Control PS5 upgrade

Raveniteh

is locked behind Ultimate Edition. Rest of you can bugger off. I mean, buy the game again, of course.

source: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/08/control_locks_free_ps5_upgrade_behind_ultimate_edition

well that's one way of doing it. Not sure why they wont allow at least season pass users to upgrade it for free as well.

• Like 2

Or you can just play the PS4 version (and all it's content from the Season Pass) on the PS5.

Curious to see if the PS5 version is just a GOTY-type or if there are actually PS5 optimizations done. If there's no performance benefit to having the PS5 version, then this is much ado about a publisher being stupid, but everyone ends up in the same place in the end.

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Or you can just play the PS4 version (and all it's content from the Season Pass) on the PS5.

Curious to see if the PS5 version is just a GOTY-type or if there are actually PS5 optimizations done. If there's no performance benefit to having the PS5 version, then this is much ado about a publisher being stupid, but everyone ends up in the same place in the end.

It should be enhanced for PS5, given the PC version has RT, DLSS and similar heavy tech that the PS5 will benefit from.

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I sure hope it's going to have graphical improvements and/or other optimizations. Because if not, then there's literally no point in having it upgraded and it's such a cash grab and negative PR at this moment. On a bright side, I don't own the game yet so I might just grab it for PS5 once there's some proper release. 

5 minutes ago, enclosed-hairdo said:

It should be enhanced for PS5, given the PC version has RT, DLSS and similar heavy tech that the PS5 will benefit from.

You might have your expectations set a bit high. They *should* also just give the PS5 version to PS4 Season Pass holders as well. If they can't see how they're impacting their paying customers here, I have low expectations for them to have actually gone back and implemented enhancements, even if they have similar code in an existing product.

3 minutes ago, Raveniteh said:

then there's literally no point in having it upgraded and it's such a cash grab

We may have stumbled on to the explanation for this poor decision.

I get wanting free PS5 upgrades, and I get why some devs/pubs do it for the good PR... but I'm not sure why it's expected or looked down on charging for it?  Why does buying the game for one system entitle you to it for another?  Is it stopping you from playing the copy you bought or its DLC on the PS4?

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I don't disagree with your point at all.

In this scenario, the publisher is selling two identical packages. An Ultimate Package, which has the game and all DLC, and the Game + Season Pass, which includes all the DLC. But only the Ultimate Package includes the upgrade. It's inconsistent.

Gotcha, makes sense.  I can see why people think that's bogus.

I highly welcome a PS5 edition if it means that the game runs smoother. I love the game, but the frame drop, especially going into the menu can be distracting. Hopefully, that is the case with it being on PS5, otherwise there is no point. 

As for it not being a free upgrade? I guess it depends on the price. If they are charging it within reasonable amount , then I'm fine with that. I think it's little unfair for people who bought the deluxe edition, cause that it essentially the ultimate edition. 

Edited by MarcusPunisher
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I get wanting free PS5 upgrades, and I get why some devs/pubs do it for the good PR... but I'm not sure why it's expected or looked down on charging for it?  Why does buying the game for one system entitle you to it for another?

I don't really mind paying for the upgrade itself, but if I did own the game, having to re-purchase whole game does not seem very fair as it's pretty much just higher graphical settings they already use on PC. But they don't even offer pay-to-upgrade, you have to get the game again. Which just does not sit well with me from a consumer standpoint. Then again as I mentioned before I don't even own the game on PS4 I think I did dodge this bullet.

8 hours ago, enclosed-hairdo said:

I'm very curious to see the difference in the base version and that of Ultimate edition. Unless the versions are different, have under-the-hood optimisations in the Ultimate edition, I can't see why the base version and ultimate version are considered differently here. 

This is quote from different article about it:

The publisher announced a new $40 “Ultimate” edition of the game today coming to PS4, Xbox One, PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X. It’ll include both the current Foundation DLC and upcoming Alan Wake expansion, but is otherwise functionally identical to the version of Control people already purchased back in 2019.Only the Ultimate edition is coming to PS5 and Xbox Series X, and only people who buy that version of the game will be able to upgrade for free to the “next-gen optimized version” whenever it’s eventually available.

19 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I get wanting free PS5 upgrades, and I get why some devs/pubs do it for the good PR... but I'm not sure why it's expected or looked down on charging for it?  Why does buying the game for one system entitle you to it for another?  Is it stopping you from playing the copy you bought or its DLC on the PS4?

Because if you bought a new PC and already owned the game, you'd simply have to redownload it and enjoy all the graphical enhancements you couldn't before. It shouldn't be seen as something special on consoles, it should be established as the norm. 

If this came out years later with graphical enhancements they couldn't afford to do at the time, I'd understand the price too, but it's just bringing higher PC settings to the consoles and putting a full price behind that. 

36 minutes ago, TheNocturnalOwl said:

Because if you bought a new PC and already owned the game, you'd simply have to redownload it and enjoy all the graphical enhancements you couldn't before. It shouldn't be seen as something special on consoles, it should be established as the norm. 

If this came out years later with graphical enhancements they couldn't afford to do at the time, I'd understand the price too, but it's just bringing higher PC settings to the consoles and putting a full price behind that. 

Yeah - but it isn’t that.

Assuming the PS5 gets backwards compatibility, you can download the PS4 version and play it on your PS5 - just like your PC analogy. As for getting the improvements, in this case the improvements are built into the game, not just the hardware specs. The PC analogy doesn’t really work, as in your example you had already purchased the content but couldn’t use it due to the limitations of the older PC.

I’m not saying I don’t understand why people are annoyed - but this is hardly a new issue, PS4 remasters have never been free either. 

Everybody realizes this is just a workaround to charge for a remaster and bleed a little more money out of the customer.

Plus at the listed price, it’s a better deal than just buying the season pass at this point. 

People seem to confuse BC with Smart Delivery/Cross-buy/whatever-you-want-to-call-it.

• If Control (Standard/Deluxe/Digital Deluxe) is BC on PS5, the only difference will be the machine the game will be played on. The version will still be the same (PS4).
  • Control Ultimate Edition (which is the Digital Deluxe Edition with a different name) gives access to the PS5 version of the game (with all the bells and whistles, if there are any). Assuming the PS5 version is not ready yet, this will probably be in the form of a patch, which won't be available to the previous versions.

What they are saying is, you can buy the PS5 version of Ultimate Edition straight away OR you can buy the PS4 version of Ultimate edition and get the former for free.

1 hour ago, TheNocturnalOwl said:

I mean, I guess there's some scrap of logic in there.  New PC = New Console, new PC plays at higher settings built-in and framerates without the need to buy anything, so new console should play at higher settings and framerates without the need to buy anything.

It kind of ignores the console economy though, the fact patching stuff in and certifying for the new console probably costs $$$ where that isn't really the case on PC.  Which would encourage developers/publishers to charge for that sort of thing and not eat the cost, especially if maybe a game didn't sell as well as they hoped, even if others feel the good PR is worth it.

(Personally, I think the gaming community as a whole is incredibly fickle and will tear out a devs jugular at the first perceived slight so I don't blame them for just going for the money where they feel it's warranted.)

8 minutes ago, Misshandlad said:

Very stupid in my eyes to force us to pay for the full game once more, basically punishing us for playing their game at release.

You don't have to buy it again, especially if it's the same game with some graphical tweaks.  You got what you paid for with the game you bought at release.

Edited by Dreakon13

12 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

You don't have to buy it again, especially if it's the same game with some graphical tweaks.  You got what you paid for with the game you bought at release.

I get what you mean. But imagine the scenario where you didn't buy the game at release. You get the ps4 and ps5 versions with the Ultimate edition, basically getting rewarded by the devs for waiting.

With that said, if they add another Trophy stack with the Ultimate edition, that might be an incentive for me to buy. LUL

Edited by Misshandlad

12 minutes ago, Misshandlad said:

I get what you mean. But imagine the scenario where you didn't buy the game at release. You get the ps4 and ps5 versions with the Ultimate edition, basically getting rewarded for waiting.

There are always advantages to waiting to buy games.  Cheaper prices, patches, complete editions with DLC included, etc.  Imagine you paid $60 for a game and someone bought the complete edition for $10 a few years later?

Buy games at release because you think what you're getting at release is worth it, not because you think it's a golden ticket to every new release/content that comes after.  It's never safe to assume there will be "loyalty rewards" and these companies are your friends, they're out to make money and they all have different approaches to that.  In this case, that approach is using the new release as incentive/hype/marketing for this Ultimate Edition.  It's kinda crappy but not entirely unexpected IMO.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1