Kristen Danielle Plays Resident Evil

Kristen Danielle

One of my most memorable gaming moments came with Resident Evil.

Back in the 20th, I had rented the original. Me and my roommate were working thru the game, the lights were down low, the dogs were napping on the couches and we had a bowl of popcorn between us. I entered the hallway near the beginning of RE1 and had the dog leap thru the window...

at that point, the popcorn went flying..the dogs went flying...general chaos happened.

Hand to God....

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Wow! Okay. It has been far too long since I've written anything in this thread. After beating Resident Evil 0, I kind of forgot about this thing while playing through Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 and then after that, I was a bit burnt out on video gaming in general and needed a break. I've only just gotten back into it and have now platinumed Resident Evil 3 as well. This post will cover the Resident Evil 2002 remake, which I played via the PS4 HD Resident Evil Origins Collection.

fdb61129-3268-40ea-bce4-b776ae36e0ef.jpe

:platinum: Platinum #2:

Resident Evil (HD Remaster)

DIFFICULTY: 1/10 (Very Easy), 2/10 (Easy), 4/10 (Normal), 6/10 (Hard and Real Survival), 7/10 (Knife Only Run)

ENJOYABILITY: 8/10

FEAR FACTOR: 5.5/10 (First Time), 1/10 (Subsequent Playthroughs)

DO I RECOMMEND? Yes

What can I say about the game that started it all? As I did with Resident Evil 0, I'll start by mentioning the things this game did well. To begin, I really enjoyed the character development in this title. While I must admit that I never got to experience the shock and awe that likely came with discovering for the first time that Wesker was evil, as I was too familiar with the franchise in general at the time that I first started playing it to be surprised by that reveal, I absolutely favored Wesker over Marcus as a villain. While Marcus was entirely possessed of the "MUAHAHA" supervillain personality, Wesker was calm and nonchalant about his evil intentions and I found his attitude to be a great deal more sinister and effective in displaying the callous disregard for human life that Umbrella Corporation exhibits on a daily basis. Second, like Billy and Rebecca before them, I also loved the chemistry between Chris and Jill. Despite the fact that there were very few scenes in which they were together, it was made obvious in the opening scenes that Jill cared very much for Chris' wellbeing and he for hers. Barry's professional and supportive relationship with Jill and how it is influenced by Wesker later on was also well done. Lastly, I LOVED the addition of the V-ACT process and the crimson heads, as this upped the fear factor for me considerably. I have diokophobia, which is the fear of being chased (even if what is chasing me means me no harm) and as this was my only real video game experience with that up until Mr. X came to town in Resident Evil 2's remake (I've never played the original), it really increased my enjoyment of the game. The only thing I found a little silly was Wesker's penchant for sunglasses at all times with no exceptions, but that has become such a classic joke for series veterans that one can't really complain about it.

Plot wise, I thought the story was a bit circular and I normally don't like games in which you find out that the person in charge or the character that you trusted the most is the villain (such as the original Assassin's Creed), but I feel like Resident Evil handled it better than most. In making Wesker both a villain in his own right with his own agenda and a player in a larger organization that can and will be expanded upon later, it manages to avoid the feeling of pointlessness that such games usually give me.

Now, when speaking of the gameplay and game mechanics, I loved the classic feel and all of the puzzles that one has come to expect in the older Resident Evil titles, but if I could criticize one thing, it would be the lack of continuity between the Chris and Jill scenarios. Unlike what Resident Evil 2's remake would do later, even the best endings of the two different scenarios were depicted so differently that I have seen many new players taking to the internet to ask series veterans who actually survived the mansion incident. As one scenario depicts Jill, Barry, and Chris and the other depicts Chris, Rebecca, and Jill, some players were unclear on the actual canon outcome of the game. However, even if I tried to think of more, that little issue is probably the only thing that I really found wrong with or annoying about this game. Real Survival mode was a cakewalk compared to Resident Evil 0's Hard mode and the knife only run and invisible enemies run were not all that bad (mostly because they could be done with the difficulty set to Very Easy), so I have no complaints there, either. The only thing that was slightly difficult was the no save run, especially when Lisa Trevor knocked me off of the platform near the end of the game and I had to start all of it over again, but all in all, it was a great experience and I was able to do eight playthroughs to get the platinum without too much trouble. The only thing I could even think to add, if I could remake it, would be to have a little bit of a DLC in which the relationship between the Chris and Jill scenarios is explained for newcomers to the series.

THE GOOD

Character Development

Wesker's Attitude

Plot

Puzzles

Classic Backtracking Feel

Crimson Heads

THE BAD

Lack of Continuity Between Scenarios

THE UGLY

None

OVERALL RATING: 9/10

I PROMISE I WON'T WAIT FIVE MONTHS FOR MY NEXT ENTRY TO THIS, GUYS! THANKS FOR READING! ?

Edited by Kristen Danielle
  • Like 1

You were gone a while, but that didn’t stop you from getting Resident Evil 3 done. 

You going to do anything that is non horror? The next horror game I will be doing after the Resident Evil remake is probably The Evil Within. The same guy who made Resident Evil made Evil Within. Kudos to him for doing Vanquish, awesome cover based third person shooter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

RE4 Remake? Is this real?

Yep! There was a massive data breach for Capcom's upcoming projects. RE4R is slated for Q4 of 2022. ?

https://www.gamesradar.com/resident-evil-8-launch-window-leaks-after-capcom-ransomware-attack/

Edited by Kristen Danielle
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kristen Danielle said:

Yep! There was a massive data breach for Capcom's upcoming projects. RE4R is slated for Q4 of 2022. 1f601.png

https://www.gamesradar.com/resident-evil-8-launch-window-leaks-after-capcom-ransomware-attack/

Yup yup. The leak goes in dept into plans for the next 3 to 4 years.

Edited by Alufeii
  • Like 1