Chatterbox personal hell circle

I know the game came out years ago and it might not be so relevant today, but this particular problem persists with no definite answer.

Many players have been here, and the community is divided between those who guarantee that you don't necessarily need Whitman's second conversation and those who are convinced otherwise.

The main problem being Whitman's second conversation prompt not showing up, even with the required scraps before upgrading the pickaxe.

It occured to me that most of the former conviction were PC/Xbox players, and somehow the game glitched in their favour.

PS4 on the other hand is a shitstorm of trial and error.

Since the second conversation prompt didn't appear, I tried to be lucky rushing through the game and miserably failed, so all you out there having the same problem, coerce that mofo into talking to you.

Some suggest to take a stroll around and come back to him, but I'll try it once some sureproof feedback rolls this way, I'm not wasting another three hours just to look at a fourth playthrough.

Only the thought makes me shiver.

Any help or suggestion is highly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it makes a difference, but when I did my run through I made sure to speak to the characters repeatedly until their conversation prompts were exhausted - any time I was able to speak to someone I was able to speak to them 3 times (maybe more?). I spoke to Whitman multiple times before scavenging, but since the guides weren't too specific I missed any chance to speak to him again before opening the door and going through.

Trophy still popped at the end (when at the shipwreck beach)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Funny, I actually exhausted every conversation option, including that second convo with Whitman. And just now, after I've spoken to everyone for the last time, no trophy. Due to this trophy and the constant crashes and the save data corruption glitch, I can safely say that Crystal Dynamics are incompotent chimpanzees.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I think I ended up with only 1 of the 2 conversations with Whitman but the trophy popped when it's supposed to. I had already collected enough salvage before going to him so I didn't have the conversation option at first until he moved to the wheel. I'm not sure if I ended up getting all the conversation options with him there or if it was just the 1st or 2nd set. Either way I made sure to exhaust all the opportunities for a conversation when available. A few times I had to wait for the characters to end their in game dialogue before it would prompt me to start a conversation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Flex_Da_Brent said:

First one is definitely needed?

The first conversation with Whitman are not counted towards this trophy, and the game occasionally skips the second one with him. anyway there's no need to talk to him at Coastal Forest.

so look for the ones with Roth and the rest of the endurance crew later in the game.

3 minutes ago, mataningo said:

The first conversation with Whitman are not counted towards this trophy, and the game occasionally skips the second one with him. anyway there's no need to talk to him at Coastal Forest.

Just weird since the first convo with Whitman is the only one I missed and I didn't get the trophy, so either it glitched or you do need it, how you so certain you don't need it while every guide out there says you definitely need to have the first convo with him?

Edited by Flex_Da_Brent

3 minutes ago, Flex_Da_Brent said:

Just weird since the first convo with Whitman is the only one I missed and I didn't get the trophy, so either it glitched or you do need it, how you so certain you don't need it while every guide out there says you definitely need to have the first convo with him?

I didn't talked to him. you can trust me on that I did a speedrun.

You probably missed a conversation with one of the crew members. towards the end there is a conversation at Shipwreck Beach (the 2nd one) and Whitman will be with the crew and Reyes will be in the boat so make sure you don't miss talking to her because she's far away from everyone and it's easy to miss the chat with her.

9 minutes ago, mataningo said:

I didn't talked to him. you can trust me on that I did a speedrun.

You probably missed a conversation with one of the crew members. towards the end there is a conversation at Shipwreck Beach (the 2nd one) and Whitman will be with the crew and Reyes will be in the boat so make sure you don't miss talking to her because she's far away from everyone and it's easy to miss the chat with her.

Could be, it's been a while since that playthrough. I do, however, remember following a video guide after missing that first convo in the hope of unlocking it regardless but to no avail, but with that in mind I shouldn't have missed anything on the beach. Doesn't matter I guess, I'm gonna do them anyway just to be safe.

Edited by Flex_Da_Brent

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 1:14 AM, ThunderSaucepan said:

Funny, I actually exhausted every conversation option, including that second convo with Whitman. And just now, after I've spoken to everyone for the last time, no trophy. Due to this trophy and the constant crashes and the save data corruption glitch, I can safely say that Crystal Dynamics are incompotent chimpanzees.

This just happened to me after the OPs thing happened to me the first time. I made sure I talked to everyone and multiple times until the icon disappeared. Trash. 

The game crashed while it was auto saving so my data got corrupted on my 3rd playthrough.

I finally got it on #4.

This is the best link for Chatterbox. Simple and you don’t have to watch Powerpyx slowly go through every convo. 

NOTE: It is missing a full section on Whitman though. You speak to him 4 times both before AND after getting the salvage.

A playthrough from the beginning to Chatterbox’s end will take 3 hours on Easy if you only stop to pick up ammo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just got it, had to do a second playthrough cause I (or the game) probably messed up the first time around with Whitman.

The second prompt for Whitman never appeared the second time around (neither after getting the salvage, neither after upgrading the axe), don't remember the first time, yet it did pop, thankfully. Seeing everyone has different situations, this one is really a headache...

P.s: the first time around Shipwreck Beach, the prompt did take some seconds to appear on any of them (think they were still talking to each other), so keep an eye on that as well. Also, what was said, you sometimes need to talk to the same one 3 or even 4 times.

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2020 at 6:50 PM, MightyKingPupu said:

I know the game came out years ago and it might not be so relevant today, but this particular problem persists with no definite answer.

Many players have been here, and the community is divided between those who guarantee that you don't necessarily need Whitman's second conversation and those who are convinced otherwise.

The main problem being Whitman's second conversation prompt not showing up, even with the required scraps before upgrading the pickaxe.

It occured to me that most of the former conviction were PC/Xbox players, and somehow the game glitched in their favour.

PS4 on the other hand is a shitstorm of trial and error.

Since the second conversation prompt didn't appear, I tried to be lucky rushing through the game and miserably failed, so all you out there having the same problem, coerce that mofo into talking to you.

Some suggest to take a stroll around and come back to him, but I'll try it once some sureproof feedback rolls this way, I'm not wasting another three hours just to look at a fourth playthrough.

Only the thought makes me shiver.

Any help or suggestion is highly appreciated.

No, I did not need a "second" conversation with "the good doctor" and I'm on PS4. Make sure you get every prompt before moving on the first time and don't miss any other dialogue that you may have overlooked or maybe there was a glitch somewhere else along the line. I noticed one in particular with Reyes where her prompts appeared early and persisted repeating the last one of the set. I refreshed and let the required group conversation happen and then the prompts completed as normal, but I haven't seen anyone else mention anything else like that happening yet.

I tried everything I could try to get anything else out of Whitman before, after, and everything in between every step and still only got one set of prompts not wanting to take any chances of missing any set so I cannot verify if there were supposed to be more. I should have kept track of exactly what the dialogue was though so we could compare that because it doesn't seem like anyone has actually done that yet either.

1 hour ago, syylone said:

No, I did not need a "second" conversation with "the good doctor" and I'm on PS4. Make sure you get every prompt before moving on the first time and don't miss any other dialogue that you may have overlooked or maybe there was a glitch somewhere else along the line. I noticed one in particular with Reyes where her prompts appeared early and persisted repeating the last one of the set. I refreshed and let the required group conversation happen and then the prompts completed as normal, but I haven't seen anyone else mention anything else like that happening yet.

I tried everything I could try to get anything else out of Whitman before, after, and everything in between every step and still only got one set of prompts not wanting to take any chances of missing any set so I cannot verify if there were supposed to be more. I should have kept track of exactly what the dialogue was though so we could compare that because it doesn't seem like anyone has actually done that yet either.

Doing Satan's work, necro-boy 

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Started the story again missing only chatterbox. Got to Whitman and only got the conversation where he's flabbergasted at the wall paintings. After collecting 50 scrap he wouldn't prompt for another conversation - not before and not after upgrading the axe. IGN mentions that you cannot get the second conversation before upgrading the axe in the definitive edition.

I'm gonna go forward hoping to get the trophy without the second conversation...

• 5 weeks later...