Any visual novel recommendations?

Astray404

1 minute ago, Tetho_mig said:

The western Vita version contains the same edits that every Japanese console version of the game. Meaning no sex scenes, obviously, and some of the goriest CG of Alternative are edited to be less graphic, which in turn makes some of them even more disturbing. (I will not post examples because obvious spoilers) So if this is censorship to you, it's not exclusive to the western version but all console editions everywhere.

The Steam edition have the same edits but there is a "director's cut" patch you can buy on an exterior website to restore cut content.

Now if you ask me the cut content isn't much. The sex scenes aren't very interesting nor well written and the shock value of the more violent moments is still there. If you can't play it on PC or want it with you on the go, you will not miss much.

Fair enough. In situation where I can’t get a full version, and was interested enough, I’d just try to find a video or stream. Thank you for the clarification.

3 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Damn, you really are trying to fill me with despair 1f605.png

So, worse than island mode in 2?

They’re not even comparable. The worst part is that the game is actually fun the first couple of times you play. It’s the next 50 or so that get to you.

On 8/17/2020 at 6:58 PM, Astray404 said:

Danganronpa V3 is the only title I've never played, but I heard that the story is kinda shitty. Is this true?

It’s the ending. It’s too clever by half. Until then, it was quite good. But then, it kind of torpedoes the whole series.

Edited by starcrunch061

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

They’re not even comparable. The worst part is that the game is actually fun the first couple of times you play. It’s the next 50 or so that get to you.

It’s the ending. It’s too clever by half. Until then, it was quite good. But then, it kind of torpedoes the whole series.

That sucks, really it does. Oh well, need to finish the series

I'm playing YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world right now.

I'm not sure if I'll recommend it though. It's a time travel story to some degree but the main character has a predetermined destiny to bang all the girls (and women) in sight.

I'll sound like a broken record but I'd also STRONGLY recommend Muv-Luv and more importantly, its sequel Alternative. 

I wrote this on another forum a few months ago:

Muv Luv is comprised of two stories. The first story is a fairly average waifu simulator and then the second story is an alternate reality alien invasion scenario. But you need to play the first story it for context.

Then you can finally dive in to and appreciate Muv Luv Alternative, the greatest VN I've ever read.

Alternative is an incredibly dense, vicious and unrelenting story of courage and perserverence against an alien invasion that is beyond terrifying. It's so incredibly bleak that the main character has to receive therapy for his PTSD during the game. Indeed, Alternative goes so far in the opposite direction from Muv Luv that you start to wish the main character could've just remained an idiot, hitting on girls in school again.

On 17/08/2020 at 11:49 AM, Astray404 said:

Recommendations I got

Danganronpa V3 - It's good but the ending is questionable... You'll either love it or hate it. 

Death Mark - It's a set of creepy stories. I'd put it as above average overall. There is another game in the series - Spirit Hunter NG that I'd like to get my hands on soon. 

Muv-Luv - To be blunt, Muv-Luv is like an entree before the main course.

Muv-Luv Alternative - And here is the main course. Probably the best visual novel I've ever, ever played.

Root Letter - I really didn't like Root Letter. The translation is poor, the characters are extremely bland and the plot becomes a bit of a boring mess when the multiple endings get involved.  

Stein's Gate - Play it. And while not as good, Steins;Gate 0 is also worth playing too.

Zero Escape (series) - Download The Nonary Games collection and play that. 999 and Virtue's Last Reward are brilliant. However, Zero Time Dilemma is not up to par as the first 2 entries.

Also look in to 428 Shibuya Scramble - Originally released on Wii and then re-released on PS4 about 2 years ago. The game is a series of live action stills with an emphasis on timing - 5 interrelated stories all dependent on when each character does what to progress the overall story. It's a really brilliant story.

• Like 1

Nice thread for others as I'm into these though what some people are posting aren't strictly VNs but what falls under "adventure game". Most people see both as one and the same but some people out there will enjoy Adventure games but really not want a strict VN. Thought I'd mention it, though no big deal.

On 20/08/2020 at 9:37 PM, starcrunch061 said:

That sort of plot does seem hated (seen another series that had a great game of theirs get a lot of hate due to that sort of thing) but it shouldn't have torpedoed the series. Can always just state officially that it is an alternative universe/non-canon/lies.

18 hours ago, thekingsman123 said:

Also look in to 428 Shibuya Scramble - Originally released on Wii and then re-released on PS4 about 2 years ago. The game is a series of live action stills with an emphasis on timing - 5 interrelated stories all dependent on when each character does what to progress the overall story. It's a really brilliant story.

I second this. Went in shaky wondering how well this was going to go as live action still stuff can be done really poorly but overall it was done excellently and the gimmick where you're zapping around character to character and a choice somewhere making something happen in another's story is good. It does in essence have a sequel in an anime, but until you finish 428 you really shouldn't look into it OP and anyone else interested.

On 21/08/2020 at 9:28 PM, thekingsman123 said:

I'm playing YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world right now.

Ok, I just got the platinum for this game then and I found it mostly engaging but with only one caveat.

And that's the incest. Im not talking about the step-parent kind either (which does happen). I'm talking about the blood-related one. 

This game is a remake of an old 90s visual novel. I'd generally recommend it. But it doesnt help when the game decides to ANIMATE THE PART WHERE THE INCEST IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN.

YU-NO is setup similar to Muv Luv. Waifu simulator first and then a sci fi action adventure story for the second half. Like I said before, it's engaging for the most part.

(Ooh, there is an anime! I'm gonna watch that now too.)

Edited by thekingsman123

7 hours ago, thekingsman123 said:

Ok, I just got the platinum for this game then and I found it mostly engaging but with only one caveat.

And that's the incest. Im not talking about the step-parent kind either (which does happen). I'm talking about the blood-related one. 

This game is a remake of an old 90s visual novel. I'd generally recommend it. But it doesnt help when the game decides to ANIMATE THE PART WHERE THE INCEST IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN.

YU-NO is setup similar to Muv Luv. Waifu simulator first and then a sci fi action adventure story for the second half. Like I said before, it's engaging for the most part.

(Ooh, there is an anime! I'm gonna watch that now too.)

Added to wish list. I take it the PS4 version isn’t censorsed as this released some years ago before the waifu massacres?

Edited by thefourfoldroot

• 3 weeks later...

If i remember well the ones i beat.....

-Amnesia:Memories "vita" (first one i play, pretty decent story in general, also got bonus minigames)

-Code Realize - Guardian Of Rebirth "vita" (more entretaining story honestly, beautiful art for the vita too)

-Hatoful Boyfriend "vita" (for the lols)

-Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi "Ps3" (great game in general for being a VN, i remember that this is a extended port of the psp story but with bonus content, well worth your money if you are going for it, got the limited edition)

AccessEngage21.png

Edited by AccessEngage21

• 8 months later...

Best in terms of mindblowing story and plot twists.

-Zero Escape trilogy (999, Virtue's Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma)

-Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0

-Danganronpa trilogy (Trigger Happy Havoc, Goodbye Despair, Killing Harmony)

Also great ones:

-The House in Fata Morgana (note: must-play if you want sad and tragic tales, with lots of twists too)

-Utawarerumono trilogy (Prelude of the Fallen, Mask of Deception, Mask of Truth)

-Punchline