Grounded/Permadeath differences noticed so far

Optinooby

2 minutes ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

That's how The Last of Us 1 worked; if you played on Grounded where you didn't have listen mode, you'd get the trophy for all upgrades even if you never upgraded listen mode in the first place. Makes sense they'd stick with the same system here.

Ahh, thanks, good to know it likely doesnt matter then that I had already upgraded the unavailable upgrades.

I never really played TLoU1.

Guess its possible then you could potentially get ALL upgrades trophy on 1st playthrough if you wait till the last moment, don't upgrade the unavailable upgrades, then switch to Grounded.

Still stuck with weapon upgrades though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

That's how The Last of Us 1 worked; if you played on Grounded where you didn't have listen mode, you'd get the trophy for all upgrades even if you never upgraded listen mode in the first place. Makes sense they'd stick with the same system here.

Very much hoping that works for TLOU2. Doing Grounded+ for my second playthrough to get the platinum. 

Also hoping that Grounded+ counts as beating "Grounded" so that I get that silver DLC trophy.

Fingers crossed... unless someone has definitive information...?

3 hours ago, PostGameBlues said:

Stalkers still see you even with the invisible prone option. Don't know about dogs yet.

That must be grounded thing?  Because when I did very light+ with invisible prone for my plat I could crawl right up to them and stealth kill them.  Only if I touched them while crawling did they seem to actually attack.  Clickers on the other hand, if you're right in front of them they would see you sometimes.

18 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Hey ;)

Figured we could put a thread together listing all changes to gameplay/features these modes alter that are not entirely clear.

Hopefully this will help others!

Ok, i'll go first:

- Trophies should all work with cheats on, otherwise the game 'should' have warned us. But NO cheats can be used on Grounded and likely Permadeath.

- Grounded has DRASTICALLY reduced resources including parts/supps. An example is Chapter 2 Waking Up should have 15 parts, on Grounded I found only 3! Does this mean there are only 1/5 compared to very light, I dunno, just be warned there are far less.

- Some character upgrades are unavailable due to features locked such as listen mode upgrades. Does this impact the upgrade trophies positively or negatively, I have no idea, but it's possible a NG+ Grounded run could lock you out of the upgrade trophies, more info on this would be appreciated!

- Believe it or not, I had a save ready on a alt from when I was running my plat guide where I have 1 upgrade left with Elle on NG+ on Pushing Constance. I loaded 2425 Constance, Abby has all upgrades, I then loaded Pushing Inland with Ellie on Grounded, upgraded 1 remaining upgrade and trophy popped. So maybe you can pop the upgrade trophies on Grounded even though less upgrades are available. Its hard to tell whether thats true or not because I had actually bought the upgrades that were not available for Grounded and so maybe they had already registered, or not, but I did pop the upgrade trophy on Grounded!

- Looking at the above point, all you would need to do anyway at Grounded endgame, assuming you have enough parts/supps, is load 2425 constance on very light, buy all Abbys upgrades, and next is a chapter with Ellie and you can buy all her upgrades. So either way, that should cover you!

- Almost all accessibility features are still usable in Grounded, here you have slow mo, invisible while prone, infinite breath etc. The listening mode accessibility feature actually lets you use listening mode in Grounded believe it or not!

- Perhaps quite hidden and most will not noticed this and is somewhat annoying as well lol, is that you can use the text-to-speech accessibility feature to find out your health level which is otherwise hidden in Grounded. If you turn this on and swipe up it will say for example 'your health is at 100%'!!

Think thats all I have off the top of my head that i've noticed so far and are not entirely clear, please share anything you have noticed that may be useful to others ;)

Thanks

That text-to-speech tip is very helpful, thank you

With regards to invisible proning around stalkers, they both see you and technically don't at the same time (at least not in a way that truly matters). 

If you invis prone around stalkers and get behind them, you can stealth kill them. 

However, if you stealth prone and crawl towards them where you are in front of them then, in my experience, they are more likely to run away from you, as they do see you, however sometimes they don't. Despite this, they still cannot attack you when you are prone, the only way they can is by accidentally running into you, which makes them spot you and then they can attack you. It's really interesting how they can see you but not actually spot you, if that makes sense.

In my playthrough this has only happened one other time, during the school chapter. If you stealth prone your way through the entire school, when you get to the roof and have to go through the door, for some reason enemies can see you and aim their guns at you, but they won't shoot you as they technically haven't spotted you yet. What's interesting about this is that, for me at least, they could still fight Dina, and she fought back. No idea what causes any of this. 

Regarding the dogs, if you go prone when you first see the dogs then they can't smell you. I'm not exactly sure what happens if they smell you and then you go prone, but I'd imagine it'd be similar to the stalker situation. 

Hopefully this helps somewhat. 

P.S. It's 4 am where I am so if this is an incoherent mess I apologise 

Edited by TerminatarMnA
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Very much hoping that works for TLOU2. Doing Grounded+ for my second playthrough to get the platinum. 

Also hoping that Grounded+ counts as beating "Grounded" so that I get that silver DLC trophy.

Fingers crossed... unless someone has definitive information...?

It does, just beat Grounded+ myself on Permadeath and they popped together.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SkyFight0r said:

Can you cheese the permadeath trophy via cloud save? So when u die quit the game and upload an old save file? 

Ive read the game somehow recognises it, some sort of hidden check.

I've not heard about USB though, so if you turn of network so removing the possible online checks, then that may work. Network off and USB backup.......

Let us know ;)

2 hours ago, SkyFight0r said:

Can you cheese the permadeath trophy via cloud save? So when u die quit the game and upload an old save file? 

No, closing the game automatically kills you, counts as a death.

But whats the point of cheesing, there is chapter permadeath, that’s exactly like cheesing. 

Edited by BlackTorito
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, BlackTorito said:

No, closing the game automatically kills you, counts as a death.

But whats the point of cheesing, there is chapter permadeath, that’s exactly like cheesing. 

Actually only in combat, outside of encounters, you are free to quit/reload and resume where you was.

And you're right about the already cheesy selection available! Sure, save backup will save you 10 or so minutes it will seem, but with load time, quitting, uploading, backing up etc, it's honestly not going to work out much quicker in the long run, more an hindrance! Chapter cheese is good enough here ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abi_abhiabi said:

Hi. Does permadeath mode have a save option? Can it be exploited with the save backup? Please let me know. Thanks in advance. 263a.png

No manual saves allowed. The game only creates automatic saves. Also, if you try to quit, the game will let you know if it's safe to quit. If it's unsafe, e.g. in a middle of a fight and you quit to main menu, the game will treat it as a death and will reset your progress.

Finally hit my first road block. I am getting my poop pushed all the way back in by the stalkers in The Forest chapter where you first meet Lev and Yara. Did anyone else have trouble here on grounded+ with chapter permadeath? I haven't even made it to the building with the hoard yet, I have no idea how I'm going to do that with no ammo, no companions and no stealth, not to mention the fist fight with the burly Seraphite woman with the hammer but I know if I die at either of those spots I'm just back to these stalkers. There seems to be no technique beyond dodging the initial uninterruptible two swipes and just hoping you aren't dodging into another stalker's attack behind you, they rush you 2 or 3 at a time, all swipe at you at the same time and you can only take a 2 or 3 hits. By far the most difficult part of grounded personally so far which I didn't expect.

I've been trying to watch speedrunners to see if there's a "strat" to this chapter but they all just do Ellie's part of the game and stop.

*Edit* Done, god bless slo-mo.

Edited by OakfieldPark
Clarification

For those who already finished Grounded, any combat tips?

I haven't gotten too far, but I would like to know before I even get there: how to approach the bloater fights and rat king?

What are some useful strats for cleaning rooms full of zombies as safe as possible?

3 hours ago, HusKy said:

I haven't gotten too far, but I would like to know before I even get there: how to approach the bloater fights and rat king?

What are some useful strats for cleaning rooms full of zombies as safe as possible?

Since you are supposed to be grabbed by the Flashback Bloater, you don't have to keep fighting him for a long time, although i'm not sure when is the point that he chases you for the cutscene and not to kill you (eventually he will stop looking at Joel and will only run towards you). Don't waste all your ammo on him, because even if it's a flashback, the remaining ammo will carry on to the present for some reason. Try to save your molotovs for the Arcade Bloater, throwing all three on him and a few shots you can kill him fast without causing the spawn of more runners to disturb the fight. 

For the Rat King, you don't need to be saving ammo (although having some Pipe Bombs for the fight will make it easier) since there are a lot of ammo boxes scattered through the map that keeps respawning ammo for all weapons. Use either the Flamethrower or Incendiary Shells against him, than keep shooting him until the Stalker gets separated from him, then focus on the Rat King until he dies, dodging the Stalker when needed. One route you can take to avoid his grab that will kill you instantly, is going from the starting area that has a pillar and an ammo box, through the surgery area with a window with another ammo box.  Run towards the room with the window, and when he gets close (this area he tries to go through the door instead of destroying the wall) just jump through the window and go back to the starting area behind the pillar. Once he runs to grab you, go around the pillar and go back to the surgery area. You can do this until he dies, just keep taking the ammo that spawns on the box and you won't have much trouble. The Stalker fight also has a few ammo boxes around. Since it's a smaller area, try to get rid of him ASAP to avoid being in the radius of his bomb that can kill you fast. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HusKy said:

Since Gaollion answered the Bloater and Rat King fight very detailed I will just comment your other question. :)

I often threw a bottle or a brick someplace to lure them all to one spot, then Molotov them for example.

But mostly I actually didn't even bother going into rooms like that, except if I had to - or knew there was something really good in there, since I mostly needed more materials/ammo to kill a group of zombies than gaining materials or ammo.

Alternatively craft a silencer and shoot them in the head to hopefully kill them unnoticed.

Other than that... patience... most of them walk around - take them out one by one.

* I always tried to bypass the normal Bloaters without being detected - or I ran past them if I knew I can make it to the next safe spot... since they are super annoying and ammo-consuming.