII in a week each, Persona 5 Royal and other long games while not worrying about anything and loving my profile, but then I found myself wanting to achieve the 90% on this profile at least and get all the platinums I have almost finished. Then that meant I had to unbury old games that I regret playing and don't enjoy, so I don't have to do it eventually, and so they get buried on my profile and the games I love most and new ones are on top. Started with Infamous, I don't know why I played the game, I remember I got it as a gift when they got hacked, why would I play it when Atelier and other games I love were probably released during that date?  The thing is I played it, and now I had to do a full playthrough on hard plus getting all collectibles, it was depressing as I don't enjoy the game, second was Far Cry 3 multiplayer trophies, then a couple trophies for Infamous First Light, and Far Cry 4 from the start, since I just played a couple hours when I got it with the PS4 bundle before dropping it. Then Modern Warfare 2 and Raging Blast 2, it really depresses me playing these, I don't like the feeling of unburing games I played 10 years ago, especially if they were there because I'm not interested in them. Maybe forcing myself to play these games in a row led me to a low animic state and thus the idea of the new profile coming up everytime I go back and play these. I hope when I finish these two and keep playing what I like I won't feel the same in the future when it will be too late for a new one, since probably I won't be able to platinum Blazblue and other fightning games I love as the servers will close eventually.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fish613 said:

This is pretty much how I feel.

I used to trophy hunt a lot back when trophies first came out (evident by my profile), then I stopped for a while. Now I do it a little bit.

When I started doing it again a little bit, I thought to myself "My list isn't accurate because I stopped trophy hunting for a while". As if my current list wasn't real, or a reflection of my gaming/trophies.

But it didn't take me long to realize, yes... yes it is. That's the entire point. My list is how it is BECAUSE of decisions I made. Just like if someone buys a PS4 and makes the decision that they don't care about trophies.... plays a really hard platinum, doesnt earn the platinum, then months later, loves trophy hunting but cant get that platinum trophy. I dont know how im trying to explain it lol. Unless someone (a younger/older brother/sister, cousin, friend, whoever) went on your account without your knowledge and earned a trophy that put that game on your list.... then whatever your list is, is 100% what your list should be.

If you have a really hard platinum on your list (that you haven't earned), because you weren't trophy hunting when you played the game... then that's your TRUE trophy list, because of the back story. Like Zircon wrote.....if you create a new profile for the sake of trophies.... then those trophies will just feel artificial and not genuine.

"you shouldn't rely on other's opinions about whether or not should you do something"

"Try it, you can always go back."

*proceeds to give his opinion*.   lol, sorry... i couldn't help but point out the irony of your comment :)

This is not black or white, about "your list is what you are and a new would feel artificial", in my case is on the greay side since...

One of my motivations for a new account is that it reflects myself, and the thing is, the latest games on my list now are a false representation, as I didn't chose to play them. It was when trophies were half implemented, I didn't know by that time if they would eventually do it for all games or not, so I didn't care about my PSN profile and when friends came and wanted to play a game together I didn't bother to make a new one. This happened with "Lord of the Rings: Conquest, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, DB: Raging Blast 2. Also Happened with Killzone 2 and other I don't remember, but these were at 0% so I could delete them. So yeah, these games really bother me, and even depress me to play, the reason I have unbiried them is to never think about them again, do the trophies and let them bury for good, but I get so depressed playing these games that's what made me want to make a new account. The one I have now have these games together, making it look as if I enjoy them, but is all the oposite, so in my case, a new account would show an accurate image of myself, as now I would be super careful to not let anyone play anything here. It's not just for people who see my profile, as people seeing others profiles don't care what others play, I'm just bothered these games are here when I did not chose to play them, never in my life I have played a CoD, for shooters, I can enjoy them if are survival oriented, like RE, RPG like Fallout, etc. But I just don't enjoy these, for Dragon Ball, fightning games are together with JRPG and Shmups my favorite genres, but I never was interested in Dragon Ball, I might enjoy it as a fightning game if it was one of the latter ones, but I really don't like this one, a super DB fan friend played it on my profile one time we were with more friends and got a single achievement for playing 10 vs matches, so because of that it stuck on my profile.

So yeah, for one part I'm over reacting because it's just 2 or 3 games, but they bother me a lot.

Cassylvania is around her mid 30s she understandably I can see why she does not want to start over. I just don't have the time like I used to when I was 16 - 20 years old and I could spend a number of hours each day on a video game.

Personally I've been drifting away from gaming for a while. I find Mad Men, Sopranos, Big Love, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad reruns to be a lot more compelling than worrying about some stupid achievement.

Most of us are in the 20 - 35 age range and we simply grew up with gaming, that is why most of us are still trophy hunting. I can drop this hobby with the drop of a hat and move on to something else if I so choose. But with all the money I've spent not only buying up the backlog of games that I own, but also working to maintain a high completion rate, I'd rather not toss these games aside because I have wasted a couple thousand dollars worth.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

It's really complicated to state the reasons I wish to start again. Been trying to find them out for the past days. Another issue is, since I was set to get a 90%+ on this account, I'll be replaying most of my games, so I thought it would be a watse not making a new one. For some reason, for many games I've done the hardest and longest part, for instance for The Witcher 3, got all Gwent Cards, beat on Death March, and then when I just need miscellanious trophies like the combat ones for the 100% I relax and start a new game since there are many I wish to play. Other I did the platinum pretty fast like FFVII Remake, VII, VIII, P5 Royal. But for instance for the normal, I wanted it to be my 50 platinum, was ready for it at the end of the second playthrough, yet by mistake I got Shenmue one.

Games I'd play over and over are P4G, all Nier, all Team Disgaea games (Disgaea, Witch, Labirynth)... But making a new account would force me to focus first on all BB, GG and other fightning games to get online before servers shut down. So again I'd be without playing pending games, I'd lose others I wouldn't do again like Fallout 3 since both here and on 360 already did all trophies + DLCs, I'd force myself to do others I wouldn't repeat normally, again done two times here and on 360, which is FFXIII. Would lose 280h in MH which isn't much for what I used to spend on the series but I love my character... 

What makes the decision harder is that I know now is the last chance, I'm gonna go all out from now on, and I would hate if keeping my profile would made me feel bad about these  games again in the future, or if starting over would be a crazy thing and waste of time, eventually finding myself buried in time even more... I always wasted like 12 weeks thinking it over.

That's what I've finally done. I wish I did that before beating MW2 on Veteran and doing other miscellaneous, or playing Raging Blast 2 since like I said I just don't enjoy these games, for "shooters" I'm okay with Resident Evil since I like zombies, or Fallout since it's more an RPG than anything, Vanquish, etc. But just regular shooters aren't my thing. Before I didn't like the idea of having games hidden, but I guess since I've come to a point of considering, and even already started the new account, I don't feel bothered about it, I don't see these games anymore and don't need to waste my time on them, I can just play what I like and enjoy, so I'm good now.

I have the same thoughts about creating a new account (I already have one with a better name) to start fresh

but my problem is that I already invested way to much time in this account.

Your have a little bit over 50 platinums. If my account would have this amount of platinums, I'd start a new profile but my account has over 230 platinums and 12.000 trophies.

The amount of trophies isnt my biggest problem because in a few years I would have the same amount again on the new account its just a matter of time.

The memories are the real deal/problem. I started trophy hunting when I was 14 years old. I literally wasted my complete teenager life (trust me) with trophies. It hurts to even think about it throwing this whole account away to start fresh.

and of course the urge to replay a lot PS3/PS4 games which takes a lot of time which you could invest in new games.

What would be my new goal on a new account? A completion rate over 90%, no stacks, only games I really enjoy.

Its up to you: Are the memories from your account to strong then the anwser is no.

Edited by xXAaronBroXx

12 hours ago, xXAaronBroXx said:

I have the same thoughts about creating a new account (I already have one with a better name) to start fresh

but my problem is that I already invested way to much time in this account.

Your have a little bit over 50 platinums. If my account would have this amount of platinums, I'd start a new profile but my account has over 230 platinums and 12.000 trophies.

The amount of trophies isnt my biggest problem because in a few years I would have the same amount again on the new account its just a matter of time.

The memories are the real deal/problem. I started trophy hunting when I was 14 years old. I literally wasted my complete teenager life (trust me) with trophies. It hurts to even think about it throwing this whole account away to start fresh.

and of course the urge to replay a lot PS3/PS4 games which takes a lot of time which you could invest in new games.

What would be my new goal on a new account? A completion rate over 90%, no stacks, only games I really enjoy.

Its up to you: Are the memories from your account to strong then the anwser is no.

You started trophy hunting back in 2012 on your profile, so I’m guessing you’re now in your early 20s. 

You are still young. You still got time to determine whether you want to continue this hobby or move on to something else. 

I started Runescape when I was 14 and World of Warcraft when I was 16 years old. Quit both MMOs because I got fed up with the games and the toxic communities. Spent probably close to 10,000 hours combined playing them. Time I will never get back, but it is what it is. I will never play those games again. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spaz said:

You started trophy hunting back in 2012 on your profile, so I’m guessing you’re now in your early 20s. 

You are still young. You still got time to determine whether you want to continue this hobby or move on to something else. 

I started Runescape when I was 14 and World of Warcraft when I was 16 years old. Quit both MMOs because I got fed up with the games and the toxic communities. Spent probably close to 10,000 hours combined playing them. Time I will never get back, but it is what it is. I will never play those games again. 

Yeah I get your point and I already made a change and only play games which I really like. I still have the thoughts about starting a new profile but in the end one thought always stops me:

Trophies are virtuel icons, jpg files which give you nothing. Getting nothing from trophies > why should I start over. Its hilarious.

On 8/14/2020 at 7:11 PM, xXAaronBroXx said:

Yeah I get your point and I already made a change and only play games which I really like. I still have the thoughts about starting a new profile but in the end one thought always stops me:

Trophies are virtuel icons, jpg files which give you nothing. Getting nothing from trophies > why should I start over. Its hilarious.

It all depends. I mean in actual fact you're correct in that unlocking a trophy is just that. But gamers have always found way to get more from games than what was originally intended. 

Space Invaders had people just having quick goes, competing with pals to see who could get the furthest, then it went to getting really far, then the highest score etc etc. Trophies are no different. 

The only downside to them is how none creative the devs are with them. i'm sure we have all played an incredible game which has then had a total dog shit boring completion list, or a dog shit game so you got more out of it by going for the completion. 

As for starting new accounts, I start my new one tomorrow. My aim was always to reach 50 games to 100% completion and only done it once with a 360 account which I then dumped at 52 games. Nothing wrong with a restart account. Sometimes it can bring a whole new lease of life to gaming, but only if you know what you're getting into.

• Like 1

I had to start a new account today. Trying to do a certain thing on Judgment took its toll so bad, that yesterday I couldn't even switch on the PS4 until late at night. Then when I went to try this morning to have another go I had to switch off straight away before I was even able to login. 

Created a new account but not been able to touch that yet either. Guess the game completely broke me in terms of being able to game. 

Yes, I hate that I have "missing timestamps" on one of my games since my old PS3 at the time didn't record them and I would like to re-Platinum some games that wouldn't take as long these days.  Also some have had their servers taken down like Last of Us on PS3 and I cannot get the Platinum for that one anyway.  I think its up to you if you want another account on your system and since its your choice in the end and nobody elses, do what you want to do and at least its free to create a new one and your not paying anything extra to do it.  

Truth be told, I did think of it at one point since I have several tough platinums that are permanently glitched hidden despite me unhiding them years ago (GTA Vice City, FFX, Diablo 3 100%).  Plus I always thought it would be awesome to have a 100% profile.  But truthfully, I've invested a lot of time and money into this profile and I did the glitched plats more for completion's sake, though it's still irritating for them not to show up especially after 150+ hours on FFX.  So I won't abandon this account (though I may play on my regional accounts from time to time).

Edited by TomoTakino

I can't say I'm in the same position as yours, but I also had an account before trophy support was added. When it did, I got so obsessed with them that, at one point, it actually broke my PS3 (YLOD) because I was after one specific trophy for hours and the console had overheated.

When I bought another PS3 years later, I created this account I'm currently on. At the time, I confess it was partly because there were some trophies I would never be able to get again, so I wouldn't bother with playing these titles in the new account. But after many years with my current account, guess what? There are games here I'll never be able to complete, either.

I've since come to realize that my trophy obsession would be more frustrating than enjoyable; worst-case, it could be destructive (it literally broke my PS3, heh). I still aim to increase my completion rate, but I know that can burn me out at times. Nowadays, I play games I enjoy, and come back to them when I feel up to it. I think it's a good way to tackle my backlog and still have fun.

My advice to you is to play games that you enjoy, and pay more attention to what you have accomplished. There are still many games that you'll be able to complete; there are also many that you won't, and if you're not able to get 100% of the trophies in a game for some reason, you will still know you've played it, and enjoyed both its content and the challenge of unlocking some of its trophies. In my profile, I have all Uncharted platinums (including 100% of the remasters) but none of the MP trophies in U2-U4. I never really planned on getting those, because I'm not that invested in multiplayer games, and I don't want to force myself to get them. Now, the servers for U2/3 have died, and there's nothing I can do, but that is not a reason to make a new profile and not include these games. In the end, my completion in these games is an indication of how much I enjoyed Uncharted's campaign.

Your profile should reflect your gaming preferences over pure statistics.

On 8/20/2020 at 8:26 AM, Eblait said:

I can't say I'm in the same position as yours, but I also had an account before trophy support was added. When it did, I got so obsessed with them that, at one point, it actually broke my PS3 (YLOD) because I was after one specific trophy for hours and the console had overheated.

When I bought another PS3 years later, I created this account I'm currently on. At the time, I confess it was partly because there were some trophies I would never be able to get again, so I wouldn't bother with playing these titles in the new account. But after many years with my current account, guess what? There are games here I'll never be able to complete, either.

I've since come to realize that my trophy obsession would be more frustrating than enjoyable; worst-case, it could be destructive (it literally broke my PS3, heh). I still aim to increase my completion rate, but I know that can burn me out at times. Nowadays, I play games I enjoy, and come back to them when I feel up to it. I think it's a good way to tackle my backlog and still have fun.

My advice to you is to play games that you enjoy, and pay more attention to what you have accomplished. There are still many games that you'll be able to complete; there are also many that you won't, and if you're not able to get 100% of the trophies in a game for some reason, you will still know you've played it, and enjoyed both its content and the challenge of unlocking some of its trophies. In my profile, I have all Uncharted platinums (including 100% of the remasters) but none of the MP trophies in U2-U4. I never really planned on getting those, because I'm not that invested in multiplayer games, and I don't want to force myself to get them. Now, the servers for U2/3 have died, and there's nothing I can do, but that is not a reason to make a new profile and not include these games. In the end, my completion in these games is an indication of how much I enjoyed Uncharted's campaign.

Your profile should reflect your gaming preferences over pure statistics.

There was a time when I was pretty much a Xbox 360 gamer because of Halo, Forza and Gears of War. Did a lot of gaming back in 2005 - 2007 when the console was hot cakes, had the red ring of death at least twice. For the benefits it had, including decent multiplayer through Xbox Live Gold membership, it wasn't the best designed console.

I own a second model slim for the PS3 and have had it since late 2012. Hasn't given me any problems. The original 2006 PS3 model is the one I think gave people issues, but at the time I wasn't into Sony so I never got around to actually playing that for myself.

Trophy hunting started in 2008, and according to your account you started back in 2014 so you're basically at the halfway point.

I generally think that completionists in general tend to play games that they would otherwise not bother completing if their completion percentage hovered around 40 - 60 percent. You got stuff like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Red Dead Redemption that you didn't even touch, not even Bloodborne is finished. In the case of RDR, the reason I don't have it finished is because the multiplayer trophies I have left require far too much coordination as well as having multiple people.

It's really common to see people get most of the single player done with some multiplayer for stuff like Far Cry 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 1, but when it comes to the difficult trophies they give up on the platinum. I have a lot of respect for people on here who did games like Crysis 2 because of the multiplayer boosting required. I'm hoping that one day we will see Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 re-released on a modern console, hopefully without multiplayer trophies.

Based on your statistics you play purely for fun. I think having 80 - 95 percent completion is a pretty good number, it shows what you've completed and not completed due to skill and online.

People who try to maintain a 100 percent account will likely eventually run into something they cannot do either due to online shutdown or lack of skill. I will never get 100 percent on this profile, so I do what I can and move on.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 4:35 PM, Spaz said:

I own a second model slim for the PS3 and have had it since late 2012. Hasn't given me any problems. The original 2006 PS3 model is the one I think gave people issues, but at the time I wasn't into Sony so I never got around to actually playing that for myself.

Trophy hunting started in 2008, and according to your account you started back in 2014 so you're basically at the halfway point.

I generally think that completionists in general tend to play games that they would otherwise not bother completing if their completion percentage hovered around 40 - 60 percent. You got stuff like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Red Dead Redemption that you didn't even touch, not even Bloodborne is finished. In the case of RDR, the reason I don't have it finished is because the multiplayer trophies I have left require far too much coordination as well as having multiple people.

As I've said in my post, I had an account from before trophy support was added. Metal Gear Solid 4 was one example of a game I played before it got patched. Then I got a few trophies and started being mildly serious about completing the games I had before my fat PS3 had the YLOD at the beginning of 2010. After that, I only got another PS3 in 2014, and created another account then. That PS3 also broke around 2018, but I got another one recently and plan to tackle my backlog/incomplete games soon.

I consider myself a completionist, although there's some games I stopped halfway through because I got bored or had other priorities - so you could also say I play for fun. There's also some 100% I haven't yet achieved due to DLC (Horizon, Watch Dogs, Mass Effect 2, Far Cry 4 and so on), but I have most of them, so it's a matter of time. Some other games are of the couch variety, so I'm not planning to complete them (but it's always possible).

Nowadays, I don't like to 100% a game in one sitting, so I try to as many trophies as I can in one playthrough and return for the 100% after playing a few more games. I think this rotation is a good way to keep my gaming moments from becoming too stale and avoid dropping the game out of boredom. If multiplayer trophies are feasible, I always try to do them, but some games that require too much grinding are not what I signed for while trophy hunting. Neither are mediocre games with platinums awarded for just finishing them. My spare time is not the same as it was in the good old days.

With that said, I still want 100% in RDR (or at least platinum). If you ever get back to it for the multiplayer, let me know. ?