Control PS5 upgrade

Raveniteh

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

It's never safe to assume there will be "loyalty rewards" and these companies are your friends, they're out to make money and they all have different approaches to that.

That and there's a FOMO - fear of missing out. Everyone is going to be talking about the next hot thing and people don't want to be left out in a way. And hype. 

7 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

There are always advantages to waiting to buy games.  Cheaper prices, patches, complete editions with DLC included, etc.  Imagine you paid $60 for a game and someone bought the complete edition for $10 a few years later?

Buy games at release because you think what you're getting at release is worth it, not because you think it's a golden ticket to every new release/content that comes after.  It's never safe to assume there will be "loyalty rewards" and these companies are your friends, they're out to make money and they all have different approaches to that.  In this case, that approach is using the new release as incentive/hype/marketing for this Ultimate Edition.  It's kinda crappy but not entirely unexpected IMO.

Im not asking them to give a golden ticket or anything, but say an "upgrade" pass for half the price of the Ultimate edition. There is no reason for me to have 2 copies of the same game on my shelf, so more likely than not they will miss out on my "imaginary" $20 bucks since they dont offer the upgrade instead of full purchase. I'm probably not the only one either.

But it is what it is. Just venting here. Good day to you sir.

20 minutes ago, Misshandlad said:

Im not asking them to give a golden ticket or anything, but say an "upgrade" pass for half the price of the Ultimate edition. There is no reason for me to have 2 copies of the same game on my shelf, so more likely than not they will miss out on my "imaginary" $20 bucks since they dont offer the upgrade instead of full purchase. I'm probably not the only one either.

Like I said, every company has a different approach to it.  Where you can spin it in a way that makes it sound like they're losing money doing it this way, they can probably spin it in a way that they're making money doing it this way (and I don't think a cheaper "upgrade" has been ruled out at this point).  What companies never account for, is just how vicious the gaming community can get these days.  A fairly common practice from last gen or even a few years ago that might not have even been on anyones radar... suddenly becomes a major sticking point, results in a PR hellstorm, review bombing, harassment of anyone involved, death threats, etc and is all over the headlines.

But at the end of the day, you take this information and use it going forward to make more educated purchasing decisions from 505 or Remedy in the future.

Edited by Dreakon13

Well, here is another great lesson not to pre-order games, cause God forbid you are a loyal fan, you are getting screwed anyway. Free PS5 upgrade is becoming a norm at this point. Even Ubisoft and freaking EA are doing in some degree. This is a really scummy and greedy move from the publisher (I do hope it's 505 and not Remedy who made this decision) and It's hard to defend.

I am someone who you can call a Remedy fanboy. I would gladly contribute money to this studio, but not under these circumstances. 

Note: YongYea made a pretty good video about this. 

• Like 1

Well, here is another great lesson not to pre-order games, cause God forbid you are a loyal fan, you are getting screwed anyway.

Isn't this just limited to the limited time during a generational transition when there are a lot of cross-gen games? And isn't it "normal" for you people to not get the next gen version for free if you bought the original game?

It has nothing to do with pre-ordering shit. 

Free PS5 upgrade is becoming a norm at this point.

Most pubs haven't even commented about it. Sony's 1st party doesn't have any cross-gen games to worry about.

Even Ubisoft and freaking EA are doing in some degree. This is a really scummy and greedy move from the publisher (I do hope it's 505 and not Remedy who made this decision) and It's hard to defend.

You just said to "some degree" meaning some games are giving an free upgrade while others are not. So that means free upgrades are not guaranteed.

8 hours ago, MarcusPunisher said:

Well, here is another great lesson not to pre-order games, cause God forbid you are a loyal fan

If your loyalty only extends as far as how many rewards you get for it, are you really a very "loyal fan"?

As someone who pre-orders all the time... I do it because they're devs with good track records, I want the games on release and/or I like playing games without the burden of others opinions.  The expectation of free shit a year or two down the road for my "loyalty" doesn't even register.  Nor should it.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

If your loyalty only extends as far as how many rewards you get for it, are you really a very "loyal fan"?

As someone who pre-orders all the time... I do it because they're devs with good track records, I want the games on release and/or I like playing games without the burden of others opinions.  The expectation of free shit a year or two down the road for my "loyalty" doesn't even register.  Nor should it.

Yes, I consider it as such, cause by pre-ordering a product, you put your trust into a developer putting your money on the table no matter how the game will come out. It's really risky these days to do that, cause there are so many you can point out where the games came out unfinished or with greedy practices.

Now the developer (or publisher) is telling me that my investment as a loyal fan meant nothing and that I have to buy extra copy of the same product I already purchased. It's unfair to those that trusted the product and made it financially successful in the first place. That's why I'm saying it's hard to defend.

Free upgrades are becoming a norm like I said and if a company decides to go a different route, they are gonna face backlash like Control does right now. 

Edited by MarcusPunisher
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MarcusPunisher said:

Yes, I consider it as such, cause by pre-ordering a product, you put your trust into a developer putting your money on the table no matter how the game will come out. It's really risky these days to do that, cause there are so many you can point out where the games came out unfinished or with greedy practices.

Now the developer (or publisher) is telling me that my investment as a loyal fan meant nothing and that I have to buy extra copy of the same product I already purchased. It's unfair to those that trusted the product and made it financially successful in the first place. That's why I'm saying it's hard to defend.

Free upgrades are becoming a norm like I said and if a company decides to go a different route, they are gonna face backlash like Control does right now. 

Maybe people wouldn't feel so burned by preorders if they didn't go into it with this level of flaky "trust" and smug satisfaction.  You're not exactly saving the planet here, you're buying a game.  If you got your game, that's the extent that the publisher/developer owes you.  Regardless of what they use as incentive for new releases and more sales a year or two later.

Edited by Dreakon13

There are still a few unknowns right now, like what improvements will be added to the next-gen version and whether or not those improvements will be provided via a patch. As of right now, though, if you bought the game previously, you don't gain access to the PS5 version, which other companies are offering as a free upgrade for their games. I believe the only company not doing this is NBA 2K, as the upgrade is locked behind one of the more expensive editions of the game, but that game isn't out yet. Control has been out a year and not only did people purchase it day one for $60, but they also probably spend $25 to get the Season Pass. Sure, they can play it on the PS5 via backwards compatibility, but are they going to receive any enhancements from just playing a "made for PS5" version. That's the thing we don't know right now and the only thing we have to figure out is those pre-existing owners will have to purchase the entire game again for $40 in order to gain access to the PS5 version. One thing they could do is tie the free upgrade to the Season Pass, which is cheaper than this new Ultimate Edition (essentially a Game of the Year edition that comes packed with all DLC).

8 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

Isn't this just limited to the limited time during a generational transition when there are a lot of cross-gen games? And isn't it "normal" for you people to not get the next gen version for free if you bought the original game?

It has nothing to do with pre-ordering shit.

The problem is for the existing customers who have supported this game and make it financially successful. They are getting basically told that their contribution didn't matter and now they have to buy the same game again in order to receive free upgrade. 

8 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

Most pubs haven't even commented about it. Sony's 1st party doesn't have any cross-gen games to worry about.

Here is a list of games that are confirmed so far and most of them come from a big studios so it IS becoming a norm at this point. Even Xbox CEO says that they companies should allow free next gen upgrades.

2 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Maybe people wouldn't feel so burned by preorders if they didn't go into it with this level of flaky "trust" and smug satisfaction.  You're not exactly saving the planet here, you're buying a game.  If you got your game, that's the extent that the publisher/developer owes you.  Regardless of what they use as incentive for new releases and more sales a year or two later.

Well, I disagree and because of these reasons I think it's bullshit that they have to buy the game a second time and so do many other people who felt cheated. It's a bad business practice and you can lose some loyal customers because of this. When Ubisoft and EA are doing better than you, that is some serious trouble. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MarcusPunisher said:

Well, I disagree and because of these reasons I think it's bullshit that they have to buy the game a second time

You don't have to.  You already have the game.  The one you bought.

Edited by Dreakon13

6 minutes ago, MarcusPunisher said:

But I can't use this version to get a free upgrade. I would have to buy it a second time to gain access with the Ultimate Edition. 

Did your version stop working or something? Are you unable to play the game you paid for without the Ultimate Edition?

The problem is for the existing customers who have supported this game and make it financially successful. They are getting basically told that their contribution didn't matter and now they have to buy the same game again in order to receive free upgrade. 

You got a game that works. That is what you knowingly paid for and received.  You are not entitled to anything beyond the agreement of the original exchange. 

Here is a list of games that are confirmed so far and most of them come from a big studios so it IS becoming a norm at this point. Even Xbox CEO says that they companies should allow free next gen upgrades.

The list shows not every company is doing it with all their cross-gen games. It is not the norm and is only 
Why would I fucking care about the Xbox CEO says about what "should" be? He is the CEO of a single gaming company not the CEO of all gaming companies.

You need to stop letting Phil Spencer weaponize you for his narratives. 

Edited by TJ_Solo

33 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Did your version stop working or something? Are you unable to play the game you paid for without the Ultimate Edition?

Completely missing the point ?

19 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

You got a game that works. That is what you knowingly paid for and received.  You are not entitled to anything beyond the agreement of the original exchange. 

Is the point going completely over your head? Do I need to speak different language to get it through your brain?

20 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

The list shows not every company is doing it with all their cross-gen games. It is not the norm and is only 
Why would I fucking care about the Xbox CEO says about what "should" be? He is the CEO of a single gaming company not the CEO of all gaming companies.

You need to stop letting Phil Spencer weaponize you for his narratives. 

Ohhhh, I'm so sorry it doesn't showcase every company, only some of the most prominent gaming companies in the world. How about you build some narrative that makes sense so you can actually make a half decent argument instead of looking like an apologist? ?

• Like 2

Is the point going completely over your head? Do I need to speak different language to get it through your brain?

The point is you feel entitled to something that you are not. It is pretty simple.

Ohhhh, I'm so sorry it doesn't showcase every company, only some of the most prominent gaming companies in the world. How about you build some narrative that makes sense so you can actually make a half decent argument instead of looking like an apologist? 1f602.png

You're missing the point of the reason there needs to be a list in the first place. It is to show what games have smart delivery because, wait for it..., the feature is a choice for 3rd party publishers to use or not use. 

Apologist? Nah, bucko. I just read announcements and fully understand what they mean and don't let social media/marketing turn me into a puppet.
They told you time and time again that 3rd party publishers can do whatever they want when it comes to smart delivery and the only company that has to use the feature is Microsoft 1st party studios and that's only for games they make that are both on the Xbox One and Series X.
https://www.gamesradar.com/microsoft-confirms-not-all-xbox-series-x-games-shown-this-week-will-be-on-xbox-one/

Good luck in a year or two with the new narrative Phil tells you to care about.

I totally get wanting free stuff.  I get every free game on the Epic store even though none of my friends use it and my PC can't run half of them.  In this case other people are getting free stuff and it's a little frustrating.

But once that "wanting free stuff" starts turning into crying over free stuff, demanding free stuff, harassing people about free stuff, being "owed" free stuff... it ends up in an ugly place.  The only thing you're owed is a lesson learned if you're really unhappy with your purchase of Control, but as long as you got your game I personally disagree with that idea behind that even.

Edited by Dreakon13

If this game has a new set of trophies to earn (same ones, just earn again) on PS5 then I'll buy it and play it as this is one of the best games ever.  If it doesn't then no need to play it on PS5. 

On 8/15/2020 at 0:28 AM, TJ_Solo said:

THIS exactly

10 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

I don’t have the game so it doesn’t impact me but, I feel, simply because the game they launched is so technically awful on the base systems, it would be ethical if the publisher allowed the free upgrade to the PS5 version (which will hopefully actually be playable).

This!

When the game was released, I felt like the game was already made for the PS5 and only downgraded for the PS4! I mean, it looks really, really good. But those frame drops were really bad sometimes. During that time, I got the impression that they will show us the full potential of the next generation ... for free. I am really disappointed. Waiting for a BIG Season Pass discount now. Sad since its a really playworth game imo.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 8:07 AM, Misshandlad said:

I'm with you on this. I mean, if you bought the game day 1, and you bought the DLC, it seems like a dick move from a company that should love you not to give you some incentive for it. Obviously, companies can do whatever they want, but I think an option like you suggest is a good one.

As for me, I am playing it on PS+ before it disappears, so I have no loyalty to them to being with. ?

Also, I think the game is pretty flippin' mediocre.

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, badbug68 said:

The Ultimate Edition is now on the PS Store and it's says I've already purchased it (I own the base game and season pass). So does that mean base game and season pass owners DO get the PS5 free upgrade now?

That's really interesting. The problem with not being able to upgrade on ps5 might be a retail only problem then.

2 hours ago, badbug68 said:

The Ultimate Edition is now on the PS Store and it's says I've already purchased it (I own the base game and season pass). So does that mean base game and season pass owners DO get the PS5 free upgrade now?

Damn it. Just gone back on to the PS Store. It now says I don't own it. Looks like something got updated behind the scenes. Oh well.