Any visual novel recommendations?

Astray404

Either in Japanese or not in Japanese is fine for me, just need something to read and relax _(:з」∠)_

- Update -

(1) I might need to make some lists here, in case you are wondering what I've played and what I haven't ?

(2) Added colors to indicate my personal recommendation level, green means highly recommend, orange means not bad, red means not recommend

My appreciation for your advice and recommendations

VN games I have played

Danganronpa

Danganronpa 2

Fate/Hollow Ataraxia

Hakuouki Kyoka Roku

My Name is Mayo (Yes it is)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk

Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness

Soukai Buccaneers

Steins;Gate 0

VA-11 Hall-A

White Album 2

いますぐお兄ちゃんに妹だっていいたい!(https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/2570-いますぐお兄ちゃんに妹だっていいたい/)

Recommendations I got

428 Shibuya Scramble

7'sCarlet

Bad Apple Wars

Chaos; Child

Collar x Malice

Danganronpa V3

Death Mark

Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms

Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds

Metropolis Lux Obscura

Muv-Luv

Muv-Luv Alternative

Norn 9

Nurse Love Addiction

Nurse Love Syndrome

Our World Is Ended

Pantsu Hunter: Back to the 90s

Punch Line

Root Letter

Stein's Gate

The House in Fata Morgana

Utawarerumono Mask of Deception

Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth

World End Syndrome

Yumeutsutsu Re:After

Yumeutsutsu Re:Master

YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World

Zero Escape (series)

Edited by Astray404
  • Like 1

May not be your thing but Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is pretty great in my opinion and mostly falls under what you're looking for. 

Edit: Didn't realize that you meant for PSVita, I don't think it's on there so I apologize, I hope you find something soon though! 

Edited by Wild_Cloud151

40 minutes ago, Wild_Cloud151 said:

May not be your thing but Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is pretty great in my opinion and mostly falls under what you're looking for. 

Edit: Didn't realize that you meant for PSVita, I don't think it's on there so I apologize, I hope you find something soon though! 

I have already played the Ace Attorney bundle but still thanks lol

28 minutes ago, communistwookiee said:

Zero Escape series is best.

How many Zero Escape titles on vita? IIRC there's Virtue's Last Reward

Edited by Astray404

The Zero Escape series is good, as is the Danganronpa games. Both have some gameplay/puzzle elements to them aside from just reading and selecting different story options.

I absolutely love Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0.

Code: Realize - Guardian of Rebirth was surprisingly entertaining, though that was a PS Plus game and I wouldn't recommend paying $40 for it.

9 hours ago, Astray404 said:

How many Zero Escape titles on vita? IIRC there's Virtue's Last Reward

The Nonary Games are on Vita as well, I think.

Steins Gate is always a great choice (although I disliked Steins Gate 0). A lot of fellow Vita owners disagree, but I enjoyed Amnesia: Memories. Pure stupidity, and it was free on PS+ some time ago. I don't know that I'd like it as much were it not free, however.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tetho_mig said:

Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative, their reputation is well deserved. Without doubt one of the greatest tale ever told by man. I cried at the end.

I totally agree! 

Lots of great ones mentioned already....The House in Fata Morgana & Chaos; Child are excellent both have stories that are dark & intense.

CollarxMalice, 7'sCarlet, Norn 9, Bad Apple Wars....Some of the Otome's are fun also.

Edited by sunnydaleAlumni
changed something
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, xxEliteCDxx said:

Have you played Stein's Gate :) ?

As mentioned above, it is a great game, and a great series to watch as well!

I've only played SG0 on my PS4, and I'll definitely try SG someday

5 hours ago, MoniqueOP said:

If you haven't played it you NEED to play Danganronpa

It's a Masterpiece

Danganronpa V3 is the only title I've never played, but I heard that the story is kinda shitty. Is this true?

On 8/17/2020 at 1:03 PM, MoniqueOP said:

If you haven't played it you NEED to play Danganronpa

It's a Masterpiece

Of course. How did I leave that out? I guess I don't think of it as a VN in the traditional sense.

But yeah - this is the best of the best in my opinion, but I think he's already played them.

Edited by starcrunch061

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

It's a great game, but a really annoying platinum (particularly if you play without guides, which you absolutely should do).

Oh the despair is already starting ☹

I am actually looking forward to getting back into that world. It is like the Nonary games, it is just a fun world to explore

Edited by Dr_Mayus

Just now, Dr_Mayus said:

Oh the despair is already starting 2639.png

I am actually looking forward to getting back into that world. It is like the Nonary games, it is just a fun world to explore

It would be a shame to do the trials while looking at a guide. However, there is a really annoying trophy which requires you to do "backdoors" in trials (which are explained in game). You'll pretty much NEVER figure them out on your own as you are already tossing around the logic of the trials in your head, which means that you have to do every trial twice.

Also, there's the board game. Oh God - the board game.

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

It would be a shame to do the trials while looking at a guide. However, there is a really annoying trophy which requires you to do "backdoors" in trials (which are explained in game). You'll pretty much NEVER figure them out on your own as you are already tossing around the logic of the trials in your head, which means that you have to do every trial twice.

Also, there's the board game. Oh God - the board game.

Damn, you really are trying to fill me with despair ?

So, worse than island mode in 2?

Metropolis Lux Obscura

Pantsu Hunter Back to the 90s

Nurse Love Addiction

Nurse Love Syndrome 

Punch Line

On 17/08/2020 at 4:00 PM, Tetho_mig said:

Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative, their reputation is well deserved. Without doubt one of the greatest tale ever told by man. I cried at the end.

But wasn’t the western version censored to high heaven? Or am I thinking of something else? Not sure I could enjoy a story whilst continually feeling I’m missing out on removed content.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

25 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

But wasn’t the western version censored to high heaven? Or am I thinking of something else? Not sure I could enjoy a story whilst continually feeling I’m missing out on removed content.

The western Vita version contains the same edits that every Japanese console version of the game. Meaning no sex scenes, obviously, and some of the goriest CG of Alternative are edited to be less graphic, which in turn makes some of them even more disturbing. (I will not post examples because obvious spoilers) So if this is censorship to you, it's not exclusive to the western version but all console editions everywhere.

The Steam edition have the same edits but there is a "director's cut" patch you can buy on an exterior website to restore cut content.

Now if you ask me the cut content isn't much. The sex scenes aren't very interesting nor well written and the shock value of the more violent moments is still there. If you can't play it on PC or want it with you on the go, you will not miss much.