Here's why I'm not excited about PS5...

jackmadrox

That's not really a problem with Sony but the complete industry. Everyone was whining about season passes and stuff and publishers reacted with Game as a Service. Of course this system is complete BS but the majority asked for it because they didn't think outside the box. They just didn't want to pay for expansions. And what did they get? A scattered base game. I'd rather pay for a season pass than waiting for the next "season" that were named "update" back in the days.

But, as mentioned, this is a general problem and not Sony or PS5 related.

• Like 2

I don't think we have to worry about a bunch of remasters this go around because of backwards compatibility. I think we may see more remakes from the ground up, but I'm expecting to see a lot more creativity and ingenuity when it comes to this.

I also wouldn't expect microtransactions to get WORSE. Making games may get more expensive to make, but that's why we're just going to get more expensive games if that's the case (already rumors of $70-$80 games potentially). There's definitely a strong market for SP games (look at the sales for Ghost of Tsushima or TLOUP2) so it's not like we're going to lose SP games. Not to mention all the backlash and negative press on loot boxes the past couple of years. It's likely to stay where it's at imo.

I'm not very hyped about the new console personally (too much mystery surrounding it), but I'm not ready to write it off completely either.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Feel very differently about gaming.  Not that I need the PS5 at launch (because of my backlog), but I much preferred the PS4 generation over the PS3 generation.

Gameplay was much better (no more clunky controls), graphics improved, games were deeper and more immersive.  Can’t wait for this to continue.

I feel the same way. Yeah - there are a lot of remasters, but it's so much smoother now than in the PS3 generation. My main gripe with PS4 is that JRPGs have really taken a tumble this generation.

Eh? Sony and Ninty, at least, still release complete, quality, single player content. The only thing that concerns me, in terms of your theory around the further proliferation of MT, is that MS may force the industry down the subscriptions”Gamepass” model. That would obviously lead to greater incentive to add MT, needless competitive multiplayer and “game as a service” crap. Let’s hope Sony continue to hold their first party output as a separate  entity to their own PS Now service.

1 hour ago, Zenpai said:

Try playing more Japanese games. A cursory look through your profile tells me you've played nearly none.

Loads more fun, a lot less bullshit.

Sony first-party games are good for what you're itching for, too.

This is generally a great idea but, although I much prefer Japanese games myself, some of these Japanese devs run hundreds of pounds worth of cosmetic micro transaction content. It’s right he should play them, but not because they don’t suffer from the issues he highlights.

I feel you. This trend is just a side effect of the dizzying pace of life in modern society.

Everything moves at lightning speed nowadays. Developers are constantly competing for the attention of entitled consumers who have come to expect instant gratification in every area of their lives, and for whom the average attention span is comparable to that of a gnat, and on top of that they are under tremendous pressure from executives and publishers to get their games to market as fast as humanly possible. And when they do come to market (often in a pitiful and broken state) it’s always with the understanding that there are strings attached - MTX, DLCs, remasters and repackages, paid promotions etc. - and that they are expected to squeeze that product for every single last dime while they can. 

None of this changes my feelings towards the PS5 or my mild excitement for the new generation of consoles. But I would be lying if I said I don’t often long for those days when things moved a little slower, when major game released were spread farther apart, and when you could rest assured the game you were purchasing was full, complete, and thoroughly tested.

I suspect most people will disagree with me on this, but I don’t even like the wildly popular trend of DLCs in games. There are only a handful of games I can think of where I feel like my purchase of a DLC was completely justified by the content I received in exchange. In the majority of cases, DLCs often feel like content that could have been (or originally was) part of the full game, but was cut and packaged separately so they could squeeze another $20-30 bucks from you easily a couple months down the line.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jackmadrox said:

A new generation of gaming, what an exciting time, right? Not to me. 

It's not even the console itself that I'm not excited about. It's more the games that are going to come out for it. Let me explain.

Look at how games are released today: broken, buggy and unfinished with multiplayer modes that heavily encourage microtransactions that are borderline pay to win. Examples of such games are GTA Online, WWE 2K20, Fallout 76, etc. Why are games released in these ways now? Remember when you bought a game and it was functional on release day? Or an online mode that you could just hop on and enjoy with your friends with no broken in game economies that either make you grind your ass off to get to a decent level or give up a few almighty dollars to skip ahead a few ranks/levels. Or how about these new battle passes? Red Dead Online is doing it, so is Dead By Daylight, which are two games that are always in a busted and buggy state. A battle pass to a game that is unplayable? Why give more to a greedy gaming company that doesn't give a shit about your fun, or how buggy and busted their game is? They laugh all the way to the bank, while you struggle to play their game. 

And here comes PS5. I'm trusting my intuition about it. PS5 games will be absolutely littered with pay to win games and battle passes and remasters of games you already have bought before (GTAV, Control, etc). Get prepped for your new career as a beta tester, and you better be okay with not getting paid for it, because in the PS5 era, I suspect broken on release games and paywalls will just be the norm. You are literally paying them to do their job for them. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to play unfinished games that cause frustration because they don't work as they should. 

Maybe it won't be as bad as all that, I don't know for sure. I just see games the way they are now and I fear the trend of broken and busted microtransaction-hungry games are gonna take over completely in the era of PS5. It's honestly the reason why I'm gonna wait on the sidelines when PS5 releases. I'm good on PS4 for now.

Bro Then wait a Year and Then See because i will buy it 

indies, bro. playing independent games will revive your appreciation for the artform of gaming in every way. They don't rush to meet deadlines, they push games back for eternity until they're ready, and only after they gain support from fans by backing them to help with the development. AAA games inherently create unrealistic expectations; indies don't. if an indie game is unpolished it's because there was only one dude working on it, if a AAA game is unpolished it's because it's a AAA game and wtf else should we expect from those greedy, corporate dick bags. I'd pay 60 bucks for Silksong way before spending 20 bucks on Marvel's Avengers

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jackmadrox said:

A new generation of gaming, what an exciting time, right? Not to me. 

It's not even the console itself that I'm not excited about. It's more the games that are going to come out for it. Let me explain.

Look at how games are released today: broken, buggy and unfinished with multiplayer modes that heavily encourage microtransactions that are borderline pay to win. Examples of such games are GTA Online, WWE 2K20, Fallout 76, etc. Why are games released in these ways now? Remember when you bought a game and it was functional on release day? Or an online mode that you could just hop on and enjoy with your friends with no broken in game economies that either make you grind your ass off to get to a decent level or give up a few almighty dollars to skip ahead a few ranks/levels. Or how about these new battle passes? Red Dead Online is doing it, so is Dead By Daylight, which are two games that are always in a busted and buggy state. A battle pass to a game that is unplayable? Why give more to a greedy gaming company that doesn't give a shit about your fun, or how buggy and busted their game is? They laugh all the way to the bank, while you struggle to play their game. 

And here comes PS5. I'm trusting my intuition about it. PS5 games will be absolutely littered with pay to win games and battle passes and remasters of games you already have bought before (GTAV, Control, etc). Get prepped for your new career as a beta tester, and you better be okay with not getting paid for it, because in the PS5 era, I suspect broken on release games and paywalls will just be the norm. You are literally paying them to do their job for them. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to play unfinished games that cause frustration because they don't work as they should. 

Maybe it won't be as bad as all that, I don't know for sure. I just see games the way they are now and I fear the trend of broken and busted microtransaction-hungry games are gonna take over completely in the era of PS5. It's honestly the reason why I'm gonna wait on the sidelines when PS5 releases. I'm good on PS4 for now.

I'm guessing you're around 17-25 years old. What you're talking about is nothing new. It's how A LOT of people feel about new consoles/games for those consoles. Bugs need to be worked out, the best games probably won't be until 3-6 years after the PS5 comes out. It's the same cycle over and over. It's how PS2 was, it's how PS3 was and it's how PS4 was.

Anyway, I can tell you're age too because you're complaining about pay-to-win. If you had been around gaming for longer, you would notice that pay-to-win has been dying down drastically and is almost non-existent now, compared to 5-10 years ago.

I personally wait around 1 year after a console's release before I start thinking about getting it. And I'm assume that's how most people are as well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, iGGTheEnd said:

Sony exclusives rarely have micro transaction and same with most indie games.  Just don't buy anything EA, Ubi, Bethesda or Activision and it isn't so bad honestly.

What about 2K? don't forget about their gambling simulator! ?

5 minutes ago, NetoStyle said:

What about 2K? don't forget about their gambling simulator! 1f3c0.png

5 minutes ago, NetoStyle said:

What about 2K? don't forget about their gambling simulator! 1f3c0.png

Ya true but I haven't played a sports game since PS2 so I kind of just forgot about them.

How ironic that it took less than a decade to destroy what it took 4 decades to create.

Broken games, micro-transactions, day one DLC, pre-orders, have been the standard for 2 gaming generations and NOW people are starting to take notice? 

Unbelievably, what we all thought would be the evolution of gaming became its demise: The Internet AND the HDD.

Because of those two factors, every one of the plagues that we now experience are possible. Before that, games had to be complete BEFORE they were released, there were no patches, there were no updates, there were no possible delistings. Once it was purchased, it was MINE; there were no licence issues, no possible revocations, limitations or expirations. 

• Like 1